[Fiction] Long- Failures and Attonement

Long

The battle had raged on for well over a month. When normal combat between novas was measured in minutes, if not seconds, this battle had far exceeded any real meaning of time. Claws and energy blasts had torn the earth asunder. Unbridled power was at each of their commands, one using it like a surgeon's scapel, the other a tactical nuke to swat flies. The sword of honor lay destroyed on the ground, pieces of it still imbedded in both combatants. A price was being demanded and Ryu refused to pay it. Two massive energy blasts filled the sky with quantum fire as they canceled each other out. On the ground the Tiger stood on all fours, it's mouth and eyes wreathed in quantum energy. Its body seemed wracked with pain each time it drew breath.

From the sky descended the man-tiger that Ryu now wore. "It's time we finish this. For sixteen years you've been here, making me do things I didn't want to do. A living threat within my mind to everything around me, everything I care for."

"I do the things you will not you snivelling human. I avenge the insults to our honor, I am the sword that should protect the Clan. You are just the memory of a boy who should have died. "

"You almost killed my sister for speaking her mind!"

"WE almost killed her, and she deserved it so. Insolent little half-breed, after all that was sacrificed for her,her place was never at our side Ryu, it was beneathe our heel, as with any obedient dog."

Ryu raised his hands, claws extended and bgan the ritualistic motions of what was known as Long's finishing move, the Roaring Tiger's Fang. "No more tricks, no more mercy, no games, Just one last attack, winner take it all."

"It's about time you quit playing around Ryu. I hope you're ready for the Death you should have had that day. It will be quick and then I will be truly free." quantum fire pulsed around the Tiger's mouth his own version of the Fang forming.

"For all that I am and shall be, Vanish from this place in the ROARING TIGER'S FANG!!!!!!!" His voice builds as he speaks, his voice reaches a roaring cresendo as a torrent of blazing quantum energy roared forth from his hands towards the Tiger. At the forefront of the blast was the head of a Roaring Tiger. The Tiger's mouth opened in a roar and unmitigated quantum death spewed forth, meeting the oncoming energy. They met evenly and despite the beam of power, the Tiger laughed as his beam began forcing back the beam of Ryu.

"Is that it boy? is that all you can muster? Don't worry about your precious Timeslip, or that pretty little thing Endeavor, I'll take good care of them. They'll just have to learn to like it a bit rougher than your "delicate" ministrations."

Ryu only responded with a roar of his own as his own quantum field blazed higher, the blue flames around him Lighting the sky like star. HE willed his power higher, sending the beam back.

"You can't beat me, I'm part of you, the better part. I'm not a failure like you, like your Father." The words carried more force, and nearly overtook Ryu's assault.

The words cut deep, but they provided clarity in that moment of shame and pain. He had failed at many things over the years, critical things, minor ones, and he accepted that, but nobody called his father a failure, Nobody.

"I am a failure, I've failed alot, and it all comes back to you. I failded to keep control that day, and gave birth to you. I gave you a voice a mind, a life, and you've done nothing but hinder me. No More. The madness ends here, now." He drew all of his power, focused all his will and sent it through the beam. as he spoke two final words. "BE GONE!!!!!!!!"

The beam overpowered that of the Tiger and bathed him in blue quantum fires. The body disintegrated before his eyes, the voice went silend and the flame of a soul flickered and died, vanished into oblivion. The Blue fires wreathing him went white, as he fell to his knees in mind-numbing agony. The colors of the world drained away as white lite engulfed him and then he saw no more.

Then he heard it. It was a faint steady sound. slowly it grew louder, and a form took shape in from the white mists of his surroundings. Two massive white furred hands clapped slowly methodically. "At last my son, you have truly taken your first steps. Now you are truly ready to walk your own path, to shape your own destiny. I can teach you how to truly master youreself, how to make your will reality. All that remains is for you to take my hand, son."

The form was that of Shen-Khan, but the voice was one he'd only heard in memory. The strong firm voice of his father from his adopted father's lips. He looked up and he knew. He'd always known. He reached up and took the clawed hand in his own. At contact, it all clicked. The veils were parted, and Long was shown the way of things. Tears flowed from his eyes as he bowed still holding the hand. "Father, teach me everything."

Archived