Aberrant: 200X - A.M. Cleveland [complete]

Flicker

Eyes Only: Section Bravo;

Classification: routine traffic

Destination: archive file 20080229a;

Subject: #20080229a Nova "Flicker" Madigan

Abstract: The following is an excerpt of the transcript of the WKYC Cleveland morning news program "A.M. Cleveland," March 10, 2008. Subject 20080229a interviewed with local morning news reporters Madison Wong and Brett Hammond and demonstrated nova abilities.

(transcript begins)

Timecode 07:23:30 03/10/2008

Madison Wong: As you have probably heard by now, Cleveland has joined the Nova Age with a nova of our very own.

Brett Hammond: That's right Madison, the city has been abuzz ever since the Emerson High School senior erupted at the Fairview Mall on February 29th. We're very pleased to introduce in her first public appearance: Nova Madigan.

(Camera pulls out to reveal Nova Madigan already seated on-set with the reporters.)

Nova Madigan: Thank you, I'm really excited to be here.

Brett: Thank you for coming.

Madison: Absolutely, the pleasure is all ours. (pause) Nova, what's it been like the past week adjusting to your new-found status as a nova; how have your family and friend and classmates responded?

Nova: (laughs) Well, I haven't been back to school yet, I spent all of last week at the Rashoud, so I don't know about my classmates.

(Brett and Madison laugh.)

Nova: Mom's been absolutely great, though. She's more than my mom to me, she's my best friend too. My friends have been terrific, too. They came after school to see me almost every day.

Brett: At the Rashoud you mean?

(Nova nods)

Brett: What was that like?

Nova: It was really busy, more than anything. There was a constant stream of doctors and nurses and researchers and so on coming into my room all day long, trying to learn more about what makes a nova tick, taking measurements and blood samples and using all kinds of instruments. In-between all of that I had sessions with a nova trainer who helped me to learn to control my ability, and my friends filled up the rest of the time. I guess I really haven't had any time to myself since I erupted.

Madison: We're even more glad you found the time to come here, then. You're returning to school today, is that right?

Nova: That's right, as soon as I finish here, I have to go back to school. The doctors say I'm good to go.

Madison: Like some novas, you have the ability to "dorm," right? That is, to "switch off" your node?

Nova: Yes I do. I'm dormed right now, actually. When I'm powered-up, I have what they call a "quantum expression" which is really, really distracting.

Brett: Right, you flicker, which is where you got your nova handle. I think the people of Cleveland would like to see that.

Madison: If you don't mind, that is.

Nova: Well, okay. You might want to warn anyone with epilepsy not to look.

(Brett and Madison laugh.)

Brett: Okay, viewers: if you're prone to seizures, please look away from your set for a moment.

(Flicker begins blinking in and out of total invisibility in an erratic and rapid pattern.)

Madison: That's amazing to see in person. It must be hard to put on your makeup that way.

Nova: (laughs) I tried that once. Never again.

Brett: Now as a nova, you only have access to your ability to teleport while you're also flickering. Since you're ready to go, could we get a demonstration of that as well?

Nova: I'd be glad to.

(Nova disappears. The camera pans right to show Nova is standing by the stage doors.)

Madison: That must come in handy!

(Nova walks back to her chair and sits.)

Nova: It does. I'm going to go straight from here to school, for example.

Brett: Have you thought about using your nova ability to help make the world a better place?

Nova: I've barely had time to think about anything to be honest. For right now, I need to catch up on my homework!

Madison: First your homework, then the world. Again, thank you Nova for visiting us this morning, and we wish you all the best in your studies and more.

Brett: Thank you so much, you're making the people of Cleveland proud.

Nova: I'll do my best. Thank you so much for having me.

(Camera re-frames shot so that only Brett and Madison are on-screen.)

Brett: After this message, we'll have your AM drive-time weather forecast; and later this hour, Stacey Watson from the Cleveland Animal Shelter with the pet of the week.

(transcript ends)

Archived