[Fiction] Wait For Me

Long

Long pushed himself back from the computer and sighed. It was tough to admit his love for Timeslip hadn't waned at all, that His heart belonged to both her and Endeavor. Each woman would be a mother to his children, Timeslip to Yokiko, his first second generation nova daughter. Endeavor would bear him twins in early July. His heart swelled with pride as he thought about how glorious a family of novas with this pedigree would be, but there was still sadness. Timeslip, even if she were acquitted wouldn't be his wife. Their relationship had grown too rocky to endure as it was. Hence why the Divorce hearings were underway. It didn't diminish the love and general protectiveness he felt for her. It was done to protect the children and because frankly being married to Endeavor would be better for all of them. He loved Endeavor with the same intensity that he loved Timeslip. That he would die for her had already been tested once. Endeavor, while eccentric, is loved by all of Japan. Her company was among the largest in the world. She was beautiful, intelligent, successful, compassionate, and loyal. Those were all qualities Long remembered about his own mother. Saito hadn't met their mother, but Father had spoken of her on occassion. From those old talks he'd picked up how loving and gentle their mother had been.

In their last conversation, he'd even commented to Long that he was very happy Long had found a young woman like Endeavor to be the mother of the twins. He said he just had a feeling she would make the kind of mother that father had told him theirs had been. He had actually dormed for a moment and hugged Saito, on the verge of tears. "That is the highest compliment, brother. I was affraid that you would feel as Saori did, that it was dishonorable." Saito had spoken softly. "Sakurako makes you happy brother. I can see it in your eyes regardless of your form. She is a better match for YOUR needs than Timeslip was. Angela is a sister to me, I was prepared for her to take over as the mother of my children. But we both know the death of Excavator, even should she be acquitted, will be a blot upon her in the eyes of the public. She would bring unesscessary danger onto this house, and everyone in it, if she were here with them. "I am happy she will bear you a daughter, and I hope she is as captivating as her mother, and as enduring as her father. I stand back now, the chroniclyer of our family now. You head it, and I know some find fault with your choices. They are however your choices to make, and I am not fit to pass judgement. Misato and Benkei are happy. They grow and learn and you keep them safe. That is the job of the father, and something I simply could no longer do."

Long had looked at him and nodded. "I will not fail brother. Whatever comes, our family, the children, they will survive and prosper. I will give all that I am to see it through." Saito nodded. "I know brother, I'm just sorry that I may not last long enough to see everything. The future for novas seems limitless, I at best only have so many more years to watch." He had forestalled Long's rreply with a firm squeeze of his shoulder. "I am human Ryu, not a God made flesh like the others in this house. It is not my place to subsist on your power, to allow you to keep me around beyond my natural years. When it is my time, You will allow me to join our brother and sister, our father, mother, and grandfather. I have your word?"

It had been so against where Long had wanted this to go. He looked into his brother's eyes, knowing this was realy his wish. "Hai brother, I will let you go to them as you wish, but you must bear a message for me in return. tell them all I'm sorry that i failed them, that I turned from what they taught us, that I couldn't save them."

"Ryu, you are ensuring the future of our family is a strong one, giving up half your heart, half your soul to do it when you don't have to. You are a warrior. You could fight, do as you please and to hell with everyone else, but if you did harm would certainly befall us all. So you make a choice, to sacrifice something you hold more valueable than your life to protect all the other things youplace that value on. I do not envy you for it brother, but I respect you beyond measure for it." Saito excused himself and had left Long to think and return to his natural form. That was a week ago.

Now he sat knowing that tomorrow night he would leave them all again. He had already made arrangements to have them looked after while he was away. This like Chrysalis was something he simply had to do. He may never see Yokiko again, and it could well be the last chance he had to see Timeslip happy, Nothing on Earth would bar him from that. She would come tomorrow night, for an instant, to get him and then they'd stay gone for a month. He stood and walked into the master bedroom where Endeavor lay napping after a busy morning. He knelt next to the bed without a sound, eventually actually sitting down on the wood floor. the tip of his tail lay upon the bed, his eyes swept from the mound that was Endeavors belly, housing two future members of their household. Finally his gaze came to her face. It exuded a certain innocence, beautiful and almost angelic. He reached out with a hand and traced her hairline down to the covers with only the barest tip of his claw. It wasn't enough to wake her, but it belied his absolute control of himself, of the tenderness in his heart concerning the young woman in the bed. he waited patiently for her to awaken, for She needed to be told what was about to happen, and why.

