Warhammer: Shadows of Empire - The Jade Tower

Talos

Mikhail bade a temporary farewell to the others and made his way to the Jade Tower, such as it was. Nayobee trailed along and after some time they found the home of the wizards of life. Six trees, arranged around an old stone tower had been manipulated to grow together and into the building. One could accurately say that at this point the tower was more a living construct that a simple building. As he approached Mkhail inhaled deeply and found that the air was scrubbed pleasantly clean by the trees and other plants, as compared to the rest of te city this was actually habitable. He smiled and the two of them entered the tower and found temselves greeted by a journeyman wizard.

"Can I help you? I am Journeyman Hetta of the Jade Order."

Mikhail smiled and produced his papers before removing the wolf helm. "I am Mikhail Ptrovich, Master of the Jade Wind. I have been asked to come here and help out."

Hetta quickly looked at the papers, "I am sorry Master Petrovich, forgive me."

"It is alright, there was no way for you to know, and you were hardly impolite. I am weary from my travels and would like to see my quarters. This is Nayobee, she is acting as my bodyguard for the time being. Please accord her a level of respect as you would one of our order."

"Of course Master, right this way." Hetta led them up into the tower. As they climbed Mikhail noted with satisfaction that the limbs of the trees had grown through the stone walls and been woven into fixures and shelves and even simple furniture. "This will be your quarters Master, dinner is at seven bells. Would you like me to notify the Lord Master of your arrival?"

"Yes that would be fine. Thank you." Hetta curtsied and then left. Mikail walked to the window and saw the vast fields of the local farms were his view, far better than a view of the city in his opinion. Mikhail set his pack down and began to lay aside his furs and cloak.

"It would seem this will be my home for the forseeable future. I think I could have done worse," he commented to Nayobee.

Nayobee smiled at Hetta and remained polite not saying anything until they reached Mikhail's quarters. She had been very quiet since the event with the other Ghost Strider and Mikhail could tell that something was on her mind. He had never seen her as emotional before - not even in the thickest of fights she'd always had an aloof, almost cold aura to what she did even if she enjoyed killing the enemy a lot.

"I agree, Mikhail. I suppose it is a special place even for your kind. Am I actually hired as your bodyguard or do I have to thank you for saving me from the authorities bureaucracy?", she smiled briefly at him which came close enough to saying thank you for her.

"I need to help my fellow Ghost Strider. Something is rotten in this city and needs to be cut out.", her smile faded as fast as it briefly appeared and back was her stone cold mask of murder. Her eyes sparkled with an intensity that she only displayed when she was about to strike out at the enemy.

Mikhail sighed once again, "The cycle of life includes death and decomposition. A city like this naturally has rot within. I assume however that you have reason to believe that this is no natural condition?" Mikhail walked behind a screen the separated the room into two, behind was a bed and some furniture for storing clothing and personal effects. The front half of the quarters was more like a study and sitting area. Mikhail quickly stripped and found some clean water to quickly clean himself. "If you explain to me the situation I will help as I can. Know that my actions will come back to the Tower however so I may not be able to do all you would wish of me."

He emerged from behind the screen and Nayobee could hardly recognize him. Gone were the leathers and furs, the heavy woodsman's boots and the wolf helm. Even the massive Axe he called Anastasia was gone. Instead he wore a long robe of deep emerald green accented at the cuffs, hem, and down the front with shades of lighter green and warm brown. To her surprise Nayobee saw his feet were bare and his hair was free and loose, freshly washed. He bearing was no longer that of a massive barbarian or Kislevian woodsman but instead a wise and nobel wiard of the Jade order. A stole that appeared to be woven vines and flowers completed the image. "After all, I am now the Master of this tower, I must look after my people first."

Nayobee sighed at Mikhail and nodded, "Of course, Mikhail. I understand your situation. I spoke to Ioriona and she told me that there was an agreement between the Wood Elves of this region and the elected Count - now recently disappeared Count. It looks like the greed of men has brought this insolence upon my kin. I can understand their thirst for vengeance and retribution but no human jurisdiction will judge what has to be judged. I promised her I would help her and I'm inclined to keep my promise.", she raised an eyebrow at Mikhail but didn't expect much help from him.

Mikhail grunted and settled the stole over his broad shoulders. He set am imposing image normally but in his wizard's robes he fairly radiated confidence, power, and virile life. "Why don't you start by telling me what you know. I'll do what I can within my power to help and I'm sure Wolfgang will as well."

