Aberrant: Dead Rising - Origins: Relationships are History (James)[Mature] [Finished]

Courier

Monday November 13th. Z-Day.

2:00 PM: James DeBeer, 4 km up in the air.

Flying up had been a nice thrill. Falling down was more traumatic. James had sky dived before, but not having a parachute made a difference.

James yelled mindlessly for a moment, ran out of breath, then watched his doom coming without a word. He landed almost on his feet on the far side of the Hospital parking lot. Off balance James fell to his side and then breathed deeply for several moments. That had sucked. No, if there was no splat then it was a good landing.

James rolled to his feet and looked around. There was a sea of cars to one side and a row of trees to the other and apparently no one had seen him other than an inquisitive squirrel. James said to the squirrel, "I meant to do that." The squirrel looked like it didn't believe him. James added, "Just like Neo. Everyone falls the first time."

James clicked his radio on but dispatch and even 911 were still off line. Bringing a squad of police here would only result in dead police anyway. First things first, and the first thing was that his crew and whatever was left of the Maternity wing were in danger.

James eyed the Hospital Towers then glanced at the sun. West was that way so the West Tower should be that one. James eyed the roof, breathed hard, and couldn't bring himself to jump. He mentally called himself a coward, reminded himself of the zombies eating babies, and then breathed hard again. This time he leaped.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2:00 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - West Tower Roof

James landed on the roof a dozen feet away from the edge. The thinking and worrying about the leap had been harder than the doing.

James breathed hard for a few moments and wondered if this was something he'd get used to. A Superman song came to mind. Something about it's not being easy to be me.

James walked to the edge and waved at the North Tower. After a few moments he could see them waving back. Climbing should be a snap for someone strong enough to do one finger push ups, and so it was. Maternity was level 6, the roof was on top of level 8, other than occasionally having to poke holes in the wall going down two floors was easy. The first room with live people in it had a young blond woman with a new baby. She looked to be about 18, she'd been crying, and had just given birth. Under other circumstances she might have been pretty. James knocked on the window to attract attention and she walked over and said,

"Hey, I'm Norma. How are you going to get me down?"

James realized he had no idea. James said, "Hey Norma, I'm James. And, I'm not sure. I need both hands to climb and you probably don't want to leap down several stories. Let me in and we'll think about it."

2:45 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

James handed over Norma and 'baby-boy' to waiting hands. It'd taken time to fashion a sling for both of them he could carry but still leave his hands free. It'd taken time to coax Norma with her unnamed baby (James?) into it. It'd taken time to climb down to the main building's roof and walk from West to North. It'd taken time to climb back up.

But having done it once James thought the next time would go faster.

2:45 PM. Suburb of Fort Worth, Texas.

JoAnna, Jillian, & Chris

JoAnna sneaked away from the boys' room leaving them and Chris. The boys been hard to settle down for their nap. The news coming out on the TV was increasingly grim and the children had picked up on the adults' unease. After lunch Chris and Jo had elected to entertain the boys, Jill was chosen to monitor the world.

Jo walked into the family room and found Jill sitting in front of the TV and sharpening a well crafted sword. Jill was wearing combat armor too. Jo paused and watched Jill then asked quietly, "What's with the sword and armor?"

Jill said, "They've canceled Monday night football. They're also saying we shouldn't go to the hospital, we should just stay home indoors." Jo realized, She's afraid, and not of missing football. She knows more.

Jo waited a moment then asked, "What else?"

Jill replied, "Two things. First the local news said they were sending someone down to the hospital, they made a big deal of it and then nothing. It's like they just fell off the planet. Second, I got the phone while you were in there. It was Jill, she's another SCA gal. Her brother told her he found someone who was sick, and he attacked him. Like, mindlessly attacked him. He told her he thinks one of the side effects of this is a PCP-like rage."

Jo digested this and asked, "Do we know anyone who works at a hospital? Are they saying how widespread this is?"

Jill replied, "Chris and I don't, but Mom and Dad know a number of people. I called them." Jill stopped talking.

JoAnna thought, Desperate times indeed. Jo waited a moment and asked, "And?"

Jill replied grimly, "And it was a bad idea. I didn't learn anything I didn't already know."

JoAnna translated, Meaning you talked about Chris and not about calling the hospital. And after fighting with your parents, you're still more scared than angry. JoAnna shivered and asked, "Any idea how widespread?"

Jill replied, "Local news is only about the Dallas area. CNN, it's at least the US, my impression is other countries are also having problems but I can't truly say."

JoAnna asked, "How much food do we have?"

Jill answered, "Less than I'd like. We were going to go shopping today, what with everything I'm staying put."

7:30 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

James sat down in the one of the rooms off the lounge, he was exhausted and figured he was done for the day. The lack of an instruction manual had seriously beaten him up. For hours he'd carried one person at a time down the wall in a sling. That was hard and difficult. Then overweight Fred with the red-hair, or red-Fred, had pointed out if a two mile fall hadn't broken the radio, anything James was carrying would survive a super-leap. Comic book physics indeed.

Instead of spending a half an hour for one person, James could pick up two people and spend a few seconds. 10 Trips. 6 babies, 11 women, 4 men.

Dave, somewhat corpse like, sat down a few chairs down. James said, "Time?"

Dave didn't respond. James waited a few seconds and then asked again, "Time? Don't tell me you've lost track."

Dave said, "James... is your cell phone off?"

Something was odd here and very wrong. James got out his phone and clicked it back on. While it warmed up James said, "Yeah. I haven't really had a moment's rest since getting up this morning."

Dave closed his eyes and said, "I got another call from Mary. That hospital they went to turned bad like here. She said... Rob killed Janet. Mary and your mother made it upstairs, one or both of them are hurt. Your sister Gail didn't make it up with them but Mary doesn't know what happened to her. Alex and your father were headed over to help with Rob, Mary didn't know what happened to them either but they weren't responding to calls."

James inhaled sharply. Dave was serious, he wouldn't joke about Mary and even Fred wouldn't go this far for a prank. Still this was totally wrong. James said, "No, that's not right. This is terrorism and it's a Dallas thing. Texas at the worst."

Dave replied, "CNN claims it's a world wide problem. It's definitely all over the USA. The Docs have mostly not been able to contact other hospitals but the few they've gotten have similar stories. Red-Fred is something of a computer wiz and he says the internet is claiming the same thing."

There were still some serious flaws in Dave's story. James said somewhat desperately, "Wait, you said 'one or both'? That means you don't know, right? I mean you're not sure?"

With a thousand year tired face Dave shook his head and replied, "She said Rob bit your mom, but she herself sounded hurt. That was 12 hours ago. Since then I haven't been able to get her on the cell. I get the cell sometimes, but no one picks up."

James asked numbly, "What about the others? Does anyone pick up?"

Dave said, "I only have Mary's number. Do you have any pending messages?"

James' phone made the special 'bing' it did when it had messages. With trembling fingers James hit the buttons to play it on speaker.

5:58 AM, Monday November 13th: 'Hey James, this is your Dad. Janet told us that Rob was sick and she's taking him to the hospital. Mary, Gail, and your Mother are going with them. I'm sure they only drove one car so Alex and I are going to see what's going on and to give them a chance to get out. Sounds like it was a good thing that Alex and I stayed in the area. I'll call you later when we know more.'

7:30 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

James stared at the cell phone in disbelief. This can't be. No more messages... wait, that doesn't mean no one tried to call.

James reached for the phone again and realized his hands were trembling. He made a fist for a moment then, being very careful to not break the phone, checked to see who had tried to call.

No one had.

James stared at the phone again like it'd betrayed him. Wait, no, it's been a horrendously busy day, logic says they had one too. It's no surprise they didn't try to phone. So... let's try to call them.

