[Fiction] Holiday Blues, Alcohol Cures

Kultra

A single man walked down the cold streets of Chicago, seemingly new to the town, checking avenue corners to see if he was in the correct way.

Closing his jacket further, Polymath shivered I should have brought a better coat. Comfortable for now with how it was, he took out a cigar, lightning it up with a match, he took a long drag out of it, feeling instantly better with the small heat it radiated.

Walking through the streets of Chicago was no easy feat for a man who was born and raised on the deserts of northern Mexico, the cold was biting onto his exposed hands and face, but as Nova, the cold was nothing but a discomfort, a big annoyance, but not dangerous by any means.

Following the directions given, he knew has was close to his destination Hope you are off for the day from your job by the time I arrive Cade on the far end of human vision, he could see his destination. Babylon club, a club that only accepts Novas. That place better have the best goddamned drinks on this side of the world, or I will kill the guy who can Warp for making me fly to Chicago

Walking through the city alone, in the cold. Polymath made slowly his way through the snowy and frozen wasteland many people call the Chicago night.

Cade finished the last requisition form for the Foundation and Sighed with relief. The holidays had been rough this year. He'd done his good deeds, visiting orphanages, bringing toys and happiness to a great many children. Heck he'd even worked in a Soup Kitchen on Christmas Eve. He'd made sure that Long's children had plenty beneath their tree as well, including gifts for everyone else who was at that house.

All of that still didn't really matter though. He was surrounded by the Good Cheer of the season, by people who adored him for one reason or another, and yet He was alone. A nova from Mexico had offered to be company while he went out a tried to drown his sorrows again. Considering the loss of property the last time he'd done it, He graciously had accepted the offer. He shut down his computer and locked away all the files and paperwork within his desk. Polymath should be arriving soon.

His Eufiber seemed to flow around him and reformed into a casual outfit of black jeans and a long-sleeve button-down shirt. over that it became an oldfashioned Leather bomber jacket. He nodded to his secretary on his way out. "I'm done for today, finish up the McAllen report and you're free to go too." Melissa smiled to him and nodded. "Thanks boss, I'll see to it that it's ready for the morning."

Cade nodded and walked to the elevator and made his way outsideo fthe Foundation's main office, to where he'd told Polymath to meet him.

• 2 weeks later...

Polymath stepped infront front of the Babylon club, a light snowfall starting as the sun set on Chicago. Finally pulling his jacket together, he mentally reviewed what he knew about Cade.

Public face of the Windy City Knights, Deeply defensive Psyche, described as the Dependable type, was in a relationship until recently which ended in a tragic turn. He won't open up easy.

Polymath wondered about this, Cade had recently suffered a horrible lost, and his first reaction was violence against the man who had perpetrated it. Disguised under a impassive face, and under his authority as a WCK, he simply stood as the mytical Unmovable Object infront of the criminal's car, and stood witness, with unflinching decision, to how the youth's car was turned into scrap metal, with the youth still inside.

Polymath snickers to himself, anyone in this world would kill to have the chance Cade had, revenge is a psycological drive on the human brain, its one of the most basic instincts humans have upon being damages by others, and most Novas are not above it.

Polymath finished his cigar, Taking the last Drag, his shoulders and hair were already wet from waiting on the snow, but Cade wouldn't be late....when you can warp reality around you to get from poitn A to C without going through B, its hard to be late.

Cade's mind clicked. They'd agrreed to meet at the club, not the office. A Warpgate opened and he stepped out near the entrance to Club Babylon. He searched for a second and pinpointed the other nova waiting for him. He walked over extened a hand to him.

"Polymath, it's a pleasure to meet you. Sorry for the wait, I somehow got the idea that we were meeting at the office. I hope you haven't been waiting long."

Cade smiles, even though he knows that this is likely to be the only part of the evening that will be pleasant. Eventually, they'll come around to the real reason for this, little meeting. Dad always did say to tell others your problems would lessen them.

"No problem Cade, I understand how work can make the mind work in weird ways" Polymath extended his hand to shake Cade's, feeling the strenght behind that shake was something Polymath was not actually used to, it was tremendous, even to Polymath's own strenght.

"And don't worry, It never snows on my home city, this is a nice change of weather" Polymath shruged slightly while saying this, tossing the last of his Cigar's ash to the snow. "and you know, the pleasure is mine, I don't get to meet a lot of Novas, and it seems I end up meeting the ones who have been on the news lately, just my luck eh?" Polymath snickered, used to have to laugh to his own jokes.

"But lets go in, I hear that Velvet makes sure to keep a fully stocked Bar and I have to say, I got some specific tastes" Polymath spent only a second checking staring at the door, before opening it. "Coming in with me? After all I have never been in here, but it is on your home city"

Archived