World of Darkness: Attrition - Extended Hands

z-Amber Wren

January 18, 2009, 10:00 a.m.

Amber swung open her door and waved the man on the other side in. "Come in," she added unnecessarily. The place was small but clean, more of a glorified studio apartment than anything normally associated with the word 'apartment.' There was a table and two chairs and a love seat in front of a dusty television. Half-hidden in a back alcove was a bed.

The kitchen looked more loved. Pots and pans had been hung from hooks on the wall, and a bit of extra shelving held the various tools of the chef. The chef in this case was Amber's wolf-blooded boyfriend, Antoine. But Moss didn't know that.

"I know it's not much, but you're welcome to sleep here. The loveseat is comfie if you're in wolf-form," Amber said as the other Uratha scanned the room. "Just lemme know how long you'd wanna stay."

Moss looked like shit. Hair greasey and lank, clothes dirty and smelled slightly and almost 3 weeks of stubble was just about a beard now. Over one shoulder was a pair of saddle bags with a scattering of plaster dust on them and a crash helmet bag, totally out of place with the rest of his current appearance.

"Sorry about the state I'm in, but as I said on the chat I've been lying low on the street since New Years day. First thing that went was the bike, so I haven't had much use for this of late." He commented as he placed the crash helmet back carefully on the floor.

"As for staying here, I appreciate the offer, but lets see if your happy with my work first, speaking of which I don't suppose I could get cleaned up a bit before we start on the mornings proceedings?"

"Don't sweat the quality of your work. You're extended family, you get to crash here." Amber led him around the corner to a small bathroom. "I'm afraid all my soap is kinda girly and stuff," she half-apologized. "You'll smell nice, though."

While he cleaned, she cooked him a quick meal. Though it was in reality following the instructions Antoine had left for her. Amber hummed happily to herself as she used the materials her boyfriend had left for her. Her life, she had to admit, was looking better. Even with the looming issue of working for a fucking vampire.

"Soap is soap, and if you rinse it well enough the smell will be a minor issue. Hell, it will be better than most the things I've been smelling over the last couple of weeks."

Moss got on with washing himself down as quickly and efficiently as he had had to learn to in the children's homes he had grew up in. Before Amber had finished cooking he was done and changed back into his more normal t-shirt, bike leathers and boots, but still with the rough wooden ring on a leather thong around his neck and small bag over his shoulder.

Emerging from the bathroom he stuck his head into the kitchen area.

"Smells good. It's a nice place you got here, I can see why you didn't want to lose it. Have you had any luck sorting that out, I'd be happy to help if you need any?"

"On a different note, have you heard from Ariel or Sarah since New Year? I know they got away, I just wondered if they had found out anything about who took a shot at Sarah? I managed to get a bit of info about a Hummer that took off about then, which Ariel might be able to make use of, but I guess they may have dumped it or altered it by now."

"Actually, yeah, I'll be working for the new owner to make the rent," Amber said. She gestured with her head over toward a nice outfit hanging on a hanger. "That's why I need you to Dedicate that for me, so that I can wear it to work."

As he spoke of Ariel and Sarah, she tensed. "I have heard from Ariel," Amber said, snapping off the burner and grabbing some bowls. "Sarah doesn't talk to me, not unless she had to, which is fine by me. I've seen her in chat, so she's probably fine. She's at least got enough fingers to type with." She set a bowl of gumbo in front of Moss. "Eat."

Moss might not be too familiar with the ways of werewolves, only having changed about 6 months ago, but he did know when he should keep his mouth shut. So that's what he did, well apart from filling it with the food.

"Good gumbo. So you want the suit Dedicated, that shouldn't be a problem. I'll finish this and then we can get on"

Quickly finishing the contents of his bowl Moss sat back in the chair and looked across at his host.

"Do you mean other Dedications, or other Rites in general? Cause I gotta tell you few of us can take many Dedications, most can only take a couple, maybe 3 or 4 at most from what I hear."

Amber nodded. "A bit of both actually. I have some Renown to recount to the spirits, and then I'll need the branding," Amber said, feeling her stomach twist with excitement at the words. She maybe never wanted to be a werewolf, but as a child, she'd loved to hear her family recount their earning of renown. Just the thought of it brought up memories of long summer nights, sitting around a fire, listening to stories. It'd been like when the Cahaliths told stories, but there was something special about hearing a scarred Full-Moon stand up and tell where the scars had come from.

"That ok for you?" she asked, pushing the memories away for now.

Moss idly wondered what her tales might be, but internally shook himself off that line of thought to reply, after all he'd hear soon enough when he did the Rite.

"Yeah, no problem."

Pushing away from the table he stood as he said, "Well I suppose we better get going with the Dedication, I don't want to hold you up from your work. Lets clear the table and lay your suit out on it as a working area."

So saying he grabs the bowls and takes them over to the kitchen area, leaving Amber to put away the other odds and ends on the table.

Amber cleaned it up, then turned and pulled the suit down. She had broken into her rent fund to get it, since Theodore had required her to dress professionally. Never mind that she was a bodyguard and prone to run into stains such as blood. But Amber had heard that employers sometimes required asinine clothing choices.

It was weird to think she had a job.

"Here we go," she said, laying the suit out and standing back.

"Ok, it's fairly simple, and shouldn't take too long to do, but I'm going to need some of your blood. It gets smeared over the suit, but don't panic, it gets absorbed into the suits being at the end of the Rite to form the suits bond with you."

Grabbing a clean bowl from the kitchen Moss shifted up to Dalu

[spoliler]

Shifting roll

1d10=5, 1d10=7, 1d10=9, 1d10=4, 1d10=7, 1d10=6, 1d10=6 3sux

Using a clawed finger he draws blood from Amber's palm into the bowl then turns and starts the Rite over the suit. After a brief intro in First Tongue he begins smearing her blood into the suit with circular motions while he continues the chant.

Click to reveal..

Rite of Dedication, extended rolls, 1 roll per action, need to accumulate 10 successes.

Harmony = 7 dice

1d10=5, 1d10=4, 1d10=5, 1d10=9, 1d10=8, 1d10=5, 1d10=1 Turn 1 = 2 sux

1d10=7, 1d10=2, 1d10=8, 1d10=7, 1d10=5, 1d10=9, 1d10=5 Turn 2 = 4sux

1d10=10, 1d10=5, 1d10=9, 1d10=5, 1d10=10, 1d10=9, 1d10=1

1d10=6, 1d10=8 Turn 3 = 5 sux

3 Turns to get 11sux

After a sort peroid Amber sees the blood fade away into the suit and Moss quickly finishes and turns grinning to her as he shifts back to human form.

"There you go, no problem. I'll just get these cleaned up."

He heads back to the kitchen to do the washing up.

Amber nodded and touched the clothing, feeling the lack of dried blood. She loved seeing the magic of her people performed. Carefully, she put the suit away. She'd never had anything so nice, and she tried to treat it well.

"Thank you," she said, turning to watch Moss finish up. "You don't have to do that. I can clean up."

"Sorry, no can do. If I'm going to crash here then you'll have to live with me doing the tidying up. I won't offer to cook 'cos I've no particular talent that way, but I can certainly do the washing up and push a broom around a place as small as this."

He turns back to the sink, "You get on to work or whatever, I'll finish this up and trawl the net for a while. I'm meeting some people this evening and I need to make sure I know where to find the place."

"Yeah, how about a key to get back in if you're out when I get back tonight? I know you'll have commitments both work and around the place so you may not be here. Actually if you need a hand with anything while I'm still looking for a job and a place don't hesitate to ask."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived