Warhammer: Shadows of Empire - The Jade Tower

Talos

"Twenty crowns will do nicely." He smiles, a predatory gleam in his eye. "What do the nobles pay for a gardener for a season? Perhaps ten crowns for the best of them? We set our rate for a single session at twice that. They will gladly pay." Hetta looks skeptical. "We will provide our new service free of charge to our three major patrons as a way of giving thanks. Word of what we do there will spread and soon we will have no trouble at all charging a mere twenty crowns."

Mikhail stood, "I will go to the parliament. Perhaps I will turn an obstinate senator into a tree, perhaps not. We shall see. Hetta, I would like to also contact the local farmers. While it may strain our ability I think we could enter into an agreement with them which will ease hunger in the region and garner us both goodwill and good coin. I may also need to see to your training personally. Your head is far too good to be wasted as a Journeyman, I will make it my goal to see you raised to the rank of Master before I leave here."

Hetta looked somewhat shocked at the last news.

"I ... I try," she stammered. "Umm ... as to the farmers, I feel your efforts would be better used outside the Taalbaston. There real hunger exists. The farms inside the walls provide for the city first. It would take an Act of Parliment to get the Lords and Ladies to send for more than a token to those suffering beyond their sight."

She thinks for a second,

"Maybe you could take Bruno and Victor out and see for yourself. All information I get about the state of Taalagad and beyond comes second or third hand, but they say it is bad, with all the refugees and all."

"You are too valuable to lose, but nor can I provide you with the insight you seek. I have never been beyond the Wall myself."

It is now Mikhail's turn to look shocked. "You have never left the city? You have never experience the true majesty of life in a deep forest?" Mikhail eyes spoke volumes of sadness, "Hetta, its no small wonder you have been kept as Journeyman, you are incredibly competent but I think perhaps you have not been given the chance to say your peace or make your own choices. I will see to it that you are given the chance to see what real wilderness is. In fact I consider it a must before I raise you to Master. We can't have a Jade Wizard running about calling herself Magister who has never been outside the city walls!" He smiles, "That would be as silly as a Jade wizard who dislikes the outdoors." Hetta knew that he was implying her fellow journeyman, a man who had disappointed Mikhail as quickly as Hetta had impressed him. "I will see to the village in a few days hence as you suggest. And I will likewise make time so that you can do the same within the week. You underestimate your own value Hetta and I would hate to waste such a precious resource. The gardener must tend to his vegetables lest the weeds choke all life from the vine."

"Hmmmm ... Master, I have been in the forests and swamps inside the Crater Wall. When people refer to the Wall, that is what it means - to us. I have felt the pulse of the natural world in the woods and the soil that rare feels the tread of man or beast. I have see the breath of the Woods come out of the loam near the swamp's edge. I do want to see more, but when I succeeded as Journeyman, the war was coming and my 'former' master - turned guide - Conrad councilled me to stay within the walls as I had little experience with the two-legged predators that roamed freely during times of crisis."

"I heeded his wisdom and remained behind. I have felt my power grow in the past year, but my studies for Master have sadly lagged behind. I would glad take my test for Master tomorrow if I thought I was worthy. I am not. I do not have the wisdom yet to be in that position," she gives him a rare smile, "but I will now strive harder to achieve that station."

Mikhail colored, "My mistake. For a moment I truly feared the worst. You underestimate yourself. Wisdom matters not for advancement, though it comes in handy from time to time. Were a level of wisdom required I suspect one or two apprentices might not make it to Journeyman and I doubt much that Faust would have at that. No, you are I think more ready than you realize. Though you may find that you wish I were wrong." Mikhail's belly grumbles, "Hmm. The grass soon withers and turns brown in drought. Perhaps you would take a meal with me Hetta? We can see just how ready you are to gain the stole of Master."

The two would be Lord Magisters of the mystic arts go to the second floor servants area and get a late meal and some ale. It turns out that Hetta does not have a great tolerance for drink and is soon slurring her words and giggling for no reason.

