D&D Review question

The Ranger

I have two items I am thinking about buying and I am curious are they any good. Has anyone played/read/DMed either "Return to the temple of elemental evil" (WOTC) or "Dungeon of Graves" (Necromancer Games/SSS)? I would appreciate a basic review if you have. I am looking for a good, long-term Dungeon crawl. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Correction:

It's a great module if you're fond of Dungeon Crawls. Speaking of someone who was utterly sick to the teeth of them before we even started... it drove me loopy.

No reflection on Ranger as a GM, by the way. More a matter of how the games our group has been playing have been going.

And whatever you do, don't play with characters you're attached to. For some reason Sword and Sorcery seem to have a rather liberal interpretation of the concept of "Challenge Rating"...

Actually, I think the dungeon is intended for a group of 6-8 players not 4. The only session we made it through without character death was the one with 7 players. By all means play using your favourite characters but make sure they are really paranoid, this is a dungeon crawl that can brutalise the unwary. Not giving anything away but there is usually one creature on each level that can brutalise the entire party regardless of level.

Tactical retreats are a good idea, clever spell use is very important as is a good mix of classes. Recommended for the group would be 1 cleric, 1 Paladin, 1 thief and 1 mage/sorcerer. If you have more players add in these classes in this order 1 extra paladin, 1 extra cleric, 1 extra mage/sorcerer and 1 fighter.

The module kinda assumes that nobody in the party is evil so one evil PC can really clean up on occasion. It is a dungeon crawl and anyone looking for this will love it...plus its part one of three so you can continue delving as you reach higher levels. If you don't like dungeon crawls then don't play/run the game.

Archived