Aberrant: Ba'alt - Re: Core Mechanics

Narrator

Here is the <a href="http://aberrantprime.com/new__mechanics.htm" target="_blank">link</a> to a pdf of the new mechanics I would like to adopt. Forgive me, I made the pdf myself and the alignment might be a tad off but it is legible.

Also, there are quite a few new terms therein to get familiar with (AV/OV, EV, OR, etc) so please be patient; it really is a good system once you give it a try. It is just like many quality systems that are backed by a disinterested company and let it go to the wayside.

I will be posting further details on AP benchmarks and power soon as well. Thanks for your patience.

This system is really simple when you take a character out and actually do a little pretend skill rolls and such. The examples in the book are rather complex if you just scan over them but do make a lot of sense. I would really like to go 100% to this format eventually but I know it will take some time for all to be assimilated.

It s interesting converting other systems over to it; I looked over some online discussions about converting StarWars over and by all appearances, SW gaming is really overpowered. Meaning, Jedi powers and just the conversion of weaponry and such to DC translate to be very powerful. I have read mixed discussions about it, but most say that SW itself is a high power game when it comes to Jedi. I guess we'll see. :smartass:

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#0000ff--><span style="color:#0000ff"><!--/coloro-->FYI.....

I have been running the games here in MEGS(DC) since I first started talking about this. DOing my own wee playtesting as we go has helped me iron out many bugs inherant in a conversion from Aberrant to MEGS.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

<!--fonto:Trebuchet--><span style="font-family:Trebuchet"><!--/fonto-->Thought this was interesting, especially when used in conjunction with Nature/Demeanor.

What motivation do you see your character as?EchoStation.pdf<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jack-in-the-Green said;

Hm. Somewhere between curiosity (possibly Thrill of Adventure) and constant, blinding FEAR. But you'd probably already gathered that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

• 2 weeks later...

I just started reading the DC rules and I noticed that APs go beyond what is normally available in Aberrant. The first example was of Supermans strength of 25 allowing him to lift over 80,000 tons. In aberrant, a starting character would max at Mega-Str 5, only able to lift 100 tons (before making might roles to go up of course.) I also noticed this in the comparitive matrix, where several characters (the longest played ones obviously, with xp) are way off the aberrant scale. Of course I love the aberrant (white wolf) system, being a veteran of some years, but does coming from that system put us Abbies at a disadvantage?

Quote:
I just started reading the DC rules and I noticed that APs go beyond what is normally available in Aberrant. The first example was of Supermans strength of 25 allowing him to lift over 80,000 tons. In aberrant, a starting character would max at Mega-Str 5, only able to lift 100 tons (before making might roles to go up of course.) I also noticed this in the comparitive matrix, where several characters (the longest played ones obviously, with xp) are way off the aberrant scale. Of course I love the aberrant (white wolf) system, being a veteran of some years, but does coming from that system put us Abbies at a disadvantage?

As I understand it, and Asche can correct me as needed...but even those of us using Aberrant rules to create a character will have those characters "converted" to DC mechanics by Asche. So a high-end Aberrant strength score will become a high-end DC strength score...even though the two aren't the same in terms of the raw performance level.

You'll get a pdf of the converted stats when he's done, so you can get a feel for what you can do, when unshackled from Aberrant's mechanics. smile.gif

Allison, thanks for getting my back. You are correct. Also I will add that I moved to this system because I am of the Weaver 100%. (sorry for the WW referrence) I love to compare everything to everything. DC having such a broad range of powers allows for the obscene power levels like Superman that Aberrant just could not reflect without some serious modding and House rules. I was able to adapt with the help of fellow Weaver-children, many arguments, and some hardcore mathematics, everything from Aunt may and the Hulk from Marvel, to Kaitlin from GEN 13, to Spawn and the Garou and Kindred, and finally everything in Aberant and DC into the same system so I knew where everything stood. This is the reason behind the move.

However, I did make sure to not rape the character power-wise in the converting. IN the past when I was converting from systetm to system, and Kara can atest to my compulsion that way, I had to lower the effectiveness of characters to get a playable set done. Now however, I feel the conversion from Aberrant to MEGS was done in such a way as to not lower levels and in some cases might be a tad higher than the same in Aberrant.

The matrix I set up will get refined as we go so as to better reflect certain powers and such; It is hard right now to work powers up in such a manner that get boosted or amped by various means. Jack-in-the-Green Intelligence can go up to such an insane level that he might make Chronos look like unschooled but it is only on certain things and Jack can only do such a maneuvar on infrequent ocassions. When I made the matrix, I used the max attributes that you could possibly get in my slightly house-ruled Aberrant system (normal stats of 1-10 and mega stats 1-10) or 10/10 and converted that to DC. Even that result did not make the halfway mark in MEGS 0 - 99 scale. IN defense of that, MEGS does not have but a handful of any character that break the mid 30 range in any attribute and even fewer above 50 and none whatsoever above 65-70.

Guys, try and get used to the Narrator doing this about every six months or so. He will use the same system for a while but there are constant adjustments made to the game mechanics. Long ago I stopped trying to make sense of it all and just enjoyed the story. So, my suggestion to you all is to do the same.

Unless, of course, you too are children of the Weaver and have to know, name, categorize, and define every action or every rule that the story has to offer.

Archived