"So," she manages, "there I was heaving charcoal into the fire, and boom, it hits me, this is wood. I can see the rings in it and vevery thing. Like, I don't know, I had never thought of it before. So I start looking into all things wood, run across Master Conrad, and here I am."

"Wha's your story? I can tell you weren't trained as an apprentic right off. You'be got the woodsman's thumb from axework and the calusses of a hunter. What's your story? Were did the Jade breeze call to you?"

"I ... I prefer not to discuss my early life. Besides, I'm afraid I have gotten you quite drunk. You need to be put to bed lest you find yourself unable to function in the morn." Mikhail gently helps Hetta to her feet and finds that she's less steady than a new born fawn. With little thought to how it might be interpreted he scoops her up in his arms and carries her to her room. He lays her on her bed and then calls a maid to handle it from there before retiring for the evening to his own chamber. As he lay in bed he wondered how long he would be at this post and whether or not he might find himself forced to take root.

Morning came bright and not too early. Mikhail went down and enjoyed breakfast with his apprentices. He was still down two. A quick enquiry netted him thier early departure again with Nayobee, eating as they ran.

Hetta made an appearence half way through the meal and settled for dry toast and some hot tea. She rested a hand up against her temple. After their meal was done, she scooted them off to Pagovich's Mystica Creatures of the Land and groaned when they were safetly upstairs. She eyes Mikhail furitively until he had finished his meal. As he was getting ready to leave,

"Sir ... we didn't ... nothing happened ... did it ... last night?"

Mikhail arched an imperious eyebrow, keeping his own council.

"I mean, I don't handle my alcoholic beverages very well. I usually drink in moderation, but it was late and the conversation was ... intriguing. Did I do something stupid toward you last night?"

She had gotten redder the more she spoke until her normally very fair countance was as red as a Wissenland cloak. Clearly she was embarrassed and was trying to clear matters up, but to what end she wasn't sure. What was clear was she realized she had woken up in her own bed and had no idea how she got there.

Worse than that, she knew she was about to take a long trip with him beyond the Wall, and she was nervous about that. This would be her first wizardly assignment and if ... Well, she was trying desperately tog get her bearings.

Mikhail hid his mirth behind a mask of sterness, "Are you saying you doing remember what happened?" She shook her head her color unbelievably deepening further. "You don't recall putting your arms around my neck as I lefted you into my arms?" She stammered, stuttered, her eyes flicked wildly about the room as though looking for the smallest object she could crawl under and hide in. "You don't recall that I carried you upstairs ..." Her eyes grew wide, "... and into your room ..." She looked ready to faint, "... where I put you to bed with instructions to the maid to make sure you slept ok and were not sick on yourself?" Her legs gave out under her and she landed on her bottom on the floor as Mikail burst out into deep rolling peals of laughter.

Finally he was able to control himself. He stood and helped Hetta off the floor. "Hetta, you are my pupil for the time, it would be wrong for me to use that in any way. Which of course does not mean I am not allowed a little mirth at your expense." He smiled warmly, chuckles still causing his body to shake gently.

Hetta waits until she is several shades lighter before saying,

"I eagerly await my time as a Master, Master. Then I shall smite thee about the shoulders, back and bottom for toying with ms so."

She doesnt' think she has gone too far.

"So, what will be taking today? A horse ride should be ... entertaining for you. I will do my best. I sent Gretchen to gather some spell supplies for our journey and we can get some food from the larder. I will go get my cloak."

"Careful Hetta, some men would get the wrong impression from your words. After all when you become a Master you will no longer be my student." Hetta turned slightly redder. "If at that time you still want me to smite me well, we can see how things go then." Hetta's eyes went wide and she looked elsewhere. "In the meantime I suggest you ask the chef for some ginger root, it does wonders for ones stomach."

