Aberrant: Ba'alt - Re: Manifestations, The Unlife, and the Fae

Narrator

First comes the Unlife.

IN their many forms and levels of power, without sentient life to focus on, all are formless and pure chaos. IN a very minimal form of ?sentience?, the Unlife can be called Darkfae but it never can grow beyond this point without a sentience from which to draw its food; anxieties and fear. Once there is this to draw on the darkfae feeds its brethren and manifestations are formed. That is, lower forms of Unlife feed upon the Darkfae and evolve further into the ultimate expression of horror and avarice and give form to manifestations.

So deep in the void there is nothing but DarkFae which is a form of Unlife but is used to feed its kind to develop further into manifestations. However, The Unlife manifestations have many forms and degrees of influence. Some Manifestations graduate into what some call the Pale Ones and it is these beings that are the real frightful part of the whole Unlife/fae cycle since it is them who can propagate Darkfae anywhere in the universe. Once a manifestation slays enough and feeds enough on terror and strife, it will grow in power and attain the highest most influential level we know of, a Pale One.

In summation, Unlife is comprised of Pale Ones and lesser manifestations. These use the darkfae to propagate and feed upon sentience. Without this final ingredient the Unlife are nothing but plasmic Chaos and formless but hopeful terrorists.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kara said

Now, I understand that there exists a ranking among the Unlife. Are all the Unlife sustained by fear, anxiety and suffering? Or are there unlife that are sustained by other emotions?

I guess this is going to be an ongoing mission for Kara... to investigate the planets that exist on the fringes of the Void that support sentient life and to see what the interaction are between the unlife and the life that exists there. Maybe even kidnapping a manifestation or two...

She understands what Kuhall was trying to do all those years ago on Faerun with that enormous manifestation...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The Unlife feeds only on anxiety, fear and avarice.... nothing else sates their appetite for destruction.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kara said;

So how big is the known border of the void? Is it infinite or finite?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->said to be finite as it connects only all the existences directly. If there are an infinite number of existances, the void is infinite. Since we know there are only 6 existances now, the void is limited to the "space" inbetween the realities. The void however has never been sucessfully navigated from one existance to another so this can all be conjecture.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->kara said;

Since the void is finite, has it been mapped out? Rather, to what extent has the border of the Void been mapped out? Are there any reigning kingdoms on the edge of the Void?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Besides House Rathien there are perhaps a handful, 5 or less other houses or people that dwell just inside or just outside the edge of Void.

It is not mapped since the anomalies inside are ever-changing. It is has proven impossible to map by all who have tried so far.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kara said;

But we know where the edge of the Void begins, right? Has that piece of space been mapped? Does one point eventually lead to that same point of space after traversing the edge of the void.

would the sons of Ether refer to the void as full of Ether matter?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->The edge of the void is known as far as the fact that it is known that if you fly a certain distance past point x, you will reach the void. It is more a point in space near the edge of the universe where there is no visible light any longer.

As fasr as how deep the edge is, well it depends on how deep you may go into it without losing s sensor lock. And once the sensor lock is lost, there is no telling where or even if yuo will evver be able to find your way our.

The sons of Ether might very well say the void is full of Ether, or dark matter...

Other than the K'taviir, are there any other societies that have been able to exist so close to the Void?

So are there any common characterstics of the unlife that was studied? Do they interact with each other? Do they feed off each other?

{I am picturing pitch black... would that be accurate?}<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They feed off each other when they can. it might take many small manifestations to take down a large manifestation but in the end the only rule that dominates them is chaos and every being for itself.

No other society has been know to be able to put up with the strain of living in the void. However, just loook at how Kara has to deal with her men on Voids Guard to see what characteristics it might take to live out there.

So there is no empire of organized manifestations working towards a common goal?

Were any large manifestations observed? Was it just feeding on smaller manifestations? Or was it leading a group of lesser manifestations to greater evils?

Is it organized chaos?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->NO empire of minifestations.

No large manifestations were observed anywhere near Voids Guard, the sentience level out there is just too low to accomodate such growth. They cannot feed off of each others anxiety and worry/fear. They only destroy each other when they finally get a solid form or manifest from a sentient.

Its the picture of chaos, no order of any manner. Just destruction, hate, strife, etc

Ok... What about the pale ones? Are they any sentience to their actions? And are there rankings among the pale ones?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pale ones are an "organization" to themselves. They will conflict each other where they can but at rare times, some of the lesser pales end up working for greater ones. The relationship seems to benefit all parties.

I remember a few posts ago that you decribed the pale ones as Banes. Are there any pale ones that are reveered as Gods by say some people on Faerun?

