World of Darkness: Attrition - Bearer of Bad News

z-Amber Wren

March 4, 2009

Amber was in a better mood than she had been last time she'd gotten a call from her cousin. I guess Sarah's back from home, she thought, of mixed feelings about that.

She shrugged them off and flipped open her phone. They were meeting on neutral ground, so Amber just texted a quick "I AM HERE" message. Then all she could do was wait.

Finding neutral ground hadn't been the easiest thing; Holmby Park was Sarah's, and everything around it was the territory of Amber's pack. The Topangas held the high hills northwest of the city, and pretty much anything south was bound to belong to someone. As a result, the meeting place was a wooded area up North Beverly Glen Boulevard, as it climbed toward the serpentine landmark called Mulholland Drive.

Sarah hadn't arrived as a wolf this time; she simply swept in on slate-grey wings, circling once to be sure that it was Amber down there among the trees before landing on a low branch and shifting up into the familiar form of her erstwhile cousin.

"Sorry I'm late," the vampire said, hopping down from her perch to face the werewolf. "Had to take care of something real quick." Amber waited in stony silence, obviously not wanting small talk. Sarah was usually of the same mind, but wasn't exactly eager to jump into what needed to be said.

"Um, things back home are bad. They got hit really hard by Hunters, with helicopters and shit. And before you ask, I don't know if your folks are OK, or mine either; didn't exactly get to stay long enough to check. Grandma made sure of that. But the pyre was huge."

Amber ignored the hunger in her gut when she saw her cousin set down on the ground; she was almost getting used to it now. And it was forgotten with Sarah's news.

"What?" Amber asked, sitting up. "What did ya say?" Sarah repeated herself, and the Uratha nodded. "Did you at least get another phone number for me to use?"

Click to reveal..

Sarah shook her head. "I don't think they have a working phone up there anymore, Amber. I don't think they have a working anything up there. And to be honest, Grandma Wren shut me down pretty fuckin' quick. Gave me long enough to say why I'd come, let me tell 'em that you're here, that you're a full-moon an' in a pack, then chased me the fuck out. Told me to never come back. Told me" - she swallowed hard before continuing - "what you told me: that I'm not family anymore and never will be again."

The Dead Wolf pulled herself back together a bit. "So I couldn't get much info other than what cousin Willie told me on the walk in, about Hunters with high-powered rifles and silver shot, and the choppers. Said the attackers numbered in the hundreds. Didn't tell me how it ended, but I got the feeling that the only ones on our side who came out alive must have gone to ground."

She let out a sad little smile. "But I'm not a complete idiot. You know the little store in Peru, the one where the owner would always give us a sorta nod when we'd come in?" Sarah dug out a scrap of paper from a pocket, handing it to the Rahu. "This is the payphone there. They'll answer if someone calls. And they can pass a message along when one of the family comes to town for supplies." The smile fell away as she said, "An' they'll need supplies to rebuild."

Amber stood there for a long moment, her attention turned inward. She probably looked to the vampire like she was considering a Garou-shaped smackdown, but in reality, she was remembering.

Long summers running through the woods, up and down paths in the mountains, chasing wildlife, cousins and imaginary enemies.

Falls finding the deep hollows and piling them deep with leaves, then jumping into them to the neck.

Cold winters playing in the snow, making forts and throwing snowballs.

Springs spent trying to spot the first flower to bring to Grandmother...

Amber just took the paper and turned, walking away.

Archived