"Ginger root," Hetta says, deciding she has lived vicariously enough for one morning. She likes the new Master of the Tower and feels a tinge of regret knowing he may not want to stay here.

Food and supplies gathered, she goes down stairs to sees Victor with the two horses. Victor chuckles at her seeing her chew the ginger root. He's had his share of hard nights.

"You sure you two should be going it alone?" he questions. "It's rough on the outside. Those Hochlanders can't be trusted. I hear they are a desperate lot."

Just then Magister Mikhail comes down the stairs.

Mikhail's massive axe is over his shoulder, he smiles and says to Victor, "There are three of us. Anastasia here will not leave our side." He mounted his horse, "Shall we? I think there is little need to dally about."

They road through the Taalbaston gate and down into the cesspit that was Taalagad. The winding Wizard's Way gave them an excellent view of the surrounding farms. No wall surrounded Taalagad, as the town had long since grown beyond the old boundries and the people had used much of the old wall as building materials some time ago.

Mikhail viewed the farms and chose one of the largest to start his plan. They skirted the stink of the city and rode to the forest's edge were a large multi-family house stood. Walls surrounded it and linked the walls of the house to create a kind of fortification. The tall trees close by had their underbrush cleaned away (for firewood no doubt) and you could see under the eeves of the old growth trees. The sun beat down on the fields and it was approaching noon.

The housematron met the newcomers cautiously. She made the symbol of Taal when he revealed him and his companions to be Wizards but she did direct them to the field were her husband and some hands were working. Their journey back across the fields to a man who presented himself as Johann Friescher. He his two sons and a cousin were putting fertilizer to the fields and stank to high heavens.

It was a good sign that Johann didn't pale or shudder when Mikhail introduced himself and Hetta.

"What can I do for you, Magister?" the gentry inquired.

"It is what I can do for you - with you," Mikhail responded with a broad grin. This man was probably the most prosperous and most influencial local farmer. If he could be brought around, so could other farmers.

A deal was struck. If the Jade School could cause a full seasons growth in an afternoon, Johann would higher workers amongst the refugees. He would donate one quarter of his harvest to the poor and agree to charge summer rates for the next fifty percent. The rest he could sell at market prices. Neither man was a merchant so the deal was simple and easily reached.

It took only thirty minutes and the famer and his laborers were left lack-jawed with amazement. Mikhail had brought one large field to full yeild and Hetta another. Before Johann left for his new harvesting crew, Mikhail asked for a name of his closest neighbor and a recommendation. Johann sent his oldest son. With a caution to re-fertalize the field before planting, the three were off.

It was a productive afternoon. Mikhail even got to see Wolfgang and a small army of armed retainers moving up the roads. Wolf asked about patrols and roadwardens and had he seen any. Now that he mentioned it, the law of the region seemed somewhat lax - not that Mikhail and his trust axe were afraid.

Darkness fell and the two magi returned to the city. There was no room to be had in the town at a sane price. Mikhail decided to bring more money on the return trip. It was a four hour round trip otherwise.

On the second day, an enterprising foreman followed Mikhail with a work crew. On the second farm, he ran out of men and had to run back for four. By noon, he was welcomed in the house of his most current 'patron' and fed well. By dusk, many eyes of Taalagad were turned upon him and Hetta as the went to an Inn.

By the next morning it seemed half the city was waiting outside their inn. It fell to Hetta to remind them that the "Jade School of Wizardry" was doing all it could to aleviate the hunger and unemployement her amongs the unemployed and refugee alike. Mikhail had to acknowledge she had a head for promotion.

The had done much for the southern side of town, now they went to the north side, across the river. The town moved with them and the skeptical farmers here were soon won over. There was alos a report of three would-be farm workers had been accosted and murdered by bandits while they waited for work.

The northern sector was most definitely worse. There were army patrols, but they only handled the worst offenses and usually by hanging. The farmland here suffered from squaters having settled in the fields, because there was no place left in town. Still, they worked their magic and feed and employed. This day they felt the strain of the constant casting upon the Green Wind. They both knew they were pressing their luck. One more day, Mikhail promised.