Endeavor wakes from her dreaming, gently taking hold of Long's arm. She opens her eyes and sees Long next to her. Looking at her. There was something on his mind.

"Ryu-kun... I... Think I have a feeling of what's coming. Timeslip is due soon, isn't she?"

Sakurako figured as much. From everything she gleaned from any conversation made public and sheer deduction, she figured Timeslip's Nine Months are just about up.

"You... Don't have to ask. I'm not your keeper. Only your beloved. I will think nothing different of you when you return. But... Something tells me that's not the whole of things, isn't it?"

Sakurako sits up in her bed. Her body's flexibility and resilience allowing her to rise. She strokes Long's face. "What is it, Ryu?"

Long smiles to see Sakurako's eyes open. as his tail brushes the back "You're right. Timeslip will give birth to Yokiko very soon. I am going to go with her to be there when she is born. As her father it is where I simply need to be most." He looks down.

I love you Sakurako, more than words can truly express, but I have to go with Timeslip now. I am going to be gone most likely until her trial, at which point I will return to you here, in our home. I want you to wait for me, my Sakurako."

"No, but a wise man told me once to hope for the best, but be prepared for everything else." He nods. "As such I've asked Jager to help keep an eye on you and the others while I'm away."

He looks over to the case containing his armor and the rack holding the sword Access and the one she had made him. "I have two further request of you. The first is kind of a challenge. When you made me that sword, you made it for a close friend. Now I want you to forge one for your husband to defend our family with."

Sakurako thinks for a moment. To request a stronger sword would require more than the best metal or forging techniques. Sakurako had thoughts of a possible construction, but half of the idea would skirt S&T... the rest could break it.

But if Long feels he needs a tool to defend his family with... "What you ask... would be a sword worthy of a Nova. I have an idea already, but... I just hope I am worthy of the task."

"As for protection while you're away, I made a little phone call as it were to an old colleague of mine. He should be arriving Tomorrow. He's an old Colleague of Jager as well. I think the two have some stories to tell and I thought a little reunion would help our mutual friend get back into the swing of things, as it were."

She smiles. "I've realized once I let my mind go foreward a few steps, it's easier to place what I need, where."

"What else do you need, my love?"

She freezes in her thoughts... "Wait... Husband? You... actually want to go through with... Marriage?"

Long smiles. "Why wouldn't I? We should make it official before the children are born, that way they can carry my name without a stigma upon it."

His other hand comes up holding a small box with a ring. The ring itself is about one and a half ounces of platinum, encrusted with a pair sapphires, one on each side, and a 4 carat pink diamond in the center.

"Before I leave you I think I should formally ask. Sakurako Hino, will you marry me?"

Sakurako pauses. Ronin never asked. Sam Grey was a fling. Wakinyan let her go... Long... Long sincerely loved her like she loved him. She had no doubt. But for a while here and there her calculations put the marriage far off. Some times she thought he was waiting for after she gave birth.

But this was expected, but suprising none the less. "Ryu I..."

"Yes... Yes I will." She's on the verge of crying. She's carefully measured her emotions to keep them in check for the savety of her babies, but right now, she knows a little cheerful tears are a good thing.

She grabs on to Long, Hugging him tightly. Softly crying "Yes... I so will. Thank you..."

She holds out her hand to long after gently moving off from her embrace. Offering it to him to take to put the engagement ring on her finger.

There was something so western about this, but Sakurako walked her own path. One where all traditions were welcome. This... was only an affirmation of her philosophy.

Long slides the ring onto her finger gently and kisses her knuckles softly. His other hand gently frames her face as he pulls up his head and kisses her. After a moment he pulls back and looks at her. "My eyes are with you, but it is your radiance which will be seen and loved by all. Your lovliness that everyone will admire."

His tail coils around her waist and he sits in the bed next to her. His massive frame seems to envelop her as his arms wrap around her and he pulls her to his chest. His fur is soft and warm, and his blue eyes radiate a cool blue light. "We'll make the wedding a small ceremony, but once the children are born we can have the huge reception your fans and our nation will likely require of us."

His left handcaresses the silk covering her stomach his right rubs her shoulder softly. "I know it's alot to lay on you at once, but I have faith in your strength. You're stronger than anyone realizes, and I really believe there's nothing you cannot do."

"I think it's time I no longer hid behind the scenes. I'm capable of so much more yet I've been afraid. I can't hold back any longer."

She looks down, planting her head firmly in Long's chest. "I know I'm capable of being who I should be. I've just yet to have the confidence in myself. With you here, Ryu, I think I have finally found my anchor. My reason of being."