"I don't know much more than I already told you. The agreement between my Kin and the Elector-Count was based on trust and mutual respect. My Kin kept the lands they claimed free of cultists and outlaws in return. There is a human noble that put out a bounty on my Kin. He is a resident of this city."

Nayobee had walked to the window while she explained Mikhail what she had learned from Ioriona and looked outside. "I understand if you don't want to get involved but I can't deny the anger I feel about this outrage. Something must be done.", she had turned her head back to him with her cold eyes meeting his' waiting for his answer.

"That's rather vauge at best. Do you know the alleged noble's name? Who is paying out the bounty? It cannot be the nobel himself, that would be too crude and obvious." Mikhail rans his fingers through his hair. "Perhaps if the man doesn't die we can get in to talk to this elf again and try and find out more than you were able before. If he does die I'm not sure there will be anything more that can be done for her."

"I don't know any names. He is a Baron of Talabheim. Ioriona didn't want to tell me more. She thinks it is her duty to exact revenge. I couldn't convince her to tell me more."

Nayobee was at her end. These politics were one of the reasons she left her family. She loathed it and if she hadn't defied her father she would be involved in Elven-politics today. Her eyes spoke more though. She needed help but she didn't know how to propose it without losing her face. She was too proud to ask for help.

"You have no name, no leads?" Mikhail shakes his head. "Without information I do not know what I can do. You would be better off talking with Diarmuir, he might know whom to talk to and where to look to find out who is behind this."

Nayobee nodded. The Bounty Hunter had proven to be very resourceful. "Thank you for the advice, Mikhail. How are your chances to get to the prison and interrogate that man?", she crossed her arms over her chest and breathed in holding her breath for a moment before she quietly exhaled.

"The man she shot? I doubt he's in the prison for one. Even if he is I would not wager a copper penny on him being willing to talk to me." Mikhail sighed and headed for the door. "Besides which, I cannot leverage much, I have little reputation in this town as of yet. I could get us in to see the elf woman because of the ties of the Jade Winds between our peoples. Come, I must tour the tower and get to know my new charges."

Mikhail had but to step outside the room to see one of the servants that had brought him to his room standing there. It was that smart looking young girl named ... named ...

"Umma, my Senior Magister," she chirped, apparently used to having her name forgotten.

"I need a tour of the tower, if you please," Mikhail commanded.

"As you wish," she responded with perfect sincerity. "The Floor above us is the sole domain of the Lord Magister. He is having his pre-dinner nap right now and must not be disturbed. I never go up there, only Mother does."

"As for this floor, the West room remains vacant, and the North and south rooms are reserved for the Masters who are away at the war."

"Now the floor below us," she began as she made her way to the stairs, "is the domain of the Journeyman Wizards and other honored guests. They have single rooms which are quite nice. It is also the repository for the main library."

She led the way demurily down the stairs and Mikhail could see one mage busy studying and writing in the library (the stairs open up into one end of the library.

"This is Journeyman Metternich Faust," she whispers. "Your other Journeyman is Hetta. She is out with Apprentices training them in the Taalgarten."

Umma leans in and extra quietly says,

"She is always training the students. She has a real gift for it."

Down the stairs they go.

"This Third floor is were the apprentices stay. They are not here right now. The boys are quite messy. Whoops," she blushes, "you don't need to know that."

"Master, this is were you have thier cells, two per cell. They can do their research in the common room. They can borrow books from upstairs, or use the one's stored here, but they may not study upstairs."

Beneath him, Mikhail can hear multiple feet coming upstairs. Instinctively, Umma steps aside. Up the stairs leading the way is a blonde, big-boned woman who is talking to someone behind her. She catches sight of Mikhail at the last moment and blinks at him.

"Excuse me sir?"

"This is the new Magister they have sent us from the Capital. He is Senior Magister Mikhail Aleksandr Petrovich," Umma completes with much pride. "This is Journeyman Hetta."

"Child," the woman begins, "we are in the ... Oh," her eyes get big, "THE Capital."

She courtsies to Mikhail,

"It is good to have you hear, if I may remark. I was beginning to think we had been forgotten. May I pull up and introduce the Apprentices, or are you ... otherwise engaged?"

Mikhail got away with an imperious nod and a steady, thoughtful gaze. The apprentices were whispering until the Hetta gives them a sharp cough.