Dave waited as James tried everyone's cell. Some were turned off, others just had no answer. A voice in James whispered he was the one with the habit of turning his phone off. No one picked up at Rob's place either.

Seconds, then minutes ticked by as James tried to parse what had happened. Coldly and numbly he tried to come up with some reasonable explanation. Then Adam walked in looking worried. Adam said, "We have a problem. I think James is dead."

7:40 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

Dave looked at Adam, then at James, then back at Adam and said, "He looks pretty alive to me Doc."

Adam frowned and said, "No, not him. I meant Baby James. Norma's boy. He smells and the way he's acting, I think you're going to want to see this."

Now this was something he could deal with. James sized the distraction and rose to his feet saying, "Lead on Doc."

Adam lead Dave and James down a flight of stairs to a room with a knot of people standing around outside. They parted for the trio and James found Norma holding her baby away from Doctors Smith and Hudson, and almost pleading with them that James was all right. The room was probably a cubical farm's meeting room, it had one flimsy door and was dominated by a table surrounded by chairs.

The moment James walked into the room Norma got a 'my hero' light in her eye and both Doctors and Norma started to argue their case.

James said loudly, "Enough!"

James glanced at the crowd and said, "OK, everyone who isn't the mother, a Doctor, or in charge go away. Whatever is going affects a baby, we don't need a crowd." James looked at several people in the eye until they lowered their gaze and started to move away.

James looked at who was left and said, "OK, Dave, could you please take the Doctors to just outside the room and talk to them. I'm going to talk with Norma."

Norma calmed down somewhat with only James with her, but only somewhat. She said, "I named him after you. After the monsters came, I thought... you saved me and you saved him."

James asked gently, "James. I like that name. Thank you, that's an honor I'll try to live up to. What's the father's name?"

Norma frowned, "The father is a boy named Barry. He got me pregnant and then left me. He said he wouldn't, but he did anyway."

James shook his head, that touched a chord but this wasn't the time or place. James asked, "Is James feeding all right?"

Norma smiled and said, "Mostly, he dribbles a lot, it's a skill I guess."

James said, "Can I take a look at him? You can still hold him."

Norma hesitated a long moment then smiled and said, "Of course you can." She held him up saying, "See, he's still moving, he's fine."

James had seen enough healthy babies and adult zombies to recognize a baby zombie. Baby James moaned for flesh and Norma said, "Oh, he's hungry. Go away for a bit and I'll feed him."

7:40 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

James managed to keep from gagging and choked out, "OK."

James walked out to the hallway and shut the door. The expression on his face forestalled conversation. James walked a few steps down the hallway then turned to others and said, "He's a zombie."

The tragedy of the situation rendered most of the speechless, but Doctor Smith smiled and said, "I knew it. I mean, how horrible."

Dave said, "We have to get that thing away from her."

James shrugged helplessly and said, "It doesn't have teeth, I'm not sure what it can do. But... wait. That kid was alive and healthy when I took them over here. It's only been like 5 hours, how is this possible?"

Dr. Smith said, "Exactly my point. We need to study it."

Adam said, "You get sick, you turn into a zombie. Kids that young don't have an immune system, they'd go quick."

Dr. Hudson interrupted with, "The question is, how was he exposed to begin with? All this talk of a zombie lord running around turning people, she was with us and young James was never with anyone other than her." Hudson continued thinking out loud, "It can't be contaminated food or drugs, he didn't eat anything, drink anything, and he wasn't given vaccinations, all of those are in the other tower. I was going to ask James to get some for the children come daylight."

Adam frowned and said, "What does that leave? Airborne? So far most of the people who have come down have had damaged immune systems. Have we all been exposed?"

Dr. Hudson closed his eyes. He knew, and the tragedy was still growing. He said, "He got it from her. She's infected, she's just not showing symptoms."

7:45 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

Dave inhaled sharply, Adam and James turned to look at the wall, imaging the tragedy beyond it.

Dr. Smith smiled and said in a pleased tone, "If true that's good news."

Dave looked like he wanted to hit him and choked out, "Good? What are you, sick?"

Dr. Smith realized the effect his words were having and replied, "No, I'm not. And more to the point, neither is she. Finding a carrier is a big deal in these things. It's a huge step towards finding a cure."

Dr. Hudson said in an annoyed tone that changed to horror, "Stephen, you're not... shit! Oh! Shit!"

Adam and Dr. Smith turned sharply to the Dr. Hudson, this was very out of character for him. Dr. Smith asked, "Wally?"

Dr. Hudson breathed sharply for several moments then stated, "We have a problem. Those zombies downstairs? They're just the tip of the iceberg."

Dave said sharply, "Explain. Now."

Dr. Hudson said, "We just found out there are people who have been infected and don't realize it yet. The zombies downstairs are just the people with damaged immune systems, everyone else takes longer. We've been assuming you needed a damaged immune system to get the disease. If that's not true then whatever initially spread the disease probably infected far more people, they're just not showing yet."

Seeing he was losing his audience, Dr. Hudson said simply, "I think half the population is infected and just not showing. The number of zombies is going to increase fifty fold. Also this disease, or curse, or whatever it is, is transmittable from person to person. Our infected population is right now infecting the uninfected population."

Dave stared and said, "Define 'whatever initially spread the disease'."

Dr. Hudson replied, "This disease or whatever was unheard of yesterday. Today it's everywhere in the world, that's effectively magic." Dr. Hudson looked at James significantly.

Dr. Smith said almost angrily, "That's pretty thin Wally. Unscientific conjecture. She still might be a carrier."

Dr. Hudson said tiredly, "She'll turn, we'll get to watch the process in slow motion. The only one I'd bet on being immune is James and that's because he's already got a variant of magic. If I had a pint of his blood I'd inject myself with a cc right now."

Dr. Smith said, "Medical ethics..."

James interrupted what threatened to become a scholarly debate, "Enough!"

James added, "Focus please. Assume the kid caught it through milk. So that means blood would work too, right? How about saliva?"

Adam said, "Unknown, but probably."

James asked, "So who has been exposed, and who do we think has it?"

Adam replied, "Exposed? You. The bit fireman... Ted?"

Dave corrected, "You mean Donald. Harry was bit too. Several of the people we saved were bitten. Fred..." Dave swallowed hard, Fred was his brother. "Fred wasn't bitten but he had a lot of blood on him. Basically everyone who was downstairs."

James asked, "Is anyone getting sick?"

Dave said, "As far as I know, no one who was downstairs is getting sick."

Adam corrected softly, "Wendy is sick. We should tell Eric not to kiss her."

7:50 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

James, finally seeing Hudson's vision said with horror, "This is world wide? Not just Dallas? That's why the army isn't here?"

Dave frowned, he was pretty sure he'd mentioned that.

James finished, "This... Doc, if you're right on the numbers, civilization will fall. We could be looking at the extinction of humanity."

Adam looked ashen, even Smith looked grim. Dr. Smith replied in disagreement, "There's too many assumptions there, that's only the worst case. Whatever the initial mode of transmittance was, it might not have infected the healthy at the same rates it did with the unhealthy."

Dr. Hudson added, "A lot depends on how long it takes for normal people to convert."

Looking for some light in all this, Adam asked, "What the best case?"

Dr. Hudson frowned, that was a question that shouldn't have come from a doctor, but replied, "The best case is Norma and everyone else with a normal immune system never convert and fight off whatever it is. That the number of zombies stabilizes at what we have. And on that subject, I think I'd like to see Wendy."

8:10 PM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

Dave told two men what had happened to Baby James and left them guarding the door, then they went looking for Wendy and Eric. They found them a couple of rooms over from the TV room. Wendy still looked pregnant, but now she also looked sick.