He pats her stomach gently. "You'll have two more soon enough Sakurako. I'm all for you becoming more active, but just don't over do it while I'm gone. if Jager or your other protector tell you it's too dangerous, don't argue, just trust them. Jager's my oldest enemy, and my best friend. He will keep you safe while I'm gone."

He licks her exposed left shoulder softly. "As for your confidence levels, I don't see why you have so little faith in yourself. You run a huge company with relative ease, and seemingly no stress. What's more you seem to enjoy it."

He looks to her eyes and smiles. "We don't have much time to plan it together you know, I can leave that to you if you like, I trust your judgement. This will be the last night we're together for awhile though."

He kisses her on the top of her head and starts to purr softly. "Our future is a path we will walk together, us and our children. Never forget that."

"Of course. Jager I consider a surrogate Father. He's kept me on the straight and narrow for a while. Hell, he sometimes is the voice of reason that pulls me back from being a wreckless little turd."

She smiles. "Long, it's always better to take baby steps. I just haven't taken any. But I will do so with you at my side. And who-so-ever wishes to follow without malice."

"Good, I have some plans to enact once I return. You'll find them on my computer under the file labled "Eden." Read them while I'm gone and if you would, try to work up actual methods for accomplishing them. It and the sword and the wedding plans should keeep you occupied while I'm gone I should think." He traces a claw up her spine and nuzzles her shoulder.

"So what would you like to do now, my bride-to-be?"

"What do you want to do? I just woke up, here."

Sakurako grins, with an almost "oh, boy" expression. "Then again, are you being just naughty?"

She knows Ryu would like nothing more than another tryst tonight, but she really just doesn't feel comfortable with that sort of thing unless she wasn't pregnant. Perhaps distracting Long long enough might change his mind to something more constructive.

"well to be honest I would mind taking a swim in the pool with you and the kids." he looks at her with an "evil" smile. "You're Pregnant it's not like we can fool around." his tone is half joking. He was trying to impart an evening of being close, but perhaps later, it would be better to just be a family for the night.

"Come on, nothing like a quick dip in the pool, besides the kids love playing in the pool. It's been far too long since the pool's seen use."

Sakurako nods. "Yeah. I've been using the pool more now to relax. Helps loosen the muscles and calm the mind down. I've even done some meditating in the pool to quiet the mind. It does work wonders and I find my thoughts focus better doing that."

She gets up from her bed, straightening her night gown. "Maybe I should break out my waterproof laptop and start working on the designs for that sword. After I focus my thoughts I should pull off something extraordinary."

"After some family time..."

Long chuckles. "Indeed, Sakurako."

Long rises from the bed , and goes over to the dresser where a pair of swin trunks reside. He strips off his Eufiber, and dons a pair of specially made swin trunks. "Were it just you and I, I wouldn't bother, but with the kids, I have to at least feign caring about being clothed."

Endeavor had known that in the privacy of his room and the adjoining bath he went without clothes. His natural fur was simply enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Sakurako laughs. "Yeah... there is that little hangup called social taboo we gotta work on. You're pretty well covered with that big old pelt of yours."

Sakurako smiles. "Then again, that's one of the things I like. Of course, I think my body's state is probably more annoying. Completely... utterly... waterproof. Ever hear of slippery when wet?" She gets up and walks over to a dresser. "I'll grab a swimsuit here and some shoes I've made up for walking on a wet poolside. You could walk on wet ice with these shoes. You might want a pair. The traction is incredible."

"I don't have to be." He chuckles. When she mentions shoes he looks down at his feet and smiles. Massive black claws slide out and he smiles. "Traction hasn't been a problem for me for a long time."

He leaves for the door. "We'll be waiting." He quickly speaks to the twins and they change with remarkable speed and actually beat him out to the pool. Saito declines, knowing a little bonding between the nova family will be good for them.

All of them were in the pool, the children swimming in the shallow end and Floating on his back , his tail swishing about in the water idly.

He could feel the children coming, but played possum. They struck him together trying to overturn him into the water but in the end his arms snaked out and grabbed them both lifting them bodily into the air the giggle and squeal with delight like normal children as he moves them up and won and then sets them down on his chest and stomach. They both lay down with their feet off to the side in the water and look up into the massive muzzle of their uncle.

It's a halmark moment, one Saito watching from his window upstairs sees and approves of. Part of himis jealous, but he knows too well he can't really be the father they need him to be. his brother can, and he looks to really enjoy it. "so much the better brother that you will give them a mother like Sakurako, and a large family like ours."