"These are Apprentices One, Two, Three, Four, and Five."

One and five were women. Hawk made a screeching noise when Five stepped forward to be presented. As a group they were somewhat unimpressed with the new Master Wizard, or at least not as impressed as they should have been. By his beard, he almost thought one of the spuds was actually going to speak to him.

The realization that he had been trained alone, as his Master's only apprentice in a wilderness environment, was not lost on Mikhail. School trained mages were a different kind of creature. Now he had an incling as to why that was.

Hetta took a gamble just then, hoping she had judged the Master rightly.

"One step forward and state your name for the Master."

One did, and so did the rest when their number was called.

Mikhail grunted, "No. No need at this time. Hetta?" She nodded, "Hetta please arrange time for me to meet with each apprentice individually. I'll take my mid morning and mid afternoon teas with one of them each for the next few days. In fact please set aside time for you and I and the other journeyman as well. If I am to oversee the tower I would know who and what I am overseeing."

He moved down the steps, smiling inwardly at the gaping stares behind him. "Umma, I believe we were headed to the kitchens yes?"

"His name is Journeyman Faust, Sir," Hetta adds and I will inform him immedidately. He is may senior."

Hetta steps dramatically aside to let Mikhail pass. Once he does, she hurries upstairs. Once he has gone down half a level, he can then hear a commotion break out upstairs with various students talking rapidly in hushed tones.

"Master," Umma continues, "this is the Dinning level. Here we, the servants, prepare your food, feed the apprentices, store our food, and have our cells. If you ever need to find one of us, you can knock on this door," she points to a door, "and one of us will respond. Old Kurt is the Cook. The two hunters of the house also bed here when in town. They are both currently out of town right now on a mission for Journeyman Faust."

She follows the stairs down.

"This is the main level. Here is were were the entry way, and two waiting rooms were we hold visitors not normally allowed higher up. The rear of this level has a lift to the kitchen, a pantry, and store room."

Downstairs, she leads into the basement.

"This is the first basement, were we store herbal supplies, ritual aids - which I know nothing about - and food storage."

She stops at the first basement level,

"Beneath us is the Second basement were magical stuff is worked. We are forbidden there. There is a wellspring because apprentices are sent down every morning to fill two buckets of water. Their slippers are always dirty," she observes.

She folds he hands infront of her, looking directly at him as she says,

"Will there be anything else, Master?"

"I think that should be sufficient, Umma, my thanks. Oh. Wait, one more thing. Can you arrange for quarters for Nayobee here. She will be my guest for the forseeable future. She is an ... emmisary from the Wood Elves." Umma nods and curtsies before scurrying off. Mikhail and Nayobee return to the kitchens and with the help of one of the other servants pull together a small meal. "Well, I think that since you are my um, bodyguard, that I shall send you to bring the bounty hunter here for an audience." Mikhail smiles, "We can see what he can do to help get you some more information about the killings."

Nayobee nodded at Umma politely and smiled at Mikhail - a rare gesture of hers. "I shall find him, Mikhail."

She followed Umma to her quarters just stopping briefly at the door. "Thank you, Mikhail.", then she was gone.

Nayobee didn't expect much from her quarters but it sure had more comfort and luxury she was used to on her travels. Unlike the lousy taverns she sometimes had to stay in this place actually had something that reminded her of her home even though most memories were rather painful she appreciated the purity of the place.

The Elven Ghost Strider dismissed Umma with another brief nod and looked out of her window staring into the distance. Finding Diarmuir in this city would be a difficult task for her. She'd have to find Wolfgang first and hope he'd have an advice for her where to look for the scoundrel. After she got herself refreshed Nayobee left the Jade Tower and set her path to the Temple of Ulric.

"I'm here if you need me," Mikhail said before he departed from the guests quarters. He descended to the first level and went outside. He walked around the grounds of the tower, his hands touching the trees and his feet absorbing the strength of life from the earth. Even in the city he was able to feel the power of nature though it was still a pale shadow to what he felt in the deep forest. Simple communion with nature was the most reassuring thing he had. As he walked he meditated on the task ahead, not just helping Nayobee with a lost cause, but becoming the de facto leader of this tower. He wondered if he was up to the challenge, as much as he might not like to admit it he was more a warrior than an administrator or a teacher. In service to life he had to end life. Often. He shook his head sadly.