At first Eric looked relieved to see the doctors, but everyone's expression made him slightly alarmed. He asked, "What's happened?"

The five men looked at each other, each not wanting to break the bad news, then James said, "Norma's baby is dead, and a zombie."

Wendy closed her eyes in pain, the death of a baby hit her especially hard. Eric realized that couldn't be everything and asked, "What else?"

James said, "We're not sure, but the way this best makes sense is if she's infected and gave it to him. That means it spreads from person to person, and everyone who went downstairs should avoid contact with other people."

Wendy reached out and grabbed Eric's hand in apparent defiance of that suggestion. James added, "And Wendy is already sick. Hopefully it's just the flu, but... ah..."

Eric said forcefully, "It is just the flu. She's going to be fine."

Adam said soothingly, "That's probably true, but she should still try to avoid sharing whatever she has."

Eric looked like he was about ready to explode but Wendy squeezed his hand and said, "I understand. I'll observe containment protocols. If anyone else is feeling poorly maybe they could come in here?"

Eric turned sharply to Wendy stopped dead as she gave him a 'look', then she told him, "It doesn't matter. They're right, even if it's the flu, I shouldn't be spreading it." To the others she asked, "You said it was just me?"

Adam said helplessly, "We think so, we need to check everyone."

Eric put his arm about his wife to shield her from the things he couldn't shield her from and the other men moved off.

Dave said quietly, "We need to check everyone else, especially the babies, but there's another problem. If anyone bigger than a baby converts we have no way to deal with it other than James."

James said, "I'm dead tired and we need me to get some sleep more than we need me on guard duty. You make the rounds, I'll try to sleep in here. If someone converts hopefully the screaming will wake me up."

Adam said, "I thought Fred was the funny one."

James said tiredly, "Doc, we only wish I were joking."

James lay down on the floor, he wasn't sure when he got to sleep.

Tuesday November 14th. Z-Day +1

5:25 AM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

James woke up. It was dark, the Sun was still down, and he was in an unfamiliar room. What was... oh yeah. Yesterday had been the single worst day of his life. Lots of dead and eaten people, with the knowledge that it was going to get worse. David remained unkidnapped and had missed his bachelor party. Mary and the others were... missing.

James looked at his watch and then around. Someone was breathing pretty hard... Wendy. Even in the dim light she looked awful and sounded worse. In the corner of the room Jesus noticed James was up and waved at him. James got to his feet and walked over. Jesus had a clipboard and a gun. James wasn't sure if he should be relieved or concerned at that.

Jesus handed James a piece of paper from the board and pointed out the door. Apparently he was supposed to leave without waking anyone up. Considering how the previous day had went, James understood the sentiments. The paper had some art which he assumed meant Jesus was both bored and talented, and the following.

'CDC says transmitted by all body fluids, including sweat & saliva.'

'Red-Fred says multiple web-people claim a brain shot kills, Richard still disagrees.'

'Another baby converted. We talked the parents out of the body and then Smith took it (sick bastard... I hope he finds something).'

'As of 10pm: Wendy has fever, looks serious. Harry has the flu. Others unclear.'

'All the vending machines are out of food, that's what I want you to focus on.'

-Dave

'Norma killed herself by climbing out a window with her baby'.

-Jesus

5:30 AM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

James read the note again and then a third time. Single worst day of his life so far. He'd saved 21 people from West Tower yesterday, three were dead anyway. Three so far. He'd liked Norma. She hadn't deserved this. James sighed and crumpled the paper. Clint Eastwood was right, Deserve's got nothin' to do with it. He was hungry, needed to use the rest room, and Norma had been dead before he'd met her.

The mirror in the men's room showed him a scruffy looking man who needed to shave and who'd seen a lot. On impulse James took off his shirt and examined himself. No discolored, dead looking flesh. He'd looked like this before. No impulse to eat people. He hadn't changed. He hadn't changed. He hadn't changed. Raw hunger just didn't count, that was a normal athlete thing.

James summoned his blade and looked at it for a moment. It looked more real than it was. Someone smarter might say something about objective vs. subjective reality. James touched it to the back of his arm, it felt slightly cool, like water. James pulled it down his arm. It left a trail of incinerated hair. He could see, hear, and even slightly smell the hair go, but the blade still felt cool.

James shuddered and had to grab the sink to keep from falling.

CDC said it's a disease and transmitted by sweat. Norma had it. He'd touched her. Then he'd touched the couple with the dead baby. James ran his blade over every inch of his body below his scalp and tossed his shirt in the garbage.

5:40 AM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

Had he infected that baby? Or infected it's mother? Father? He didn't know. Maybe he'd never know. Had he killed Norma? A zombie had bitten him on the fingers, he'd put his hand inside it's mouth. Had he washed his hands after that? Thinking back... he didn't know. Maybe. Maybe not.

Wait, he'd practiced with the blade until it'd exhausted him to the point of sleep. Summon it with the right. Summon it with the left. There was no 'safe' part, every part of the blade burned anything other than his skin. So his hands were clean figuratively and literally. Of her. But maybe not the others.

He was seriously hungry, the vending machines were close to the outdoor patio. Looking at them... 'Out of food' was a polite way to say someone had broken the windows and taken everything. Fine. Empty was empty, and he was starving.

James walked to the edge of the patio. West tower had vending machines, he'd seen them yesterday. Some rooms were dark, others had lights, a vending machine room was right there, two levels below maternity. 16 hours ago he'd stood on this spot and watched a baby eaten alive. He could have gotten there then if he'd known how. He could have killed the zombies, or held them off long enough for everyone to get away.

'Could haves' were just evil things to think of. James held his hand out in front of him. Not shaking, that was good. So, what's it feel like to be a baby killer?

How had Captain Ron put it? "Let's just stop that right now. Sometimes people die. Sometimes people die when in theory we could have saved them if events had played out differently. We don't have perfect knowledge, we don't have unlimited resources. This is a high risk profession, it's VERY important to not blame yourself for things that ultimately are God's doing and not yours. Take responsibility for the things that are your responsibility, refuse to take on other people's emotional baggage. Very much refuse to take on God's duties. The job is tough enough as it is." That wasn't a quote but it was close. James banished the voices inside of him. Dave and the others were depending on him, he couldn't fall apart.

James leaped, crashed through the window, and fell to the floor. James instantly rose to his feet, grabbed the coke machine and ignoring his lack of leverage, pulled it out of it's spot and shoved it against the doorway. He then looked down at his still naked chest and smiled. No cuts. Experience was knowing what stupid things you could get away with. A few moments later he heard moaning on the other side of the doorway.

James said, "Yep. I'm here. I'd kill you but you're not worth the trouble or risk. If you have a buck maybe you can get a coke." James walked over to the remaining vending machines and tried to decide what would be most satisfying to get with his remaining change. Why do hospitals sell junk food anyway? And why don't vending machines take twenties?

James purchased two candy bars, quickly ate them, and realized he was being stupid. How many people were depending on him? 40? Were they really going to be happy with a 'the machine wouldn't take twenties'? For that matter he was still hungry.

It was time to face reality. The collapse of law and order, the break down of society and civilization, it'd already started. And now he was going to contribute to that by becoming a looter and criminal. James hesitated, then realized he was going to cross a lot more lines before the week was over. Just for starters there were two zombie babies that needed killing... and probably Wendy.

James summoned his blade, cut across the machine's window, and then gagged. He'd cut some flavor of plastic and it burned blackly with a chokingly bad smell. Experience was gained by making stupid mistakes.

6:05 AM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

James landed on the North Tower patio carrying a garbage bag filled with goodies and said, "Ho, Ho, Ho." At least something has gone right today. Santa James to the rescue.

Adam bowed and said, "Merry Christmas. Although if that's breakfast then maybe Thanksgiving is better. What happened to your shirt?"