This next day found Mikhail and Wolfgang crossing paths again. Two of his men bore signs of combat and their mood seemed more jovial and less grim. This time Wolfgang seemed to be the grim one. He had an unfortunate run in with the town bureaucrats. His efforts to bend their will to the rightousness of his cause was infuriating. Wolf wanted to start resettling the refugees and the city wouldn't let him. It made the Priest of Ulric grind his teeth.

Wolfgang also counciled that he was looking for signs of illness amongst the populace and asked if Mikhail could help out. Wolfgang had to go up the River Road to search for any outlaw bands in the area, or he would have helped. He did promise to return on the morrow.

Mikhail spent the morining back in the southern and western sectors growing more crops. He had a few close calls and Hetta failed a few times as well. They were becoming worn. They retreated back to their Inn shortly after noon. That was when he saw his first case of what was to become the Grey Ague.

Food and wine in hand, Mik and Hetta began following and talking to those they found to be sick. They found few clues. Many people were unrelated, their symptoms varied (shakes, cough, fever, grey skin, and rashes) though in the homes of the bed ridden they found them all. The people lived on or near the river, but a few cases farther inland were also related. Darkness descended and they were forced back inside as the criminals and the watch took control of the streets.

The fifth day proceeded much like the fourth, but they crossed over the river to work their magic. This was a better day, as they found their second 'Wind' so to speak. Crops grew in the drizzle and the workers were soon bringing the crops to harvest. Enterprising farmers were even hiring work crews to gather and spread whatever fertilizer could be gathered.

After noon, Mikhail's investigation continued with Hetta as his side, taking notes. Shortly into the day's work, a watch patrol informed them that another party, one Apothecary Gotthard Widenhoft was paying for samples from the houses of the afflicted. It seemed they had an ally, and one better educated in the arts of healing. What would Mikhail decide to do?

He was tired. Hetta was tired. Though it seemed as though their wizardly allowed them to grow crops with nary an ounce of effort the truth was that he would almost rather spend a day harvesting than a day growing. Almost. And now this disease, this pestilence that could only be the rot the Lord Magister had told him of, it was something he could not escape, his eyes saw it everywhere, his ears heard the coughs, wet and phlegmy as they passed any gathering of peasants. Five days of hard work and Mikhail was both pleased by the results and tired beyond his ability to estimate. He nodded absently as the watch told him of the apothecary. "Thank you good man, I will seek him out."

Mikhail gestured and Hetta gave the man a silver schilling for his trouble. She didn't even wince; the tower's share of profit from the wheat, and vegetables that they had grown would more than cover their trivial expenses. He spied Hetta making a note in a small book, she was actually making an accounting of the tip paid to the watchman. Mikhail shook his head, an amused smile tugged at his face as he kicked his horse back to a slow canter. It took them another hour of asking around and giving out copper pennies before they finally found the apothecary.

Mikhail dismounted and greeted the man. "Hail and well met. Mikhail Petrovich of the Jade Tower. I have heard that you are investigating the cause of this sickness that has spread around. Perhaps we can discuss and pool our knowledge and resources?"

He invites the two Magi into his study and closes the door. He seems a worried, balding little man. He adjust his spectacles before getting down to business.

"My pleasure Magister. I am glad someone else has been looking into this as well. It is not exactly like any other disease I've ever read of or encountered."

He walks around his desk until he is at his chair. He picks up a book,

"It is most similar to a disease that was recorded in they city of Miragliano in Tilea several centuries ago. It was called the Pale Shivers ... but it wasn't fatal, or so it was recored. Mind you, I have only discovered three fatalities so far, but I don't know how many I may have missed."

"It is perplexing. It is like someone turned this terrier into a Wolfhound. Then there is the nature of the infection. It doesn't follow any usual patterns of spreading. I hypothesize that it is in the water, but its not parsitic."