Mikhail can feel the tree beneahth his hand stir and pulse with renewed power, as if just awakening. Umma returns rather quickly and breathless as he studies this phenomina.

"Master Mikhail, the Lord Magister has awakened and asked for your company at dinner."

Seeing some uncertainty as to her rapid appearance, she clarifies,

"When the Lord Magister awakens, the trees groan in a certain way. I went to attend him and he immediately asked for you. So here I am."

As Mikhail walked up to the Sixth floor he noted how much more the building became wood-like. Branches intertwined to replace stairs, roof, and floores. Leaves grew from the walls. The walls felt that much more alive. Unlike every other level, the Lord Magisters level had a door at it. The Jade Wizard knocked and a raspy old voice said,

"Enter."

Inside, Mikhail could see the whole forty by forty space was one living wooden room. Nothing artificial or man-made remained. even the man's bed seemed to grow out of the wooden floor with posts going up into the ceiling. The room was a clutter of stuff, including an old set of armor, multiople chest and book shelves, and a man sitting in a small chair by the window looking west.

The man's hair was long and flowing white, as we his beard and eyebrows. He had an unkempt, wild look about him. His robes, while green, were the shade of the deep forest, with very subdued greens, browns, and greys. He had a ring with a green gemstone upon it and a simple staff was at hand.

"When I started on this path, it was out of fear. I was prideful and I feared the deep, dark, living places. I have seen much since then, and I wonder if I fear anymore."

He sounded thoughtful and sad.

"Why are you here," he inquired," and what do you plan to accomplish here?"

Mikhail stood silent for a moment. Finally he spoke, "I am here because it was requested of me and it is my duty. As for whay I seek to accomplish here, I am not sure what you mean. Surely I am here to see to the needs of the tower. A master is needed even in times of war when we are called off to combat the enemies of the realm somebody must be here. A garden quickly becomes choked with weeds and pests should the gardener not tend it."

"Gardens ... I remember gardens. I have learned the best gardeners work with what they are given and what they find, instead of what they want to create."

He looks fully on Mikhail.

"You look to me to be the former. I appreciate you being here, being a forester and not a cultivator. This is not a place were you will prosper, but I do not see you here forever. You are new to the title of Magister so this will not be your permanent residence. You have many years and I do believe Conrad or Zwitten will return, but the enemy is still strong in the North and they are needed."

"Right now this tree needs tending too. My dreams are troubled, and I can't lay the blame yet. Something gnaws at the roots of the city."

"Now, you need to go meet one of our noble sponsors tomorrow, or the day after at the latest. It is part of seeing the school stays strong, plus they can give you some direction in the parliment. Hetta can help you in your selection."

He slowlsy stands and gets up.

"Food is coming. Let us clear some books off these tables so that we can eat."

"Of course," Mikhail began to methodically clear books and scrolls from the table putting them into shelves or on other tables as directed by the other man. "Sir, if I might explain. You are aware I am Kislevian. The one thing I would desire is to return to my homeland and not be an outcast. But that is not to be and so I have dedicated my life to those who need my help. Be they trees or people. If there is one thing I hope to do while I am here it is to continue that work, to help those who are in need."

The Ancient man grumbles,

"Hrrrmmm ... you may not be aware, but there is a small but thriving Kislev community here. When they become aware that there is a Master Wizard here of their blood, they may seek you out to help redress some of the sins committed against them. They are a people in need."

Umma came up with two trays, one stacked upon the other. She was definitely exerting herself. She put them both down in front of Mikhail and then took the top one to the Lord Magister.

"Thank you Umma," he said.

He turned to Mikhail once more.

"I'm Tilean. I came over the mountains many years ago as a mercenary. I planned to make a wagon load of money, return to my village and buy may overlord's castle out from under him. I wonder what my village looks like now?"

He eyes Mikhail,

"Don't regret. Try and do what you want ... and make sure to flee if things go poorly. None of us deserve to be burned at the stake," he adds with a wink.

"The soup is good today," he says after sipping some. He starts to hum a foreign tune and gets lost in playing in his soup, floating pieces of toast in it.

Mikhail frowned. While it was true he would desire greatly to be amongst his people once more he knew the attitude that Kislev took toward males who used magic. He wondered if these people would indeed welcome him and seek his help or if they would scorn and curse him.

He nodded to the older man's advice as he began his own meal. The food was excellent and he ate his fill which surprised him. He would have to thank Umma later for what must have been an enormous portion compared to the wizened old man across from him.