James replied, "I lost it, and this is breakfast. Chocolate covered peanuts for everyone."

At James' words Adam swallowed and looked apprehensive. James asked, "Allergy? Our options are limited but we have a few. I took everything."

James dumped the food out on a table and watched Adam with some concern. Was something wrong? Adam had been a rock throughout the crisis and after the events of downstairs James had dropped his antipathy towards him. James was honest enough to admit to himself his powers, and not Adam's heroics, were behind his seeing Adam in a more positive light.

Adam poked through the junk food then opened up a pack of nuts and raisins. James thought uneasily, Unless he's committing suicide he doesn't have a peanut allergy.

James said, "Hey, are you ok? Are you allergic to something in there?"

Adam replied, "Something like that. I'm ok, I can have nuts and raisins, this is what I get when I don't bring in stuff."

James watched Adam for a moment but when he didn't turn red and start choking he mentally shrugged and dropped the matter. James said, "You're up early."

Adam replied, "This is normal for me. If the weight room in South Tower were accessable I'd be there."

James picked up two more candy bars and said between bites, "I hadn't realized Harris had that. Is it new?"

Adam shook his head and said, "Not really. During the day they use it for physical recovery and research. Sports medicine. That sort of thing. The key is getting in early enough that no one is using it. It's cheaper than joining a club and it's right here."

James picked up yet another two candy bars and said, "Any word on Smith? Or ideas about Wendy?"

Adam replied, "Stephen isn't normally like this. His wife died a few years ago and since then his work has been his life. Now you and the zombies turn up and show he knows a lot less than he thinks he does. I checked on him, he's asleep, I'm pretty sure he worked most of the night, after he's up again he'll have some kind of report."

Adam continued, "Wendy is what I wanted to talk to you about. She's going to die unless we do something, and the only thing I can think of is serious antibiotics. There's two ways to play this. We can wait for Wal-Mart or whoever to open, or I can tell you how to get it from here. The problem is it's on the ground floor in the middle of the hospital."

6:10 AM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

James thought for a moment then said, "You know, when Eric and Wendy first got married I tought she'd have one of those 6 month full term pregnancies. I mean, they dated for a few months and then eloped. I was wrong, that was more than a year ago. I don't know Wendy well, we've met maybe a dozen times. I know Eric thinks the world of her. I know their kid is a girl, Eric passed around some sonogram pictures a while back. I don't know the kid's name, it's this big secret."

"I also don't know how I'd get anything from a room surrounded by probably hundreds of zombies. If you have a plan, I'm all ears. Even something messy like crawling through air ducts. I'm willing to walk on ground glass for Wendy, especially now, but I'm not willing to die futilely."

Somewhat deflated, Adam replied, "I was hoping you'd have the plan. Pity. It'd be seriously nice to have access to that room."

James frowned and said, "You don't have some local drugs? Some smaller room here with a private stock? If you want to order an aspirin you'd need to run down to central stores?"

Adam explained, "Aspirin we have. Bandages we have. Orthopedics is in this tower so we have an x-ray machine and everything we'd need to set bones too. But anything that's controlled, expensive, or requires refrigeration is down there. There's a lot of paperwork, tracking, and it makes sense to have it under lock and key in one room."

James rebutted, "Made sense until today."

Adam agreed, "Made sense until today." Adam checked again, "So you don't have some massive rule breaking power that you haven't told us?"

James shook his head and said, "You know what I know. Maybe I have some other powers, but if so I don't know what they are and don't know how to turn them on."

Eric walked in looking like he hadn't slept in three days. He had a wild look in his eyes and his gaze locked on James like a dog watching a squirrel. He said, "I heard that last part. James, she needs you. You're the only one who can save her."

James stood up and said, "I'm all yours. What do you want me to do?"

Eric said, "I need you to lay hands on her."

James replied, "Um... what?" I know what it means when you tell someone to keep their hands off of your wife. This can't be that.

Eric replied with frustration, "Lay on hands. Walk with me, I'll explain on the way."

6:15 AM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

Eric explained his plan as all three men walked towards the 'sick' room, "I figured it out. You're breaking natural laws, and the only one who can do that is God. That makes you Jesus. Not THE Jesus of course, but someone else like him. James, you're channeling god, so you should be able to lay on hands. Heal with a touch."

James mulled that over. 'I'd laugh but what he's saying makes as much sense as anything. So, James Christ? Should I find a white robe? Does the Bible say Christ was super strong? Good grief, it does. There's that thing at the end about carrying his own cross after being beaten close to death. Wait, I'm just a guy and mom wasn't a virgin. And Carpenters are just guys too and if DNA testing were around then they could have figured out who the holy spirit was.'

The three men reached the room and walked in. There was enough light outside from the hospital lights that James could tell which sleeping figure was Wendy. She looked dead and sounded like she soon would be.

James asked quietly, "What do I do?"

Eric answered with certainty, "Just put your hands on her and pray to God."

Wendy took a long, harsh, strained breath. James put his hands on her. 'I'm not sure if I'm more afraid that this will work than that it won't. God, I know I'm not much of a believer or a follower, but if you're listening, this woman doesn't deserve this and we could really use some help here. Please spare her.'

The world seemed to hush and pause. James, Eric, and even Adam held their breaths in anticipation.

6:25 AM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

With effort Wendy drew in another ragged, painful breath. James thought with helpless horror, No effect. She's rotting. Stinks too. She is half dead, like those people in the nursing home. This is why I'm not big on praying, it doesn't seem to do anything.

James looked back at Eric and said, "I don't... nothing's happening."

Eric replied with desperation, "But, but it has to. You must not be doing it right. Try skin to skin contact."

James put one hand on Wendy's forehead and picked up her hand with his other. Yuck. Hot, sweaty, and... it's like I'm holding hands with sun baked road kill. Wash hands next, no touching anyone or eating anything. Right, and just to make sure: God, this is James again. Wendy doesn't deserve this. This would be a good time to prove Eastwood wrong and show some mercy.

As before, Wendy took a labored breath to show that nothing had changed. James saw helpless despair in Eric's eyes. Two days ago Eric had everything. Now he looked like he wanted to scream at James for not whipping up a miracle.

James nodded at Adam and both of them fled to the hallway. James held up his hand meaningfully. Adam nodded and held open the door to the washroom. James spent several minutes washing his hands. His soul didn't feel like it'd clean that easily.

James found Adam waiting for him when he stepped out. James said quietly, "This is so fast. She's not..."

Adam replied, "No. She's not."

Jesus poked his head out the door and said, "Guys? A little backup here. Wendy just died."

6:25 AM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

James and Adam rushed back in to find Eric sobbing and holding Wendy's still form.

Jesus turned on the lights saying, "I think we're all awake anyway."

Looking around James recognized Harry, and two other people who'd been saved in the downstairs incident. One was a painfully thin twenty-ish man, the other was a fifty-ish, heavyset woman. Both of them had heavily bandaged forearms. The man gave a loud sniff and wiped his noise. Everyone stood back and watched Eric and Wendy with the fascination people get around serious accidents. It hasn't sunk in for these three that they're next. They didn't meet Wendy when she was at their stage. Donald isn't here. A few others were bitten too. If they're not showing yet, maybe they won't.

James watched Eric and Wendy for a moment before he realized what was wrong. He's right there and we're waiting to see if she'll animate.

James said, "Eric, I think you need to..."

Eric interrupted, "James! Bring her back. I know you can do it man, I believe in you."

James said, "I don't think... fine. Let's give it a try." James knelt down, put his hands on Wendy once again, and thought, God? Eric and his wife are true believers. It'd seriously crush Eric's spirit to see his pregnant wife re-animate into a flesh eating cannibal zombie. So I'm expecting this is where you in your mercy prove you either can not or will not help. Oh, and Amen.

James waited a long moment, and again nothing happened. Eric wailed in protest. James stood and considered, I don't get it, why isn't she reanimating? Is she waiting for my back to turn? For me to leave the room and go wash my hands? Is this like watching a pot to boil?

James looked at his hands then summoned his blade. Still watching Wendy, James absently ran the blade over every inch of both his hands. If you're trying to out wait me you're dealing with the wrong guy. I've gone hunting and I remember what happened downstairs.

6:31 AM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

Wendy opened her eyes and growled. James pushed her down, forcing her to stay on her back. James raised his blade high, and looked in her eyes, and paused. I remember Wendy bringing us a lemon cake for Eric's birthday. I remember her throwing a Frisbee to that stupid black dog at the picnic. I remember... I can't do this.

Eric, Adam, and Jesus all yelled "James!"

Eric tackled James and tried to force James' blade arm away from his wife. Eric yelled, "Stop! We don't need to do this! Just lock her up and we'll wait for a cure."

Wendy struggled and tried vainly to attack. James thought, He's right. We could just lock her up... no we can't. James' blade hand came down, flipping Eric over and thrusting the blade between Wendy's eyes. Wendy instantly stopped fighting and the sickly sweet smell of vaporized human flesh filled the room.

James dropped his blade and held his stomach with both arms. I will not throw up. I will not throw up.

Thud. Eric landed a full strength punch on James' jaw. Half blind from tears of hate and rage, Eric grunted and wound up for another punch. James made no effort to defend himself and looked at Eric with a 'deer in headlights' look.

Interrupting both men Adam kicked Eric in the solar plexus. Eric fell to the ground gasping for breath.

Adam gripped James' shoulder and said, "Let's go. Jesus, put a table cloth over her."

6:40 AM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

Adam led James back to the restroom and said, "Wash your hands. Throw up if you need to."

James stood over the toilet for several moments then decided he wasn't going to throw up. He walked back to the sink and watched Adam finish washing his own hands.

James said almost numbly, "I killed her. I liked her, but I had to kill her."

Adam said, "Ask yourself what she would have wanted. Would she have wanted to live dead and insane? I think she'd rather die than kill and eat her husband. I even think she'd rather die than infect other people." James noticed Adam's hands were shaking. For all his calm demeanor he was affected by Wendy's transformation and second death too.

James washed his hands and digested Adam's words. James sighed and said, "You're right, but it still feels wrong."

Adam stated, "Tasha Jefferson."

Not seeing the reference, James said, "I don't get it."

Adam said, "Tasha Jefferson. Pretty. Black. Age 19. Profession listed as 'dancer' which I assumed meant 'stripper'. Two years ago she died on the table under my knife. Breast implants are a stupid thing to die over. Inquest showed I didn't do anything wrong, I didn't make any mistakes, but to this day it still feels like it."

James looked up and asked, "Why she'd die then?"

Adam said a little bitterly, "She had an undiagnosed heart condition. Her heart was basically a bomb just waiting to go off. Not her fault either, but certainly not mine. She would have died up on the stage sooner or later."

"It happens. The first time is the worst time. I took several weeks off to get my head together, you don't have that option. You're the only one who can get out and about, if the rest of the infected are going to live, I need you to pick up a package from some pharmacy."

Now this was news, and James picked up an undercurrent of desperation in Adam's voice. Adam needed James help and wasn't happy about needing a superpowered fireman. James asked, "What package, what pharmacy?"

Adam frowned. Those were reasonable questions, but he didn't have reasonable answers. Adam said, "Drugs, and I don't know yet. Somewhere in this city there is a pharmacy that isn't surrounded by zombies. I'm going to find them, order a ton of drugs, pay for them, and then you are going to pick them up." Adam added a little ironically, "Presumably after you find a shirt somewhere."

Adam got serious and looked James in the eye, "Now do you think you can do that? We're probably talking about 8 AM or so."

James nodded. That sounded easy enough, and speaking of being out and about, James added, "I think it's bright enough for me to go looking for help. The rest of crew would be a good place to start. I'll give you my cell phone number, it seems to be working still."

6:45 AM: Doctor Samuel Jackson, Head Administrator at 'The Springs' Rest Home

*Beep* *Beep* *Beep*

Like it was a normal day, Dr. Jackson's watch went off. He clicked it off and wondered for a moment where he was. He felt horrible. The door thumped with pounding again. Oh yeah.

Samuel stretched and flipped on the light switch. Sleeping on the concrete had been awful. Going 24 hours with no food and no water had been worse. He'd converted a file cabinet drawer into a porta potty.

After sleeping on it, he still didn't see anyway out other than someone coming bye and helping him. The only ways out were the air vent, which was far too small for him to fit through, and the door.

On cue the door thumped again. Samuel looked out the window at the milling hoard and shuddered. A day ago his bozo cousin had taken four bullets to the chest. He was still out there waiting for him.

6:45 AM: JoAnna, Suburb of Fort Worth, Texas.

*Ring* Huh? What was that?

*Ring* Where am I?

*Ring* I was with...Jill. Something about the TV.

*Ri...* The phone's ringing ended as someone (Jill?) picked it up and started talking. Awareness flowed back to JoAnna. She was at Jill's, there was a disaster going on, and right now she was tangled in bed covers. Come on Jo. You're an escape artist. Getting out of bed should be easy.

Jo struggled out of bed, found her robe, and walked towards the family room. Jill hung up as she walked in. Still wearing armor, I'm sure I'm a mess, how is... no. The underclothing is different and her hair has been washed. Jill has been up for a while. How does she do that?

Jill held up one finger for quiet and then narrowed the distance between the two of them and said quietly, "Cassie has called all nights. Jack has a fever, John is feeling better, Chris was with both of them all night. The news says the army is mobilizing." Jill seemed oddly pensive.

Jo asked, "What else?" Cassie called all night? No, he called just now... Wait, not 'all night', 'all knights'. The local king is Carl. Right. King Carl. KC. Cassie.

Jill nodded towards the picture window and said, "A few minutes ago I saw... something."

Jo glanced out the window, didn't see anything, then stared at her sister intently. She's shook. Maybe even afraid. What...? Jo asked, "Jill?"

Jill frowned at the window and said, "We need to hook up with the other knights and their families. It's not safe here. Eat, get dressed, if you can take a quick shower you should. Knight meeting is in one hour."

7:00 AM: James DeBeer, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

James stepped out onto the patio and reflected that gifts from Fred were automatically suspect. The red shirt Fred had 'found' for him had the word "SECURITY" written in big black letters across the chest. It looked like something you'd see in a bar or concert. It also had a Star Trek symbol on the front. Clearly the shirt had a story, and also clearly Fred was waiting for questions about it.

Fred said, "Adam is glued to a phone. Dave is checking on everyone. What's your plan for out there?"

James said, "I'm going to check up on the world outside these walls. Hopefully get some help. I'll start by going back to that nursing home. I want to know where Captain Ron went when he left."

Fred handed over binoculars and said, "Good idea. This might help. Wendy left them... I found them on the counter in there."

James fell silent at the mention of Wendy. All the firemen had liked Wendy. So far Fred had mumbled something approving, and Dave was off doing something, maybe avoiding James. Necessary or not, killing her hadn't been popular.

James put the binoculars around his neck and leaped. Solutions came from acting.

7:00 AM: James DeBeer, Above Fort Worth

In mid leap, James watched the world go by.

Seriously Cool! This is like looking out from an airplane! Cars the size of children's toys moving on roads that are lines. Houses are boxes. How far up do you have to be to see the world like this? Half a mile? More? And how fast am I moving? It doesn't feel or look like much. There's not much wind, less than a hang glider but not the dead calm you get from being on a balloon.