The old man shakes his head.

"I have asked for the Captain of the Taalbaston for some aid in gathering more information and samples of the river from various points. I hope to have more information soon."

"Now, what have you discovered?"

Mikhail and Hetta listed off their own observations. They started with the various symptoms that they had seen and the fact that only the bedridden seemed to have all of them in common. They mentioned that they had traveled throughout and around the city and that there were more sick who lived near the river than not. In the end it was a depressing conversation and a poor way to strike up a friendship. "We have been applying ourselves toward ending, or at least slaking, the famine in the area. With luck better fed victims will be stronger and more ready to fend off this malady. However I fear that something is in the water, it seems the most common clue." Mikhail paused for a moment considering. "Perhaps we should return and travel up the river. It could be that something further upstream is polluting the river and if we could find the source we might be able to end this sickness." He holds up a hand forestalling Hetta, "But I must be at parliament tomorrow, it will need to wait a few days before I could see to it personally."

Apothecary Widenhoft nods and relays his thanks. A pall of sadness goes with the two magi as they leave his shop and harried existance. They have many miles to go and he has to get back to making medicines for the ill of Taalagad.

They wind there way up the Wizard's Way, Hetta looks over her shoulder, pass the town and to the river.

"Master, the river is life to these people, but can it now be their death as well? I must admit, I don't understand this. Aren't plagues supposed to be contagious and widespread? What kind of sickness is this?"

As they they ride around another cutback, she has another question.

"What can our magic do against this? Is this a struggle of the mind alone?"

She has seriously been taken off her previous high that came from fighting the hunger and joblessness. She makes no effort to hide her concerns ... then she coughs.

Mikhail was about ready to explain that sometimes, just sometimes, magic couldn't do a damn thing but that a little physical action could work wonders. But then Hetta coughed and Mikhail's stomache fell out from inside him. "That wasn't funny." He said it with the hope that it was indeed a joke, perhaps her way of getting back at him from before they had left the tower.

She looks at him, her face a mask of confusion slowly turning to that of fear.

"But how?" she whispers to him so as not to alarm their fellow travelers up Wizard's Way. "I ... we were so careful."

She rode along for a few in silence.

"Maybe it is the fatigue. We've been quite busy."

Hetta looks to Mikhail for reassurance, but the fear remains in her eyes. That sudden tickle in her throat now has sinister connotations. Even the apothecary's report that ONLY three had died is of little comfort if you are facing being another one of those three.

She wants Master Mikhail to look at her and to say the words that will reassure her, but instead of asking all she can do is offer him a weak smile.

"Then you will spend all day tomorrow doing naught but sleeping and taking broth. I shall do all in my power to find the source of the malaise and destroy it. In the meantime I will summon my freind the Lord Fang, if his order can help you they will." Mikhail hide his fear behind iron resolve and determination. He had made certain that an army of beastmen had not stepped cross the bridge at Untergard and he would make certain this disease was eradicated.

The rest of the ride was done in silence. She coughed only occassionally and remained blessedly quiet while passing the Taalbaston Guards at the entrance to the tunnel. It was clear to Mikhail that Hetta was depressed. This had been her first real adventure and to have it end like this was heartbreaking. She had really behaved remarkably well for one of her talent.

The arrived at the Jade Tower before dark. Gretchen Arhaus was officially in charge. Journeyman Faust had gone to the woods to practice with magic. He had taken Bruno with him and Victor was in town drinking but due back soon. Hetta hurried to her room, requesting tea, broth, and solitude. This brough Mikhail some odd looks but no reproaches.

For Mikhail, there was some satisfaction that the school run well in his absence. Fortunately for Journeyman Faust's continued presence in the school, he had been teaching classes and even leading a trip to the gardens and heading some magical practice (though that brought a smile to Gretchen's face).

