Aberrant: In the Beginning - Smooth Operator(Complete)

Katalyst

April 10, 1998 around 8:45pm

“Whew! What a day!” he says to himself as he finishes his shower. The battle earlier with Juno had been fun, tough and most of all educational. “Man do I got some work to do if I’m going to be a better fighter. A damm kid whooped my ass, but then again that’s only because I ran out of energy, and that was a good lesson to learn.”

He looks around the room picking out some suitable clothing for the dinner ‘date’ he had arranged with Fang after he and Juno had finished their fight. He settled for a Black Cashmere Manzoni Sport Coat with matching gray pants. This will work.coat

Fang had seemed rather pleased by his offer and told him that she’d be ready around 9 or so. “Hope she likes the place I got picked out.” The place he referred to was the Artisan, a nice quite and romantic place referred to him by one of the staff. He’d called and made his reservations and was quite surprised that he would be able to get a table for two that night. Jay laid out the whole scene that he wanted set up for their arrival, candle lights, champagne, and of course some cherry blossoms. Those had cost him a pretty penny to get on such short notice, but he had the dough to cover it, and besides it’s not like he couldn’t make more.

His thoughts were interrupted by a call for him. The limo had arrived and was waiting. “Right on time.” Grabbing his coat he heads out to Fang’s room.

Fang had not forgotten their plans. Fang didn't forget anything. But sometimes, she failed to notice how much time she had left. So when the knock came, she was busily typing out her thoughts, conjectures and theories about what she'd seen in Peter's pictures.

Fang paused at the noise, realized what it was and glanced at the time. She gasped and then cursed in Chinese as she bounced to her feet and grabbed the dress she'd selected. Thankfully, she'd already showered and put her hair up. "Just a moment!" she called, getting dressed.

It is a disaster. The dress had been purchased not long after she'd gotten her, and it no longer fit. It was tight in her chest and loose everywhere else. She cursed again and grabbed a scarf. It didn't look great with the dress, but it would cover her chest.

Perfect. A night spent watching my clothing. Just what I wanted to do. She was smiling as she opened the door. "Hello, Jay."

A bright smile cross his face "Hey there Fang. Your looking rather nice this evening. Wow, that's an understatement! Are you ready for a fanatasic dinner? I've made all the arrangements for us and the limo is already here."

After closing the door Jay leads them down to the awaiting limo, where once inside he instructs the driver to take them the Artisan. "I think you'll like my choice of restaurants. I was told it's quite a comfy place for two."

"Good," Fang said with a smile, falling into step next to Jay. She was still uncomfortable about the dress, but none of that was displayed on her face. She could easily hide this discomfort from Jay for the evening.

Downstairs, her eyebrows rose when she saw the car. "It is so big!" she said, surprised. She'd seen a limo or two on television, but not up close. She wondered why Jay would go to this expense for a simple dinner, but she mentally shrugged it off. She was determined to enjoy this, even if her mind kept slipping back to the puzzles Peter had given her.

Settling against the leather cushions, she asked Jay, "What is this restaurant? Have I heard of it?"

Quote:
"What is this restaurant? Have I heard of it?"

No, I don't think you have. Serves a menu of Modern European cuisine is what I'm told. I got a tip from a member of the staff about this place. He said it was top notch, so I went ahead and got us a reservation." he says smoothly Don't get to cocky now Jay, save some for later.

A bit of nervousness shows thru when he speaks again. "I asked you out for two reasons. One was that I wanted to learn how you did that disappearing thing, and the other well that has to wait for dinner" winking his eye at the last part.

Fang was quiet for a moment, her dark eyes shadowed in the night-shrouded car. "I didn't learn it, Jay... when I was trying to flee China, I kept wishing that I could just leave. I believe that at that time, while I was still in flux, my node began to work on a way to that. But I didn't pursue it after I was safe, so it completed itself unnoticed. And then when you scared me, it just happened. That and the next few times I wasn't in control. I can show you how I do it now, and am willing to teach you."

She tilted her head as her face became contemptative. A curious Fang wasn't a good thing, but she didn't push, instead choosing to keep the possibilities she was considering to herself. Jay would tell her his plans when he was ready to tell her.

She just hoped his second reason didn't involve a ring. After all, they'd only known each other for a couple of weeks, and while there were sparks, two weeks was a woefully inadequate amount of time for a courtship.

"Wonderful, I hope that I can made a good student for you" he says with a small laugh. His eyes lower a bit before he continues "Sorry by the way about scaring you, that wasn't to happen quite like that."

He senses that she wants to ask more, but she restrains herself. "Don't worry, my second question isn't something that you need to be worried over. First we enjoy some food, and wine."

"Alright," Fang agreed, vowing to do just that. She was silent for a moment before she asked, "Do you think Ra is really gone?" She hadn't mentioned this to anyone else, but she wanted another opinion. She was worried that he might return, that he might yet have a change of heart, or mind, or whatever.