Wait, this moving slowly thing is a perspective trick, airplanes don't feel like it either. Look straight down, get out the watch, and try to time it. ... OK, that was a minute. And from there to there, that's a mile or so. That's 60 miles an hour! Impossible!

James flinched. Careful there. The last time I doubted my powers they stopped working. Nothing seemed to stop working there through. Either I'm already at my weakest or I wouldn't know if I got weaker or less tough. Maybe I should be looking around and not studying my navel?

James studied the city. Crap! That's... at least four fires, maybe more. Not good. Looks like Captain Ron is busy. Too bad we're not with him, he needs us and I could use the overtime.

7:06 AM: James DeBeer, Forth Worth, Texas

James descended into a street with rows of houses and trees. 20 feet above the ground the branches of a tree caught him and knocked him down. Across the street, two elementary age children who had been standing next to an open garage door watched him with wide eyes and then started yelling for their parents.

Wonderful. Just wonderful. I'm what's his name? The Greatest American Hero? Didn't he wear a red costume?

James stood up and started brushing himself off. A blond man in his late twenties rushed out of the house. He was carrying a shotgun but didn't point it at James. The children started pointing at James and talking. The man gave James a dark look.

James gave him a partial wave and started walking away from the house. Right, let's just not try to explain that. I'm not on his house or property, this isn't even his tree. Moving along, nothing to see here. And... it's 7am. Why does he have a shotgun ready? This isn't a bad neighborhood.

James looked back at the garage. The man was moving his children inside. He's packing the car. I'll bet he's fleeing the city.

James looked uneasily around at the other houses as he walked back to the main road. So is he. That one too. Three families packing to leave the city out of... thirty houses? At 7am? No, correction, 7:08. They're trying to be first and beat the rush. Rats fleeing the sinking ship. Guess I can't blame them for putting their families first, but the highways are going to lock solid.

James looked around even more uneasily. Different question James. How many of these houses have zombies? Sick people in the process of converting? What scared those three into fleeing? Did they meet a zombie or are they running on rumor?

Ah, shoot. I didn't look at my watch the moment I landed. Call it 7:06 or so. I started at 7 on the nose. This is maybe 6 miles away. No way was I feeling a 60 mile an hour wind up there. And no way did I hit that tree at 120, or even 60 miles an hour. Maybe I slow down before I land? Which natural law is that breaking?

James exited the neighborhood and got his bearings. Not bad. Go down this road a clip, turn right at the car dealership, and that's two blocks away from the 'Springs'. Another six mile hop would be a serious time waster at this point, but let's risk it anyway. Maybe I can make a shorter hop and do less.

James leaped again.

7:20 AM: James DeBeer, The Springs, Forth Worth, Texas

James' walked past a sign saying 'The Springs' and headed for the last turn into their parking lot. His second leap overshot where he'd wanted to land by less than a block and he'd decided to quit while he was ahead and walk the rest of the way.

James stopped at the parking lot and looked around with dismay. All the trucks are still here. They never left. Nothing has changed. No... There's more cars here now. That police car is even blocking us. It wasn't here when we were.

James stood at the edge of the parking lot and looked around. Someone had lined the area with trees and the only movement he could see was the flora and fora peacefully going about their business.

It's a roach motel. If you go in, you don't come out. Dispatch realized Captain Ron didn't come out and sent someone to check on him. The other new cars are the next shift, they went in one at a time to see what all the excitement was.

James took a step into the parking lot and stopped. Then he took another step. Then a third.

Magic coming back doesn't have to end with supers and zombies. We could have other things too. Who wrote about that? Lovecraft?

James knelt on the ground and looked below the cars.

Nothing. No feet on the other side, no boogymen hiding. No pools of blood even. It's just a typical day here. You're just being paranoid. Right, Captain Ron is the kind of guy who'd hang out here and sip coffee, for a day, while multiple fires burn in other parts of the city.

Fear exists for a reason, only the insane don't have it. You're not a coward for being afraid. The first question is, do you let your fear control you or do you face it. The second question is, how much do you owe the guys? The Captain? Enough to walk into a man trap?

7:25 AM: JoAnna & Jillian, Suburb of Fort Worth, Texas.

Jo had quickly eaten and showered. Dressing had been a conflict between her desire to show off her new self to old acquaintances and her need for practicality in the face of whatever had spooked Jill. Finally while Chris was moving the children to the car Jo was able to corner Jill.

Jo said quietly but seriously, "Out with it. What did you see."

Jill gave a half shrug and said, "It was surreal. Across the street. Old man Hendershot was staggering around like he was drunk. He chased his dog around for a few minutes, then it ran off and he went back inside."

Jo thought for a moment then said, "I don't get it. What's panic mode about that?"

Jill looked Jo in the eyes and said, "Hendershot can't walk, he's stuck in a wheelchair. That dog? Snuffy is seriously well trained. She obeys him like a puppet. Also... he had a knife poking out of his chest."

Jo frowned and said, "None of that makes sense. And if you thought he was hurt, why didn't you dial 911? Or go out and help him?" Jill wasn't drinking, could it have been a bad dream?

Jill replied, "Hendershot is a sexist ass. He and I don't get along. But I did dial 911. 5 times. Busy signal each time. And Jo? Some of the news channels are saying the dead are walking. Crap or movie PR maybe. But I heard that like 2 minutes before I saw him."

Jo replied, "Thus leaving for the meeting."

Jill nodded and replied, "Yes. Whatever the news is talking about is going on around here. Also I want someone else to look at Jack's fever. We've got him on Motrin but it's not helping much. And if nothing else maybe I'll get the chance to beat up Jack Senior. He should be there too."

7:40 AM: James DeBeer, The Springs, Forth Worth, Texas

From the middle of the parking lot, James eyed the trucks and the Springs' entrance and considered his options.

How did Adam put it, 'Breast implants were a stupid thing to die for?' There's all sorts of things we could add to that list.

Coward. Captain Ron would risk his life for you. Besides, this isn't certain death, you have nifty new powers.

Powers which work erratically and I don't understand. Even if these are just zombies, without Adam and the guys they could have killed me at the hospital.

You know more and fight smarter now. It's just fear saying you should back out.

It's just ego saying this could be easy. Smart thing to do would be to walk away.

There's always a good reason to run away. Most of them come down to 'I'm afraid'. A Coward dies a thousand deaths and all that. Besides, you owe Ron and the others.

Dave, Adam, and the others are depending on you to get those drugs. Get killed here and they die too.

Are you going to wonder if Ron or someone could be alive in there? And the heck with wondering, is that right? All it'd take is a closed door. Could you live with yourself if you walk away? Sleep fine at night?

...Yeah. Sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

More words of wisdom from Eastwood. But this isn't a movie, let's be smart about this.

All senses on Maximum, James carefully walked over to the cars that were out of sight from the entrance. Police car is cold, it's been here for a while. It's a two man car and the shotgun is missing. And when the second car vanished, they didn't or couldn't send a third. That says so many bad things on so many levels.

The other police car should have another 12-gauge shotgun. Breaking in would be easy. Of course whoever walked in before already tried that. Good rule of thumb is to go with what you know.

James walked over to one of the fire trucks and got out two fire axes. Oh yeah. Ignoring leverage baby. James DeBeer, two handed terror. And terrified for that matter. Let's go see what Captain Ron is up to.

James took a step then had second thoughts, Or maybe we could do the smart thing and try the radio before kicking in the front door.

James stepped back behind the truck and got out his radio. Several minutes later he gave up. Smart isn't working very well. Looks like it's the front door.

7:45 AM: JoAnna & Jillian, Fort Worth, Texas.

