Aberrant: The Middle Children of History - Christmas party

Exile

Ayato yawned as he rose from his bed in the cabin outside of Denver. “God it feels good to sleep in a real bed again.” He had elected to stay at the Cabin as opposed to the mansion with his mother and aunt. He had to maintain some small semblance of not being at Her beck and call.

He’d received his invitation to the annual Christmas Gala as he always had, and elected to wear the Black and red tux he’d picked up a few months back. It was a night of pomp and circumstance for the company, where Everyone from the Main office and any employees from other branches were allowed to attend regardless of tenure and position.

He came mostly because he was theCo- Owner and CEO’s Son. However it did have some perks. It made him highly in demand for trhe evening and he never lacked for a beautiful dance partner. Of course he did dance to one song with both his Mother and another with his aunt, but the rest were for him to choose his partner.

He got up and showered and got dressed. He still had about ten minutes. He smiled and focused on the roof of the tower. He reappeared there shortly afterwards and made his way to the main entrance. The doorman let him in without the customary flash of an invitation, everyone knew who he was.

He made his way through the ballroom and greeted those he needed too. Standing at the center of it all was his mother and her sister.

Rianna and Elizabeth Connelly were identical nova twins who couldn’t have more different power sets. Rianna controlled gravity and magnetism and could make her body into a form of biometal. She was incredibly attractive and intelligent and an excellent businesswoman. Elizabeth was a physical prodigy and could even convey those benefits onto others. She was even more attractive than Rianna and was an actress by trade.

They both smiled and greeted him, glad to see him back in the states, that he could take time away from his personal quest to spend Christmas with family. “You know me, I’m never really that far from anywhere. “ He made smalltalk with them for awhile and even danced once with each of them as he always had. He was then free to mingle, and so he did, Dancing with a pair of baselines who did their best to keep pace with him.

Finally he found who he was looking for, after an hour of effectively killing time. “Hazuki Mishima.”

A Tall and extremely attractive blonde turned from her conversation and looked back towards him. “I see the prodigal son has indeed returned.” She quickly made her way over to him and hugged him around the neck. “How’ve you been Ace?”

Hazuki Misihima was the eldest of two second generation nova children born to Hikaru Mishima, one of Connelly Securities’ top researchers. She bore Japanese name, but looked much more like her American Father. She was taller than her mother, who stood only at about five feet tall, an extremely attractive. She was currently studying Art at the University of Colorado. It was her dream to become a world famous actress and singer. She had plenty of talent, indeed she’d won competitions for her singing and was always being hounded by suitors and several magazines to become a model for them. Elizabeth had already said she would provide the nescessary connections to get her foot in the door, but Before she could do any of that however, her mother had imposed the stipulation that she first earn a college Degree. Unfortunately, while she was intelligent by baseline standards, she was not gifted with nova-level intelligence like Ayato and her younger sister Minazuki.

“I’ve been better, though now that I have a real dance partner, my night is looking infinitely better.”

She looked at him and arched an eyebrow. “Who said I was going to dance with you? I have many after my dances tonight.”

He smiled back. “True Enough Hazzie, but only I can hope to keep up with you.” He offered his hand to her and gave her his most winning smile.

She thought for a moment and shrugged, taking his hand and allowing him to lead her to the floor. “I really hate that nickname you know Ayato.”

"I know, I'm the same way with all the other ones I have." He smiles and the sng ends. "You still owe Mina a dance too you know."

"Yeah, I'll go do that. See if you can go get a good song for us."

She looks at him. "I know just the one."

He sighed slightly. Mina was short for Minazuki, Hazuki's sixteen year old younger sister. She was effectively the opposite of Hazuki. She was fairly plain-looking, but was possessed of remarkable Intelligence. She could control computers in much the same manner as Sage could, manipulate Electricity to a small degree.

She had long red hair, and currently stood against the wall watching as her sister danced with Exile. It wasn't a very well kept secret that she had a crush on Ayato, she knew she wasn't a match for Hazuki, but she wished Ayato would at least ackowledge her at times.

Something strange happened next. Ayato and Hazuki parted. She made her way towards the stage and the band, and He got lost in the crowd. She seemed to be talking to the conductor, and they began playing "Jingle Bell Rock."

She watches the couples dance and sighs. "Affraid to go out there and dance Mina?"

She looks back to see Ayato standing over her, looking impressive in his tux. Her own white gown was conservative, reflecting her approach to life.

"No, I just can't compete with Hazuki when she's on the floor. Everyone adores her. How can I comete with her?"

Ayato lays a hand on her shoulder. "In the ways you best can. You're smart, successful, and fun to hang out with. You can do amazing things Hazuki can'd do Mina. You both have areas where you shine brightly."

"Why are you doing this Ayato? You prefer Hazuki to me. It's obvious, even to me. You two are simply better together." There's no small amount of pain in her voice.

"Mina, I do this because I want to do this. Because I want to dance with you."

That brought her head around. He looked at her, without any subterfuge, showing he did indeed want to dance.

"Okay Ayato."

Archived