The thought was more than a little worrisome.

A sour look crosses Jay's face at the mention of Ra. "That's a good question, and one I don't have a good answer for. I seriously hope that he's gone. I'm not sure that we could stop him a second time around." He better not or else were in some big trouble

"Let's not worry about that right now Fang, we owe it to our selves for some time off. The rest of the world might not know how we saved it, but that doesn't mean we can't relax for a change right?"

Fang looked surprised and maybe a little sad. "Jay, I..." She paused and swallowed before meeting his eyes. "I can't. I can't stop thinking about it, for a moment. Which is strange, because I'm also thinking about the research I did this afternoon, and about Peter's artwork. Another part of me is considering chaos theory and fractal mathematics, because I overheard some young men talking about it on the subway today. So I don't think that I can not worry about it.

"And I don't know that I want to stop thinking about it," she added. "You got your abilities. This, my intellect, and my ability to disrupt another's pattern are all that I have. You have no idea how afraid I feel most of the time, how useless. Even when I am doing what I am supposed to be doing, when I am trying to help others, I don't have the ability to get them to listen to what I have."

Fang glanced out the window. "The Greeks have a myth about a woman who knew the future, and knew it truly. Her name was Cassandra. She was cursed - she knew the truth, but she wasn't listened to. No one believed her, and she could do no good with her gift."

Whoa that's not good. I didn't think that she'd be that hung up on this. Reassure her, that everything will be okay. Jay takes a quick breath before he answers. "Fang, I can't say that I know anything about advanced math or even anything about Greek myths. All I know is this." He takes her hands in his, "Your not uselss, and even someone like me who isn't very smart can tell that."

"Yes our abilities are vastly different, but you can do things I can't. I can be one to help you find that voice you need Fang. I want to be their for you when you need it." He voice his close to a whisper as he finishes.

He was right. He wasn't that smart. And he didn't understand, or he choose to not understand. He couldn't see what she was saying, what was plain to her: she wasn't listened to because no one wanted to hear her predictions. It was the Chinese Ministry all over again - her work was ignored until it couldn't be, then was subsumed by another and claimed as their own.

Of course she wasn't useless - she was a New Person. None of them were useless, at all. Each of them had a gift, whether it was beautiful or ugly. It wasn't that she was useless - it was how she felt. But her feelings had nothing to do with reality, and that was what he should have said.

"I... my gifts are very subtle," Fang said, still frowning. "If you wished, I could demonstrate my lack of overt powers very simply. You and so many others have the overt skills that are needed so desperately. That is what I need too, to balance the scales. Something overt. Something that I could use when needed. Something... strong."

Her hands moved under his, her small fingers drawfed by his larger mass. "And to find my voice... Jay, no one would want to hear what I have to say. Humanity... they won't tolerate us. They can't. It isn't in their nature to allow that which they envy to exist among them." She looked at him sharply. "Do you understand what I mean? Unless they all become New People soon, they are going to turn on us, and they are going to try to destroy us. But I won't let that happen. I will..." She paused and drew a deep breath, knowing that his reaction would change everything. "I will make our people safe, by whatever means necessary."

What the hell. She's talking like doomsday is here. I don't get this at all.. His voice sounds grim as he speaks "Fang, I would like to think what you say won't happen. I do concede that there will be those that will look at us a threat, but that should be only a small portion." At least I hope so "But, he adds, If you say that it will then I'll be the first to stand with you."

The limo pulls into the resturant as he is finishing up. "Look tell me some of your plans you got, and I'll fill you in on something that Colin is working on."

The two walk into the resturant, where they are greeted by the hosttess. After confirming their table, they are shown into a the back. Fang can see the candlelights set and lighted. Their is also a bouquet of cherry blossums. Jay looks to Fang to see her reaction to his work.

It was all so beautiful, and thoughtful, and caring. Smiling shyly, Fang thanked Jay for his preparations and joined him at the table. Playing with the blossoms, Fang asked, "So what is our young Jedi planning?" She'd finally found out why everyone had reacted so oddly to his name and appearance. It made sense, but she still didn't like it. It seemed so disrespectful to a member of the new race.

Her smile pleased him greatly. "Glad you like everything, I thought the cherry blossoms would be a nice touch.

"As for Jedi, well he got it in his head to make a Nova only company, with the purpose of us Novus using our talents for the helping out the world, contract work rally. He asked me if I'd help with training those Novus that wanted to learn how to fight. Plus I think that we could use this as a way to keep people from fearing us." He wasn't sure if she was buying this, but he'd told Colin that he try to bring her in as well. "I'm waiting to hear what Pax has to say tomorrow, before I commit myself any further though."

Fang's eyebrow rose as she considered what Jay had told her. Gathering the New People together into a company would ensure that the company would thrive. That wouldn't make the humans feel better. The only thing that would allow humans and New People to live together would be for the New People to deny their greatness.