Night was not good, because Hetta sent a message that the shivers had set in. She had the Grey Ague and neither one of them could think of what she had done wrong.

The next morning Mikhail sent one of the apprentices to the Church of Ulric first thing with a message to the Lord Fang. In it Mikhail requested that Wolfgang send somebody who might provide healing to Hetta before the mystery disease could progress even further. Meanwhile he sent another apprentice to locate and speak to all of the local apothecaries and return with whatever recommendations they could provide, or the men themselves if they would come. Mikhail took breakfast alone as he brooded in his study. Suddenly parliament seemed the least of his troubles.

Three returned by mid-morning. One was the Apprentice Friedrich, who had been sent out, another was Shard Johanna of the Temple of Ulric, and the last was Sister Martta of the Temple of Shallya. Shard Johanna bore a message:

Magister Petrovich,

I have been made aware of your problem. Lord Fang Wolfgang is not currently available. Seeing as to the current state of our relationship to the Jade Tower, I have sent a personal appeal to the Temple of Shallya to assist you in this matter. May I suggest you keep this matter private and within your house. Our discresion is assured.

May the Lord of Winter be a strenght to you in these times,

Mannfred Rohm, Fang of Ulric

Shard Johanna stood guard of Sister Martta as if her life depended upon it. Apprentice Friedrich looked confused and anxious, not knowing the natured of the missives he had been carrying. Martta looked young and determined as she was led to Hetta's chamber.

She knelt beside Hetta, who attempted to rise, though the priestess stopped her. There, the young priestess called upon the will of her Goddess, the Goddess of Mercy and Healing, to defeat the disease that plagued Hetta. She pulled out a poultice and placed it upon Hetta's chest to draw out the affliction. She raised up her voice, the poultice was consumed in a silver vapor and ... nothing happened.

The Sister lowered her head.

"I have failed. My ability was not strong enough to defeat this disease."

She thought for a moment,

"I can attempt something that might buy her some time until more powerful Sisters of the Temple return. Once more she prayed. This time some sweat appreared on her lower lip, a clear sign of a more powerful incantation. She waved her hands over Hetta, chanting for a few seconds before hanging her head in shame once more."

"It is not enough," she panted. Sister Martta stood up an looked at Mikhail, very unhappy with herself. Hetta sat up and swung her feet out of bed, still fully capable of movement. To Mikhail, the Sister addressed,

"Keep your assistant isolated. Wear scarves when you are around her and boil the scarves once a day. Boil anything she touches, like bowls and spoons. When she comes through this, burn her bedding and clothes. It is all that you can do now. I am so sorry. The more experienced Sister left yesterday afternoon for Taalagad, were similar afflictions have been noticed. We are attempting to head off an outbreak there."

With that the Sister of Shallya turned to leave. Johanna turned to leave with her.

Mikhail looked Hetta in the eyes, his eyebrow arched as she tried to rise from the bed. "You will get back into that bed now and rest or so help me I will tie you to it!" Mikhail moved away as the grumbling Hetta scowled and crawled back under the sheets. "Thank you sister, I appreciate all that you have done." He reaches into his coin purse and pulls out ten crowns, "Consider this a personal donation as a token of thanks."

He left with the sisters and informed the maid of their instructions being careful that she understood to follow them to the letter and that the Tower would pay her extra accordingly. A frown on his face Mikhail went to his rooms to wash and change before the parliament meeting.

It ate at his mind while he layed out the sumptuous robes for the parliment.

What had Hetta done wrong?

What had he and Hetta done differently?

What had he missed?

He kept mulling over the facts. Hetta was as smart as he was, if not smarter. She hadn't messed up, not in the context of the disease. She had no touched anyone affected, eaten any of their food, or drunk their water. All she had done was share the air and the apothacary and his own eyes had witness that was NOT the vector of this disease.

Air ... air ... air.

He was down the stairs, calling for his horse, when it hit him like an anvil from the sky.

The disease had changed.

Archived