Aberrant: The Middle Children of History - A mother's love

The familiar tonal buzz of the opening warp alerted Netherworld to the arrival of his only family. His mother. Her hardened polished stone-like skin moved gracefully as she moved towards him. The woman, known as Statuesque, always did the same thing when she saw her boy. She stood him up in front of her and examined his body. When he was a child it was comforting. Now it felt invasive.

Since he left his mother's over-caring embrace, he felt calm and relaxed. It was not that he didn't love his mom, it was her extreme protectiveness and doting that annoyed him. Still, it was important that he do what he can to allay her fears.

"I'm fine. Really" He sighed as his mother ran her hands up and down his arms as she checked for anything that might look like an injury.

"There are people out there who want to see you harm. And I am here to make sure of it." She quipped as her eyes carefully scrutinized every blemish in his alabaster skin. "Need I remind you Ali, that they killed your father and they will come for you too."

As she went on about his dad's killing, he stood there and stared at her. It was a recurring spectacle, that over time led him to wonder if it was lack of sleep. He questioned if she forswore sleep by choice, or whether she just never did. Yet, in fact, growing up he could not recall one instance where she slept. When he was a child, he understood little of these things. Of course, as he grew to adulthood, he began to see that his mom was not just worried about him, but she really did suffer from some sort of paranoia. He wondered if it was part of her nature or some sort of quantum backlash.

"I am more than capable of taking care of myself. Mother." The tone of his voice was almost derisive in nature, as she made him feel like he was 5 years old. He suspected that most parents had that effect on their kids.

"Don't say such a thing!" She barked. "You have no idea of the dangers out there." Her eyes opened wide as she began listing every horror possible in the world. She then began to relate the latest threats to her and her child.

"I saw them outside my compound just last night." She whispered, as if there were people listening in on them. "They were skulking in the bushes with binoculars. Some of them even had weapons." She began to shift her gaze past Netherworld and scan the surroundings of his gallery. "They could be outside there right now, just waiting for me to leave. Then they will take you from me." Her voice began to rise as her emotional level rose.

Netherworld put his hands to his face and shook his head imperceptably. His mom really was crazy.

As she went on about imaginary teams of assasins, he could do little but listen.

"Are you finished inspecting my studio and the street outside?" Netherworld asked in exasperation. "You are going to draw a crowd walking around outside." She had been at it for three hours, and he wished she would stop.

"That's exactly what I want my little Ali." She smiled back, as her eyes glinted fervently. "If I can draw them out into the open, I can take care of them."

"My name is Netherworld. It's not Ali anymore." Netherworld felt that his childhood name should remain Alabaster. He also disliked it when his mom used the shortened monniker 'Ali'. Sadly, she never listened to him. "Besides, you accosted that old man outside and accused him of being an assasin."

"You will always be my little Alabaster." She said with a motherly smile. "And...that was not an old man outside. He had a weapon in his hand."

"That was a baguette. Not a weapon," he responded. "You turned that poor man's lunch into crumbs and left it in the gutter." He could not count the number of times an alarmed citizen had called the authorities over a raving Nova accosting the neighbors. If this kept up, he would have to live in a small cottage in the woods rather than in a studio in Paris. If not for his safety, but for hers.

"Sometimes you amaze me, Ali. There is so much danger to you out there and you are so innocent about it. If only the world was the way you see it." She moved to give him a hug; a motherly smile once again on her face. "That is why I am here, to make sure no harm comes to you."

He returned her embrace, a smile on his face as well. She was his mother afterall, and even if a bit paranoid, he did love her. As they separated he gave her a quick kiss on each cheek. "Will you be here next week?" he asked her as she also kissed his cheeks.

"Of course Ali. I would never forgive myself if something happened to you." She turned away from him and opened a warp to where he grew up in seclusion.

Archived