Oh, another question, has the manifestation that my father made become a Pale One?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I am sure some of the pale one regard themselves as gods and set themselves up to be worshipped. it is even likely that some of the lesser unclassified manifestations attempt to set themselves up as gods as well but this will attract too much attention from the real Pale ones.

The one your daddy had form from him very likely has his own little dimension or series of worlds that it now rules, if its still alive.

Are the energies that the Pale Ones use very close to using Primal energy?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pale ones, being a higher level of Darkfae, are indeed comparable to Primals.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Chronos said;

So how do we attack them? What takes down gates? Can "possessed" baselines be purged of these negative energy creatures without killing them?

For that matter, formless as they are, how do they attach themselves to their hosts?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kaelan said;

I don't know if ST has told you about the other energies in the universe. Akasa, Quantum, and Primal Energies are very similar if not identical. But there are other energies that are derived directly or in part from the afforementioned energies. One of these is known as fae energies. There is Earth Fae, Water Fae, Solar Fae, and Dark Fae (if my memory serves me right). The unlife use the Dark Fae to do their evil stuff. Other mages and gifted ones can tap into the other faes. There are Dark Wielders that can tap into Dark Fae as well. Dark Fae will eventually corrupt the person. Solar Fae really hurts Unlife. Conventional weapons can possibly hurt unlife as well but generally, you want something magical to do some damage. Tapping into the Faes is not easy. It can be taught but you can also get pretty fried if you make a mistake.

What takes down gates? A lot of "force". And it's usually a two way gate. You can shut one side down but the other is still open. So, you have to make sure to contain both sides.

Death is quite an effective way to purge someone possessed by the unlife. Remember to take off the head and burn the body. Sprinkle some holy water on them for good measure. Oh without killing them, it's not worth the risk. If they are found to be possessed you are better off killing them than letting them act normal and be opening gates all over the place possessing an army.

Formless? well they are like energy or like spirits. They don't necessarily have a "physical" form. By possessing someone or something, they are then given a form.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Chronos said;

I'm starting to like more and more the idea of getting out the orbs.

Sounds like both life and death would work pretty well on them... and one would fit Doc's personality pretty well and the other his powers (time is the ultimate end to everything).

I really don't like the sound of that, "if ithe gate breaks on one side it doesn't break on the other". This implies that someone could open a one way gate and there'd be pretty near nothing we could do about it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kaelan said;

I would only recommend one of the orbs to use on the unlife. The others would hurt the manifestation or feed their strife, hate, malice, etc...

The only way to shut down the one way gate would be to find the source on the other side. It would be an almost impossible task; highly improbable.

I am not a master of time, so I would not know what the effects of time would be on them. I assume there would be little effect on them. If there is an effect, I would wager that it wouldn't be advisable to use time on them. Some things are immune to time...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Chronos said:

Name a couple. Even things like water will eventually decay into energy.

As for the unlife, it occurs to me that they might not be able to survive forever outside their natural enviroment.

As for gates... the more I think about it, the more i doubt they'd build a one way gate. These things are pretty selfish. They'd build gates to add to their own power, and that means bringing things back.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kaelan said;

Water does not decay unless there is an outside force that is exerted on it.

Little is known about the unlife. What is known about the Unlife was done by extensive research done in a city on Faerun. They are very resilient. They seem to exist outside of the natural laws and thus we don't know if time and normal things would be extremely effective to them. It might work once and then the next time you try, there may be some resistnace. Plus, unlife are on a power scale all their own. You might think that this dragon is super menacing but it could actually be a weak manifestation. They usually are as strong as the fear inspired and the power of the creature that fed it.

I have used three swords (orbs) on the unlife. I don't know what names you know them by. I have use Soul Cutter, Far slayer, and the sword of Darkness. The best sword to use would be the sword of life. They squeel pretty loud just by being touched by that sword.

Some primals, Sidhe, Spirits, Gravity, Elements, sub atomic particles, Anything above the fifth dimension, etc are or can be immune to time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually there are theories out there that say all Protons (all matter) will eventually decay (although we are talking on a scale of time not seen by the universe yet).

Time as a force is really grim because anything that changes will eventually change into nothing. I suspect many of the entities that think themselves immortal really aren't when you add enough zeros onto the year counter. Eventually even the stars will die, and the universe will grow cold.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Gee I would really love to have Chronos and Asche have a heart to heart one day on some theories and things that Asche has discovered with his manipulation of things temporal as well. It would enlighten the both of them and I ma sure BIG doors would be opened for the good doctor in more ways than one.

Kaelan is of the subscription that if it has not been written on and etched onto his empires steel tablets it must not be true. I fear he is trying some of his Inquisition tricks on you.