After their trays had been removed Umma brought them each an ale. She had even managed to find the time to purchase a proper Kislevian tankard that fairly dwarfed the mug she placed before the Lord Magister. "If I may ask sir. You said something gnaws at the roots of the city. Can you tell me more? An ... associate of mine on the road here mentioned something about a sickness, and another has found the air here hostile to her people, the wood elves. I cannot help but wonder if these are connected."

After a minute, the old man looked up. He studied Mikhail for a moment.

"You're not Friedrich!" he pronounced. "Who are you?"

The Lord Magister picked up his staff and pointed it at Mikhail like a loaded crossbow.

"What are you doing in my room? I didn't order any construction," he was all but yelling now.

Umma came running up into the room,

"Father, Father! This man has gotten lost. I will show him were he needs to be."

Umma urgently pulled Mikhail toward's the stairs.

Markasius lowered his staff slightly, but eyed the tall Kislevite with suspicious eyes.

Mikhail found himself being pulled along by Umma, the small woman urgently tugging at his arm. They went down to his chambers together and after a moment he had calmed himself. "Umma, what is the meaning of this?"

She looks to the ground, or in this case the steps.

"Sometimes the Lord Magister's mind goes back ten, twenty, even forty years. He forgets things or remembers other things. He's never harmed anybody, but there have been some tight moments. He and Master Conrad nearly went at it once."

She leads him farther down the stairs,

"Mother days he has gotten worse the past year or so, all those dark dreams he's been having, like something is gnawing at his mind."

She looks up to Mikhail with deep sympathy in her eyes.

"Maybe you can plumb the depths of his dreams and find out what's gone wrong with him."

"Such powers are beyond those of the Jade Wind child. I will see what I can do for him though. I'll need you to send word that I would like to sup with the Count von Taalgard, I would see what we may do for each other." She turned to go, "Umma, one last thing."

"Yes magister?"

"I understand that there are a number of sons and daughters of Kislev in the city. I would appreciate it if you could have the cook consider attempting some of the dishes of my homeland. It ... it has been a long time since I was back there."

Umma nods then grins.

"That is a suitable task for an apprentice or two. It wouldn't do to send Olf Kurt out, but we could ask the Kislev community to send us a cook to give him advice. Is that acceptable Sir?"

"As for the Count, I'll have to ask Hetta to do it since she has the Seal of the College in her possession. She makes the most wonderful letters."

Umma courtseys and heads off at a quick step. Moments later, Hetta appears in the Master's territoy.

"Master Mikhail, can I enquire as to the nature of your visit with the von Taalgard? Is the urgent? I can word it as you wish, but if it isn't urgent it may take a week or two to make an appointment."

She waits patiently for his response.

"As you see fit Umma, I merely long for the foods of my youth." Mikhail had barely sat down to contemplate the situation with the Lord Magister before Hetta arrived. "Hetta, you will find that noble folk are no different than you or I except that they lack utterly the basic humility that comes from growing up as equals with the people they steward. I should think however that von Taalgard would like to meet the new Jade Wizard who will be overseeing the tower that they so generously help fund. If they do not then so be it."

Hetta bit her lip. Either this man didn't deal with nobles on a regular basis, or he had no truck with them. How to put this?

"Magister, they will be glad to see you. Would you consider accompanying them to a larger function perhaps. That way more possible supporters could meet with you with the Von Taalgards as your patrons."

By Taal, how Hetta begged to go out into the deep woods and listen to the leaves sway in the breeze and the roots digging deep. She felt loyal to her school though.

"I will create the letter as soon as possible and have it for your eyes within half a bell."

She scurried away to do what needed to be done. True to her word, she came back with as somewhat flowerly letter that seemed overly gracious and fawning to Mikhail, but did get the message across that the new Magister was ready to meet with those who had shown loyalty to the Jade Tower in any venue they found suitable. She brought up the School Seal and a large green candle.

Mikhail read the letter and shrugged. "If you feel this is appropriate. Though I was not aware that it was the purview of the Jade winds to grow the egos of people. I would have expected that to be a skill reserved for politicians alone." Mikhail signed the letter in his broad, somewhat boxy writing and blotted the in ink with sand. "Hetta, how long have you been at service in this tower? How far along are your studies?" He placed the folded letter into an envelope and poured green wax over the closure before stamping both the Tower's seal and his own into the congealing wax.