As she was musing, the waiter came and took their orders; by the time it had left, she had organized her thoughts. "Well, I'd certainly be interested in hearing both proposals," Fang said, smiling. "What is Colin's overarching goal? Do you think he is sincere in his proposal, or does he have another agenda?"

"Is he sincere, yes I believe he is quite sincere." Jays says before taking a sip of champagne. "From what I heard so far, I think he's trying to establish a company that will use us Nova's to try and create a better world. That's my interpretation of it. He'd be better off explaining the whole thing better than I could."

"So you never said what plans you had come up with, care to share your thoughts on those?"

Fang hated lying. But she wasn't sure she could trust Jay yet. Her delicate plans would fall apart if the wrong person found out about them and tattle on her. And while she liked Jay, she didn't know yet if he felt the way she did. And she didn't know if he'd understand her thoughts.

"I think that some kind of organization that would promote goodwill between the new and the old is needed," Fang said, smiling. "Perhaps I should give up my ideas and put my efforts behind Pax or Colin." She sipped her own drink, wrinkling her nose a little at the carbonation. "A unified effort is better than a divided one."

"Yeah maybe so. I wouldn't say that you have to give up your ideas, whatever they are, just maybe see if there's others out there that could work with yours." Why is she not saying what those ideas are? What could she be hiding?

The waiter brings in their meals, and the two take a few moments to enjoy the taste before Jay strikes up the conversation again. "Fang the real reason I asked you here, is let's see how to put this." He ponders for a second then continues. "I have these feelings for you, and I think I've noticed that you have them to." His voice cracks a bit as he asks his question. "I guess what I want to know is what are the chances of me and you being together?"

She liked him. She did. He was kind and sweet, but Fang wasn't sure yet that she could trust him. But the only way to know was to trust him, and then see if he betrayed her. The thought hollowed out her gut and made it hard to breathe, but she wanted to give him that chance.

"We are from very different cultures," Fang said softly. "We are going to have to overcome that, but I would like to try." She looked a little sad. "I wish you could meet my mother. She's... interesting."

Well that went pretty well. I supposed that is a yes on her part. Great! Jay releases s big sigh of relief. "Yes that is true, but if I've learned anything from my time in the Army is that I can adapt to new cultures very quickly."

His smile is big when he speaks again "Your mother huh, that would would be nice. I know it must be hard knowing that to go back home their might be trouble for you and your family" he says sincerely.

"I would be arrested, if they caught me," Fang said softly. "I've been trying to get information about whether my mother is well, but she lives in a small village in an inner provence, and it is hard to get information out of the country right now." Her eyes were sad as she added, "I want to go see if she is fine, but I am afraid that I'll be caught. I really want to bring out of there."

"Hmm, couldn't you teleport there and see her? Or better yet, we could both go there, and I can use my power of invisibility on us. Then you'd be somewhat free to move about." he says thoughtfully.

"I'm fairly certain, that with our powers we could avoid any trouble."

Fang smiled gratefully, but she was shaking her head. "I need to carefully plan any trip I take there," Fang said. "Were I the government, I would be waiting for a nova to come back to rescue her mother. So, I need to plan carefully and wait for the right time." She smiled faintly. "And while I want to get her out, she may not want to go. My mother... well, in her village, she is called a 'Dragon-Lady.' She's a little scary."

Jay tries not to laugh at Fang's mention of her mother. He didn't want to her to get mad at him. "Dragon-Lady, that's doesn't sound to good. I've always been able to get parents to like me, but it sounds like that it would be hard for her to do that with me."

The thought though that her country would use her mother as a pawn to get to her was shocking. Damm things in China are worse than I ever thought. "Well we can work on that together, I'd like to see if her nickname really fits."

The waiter returns, asking on how everything is going. Jay nods and says that everything is fine. Turning his attention back to Fang, "So now that is out of the way, what would you like to do after we finish here?"

He sensed something was wrong, but he couldn't place it. "Yeah, that sounds good. Let me get the check and we can head out." "Jay hails the waiter, who promptly arrives and asks for the check.

About 20 minutes later, Jay and Fang are back in the limo making their way back to the Aeon grounds. He leads her out to garden area, quietly walking with her, waiting for her to speak her mind.

Fang keeps the conversation light while they walk and talk. She tells him a little about her life in China, things she hadn't allowed herself to think about. She found that she missed home, something that she hadn't considered before.

Jay walked her to her door and said good night, leaving her there. With a smile, Fang went to bed, and had a deep, restful sleep.

After wishing Fang goodnight, Jay returns to his room. Alone with his thoughts. He hadn't felt this happy in a long time. Not since his days in Korea for that matter. He knew that to really make things work between him and Fang would take some work, but he was more than willing to make it happen. Smiling to himself he settles down to watch some tv, with pleasant thoughts of a future with him and Fang on his mind.

Archived