Kaelan..as far as Time goes, I think you are adopting the "Yakmircha" view on things (brandon) and he was not necessarill in agreement with the view I took on things. Think Star Trek theory not Babylon 5. Think somewhere between "time is immutable and etched in stone and any tampering with history merely does nothing. It is impossible" and "Time is easily mutable and subject to ebbs and flows; if you go back in time it will change things irrevocably for the future and would butterfly-effect the cosmos into oblivion." Once you adapt that balanced view, or go have a talk with your wife about the theachings of her mother yourself, you might think otherwise. I guess what I am saying is, be careful what you speak of my friend, especially if you would not gamble your life on it being certain.

Pardon me for my referrences to people/things not known by many here save Kaelan. I felt like being enigmatic...

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Zephraine said;

A big thing to consider is that you are using one form of energy(Time) on another (Unlife). After all, using Chronos' example of water - while the matter (water) decays, its Entropy increases, thus a kind of usable energy benefits from Temporal manipulations. Light goes on forever (or nearly so) and is defused by hitting matter/energy, not by Time itself. Lastly, if there is some sort of balancing mechanism in the Multi-verse, using Time (order) on Unlife (Disorder) might cancel each other out, or cause one to rise up to match the effects of the other.

Or, "Time alone leads to Despair."

Think happy thoughts, ya'll.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jack said;

What, exactly, does one need to hurt Unlife in the lifestage we're talking about here? Will a nuke work?

If the Unlife begin to metamorphose into the Pale, what does one need to hurt them? Will a nuke work then?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Chronos said;

I'm pretty ignorant, but I'll take a stab at it.

A nuke has a really good chance of destroying the physical form (or host) of unlife. Presumably this would kill the unlife itself.

On the other hand, a nuke also generates a lot of the sort of things (death/dispair) that unlife feeds on.

So if it works, it will work well. If it doesn't work (if it misses or if we don't get them all), then it mades the situation worse.

RE: Time

What makes you say Time is a force of order? Granted, it is orderly, but as you increase time you increase disorder. Even things like light are only immune to time as long as they don't interact with other things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jack said;

There wouldn't be any emotional side effects - or, at least, there shouldn't be. The nuke would go off in supernal space, and it should be impossible for it to affect the real world from there. No electromagnetic energy or particles can cross over without Jack's help, so the worst that could happen would be that the area in supernal space would be highly radioactive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kaelan said;

I have not heard of Nuclear weapons being used to destroy the unlife or dark fae. It should work considering that fire and sunlight are effective tools against some manifestations. An entropy mage would be really scary in the vicinity of dark fae or worse... unlife....

Just remember that whatever you use, be fully confidant that it is going to work.

I have not heard that time was effective against the unlife. That doesn't mean that it won't work... I just have not ever had the power to try to use time as a weapon.

I do like Mr. Zephraine's comment.

And Narrator, my recent actions would speak to me being in the middle just like you suggested.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Radiation, Heat, most of the facrors of a nuke will have no effect on the unlife once it is past the possession stage. Once at te Greater level (stage 5, it is said that NO mundane or unworked (unenchanted, non quantum powerd?) device or method will cause harm to the Manifestation. It is certain though that even should a Manifestation be slain by some means besides Sunlight or Solar Fae, this critical step will need to be done to ensure the Unlifes destruction. This sun subjection needs to be done in seconds!!

All Stages past 2 cause fear in some levels in sentients. This is a feeding tactic.

<blockquote><!--coloro:#ff0000--><span style="color:#ff0000"><!--/coloro-->1. Dark Fae- believed to be te earliest form of Unlife.

2. "Baby Fae/Baby Manifestation (the stage you are looking at now)

3. Possessed - at this point they take ove the mind.

4. Lesser Manifestation- most Unlife can skip 3 to go here. These forms usually hide and feed secretly until the grow to next stage.

5. Manifestation- dangerous. Can use the fae around it to its will and can direct it to make weapons, equipment, etc..

6. Greater Manifestation- Once they have subjected and fed on a quite a few sentients anxieties and fears.

7. Minion of the Pale- Autonomous Manifestation. Can exist in sunlight for a short time. Has (needs)several lesser forms in its service.

8. Demon of the Pale- Altered and fatally twisted sentients made by several Minions of the Pale or by a Master of the Pale.

9. Master of the Pale- Immune to typical sunlight and damaged only by intensely highly worked (magic) items and Solar Fae. High levels of quantum in certain forms theorized to damage forms in this stage. Likely has a small kingdom of Unlife under him numbering in the hundreds.

10. Lord of the Pale- Believed to be the source of Dark Fae in a galactic region. A Lord has never been accurately measured in power or combated.