Driving to 'the grand hall' had been more of a challenge than it should have been. They'd passed multiple accidents and even a fire. The 'hall' turned out to be a parking lot in a shopping mall.

King Carl was there coordinating things. Perhaps two dozen knight-looking people where there too, including Jack senior. Several people pointed out Jill and Chris and watched to see how Jack would take their arrival. Jack and Jill glared at each other and then each moved off. Explosion averted.

It'd been a decade since Jo had seen Jack, aka The Jack Bull. Memory told her he was a massive, thickly muscled giant of a man in his prime. In her opinion Jill was crazy for thinking she'd beat him. Jo relaxed a bit when she realized memory was wrong. She remembered him as massively bigger because when she'd been twelve he had been massively bigger.

Jack senior was her height, making him shorter than Jill. He was in his early forties, and unfortunately was thickly muscled. Apparently he did heavy manual work of some sort for a living. He'd also bought along Chris' replacement, a stunningly attractive woman young enough to be his daughter.

Jo looked at her, and looked at him and wondered. Meow. Long blond hair. Medical enhancements. Too revealing clothes. I don't think I'm the one being catty here. Something about those two seriously doesn't add up. He's not handsome, or rich, or charismatic, and she's all over him like Chris is an active threat. Or maybe target. Jill said he was into head games. I wonder if he hired a date?

Jill walked off and came back with a man who started to fuss over the kids.

King Carl assembled people, shifted to full 'King' mode and started speaking,

"People! You've all heard the news, some of you have actually seen the walking dead. This is going to be a grim time and we are uniquely suited to ride it out, but only if we stay together. I have a plan. I know a shelter that has months of food and is relatively secure."

"Our best bet is to take over and secure the mall."

8:00 AM: James DeBeer, The Springs, Forth Worth, Texas

James tried the front door and found it unlocked. James took one step in. The entry/waiting room was empty but stank. James walked around the 'paperwork' window and saw a huge stain on the carpet next to the door leading to the rest of the building. Even expecting this, James gagged.

That's not ripped carpet, that's torn up clothing. And that's not jello, that torn flesh. This used to be someone. No one here, let's look into the main building. Great, I have to step in the middle of someone.

James' boots squished as he stepped into the doorway. On the other side the carpet became tile. When he'd been there before it'd been immaculately clean, now the tile was stained with heavy brown footprints and more huge circular marks.

The central hub of the 'Springs' had two main hallways intersecting "V" like. Dozens of feet beyond a large main desk a crowd milled around a closed door. An ancient man pounded on it for a moment then was pushed aside by someone else.

Zombies. Dozens of them. Well, Lovecraft would have been worse. That's not a pipe next to that stain, it's a shotgun. Cop bought it right over there. Person after person came in here and tried to reason with them or help them. Well, fine. They're interested in that door, I'll just sneak out and sneak back in at the other end of the building. Easy. To problem. They haven't even noticed me yet.

*BING* *BING* *BING* James' cell phone went off, breaking the silence like a gunshot. Two dozen dead people looked over at James and started walking towards him.

Crap.

8:00 AM: JoAnna & Jillian, Fort Worth, Texas.

Jo frowned. Taking the mall was something out of a bad movie. For that matter the walking dead was too. She turned and could see her thoughts echoed on Jill's face. The King's grand plan hadn't been mentioned over the phone.

Someone said, "Taking the mall, you're going to get us all arrested."

Carl motioned to two men, obviously father and son. The younger man wore a strung bow and JoAnna recognized him as 'Robin', aka 'Robin Hood'. The older one she didn't recognize even in passing.

Carl said, "Not at all. Robin's father Neal here owns a store in there. Robin works here as a security guard. They can protect their property and press us into service as security. When the crisis passes at worse we'll be kicked out, not arrested."

Someone else said, "Walking Dead? That's just a media myth, right? Anyone really seen them?"

Robin put an arrow in his bow and said, "Yeah. I've seen them. And I see two right now."

Everyone turned to look at where he was aiming and saw an unhealthy looking man stumbling along towards them. He'd apparently just stepped out onto the parking lot and still had quite a distance to walk.

Someone said, "He's just drunk."

Jill said quietly to Jo, "That's how Hendershot walked".

Robin released his arrow and missed the man's foot by less than a meter. The man didn't alter course or even register that he'd almost been hit.

Jill said under her breath, "Warning shot. Robin's better than that."

Someone said again, "Robin, what are you..."

Robin fired again and this time hit the man in his chest, where his heart should be. The man was staggered and almost knocked over, but he recovered his balance and kept stumbling towards them. The assembled SCA members got very quiet.

Robin put two more arrows in the man's chest and then let him get closer. Everyone took a step back at his approach and several people drew weapons.

Finally Robin said, "Head shots. Has to be head shots." Without apparent effort Robin put an arrow into the man's right eye and he dropped. Jo took a closer look at Robin's face and noticed he looked tired.

Robin said, "I don't know how it's spread or how it works, but it's real."

Two more zombies started across the parking lot.

8:05 AM: Doctor Samuel Jackson, Head Administrator at 'The Springs' Rest Home

It took a moment for Samuel to realize what was missing. They stopped pounding?

Dr. Jackson staggered to the window slit and looked out. They're walking away?

"Is someone out there? Help!"

8:05 AM: James DeBeer, The Springs, Forth Worth, Texas

In the face of the oncoming zombies, James took a step back then smiled grimly and walked back to the waiting room. Work smarter, not harder. Four dozen at once? That's me losing. Four dozen, one at a time? No problem. Even before the upgrade I worked out with an axe. I can do that many axe strokes easy.

James checked to see that the room was still empty and set himself near the entrance. This many zombies? Ron and the others are dead. The trucks, splotches, and radio all prove that. Zombies don't take prisoners and all the guys had radios. Bastard murderers.

Temper James. He who fights in anger gets his ass handed to him. Be cold. Be calm. Understand that this is pointless vengeance... fine. Vengeance is underrated.

James leaned one axe against the wall and grabbed the other professionally. The first zombie through the doorway used to be an old woman. Once she'd probably been someone's grandmother. She was short enough that her head was at his shoulder level. She moaned at James. James swung his axe so fast it blurred. There was a massive 'CRACK' as the zombie's head and the axe itself both shattered.

The axehead flew through the zombie's head and embedded itself in the door frame.

Crap!

8:05 AM: James DeBeer, The Springs, Forth Worth, Texas

*BING* *BING* *BING*

James' phone rang again as another zombie stepped through the doorway. James grabbed his second axe and swung it up. 'CRACK'. The axe sliced off the zombie's arm above her elbow and buried itself deeply in her chest. The blow sent her sprawling but again James was left holding a shattered handle. Uncaring of what had happened to it's predecessors, another zombie walked through the doorway even as the one with the axe head in her chest struggled to get up.

Double Crap. I can pick up a loaded table by the end of one leg without breaking it but a swung axe shatters?

James sprinted to the other end of the entry room and the doors leading outside, then powered through the door, breaking the glass window in passing. Outside he ran to police car that had shown up with them yesterday and broke, then pulled out the passenger's side front window. James pulled out the black pump action riot shotgun and thumbed off the safety.

Slow. The first one isn't even through the front door yet. Ah, here they come. Time to prove that Sam Colt made all men equal. Well ok, this is a Mossberg... 590? And what am I standing around here for?

James leaped to the Spring's roof. Better. Seriously unlikely they can climb. I can stay up here and pick them off one at a time. Until I run out of ammo. The 590 gives me what, at most 8 shells? That won't go very far.

*BING* *BING* *BING*

James got out his phone. Don't recognize the number but it's in Texas so it can't be Mary or the others. If it's a salesman I'll just scream.

8:05 AM: James DeBeer, The Springs' roof, Forth Worth, Texas

James opened his phone and said, "James."