You didn't scold Magisters or correct them on civic etiquette. It just wasn't done.

"I have been here twelve years, apprentice and journeyman, Magister. Before that I was a tradesman's daughter and was following in his craft."

Mikhail could tell she was slightly put off by something.

"Shall I make sure this is delivered. The Sun is failing in the West."

Mikhail sighed, "Journeyman Hetta, if need be I will make this an order and not a request, though I would prefer not to. Please, speak freely, as you would to an equal. The acorn that becomes a sapling grows eventually into a tree and is no less a tree when but a nut fallen newly upon the ground. I may be further along the path but I am not better than you anymore than the Lord Magister is better than I. We are merely at different stages of life. If something is bothering you, or you feel I need ... additional information, I would have it from you lest I make an ass out of a tree." He smiled and tried to be reassuring, deep down he would rather be well away from here in the midst of a field or deep in the old woods, he suspected that any of his order felt that way under almost any circumstances however so it made him feel better despite being trapped here by duty.

Hetta bows and takes a cleansing breath.

"Magister, we need the nobles for two reasons. Foremost, they provide for what is necessary to train the apprentices. If our order is to prosper we must accept that we will need to move beyond the classical Master-apprentice structure. I feel the Apprentices prosper working with others of their own level. They are less inclinded to push so hard at an early age. That structure needs a good deal of money - for books, food, shelter, and supplies."

"Secondly, Magister, we are feared. Even so long after the War Against Chaos and the days of Magnus the Pious. Even in this war there are some voices that say that it is the dabbling of the Orders that has brought on this storm. We need allies and mundane contacts. We must try to expand the enlightment of what we really are about."

"They may not understand you, but they are trying, our noble patrons, and sometimes they need to roll out their 'pet' mage," she emphsizes pet with finger crunches.

"They show the world that their money has influence over us and thus presents the illusion that we are part of their world. It's not like they can ever truly understand us, but we can attempt to understand them."

Hetta looks down.

"I hope my remarks have not angered you. I just want to help you understand what the rest of us have been working toward while you were fighting the war on the front lines."

"Were I worried about your words I would be a fool for asking for them and a fool for worrying both. You know this tower better than I and it would be a waste for me to dismiss your knowledge and opinion. I agree that apprentice's and journeymen need to be handled better both in training and as resources." Mikhail sighs, "And I suppose I must agree that we do need the nobility. I will curb my tongue in the hope of keeping in their good graces."

Mikhail was silent for a moment, "I meant what I said. I truly do not believe that you are my lessor simply for the additional power and skill I have in wielding the Jade wind. I would appreciate it greatly if you would continue to help me to become more accustomed and adept at this new role."

Hetta smiled and bowed her head slightly. The smile not only remained, but it grew broader.

"I hope you know what you are asking for, Magister. We here in the Eye of the Forest have many opinions. Let's talk about the Apprentices."

She outlined her opinions of the five, both good and bad. There was a tempering by class bias, but she fully admitted to it. she also talked about her bitterness with Journeyman Faust. While he was senior Journeyman, he did little to advance the school, spending his time solely on his version of the art. Hetta could grasp the importance of it, but decryed his priorities.

After dinner the Apprentices went about their studies. Mikhail made his rounds with Hetta talking to, encouraging, and correcting the students as they took to their course work. Were as Mikhail had learned magic directly from his Master's tomes, these students learned from lesser (and less dangerous) books.

Well into the night, right before bedtime, Hetta brought the two hunters, just returned to see Mikhail. Bruno, a tall burly and very woodsy feeling, and Victor, who made an art of being non-descript and unmemorable, made their bows and related what they had found in the forest. Spring was coming, the game was out with their young, and little damage had been done in the winter by charcoal burners, or famers 'extending' their fields. Their report done, they retired.

"Hetta, opinions are like the stinkhorn mushroom. They grow everywhere like weeds and they all smell worse than an outhouse in summer." Mikhail smiled and together they set to work. At the end of a long day Mikhail slouched in his study across from Hetta who seemed to still have energy to spare. "Tell Faust I would like to speak with him tomorrow. If he wants to spend his days doing naught but study he should hurry up and take his Masters tests, while he is a Journeyman under my leadership he will help. Period. Perhaps we should remind him of what it is to be a mage of the Jade eh? I will send him out with the hunters to repair what damage was done over the winter. He can remind himself of the power of life by helping to restore what was lost to axe and fire."

