A few things of interest

Matryoshka

Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:
Megalomania: Taking over all the TVs on the planet, demanding worship, etc.
Not conclusive. You say meglomania because he took over the opnet, I say it was the fastest way to get his message out in less than ten years. Is he detached therefore schizophrenic or is he existing in a state completely unfamiliar to human thought?

Please excuse the appearance of quibbling but I want to point out there's several possibilites to account for all of your examples. Preston may take me to task for entering the arena of roll playing over role playing but how much taint do you think Divas Mal went through? By my count it could be as little 5-6 without invoking chrysalis mechanics.

And just as a transhuman bone to feed the dog... A human with meglomania is crazy. A god with meglomania is just a god.

Pretty much everything from the books is pure speculation. His stats have never been given out in any real form and Chrysalis also allows you to transform mental aberrations to other types of aberration.

As for meglomania, he had that in Adventure.

As for bringing Pax around to his point of view, I can see the logic. Pax, to Mal's eye, is too focused on being the numero uno badass on the planet. By waxing him so convincingly he might force Pax to look at the reality of the situation and get a new world view, one that since Pax so obviously respects power, might have Mal as someone to listen to.

Util a nova fights Mal, they think they could be the biggest badest motherfuckers......

The taint topic comes from that fact that I want Signy to publicly come out and say that, taint is cureable.NOT THAT she can CURE it.But that it can be cured.

As foundations for this idea, I point out aht in trinity they do cure taint.Seeing as Signy can not roll dice to see that far into the future,and has spent 10 years looking into way of curing taint, looking all around the world.Yes I think she could have seen the after effects of that treatment. But even baring that, she could have literally thousands of years to study this problem.

Sign sits down looks into the future.She does this looking into her own future,and her own office,and reads her own work,from lets say 10 years in the furture.She spent one day learning everything she would learn in 10 years.She does this once a month or week,and spends her time living her life and working on the problem.and always has her paper work in order.Even if she only understands a small fraction of her own work, it would be many time faster than doing it any other way.

If you don't know why Signy would come out publicly and say there is away to cure taint, then you don't know Signy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Cherry:
As founadtions for this idea, I point out aht in trinity they do cure taint.
Please give me the book and page reference this one is on, cause I've ready every book and have never seen mention of this. They've studied it, and are working towards finding a cure, but no permanent cure has ever been created, AFAIK.

If there were a cure for taint in Trinity, a large part of america wouldn't be the inhospitable blight zone.

Yes, I do not have that book in my hands,and I couldn't even tell you what book it is in.I learned about it from a reelable person, who I believed to be telling the truth.

So, please Mann, seeing as you have more resources than I, could you elbarate..Even if it is doesn't matter much as the idea that it can be cured is the only that matters to this topic.

The book is e-book Teras Verde, the event you're refering to is Process 412 and the clairs characterize it as both "a process and a person". In some respects its a recreation of the events that took place under the eye of Dr Hammersmith.

Cured is too strong a wording, IMHO. Much too strong a wording.

It's called Process 418, which is how the ISRA classified it, or "The Venezuelan Phenomenon." It is in no way a cure for taint. It's the 3rd trigger event for the Trinity Universe, with Dr. Hamersmith's being the 1st and Mal's Galetea being the 2nd.

To a minimal extent you are correct, but I don't think it would be possible to study. While there are a few Aberrants and humans with taint diseases that are cured of their Taint through the process, just as many gain enough taint to kill them instantly. It does mention that there are bodies discovered with more taint than anything ever witnessed.

Stalwarts erupt out of it, which is Adventure's version of Novas. And still, they are much weaker versions of Aberrants, and are required to start the game with taint.

The process is a complete wild card. It's a shift in the medium that throws everything out of whack for a period of time. The outcome is seemingly random and just as likely to destroy as it is to heal. In no way does it appear to be something that could be considered a 'cure' for taint.

And last but not least, if this is the event you are referring to, then if you go by canon, you couldn't possibly see it. It is clearly stated that no precog could see what happened. The nature of the event disrupts everything in the quantum and sub-quantum medium for a period of time, making any attempt to pass through the August 2122 barrier impossible.

The Chitra Bhanu were studying taint, or rather in Aberrant terms Quantum. As has been stated, in Trinity they are 1 thing. They are studying how to manipulate quantum and dealing with Aberrants. At no point in time do they find a cure, as they are all killed fairly early on.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chosen:
It's called Process 418, which is how the ISRA classified it, or "The Venezuelan Phenomenon." It is in no way a cure for taint. It's the 3rd trigger event for the Trinity Universe, with Dr. Hamersmith's being the 1st and Mal's Galetea being the 2nd.
Not to sidetrack the conversation too much, but dang did Process 418 make me happy: I love seeing the return of daredevils.

Anyways.

Quote:
To a minimal extent you are correct, but I don't think it would be possible to study. While there are a few Aberrants and humans with taint diseases that are cured of their Taint through the process, just as many gain enough taint to kill them instantly. It does mention that there are bodies discovered with more taint than anything ever witnessed.
Whether or not you want it, here's my two cents on the Taint issue. The developers and the basic setting of the game makes it rather clear that humanity is evolving in at least two directions: stalwart/nova and mentalist/psion. This evolution should take thousands of years but the three events have accelerated the process for some humans. In return for the quick boost of power some of the evolved humans get a quick boost of negative traits that would normally be weeded out through natural selection. So like the game says, Taint is a reflection of humanity evolving too quickly, a side affect of an "incomplete" evolution. It's as simple as that and there's no need to make it more complex.