11. Elder of the Pale- A form witnessed at the same time as A Lord of the Pale. Not properly measured and could have been just a greater manifestation.</blockquote>[color:#FF0000]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Note that all stages past 2 save for 8, require a sentient host. It is not known if the host past 8 is even still "in there" and no host past 3 have ever been recovered. For that matter, We now have a supposd earlier stage to look at now.

<!--coloro:#999900--><span style="color:#999900"><!--/coloro-->Now a note on the Unlifes Feeding

All Unlife feed on worry, anxiety, fear, pain, malice, etc. The anxiety is the tricky part of the feeding because once started it is usually a domino effect of fear causing effects. They seem to feed telepathically and it is a new discovery that they cant feed interdimensionally. (ie they can see around Jacks room but cant seem to feed on anyone they see because they are not There.

As an example of the anxiety, lets read this; A warrior is in the woods hunting Orc. It gets late and the sun goes down and unbeknownst to him, there is a Dark Fae cluster in a cave near his hunting area. As the Fae floats around in the night air it senses his thoughts. Unlife in any form can cause hallucinations that cause terror, worry, anxiety, on which they feed.

Now he is a veteran warrior and has fought many a battle but he still has anxieties. Maybe not worries so much, but he still wonders if the battle with the Orcs yesterday has alerted any Black Mountain Orcs in the region. The Fae sense this and Make a Black Mountain Orc manifestation. When the warrior sees this, he is worried there might be more, and so on. The residual fae feeds on his pain in thr battle, his anxiety that he might not win, his worry for more enemy, etc... and grows stronger, even making more manifestations. The warrior is bound to lose his life unless he retreats.

The anxiety of anyone, no matter how small, can be used to allow the Unlife to literally alter reality about their victim. Maybe you did forge to load the ammo clip, maybe your quantum is not high enough to hurt the Unlife, maybe your mental defense is not enough, maybe all you have been told about the Unlife is lies. No one is without anxiety so everyone feeds the Unlife in some way and some manifestations are simply more powerful due to the food on which they feed. For example, a manifestation that formed off of Chronos would be much more formidable than once formed off of a civilain in the area; Chronos has much more anxieties and worries, or at least of a higher magnitude. <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

So the short answer to what can harm unlife is it depends on what stage they are at. At the stage your dealing with, A nuke will do nothing. The only thing that will is quantum or Worked (enchanted) items.

An attuned nuke?

Maybe we are missing the obvious: Can Jack make gates into his pocket Dimension? If so, just find a sunny spot and let it in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kaelan said;

Looks like the group has found the true enforcers of the Ban... =)

Hey ST! Are you going to incorporate the Unlife that are immune to Sunlight and the like with this group? Especially since whatever unlife that was infesting Zephraine was feeding on such a tasty meal... Sorry but I shudder to think what they might be dealing with... I don't think a visit to the sun is going to do much good...

But hey, what do I know? I am looking forward to see how Doc uses time to expel unlife.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

• 5 weeks later...

You know, Yakmircha was a really cool cat =), but I don't take his point of time travel. I thought that my most recent actions would show that. That stung Dude.

My question is and I know that I have asked you before: Are the Dark Fae Hive minded?

<!--coloro:#ff0000--><span style="color:#ff0000"><!--/coloro--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#ff0000--><span style="color:#ff0000"><!--/coloro-->1. Dark Fae- believed to be te earliest form of Unlife.

2. "Baby Fae/Baby Manifestation (the stage you are looking at now)

3. Possessed - at this point they take ove the mind.

4. Lesser Manifestation- most Unlife can skip 3 to go here. These forms usually hide and feed secretly until the grow to next stage.

5. Manifestation- dangerous. Can use the fae around it to its will and can direct it to make weapons, equipment, etc..

6. Greater Manifestation- Once they have subjected and fed on a quite a few sentients anxieties and fears.

7. Minion of the Pale- Autonomous Manifestation. Can exist in sunlight for a short time. Has (needs)several lesser forms in its service.

8. Demon of the Pale- Altered and fatally twisted sentients made by several Minions of the Pale or by a Master of the Pale.

9. Master of the Pale- Immune to typical sunlight and damaged only by intensely highly worked (magic) items and Solar Fae. High levels of quantum in certain forms theorized to damage forms in this stage. Likely has a small kingdom of Unlife under him numbering in the hundreds.

10. Lord of the Pale- Believed to be the source of Dark Fae in a galactic region. A Lord has never been accurately measured in power or combated.

11. Elder of the Pale- A form witnessed at the same time as A Lord of the Pale. Not properly measured and could have been just a greater manifestation.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro-->Hive mentality only exist on Phase 1 and 2, but note that past phase 2 it is beleived that they all learn from each other and communicate in some manner<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Archived