Sakurako walks to the family pool in a nice, but bright red one-piece swimsuit, and darker blue deck-shoes on her feet, the slight shine of the swimsuit shows in the warm lighting Sakurako put in for the entire housing the pool is located in.

"So, what do you guys think?" She says, adjusting a few wrinkles in the practically form-fitting swimsuit. "Then again, my synchronizing my quantum with the suit helps it adapt to my form. Attunement's great, even if with me it makes my clothes look alomst like rubber."

She sits at the edge of the pool, leting her leg dangle.

Long's blue eyes seem to soften even as they remain glowing as he watches Sakurako at the edge of the pool. The twins turn to look back at her and then go back to burying their heads in the fur on Long's chest. with a few kicks of his legs and the use of his tail like a rudder he manages to come to a stop right beside Sakurako's legs, floating on his back with the children laying on him. "I think it suits you, and yes attuing your clothes is nice when you can't wear Eufiber."

Misato rolls over and smiles up at Sakurako. "Come on in, the waters fine. We won't bite, well Benkei and I won't."With that she actually shoves Benkei into the water and then dives off the other side of Long. Long laughs and Benkei makes a splash and then he feels him swim under him after Misato. They take off to the other side of the pool splashing and dunking each other. Long remembered this trick however. He and Takashi had done it to their father more than once. It never really worked though.

"Relaxing with my family, this is what makes everything worth it Sakurako, moments like this shouldn't ever end, won't if I have my way."

The open nature of Benkei makes Sakurako slide in. Bobbing up seconds later unto her back, she rolls over, and tries her best to adjust her bouyancy in her body so she can at least swim on her front torso.

"Relax? That's something I'm starting to learn, Long." She says, swimming out to the center of the pool, letting the air in her legs and lower body get pushed up to her upper body and chest. "That and figuring out how to swim... again. To think I was afraid of drowning a year ago!"

She starts laughing, as she bobs in the warmed water.

Long chuckles. "I've never been affraid of the water. There's something soothing about it. His tail snakes out to help steady Sakurako as he rights himself in the pool. in the shallow end the water only comes up to his waist at four feet. Then he feels a pair of hands clamp onto his left arm and then another grab ahold of the fur on his spine. He can feel the children trying to pull him under, but resists them easily enough.

"Teamwork will only get you so far children." He hoists Benkei up into the air looking at him as he practically wraps himself around his arm. Misato meanwhile made her way up Long's back and had her arms around his neck. "Dad, are you and Miss Sakurako going to get married?"

Long's ears perked up slightly. "Yes Misato, We are."

She reached up and scratched the underside of his jaw like one would a regular cat. Benkei spoke. "So we can call her Momma now, or do we have to wait?" Benkei hung from Long's upraised arm and smiled at both Long and Sakurako.

Long's eyes brightened and he looked to Sakurako, a smile growing on his muzzle. "That is entirely up to her. But I don't think she'll mind at all." his gaze seemed to Urge Sakurako to speak her mind on this. she'd never get a more perfect chance to cement her place with them.

Sakurako gasps, unconciously puffing up further than she was. After gaining some equalibrium, she pauses.

"Of... Of course I don't mind, Long. Why would you propose one minute, then ask if I minded the next, silly?" She swims... more like paddles, over to Long and hugs him. "Besides, after my passengers finally disembark on their journey, our Family might become too big even for this town."

She laughs, but she has an inkling of this "Eden" he eluded t earlier. If she's right, sooner rather than alter the family might have an address no postal service delivers to... without a Trans-Relativity drive.

"But... for now we're alright. We've never been better, right... my Family?"

"well I wasn't the one asking this time." Long hugs her too him with his free arm and both Misato and Benkei maneuver around to where they can join the embrace as well. "Momma, Papa.." It was all that was said by either of them as Long nodded knowing;y. He'd leave them to see his daughter born, but he vowed to return to them. "Things will only get better."

"Yeah, things will. like all things, it'll take time, but we have all the time in the world, don't we?"

Something in the back of her mind keeps poking at her, telling her otherwise. They are on borrowed time. She first felt this with Jager. How his worry was well founded. And now here that nagging doubt returns.

There are very few Nova Children, and only a handful, if any Second Generation Novas. Long and herself are treading a very untreaded path, and sooner or later they might not like what they see.

All of a sudden, she looks foreward to seeing Long's "Eden" plan, and perhaps moving that into high gear. No... That'll take years, if he wants what she suspects. Today is theirs, and family is her goal. She's home. She has someone to call family again.

She feels odd, as if she's come full circle. Being with long only seems to complete the ring.

Archived