Aberrant: Ba'alt - Re: Damage, Armor, and Healing

Narrator

Damage

The maximum damage that any character can take is equal to their resistance attribute (Body, Mind, or Spirit) against a certain type of attack.{Magic hits Spirit, Psionics hit Mind, and Physical hits Body.) Once this number of damage is reached, the character is unconscious. Using Batman as an example, he could take 6 Physicals, 10 from mental attacks, and 10 from magical attacks as his Spirit is 10.

All of the damage is cumulative. That is, if you take 2 Body this round and 2 next round and no regeneration has kicked in, you have suffered 4 wounds. If you take 3 of Body and then 2 of Mind, these are not cumulative on each other; you can be battered of body but still have a strong will. When 0(zero) is reached, you are unconscious. If you get 1 point more negative than your resistance attribute, you are dead. So if you hit Batman for 13 points, he is dead. 6-13= -7. That's one more than his body of 6.

In DC, everyone can choose to use killing combat or bashing combat at will. This means that if your using Bashing, you can never reduce your opponents status to a negative condition. Knockback is always killing as is some energy(fire, high charge electricity, acid, etc) and falling from great heights and such.

Resolution of damage is done by referencing a chart where the strength of the attack is compared to the defense. It's an easy and quick look and if the defense is 3 or more than the offense, its very likely that no result or damage was done.

Armor

Adds its rating to the Body score for physical damage. This effectively makes the player much more resistant to harm, ie, high soak.

Invulnerability

This works differently in that it does not directly add soak or resistance to damage. DC invulnerability renders the character very difficult to kill but not harder to damage. When you have suffered harm from an attack that would normally render you dead (negative AP's of your resistance attribute), a roll is made against your invulnerability.

SO for instance, look at Superman. He has 20 or 22 body and 23 invulnerability. In the fight with someone he gets his body reduced to ?22. He rolls vs. his Invulnerability+Body immediately after falling over with all the trauma and the result says he regains enough body instantly to be back at Body level 21. He makes that typical heroic recovery and open a can of whoop-ass on his opponent. With this invulnerability roll, the average Body score you get refreshed to is about equal to 2-thirds of your invulnerability.

Regeneration

Normal regeneration is done every 10 AP's of time (60 minutes). If you have regeneration of 8, you will regenerate bashing every 2 AP's of time (15 seconds). If you have 12 Regeneration, you get to make a bashing recovery roll 3 times per second; 10 Regeneration would allow 1 check per second. Once you get to Regeneration of 15+ you are able to recover killing (lethal) every second. One need not be conscious to use this power.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Smite asked;

Sorry to keep bothering with Questions

Does our armor protect from energy (as it does in abberant, or is it just direct physical attacks)?

How are the extras (Armor Piercing & Impervious just to name a few) going to be handled?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Smite, this is what this area is for, Questions. Keep em' coming.

Armor DOES protect from energy as well, just like Aberrant. Like I said, I am not changing the core definitions of rules.

Extra's are handled much in the same way they were in Abby. To site your examples, AP would add some AP's likely equal to you body to your armor in effect negating the effects of the AP. Impervious would work exactly as it does in Aberrant; Dc has some maneuvars in its armory that allow for what is called "deadly" effects. Invulnerability would negate that and do what it normally does with lethal damage.

I am still including Lethal and bashing one is killing one is not. So this makes the enhancements as useful as they ever were.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Chronos asked;

How would Aggravated Attacks work?

Would they just ignore Armor?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aggrevated attacks are difficult and I want to congratulate you on finding the flaw in my armor. hehe

When we play tested it in one sitting, we thought that perhaps with aggrevated attack we do several things. first was to automatically make it 'killing.' The second thing was to increase its intensity, that is if it was a level 10 Q-bolt with aggrevated extra, we would increase the total level up to 15 or 150%.

The thought was to make it a really heinous attack, as it is, that many feared. We did not want it to ignore armor altogether but perhaps divide the level of the armor in half.

So end result was for aggrevated like this; add 150% tot he attack level, make it killing, and divide the defenders armor by 2.

DC has some example of this using UltraEnergy attacks which by their definition was aggrevated. They included radiation, acid and disintegration in this "UltraEnergy" category.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Chronos asked;

Then what does Armor Piercing do?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->AP, well in aberrant its every success reduces the soak by 2 right? SO, in DC system it woul subtract AP's based on the roll. If you needed to roll an 11 or above say and you rolled 14, you could reduce the AP of the armor by 6 AP's.

Its not etched into stone yet because this particular power is one I had yet to etch. But seeing that even a single AP point rediction is great; having 2 AP's lost per 'success' is an awesome effect.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Chronos said;

Would that be reducing armor, or would that be reducing armor and invulnerability, and what would be the difference?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

we would apply it te same way as aberrant.. Dc has armor and Invuln as does Aberrant. Does AP in Aberrant reduce invuln or just armor..? my book is out of reach right now..

Armor works to stop or reduce the damage cause immediately; Invulnerability acts to absorb or shrug off the damage entirely.

DC, or MEGS as I will call it (Mayfairs Exponential Gaming System) allows AP to do certain things. One, it adds 2 to the EV(effect value) of the attack. So, if Amigon's Q-bolt was normally rated at 12AP, as soon as he got AP, it would raise the 12 to 14. (I figured this all into the existing characters already).

The next thing it does as add 2 to final damage done.

Against Invulnerability:Aberrant, which is different from MEGS in that Aberrant uses at as actual soak, or armor. MEGS uses invulnerability as more of a natural body resistance to harm. (I know it sound like armor, but let me say this: DC INVULN works like this...you get hit with an AP 12 attack and your Body is 6 and you have INVULN 12. The end roll says you take 12 points of damage which means you should be slag. DC INVULN would allow for an immediate roll when you are reduced to damage that should drop you. This roll is based on your INVULN and your BODY. So in this instance it would be easy for the Body 6/Invuln 12 person to take that hit then the INVULN roll would net him an instant gain of BODY back up to 4 or 5 again.)

So, again, against Invulnerability:Aberrant I am treating AP just like armor in that it adds to the strength and adds damage.

This sound fair? it is more or less how Abby does it.

Oh, and the other decision was to move ahead with DC and use it here. You all wont really notice the change but I do hope you all take a few minutes ot read the pdf's I posted in the Mechanics discussion. wink.gif

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Smite said;

Yep, and I read over it. It seems straight forward.

Three more questions (Extras are like that)

Impervious? (Counters Aggravated and Armor Piercing right?)

Mastery? (Double damage?)

And does Quantum have an mechanical effect or is it a power ceiling?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Impervious: yes indeed, it does negate AP and aggrevated. It will simply treat any attack with that extra as a normal attack.

Mastery: With the way DC looks at power ranks, Mastery took a shot in the arm. In other words it got a boost when being converted. It is in favor of the players in the conversion however. I am thankful that noone had mastery 2 or 3 however.shock.gif

Quantum: It is used as a potential rating more than anything mechanical. It might be used as a quick contest if ever 2 people are trying to do exact opposite things and have same ranks at everything else...

Archived