The Baron von Krutzenheim and his daughter Ingrid (who you may have been ignoring much of the night) dropped Mikhail off at his doorstep. As he reached for the door, the wood seemed to moan softly and the door latch clicked open. It was what home to a Jade Wizard was supposed to be like. Beatrice came down to meet him, lamp in hand.

"Greetings, Master. I hope your evening went okay."

She used a taper to light a second lantern and handed it to Mikhail.

"Shall I bring anything to your quarters?" the servant inquired. It was her job to ask, after all.

Mikhail could only shake his head in the negative. He had had enough for one evening. Quiet frankly, a night under the stars and away from all this was what he really wanted.

The next morning brought Hetta with her updates of what was going on with the apprentices (two out with Nayobee - unspecified duty), and the journeyman. After breakfast came the confrontation with Faust. It turned into a half-lecture on the value of categorizing every plant in the Old World, and whining on how no one understood his approach to the arts. What was evident was that despite his years of academic progress, Faust had failed to push his magical arts beyond the apprentice level. Mikhail put his foot down. If he wanted to do pure research, he had to do it outside of the Tower's auspices. He gave Faust a week to think it over.

That evening he had another curious talk with the Wizard Lord and survived it with the old man wishing him a good night. The Lord Magisters brain was a wonderful jumble of facts and adventures, a few which he had shared. At the end, when they parted company, the man cautioned,

"Do not dream."

On the third day an annoucement was delivered that requested Mihkail's attention to the next parliment meeting the following day. Hetta made some inquires and learned that a powerful ally of The Countess had their daughter kidnapped and now the government was going to make an unpresidented response. Little else could be found out at this time.

Mikhail considered wether or not to attend. Few reasons could seem to present themselves to attend, so he consulted Hetta.

"It comes down to a matter of taxation. Every time some new law, or measure is passed, it has to be paid for. It matters who get's taxed, and more to the matter, that we not be taxed. This Tower does well, but it has taken nearly twenty years to build up a warchest of one thousand crowns we currently have. A strong tax could erase that in a few years time and leave us in debt."

"It might also be nice to know what a measure means before it is posted on the Oblelisk."

"Hetta, I know I said to help Nayobee, but these apprentices and what they do are the responsibility of the Tower." He pinches his nose, "Make sure that they are discrete, Nayobee is ... relentless, and she may not respect the law."

He looks over the parlimentary notice again. "I suppose I should go huh?" She nodded. "Horrid. Simply horrid. Fine, send me to my doom. Death by beureaucracy!" He rolled his eyes and found Hetta stiffling an amused laugh. "We will need to dicuss the fiscal state of this tower. There is means enough for us to generate our own income and thus lighten the need of donations from the nobility. Not that we will stop taking them, merely that we should be more, what's the word, proactive."

Originally Posted By: Mikhail Petrovich
"Hetta, I know I said to help Nayobee, but these apprentices and what they do are the responsibility of the Tower." He pinches his nose, "Make sure that they are discrete, Nayobee is ... relentless, and she may not respect the law."

"I shall do my best to compy, Master Magister, but I must confess I am unsure what their plan seems to be. They are looking for a friend who she will not name. Apprentice Brandt says he has an idea how to find him. I shall inquire to what that plan is. Thaddeus is along with them because he knows the city so well ... and he's not a criminal."

He looks away and down at that last statement.

Originally Posted By: Mikhail Petrovich
He looks over the parlimentary notice again. "I suppose I should go huh?" She nodded. "Horrid. Simply horrid. Fine, send me to my doom. Death by beureaucracy!" He rolled his eyes and found Hetta stiffling an amused laugh. "We will need to dicuss the fiscal state of this tower. There is means enough for us to generate our own income and thus lighten the need of donations from the nobility. Not that we will stop taking them, merely that we should be more, what's the word, proactive."

"You can't send me," she jokes. "No one respects me. If you send Faust, all you will get is copeous notes, but no opinion, and Thaddeus is busy sneaking around the city. That leaves you sir. You are after all, fourth on the list."

In a more serious tone, she adds,
"I can attempt to market our services to the wealthy. I too am knowledgeable of the Forest Lore and can make things grow. I suggest we work our magic on the gardens of our patrons first, to bring the flowers into summertime bloom. When others see this, and they shall, they will come knocking on our door ... but what shall we charge? Is twenty Karls too much?"

Archived