The voice on the other end said, "James! This is Adam. Are you all right? Can you talk?"

James said, "I'm fine. I'm sitting on that nursing home's roof. Tell Dave about 50 zombies chased me up here." Adam seems wound up.

Adam said, "Good. Very good. I found someone. I need you to go to the Wal-Mart at 3851 Airport Freeway. That's the North West corner where 121 intersects with Beach."

James interrupted, "I know where it is. It's on the other side of town, but this jumping thing really books. I can get there in less than a half hour."

Adam sounded considerably relieved when he said, "Good. Very good. The pharmacy there will have a pick up for you. You don't need to pay for it, I already did. They have your name and your appearance, they're expecting you. But we need those drugs as fast as possible." Almost as an after thought Adam added, "We've had some more people get sick here."

James said, "Understood" and hung up.

You didn't save Captain Ron and the others yet.

Not going to either. There's enough zombies to chase me onto the roof. Doors inside aren't build to keep people out, they're built to not keep people out. Even if they'd managed to get into a room and lock the door, if those rooms have locks, it's all one story. Fireman would break a window and get out. They would have left by now, and all the trucks are still here. They're dead.

James hyperventilated for a moment. He'd liked and respected Ron. The firemen were almost family to him.

Duty first kid. You can still save Dave and the others.

James leaped.

8:10 AM: Dr. Adam Hatcher, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital - North Tower

Adam hung up the phone and exhaled. Good. Very good. Just an hour or two, and that's nothing. I wonder if he even suspects what I'm up to? I don't see how he could. It's not like I've lied, not exactly.

Dave knocked on the table in front of Adam and said, "Earth calling Dr. Hatcher. Come in Dr. Hatcher."

Adam looked up and said, "Sorry. I was thinking. James said to tell you a group of zombies chased him onto the nursing home roof and he's a half hour away from the drug pickup."

Dave whistled and said, "Wow. He's pretty far away for thinking it's a half hour jog. And the WalMart on 121 is a fair clip from us. You couldn't find anything closer?"

Adam shook his head and replied, "No. They were the third place I called, the first two didn't answer their phones."

Dave asked, "But they have what we need?"

Adam replied, "I hope so. 12 sets of doses of 4 different antibiotics. Something in that should work."

Dave commented, "48 doses? Sounds expensive."

Adam replied, "Two were relatively cheap and common. One was moderately expensive, one was seriously expensive. All together it was about 60 thousand dollars. There are problems you can't solve by throwing money at them, I'm hoping this isn't one of them."

Dave whistled again and said, "What'd you do, put it on your credit cards?"

Adam laughed and said, "I put it on the hospital account. With the admin wing gone there's no one to object." Besides, by making this solution expensive and high priority, I get James where I need him. This is even a cheap solution since it's not my money.

Dave asked, "The other Docs?"

Adam replied easily, "Doctors Smith and Hudson are both doing zombie research. They're seeking the Noble prize while I'm making the trains run on time."

Dave said, "Good man Doc. We'd be hurting without you."

Adam replied smoothly, "My pleasure. You don't go Plastic out of a love of research. I'm very happy to be making a few phone calls for the common good."

Changing the conversation, Adam asked, "What'd the census turn up?"

Dave shook his head and said, "With the single exception of James, everyone who was bitten is sick. Several people are sick without being bitten. For some it's obvious how they got it, for others it's not."

Adam summed up, "So we're not sure if it's airborne or not."

Dave said, "Exactly. Everyone who goes into the sick rooms wears a mask now. I'm tempted to skip that. If it's airborne then you and I are both screwed, but neither of us is sick yet."

Adam stared back glassy eyed for a moment then said, "Spinal Meningitis."

Dave said, "Huh?"

Adam explained, "Spinal Meningitis has a lot of the symptoms we're seeing. Untreated it's pretty lethal too. We can't test for it because too many people would be positive, it's common in the general environment. The lethal version is passed from person to person. Basically the body can deal with low levels of exposure without a problem, but too much is a different story."

Dave waved his hand in irritation and said, "In English please Doc."

Adam said, "In English: Level of exposure matters. The average immune system is maybe strong enough to prevent low level air transmittance. So wear the masks, they can't hurt and they might help a lot."

Dave digested that for a minute and said, "Got it."

Adam said, "Detail now. Tell me about the census."

Dave said, "As of 10 minutes ago we have 12 people showing signs. Donald and Harry were both bitten. Eric wasn't but he probably got it from Wendy. All five of the people we 'saved' downstairs are sick, only three were bitten. Tomas is sick although he wasn't bitten. Chris and Laura Darling are both sick, those are the parents of the zombie baby. Chris was bitten when the zombies stormed the tower, he probably gave it to the others. Dana, another nurse, is sick. Some guy named Jeff Bearden is sick, I don't know what he does."

Dave continued, "That makes five people we can't easily account for. Two from downstairs, Tomas, Dana the nurse, and Jeff."

Adam stared then said, "When I ordered 12 dozes I thought it was overkill. Now I'm wondering if it was enough. Tomas had blood on him. He probably rubbed his eyes or something. Ditto the other two downstairs. Dana would have helped treat the infected. Jeff I don't know. How many uninfected do we have?"

Dave replied, "34. That includes James, four new born babies and their mothers."

Adam nodded and considered the possibilities, then rose to his feet saying, "Let's masks up and talk to our five unknowns. Eric too, maybe Wendy told him something."

8:20 AM: JoAnna & Jillian, Ridgmar Mall, Fort Worth, Texas.

Jill reflected Nothing focuses minds like a noose and looked for a place to put the last bag. When the zombies had shown up everyone had fallen into line and gone with the plan. Robin had arrowed both of them easy and stood guard while everyone else set up their new 'camp' inside the Ridgmar. Several camps really, the mall was huge.

JoAnna looked around to make sure no one else was around and said quietly, "Jill, is this a good idea? We're still inside the 20-820 ring road. Shouldn't we be trying to get out of the city?"

That was the question Jill really hadn't wanted to face. Jill replied, "Maybe. The rest of the world will do that, and fleeing the zombies won't keep food in our mouths. There's this thing you learn in combat. Any move, even a bad move, beats doing nothing. I'm sure there's a perfect move for this situation, but I don't see it. Neither of us have a farm in the woods, I don't trust the roads not to lock solid, we're a lot better off with the SCA at our backs than without them."

Jill said seriously, "Jo, remember how the movie ends? Groups of red-necks shooting zombies after stringing them up? I think we'll be fine, we just need to ride this out."

Jo nodded, not fully convinced, and added, "I noticed Chris took the kids over there, and there's a set of stairs going up. We're on the upper level so that has to be the roof."

Jill shrugged and said, "I'm confident we can hold the mall... but I'm not so confident that I'll turn down a little more security for the kids. They're next to an exit that isn't an entrance, there's even an office with a door there."

Jo lost her train of thought and someone at the other end of the Mall yelled, "Hey Robin, we've got two more zombies at this end!"

8:20 AM: James DeBeer, Above Forth Worth, Texas

James landed, looked at his watch, and then took off again. Getting better at this. Speed estimate looks low, this is a hair better than 60. Everyone thinks flight is noisy because airplanes are noisy. This is quiet and quickly getting boring. Three seconds of action on the land, and then 5 minutes of quietly watching the world go by. The life of a fireman all over again.

James searched his pockets and found... his cell phone.

Bet I get great reception here, let's check the log... still nothing. Adam called, no one else tried.

I could call. Heck, it's 9:20 their time, I will call. If someone picks up, when someone picks up, we'll compare notes for the four minutes it will take me to land.

James dialed 6 numbers. No one picked up. Not willing to think about what that meant, he put the phone away.

Archived