Buying new RPG:s... give me your vote/opinions!

Argent_

Hello, people.

I thought I´d steal a moment of your time and a fragment of your mind here; look upon it as exercising your power over another being, Ghost in the Shell-style, over the digital medium of the Web if it feels better.

I´m just about to pick up another salary, and this month I´ll be fairly loaded. I have decided, of course, to do the honorable thing... spend loads of money on comics and new RPG:s.

I have given this much thought, and since you´re a very opinionated bunch I thought I´d ask your, er, opinion on this delicate matter. I have prepared a list of the games that I have considered buying, along with some thoughts on the matter; feel free to share your views, and add other candidates if you feel that you have treasures to share. You might influence the future of your favourite game, after all.

Here goes...

* Exalted : Seems to manage their epic sort-of-manga:esque epic fantasy fairly well, with a lot of nifty tricks and sweeping, widescreen stories.I´m a fan of the Storyteller system, and this seems to be a gem. I´m also slightly biased towards games with a high power level lately; all of those hours playing with realistic combat systems has taken their toll, I guess.

* Fading Suns 2nd ed : The first edition blew me away, and the FS is my favourite game world of all times; high on the atmosphere, ripe with possibilities. Plus, the second edition rules book is a lovely hardcover. What´s not to like?

* Unknown Armies : Let´s see... adult horror with metaphysical aspects? Psychodrama about the perceptions and permutations of the fabric of reality? Yummy. I´ve been itching for something different, adult and well-written; this seems to be it. (Hey, I was one of those who adored Over the Edge.)

* Adventure! : Speaking of epic stories... I´ve also got an inherent fondness for the pulp stories of old; Doc Savage, The Shadow, The Spider... mmm. Indiana Jones, awakened mummies, dogfights and zeppelins and LOTS of weird science. Add the Storyteller system and I´m game. Or so I think.

* The last Exodus : I got wind of this from the homepage of Synister Creative Systems, and the teaser Pdf only served to whet my appetite. It seems original, adult and well-written, but I´ve got a feeling that if I buy it, it´ll be more to read it than to actually get people to play.

Your opinions, people?

-Respectfully,

Argent

Adventure, definitely.

Or Exalted.

Or better yet, both.

Adventure is just beautiful.

Exalted has the whole Anime/John Woo/High Adventure feel to it, and is really well done (provided you don't mind a lot of typoes). The setting for Exalted produces mixed reactions, but I like it.

As for comics...I have a question:

Does anyone know when the next issue of Planetary will be out ? confused

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: Stheno ]

I know it's not on your list, but I would recommend a game called The Everlasting by Visionary Entertainment Studios Inc.

If you like WW's World of Darkness, then I think you will LOVE The Everlasting. It is a mix of Myth, Magic and Modern Gothic Fantasy all rapped up in a pretty package.

You play an immortal belonging to one of the 13 Gentes (Races) of immortals. They range from Vampires and other forms of Unliving, to immortal Questers, Elves, Dragons, and Angels.

There are 4 fountadion books, each one dealing with one aspect of "The Secret World" (Their term for the unseen world of the supernatural). The Book of the Unliving, The book of the Light, and The Book of the Spirits are already out but I'm still waiting for The Book of the Fantastic.

Each of the Foundation Books contains all the rules and can stand alone, so it's not like you have to have all 4 to actually use the game. As a side note, the game was written/created by Steven Brown, the guy who wrote one of the Sabbat books and The Black Hand for White Wolf.

So come on, Check it out!

Archived