Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): In the Shadows of the City - [Fic] Accepting Destiny [Complete]

z-Skye

The lilting flute filled the air, and Skye waited for her cue, her stomach churning in knots. The entire student body of Kiyamori Academy - along with as many parents and friends could be seated - was out there, watching, waiting for her to fail. The German girl tried to banish that from her mind, tried to find her center. I think Jim is out there. I wonder if Kanai is. He'd like to mock me, I'm sure. The thought of that reprobate slouched in a chair in the audience brought a scowl to her face and caused her blood to rise to her cheeks under her white face paint.

But Henry said he'd be here, and Skye took a deep breath. For him, she'd succeed.

The flute gave a sudden three-tone trill, and Skye braced herself. On the next downsweep of the flute, she shuffled out on stage, doing her best attempt at the particular shuffle that Japan expected from its dancers.

The Annual Performance was a big deal at Kiyamori, and Skye had volunteered, sure that it was one of the bigger events of the school year. And it was; it had been more work than she'd anticipated. But that was because she'd been tapped to actually be on stage; she'd expected to help as a stage hand, not a performer. Still, they'd asked her, and she'd accepted, privately flattered.

Later, she'd found out it was because this role was the part of the ghost, and her pale hair and small, thin form had won her the part. Still, she'd done her best at it. She just hoped it was enough.

To the audience, she flowed through the exacting forms well enough, the parasol moving in graceful sweeps around her. At the right moment, a small fan kicked up a shower of white paper, meant to represent cherry blossoms. The wind caught her hair and blew it back, and for a moment, she was the part.

Then reality crashed back and that moment was gone. But it had been enough for one man in the audience.

The flute sang its last note, and Skye froze in the final position, waiting for the music to fade. Relief flowed through her; it was over. An appalause rang out, and she bowed in reply. Then she cleared the stage for the next dancer.

"You were great!" Suki whispered, holding out a water for her to drink. Misato was holding out some Yum-Yums for her, in case she wanted food.

"Thank you," she whispered, taking a Yum-Yum and the water. It was more nerves than exhertion that had dried her throat and she drank the whole bottle.

Well before the final curtain call, she was regretting drinking the whole bottle. "Hold this," she whispered to Suki, handing her the white parasol. "I need to excuse myself."

Suki took it and Skye escaped, hurrying through the backstage out into the school hall. At this time of night, it was empty. Lifting the edge of her kimono and making sure she wasn't trailing the long sleeves on the floor, she scurried down the hall, not wanting to dawdle. She'd never admit it, but she was also a little nervous being alone in the school at night.

"Ms. Fell! Please, a moment of your time!"

The voice brought her around with a gasp. Feeling alone and exposed, she stared wide-eyed at the man who was standing in the hallway. He was older and stooped, but he had a kind face. Skye felt herself relax a little, sure that this man wasn't the type to harm her. "Hello, sir," she said, bowing to him, hoping to finish so that she could pee.

"I just wanted to say that your performance up there reminded me of my own granddaughter," he said, his gaze going a bit distant.

Skye's eyes cut over toward the bathroom, the door of which she could easily see.

"She loves to dance as well, but she lives in another town," he continued, his eyes taking on a fifty-meter glaze. "I almost never see her."

Skye's knees welded themselves together.

"But you brought her back to me tonight," the old man said, smiling and nodding. "So lovely."

The tiniest of whimpers escaped Skye's lips.

"So I wanted to give you this," he said, handing her a wrapped item.

Skye knew she should protest it, but to be honest, she barely had the faculty to bow and murmur a hasty thank you as she took the package. With another bow, she hurried to the bathrooms and availed herself of their luxuries.

She kept the package with her, but didn't get a chance to open it until much later.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

In the morning, when she opened her eyes, she saw the unopened gift. She stared at it, trying to remember where it had come from, before recalling the old man. Yawning, she sat up and pulled the package onto her lap. With a sleepy smile on her face, she peeled back the wrapping and laid the gift bare.

Two large fans lay nestled on the paper, and Skye felt her eyebrows rise. What odd gifts-

All thoughts fled from her head when her fingertips brushed the fans. There was a pulse of something. What in the world? Skye wondered.

She didn't have time to think about it. Her mother called her to breakfast, and then she had to get ready for and go to school. Weapons weren't allowed on campus, but Skye instinctively tucked them in her bag. It was the first time she'd ever broken the rules, but she couldn't leave them behind. They called to her, and she accepted that call.

That acceptance sealed her fate.

Archived