Now, IMHO, Chrysalis is a method to compensate for Taint, like a way of completing the evolution process. Granted, whomever goes through the process is accepting and embracing the idea they are now a human thousands of years ahead of their friends and families.

Simply put: Taint isn't some disease, it's the price of quick power and Chrysalis is a method of paying back that price.

Of course, I could be totally wrong.

Quote:

Sounds like kimotheorpy to me.Isn't that a cure for cancer?If 50% of all novas are killed durring the prosses, then only dangerous, desperate or delusional would use it. But that doesn't stop it from being a cure, it just makes the cure dangerous, but so is taint. Note some novas are to be locked away forever.They can't be released so, the options are this, wait until we have something better,death or take a risk.Can you honestly say no one would risk death for their freedom?

Quote:
Originally posted by Signy Malory:
Sounds like kimotheorpy to me.Isn't that a cure for cancer?If 50% of all novas are killed durring the prosses, then only dangerous, desperate or delusional would use it. But that doesn't stop it from being a cure, it just makes the cure dangerous, but so is taint. Note some novas are to be locked away forever.They can't be released so, the options are this, wait until we have something better,death or take a risk.Can you honestly say no one would risk death for their freedom?
Chemotherapy isn't like that. Chemotherapy is more akin to a fever: the human body is changed from an environment where the virus/cancer can't survive but not extreme enough to kill the patient. Unfortunately, chemotherapy really isn't a cure it's just an attempt to control cancer. We won't be able to cure cancer until we find a way for the very things we rely on (oxygen, iron, etc) to stop creating free radicals and other carcinegous things.

Quote:

And last but not least, if this is the event you are referring to, then if you go by canon, you couldn't possibly see it. It is clearly stated that no precog could see what happened. The nature of the event disrupts everything in the quantum and sub-quantum medium for a period of time, making any attempt to pass through the August 2122 barrier impossible.
I've heard about this. Isn't any attempt at precognition blocked during and after this time period?

I think it was, one had to relearn their skills a bit.If there was a point in time in witch you couldn't see into the future,with agroup of people who can reliably seen into the future..Wouldn't they pick up on this thing before it happened? Think of it, if walking down a path and you see the horrisen,and you still walk down the path.But the Horison doesn't move?

I think it has t be one of two things.THe makers of aberrant were smoking crack and did not put enough thought into precogs, or one must learn how to see around the things bloking them.If one can learn to see around a precognition block,having the power to see it a few hundred years in the future one could learn to adapt before it happened.Unless precogs can only see the time frame of their "quantum" level.

So, we are left with novas who can see hundred of years,both in the past in the future..Who can see not only pre-Galetea, but pre-Dr. Hamersmith..But they can't see post The Venezuelan Phenomenon?Yes, precogs can learn to see around the The Venezuelan Phenomenon..It just is harder.

I think that The Venezuelan Phenomenon put more quantum out there, making it harder for those pesky sub-quantum types.

It doesn't matter what makes the wall. There is a wall there, and precogs can't see past it. I have always taken that to mean all precogs. You can't see over it, around it, or through it. It effects the fundemental nature of precognition, and I would hazard to guess, Time Travel.

Quote:
I think that The Venezuelan Phenomenon put more quantum out there, making it harder for those pesky sub-quantum types.
On the contrary, I recall Process 418 put out an equal amount of energy, assuming energy was outputted at all. All three "evolutions" were equally represented in the wake of process, leading me to believe it was a repeat of Dr. Hammersmith's original experiment (plus Whitey and Mercer's commentary). The Psions were probably not affected because they are truly artificial Inspired/evolved humans. Natural mentalists/psionics/whatever most likely experienced the same boost that stalwarts/novas and daredevils felt.

And it can't be said enough: daredevils rule.

Quote:
Originally posted by Preston:
It effects the fundemental nature of precognition, and I would hazard to guess, Time Travel.
Agreed. If we really want to analyze it, the explosion most likely directly affects the space and time, making it an easy place for Mercer to jump to and from and would most likely screw with space/time manipulators like Ashnod.

Regardless, the very fabric of existance is/was affected Hammersmith, whoever in Venezuela, and (to a lesser extent) Dougal/Mal did their respective experiments.

Quote:
Sounds like kimotheorpy to me.Isn't that a cure for cancer?[/QB]
This isn't something where you walk into it and get treatment. This is something where someone screws with the fabric of the universe, and it's effects ripple throughout everything.

Quote:
What makes this one so diffrent in it's effects on precognition?
How do you know it is any different? It is closer to the Hammersmith explosion than Mal's, as Mal's was only Quantum based. There were no powers before Hammersmith, so no one could say how a precog would have seen the event.

All I know is that it was the major plotline in Trinity for a couple years and everyone was guessing what would happen. The characters in Trinity believed that the earth could have possibly been destroyed, as well as a few other options. It was like Trinity's version of Time of Judgement.

IF you want me toI can send you a more detailed write-up of The Venezuelan Phenomenon.

Archived