[OpNet] Elites, elites and the world.

Trooper

A very nice person here asked me what my views on elites were so I thought I would oblige.

Elites (with the capital E) indicates employees of Devries International. We are, without hyperbole, simply the best there is that money can buy.

Those who may refer to themselves as elites, but are not employees of Devries, are simply quantum powered mercenaries. While capable in their own right they do not have the training, backing, or sense of esprit de corps that Elites do.

As to what we do: We engage in one of the oldest pastimes, warfare. We do so on behalf of those how have more monentary resources than they do military. We do so without political or religious agenda. Since we have no extremist philosophy we are often able to do the job without unnecessary brutality. This profesionalism allowes Devries to continue doing business. Yes, our lawyers are excellent and we tread careful ground but if we were engaging in random attrocities you can be rest assured we wouldn't be in business for long.

What we do is bloody and violent. But it is also necessary. We have allowed a number of smaller third-world nations to stand up to first-world bullying.

Thank you.

I believe in what Devries does. That's why I'm still employed by the company. I agree with company policy and am public in my agreement. I'm sorry I'm not some pissed-off little rebel that aches to let everyone know how angry he is at the world.

Have fun with that Kid Chaos. You may have dropped the "Kid" part, but it's still pretty obvious.

Trooper, is there any crime against humanity you wouldn't commit without any other justification provided you were paid enough money and could keep your ass out of the Haag? Anyone you wouldn't kill with a calm sense of professionalsim? The pope? President Portmann?

Your mother?

I told you before what the difference was between us. Its not age or anger.

Absolutely. There are any number of missions I won't take.

I'm not a saint. My livelihood is death. I understand that and do no try to white-wash it. But I still have some limits I will not cross. In your eyes this likely makes me a hypocrite.

Hypocrite? No I save that for t-rats and politicians. I think it makes you a very useful tool to the Devries Corporations. Pun intended.

My livelihood is convincing someone offering work that I can do their deed without them realizing its for my reasons not theirs. Death isn't strictly a part of the contract. I'm not a hitman.

Not usually anyway.

I thought it was cynics that were a dime a dozen?

Maybe you're right. I'm sure your clarity of vision is so much greater. Who wouldn't trust the thoughts of a man that helps third world countries to stand up by first advising them on how to wipe out the internal dissenters seeking political reform. In comparison all I am is someone that has opinions that didn't originate in a public relations department.

So in your spare time do you raise dogs like Pursuer or just manage your slums like Stryker?

• 2 months later...

No kidding!

What is it with this whole tin soldier thing? I mean basically a nova gets paid a ton of money to walk into a place and tear it up. Yes I know there are other jobs that get offered and its not all war, war, war, but that is the back bone of the elite life. You go and kick the living crap out of someone/something and then get paid. I'm sure there's some nova out there that really has to have this kind of outlet. I'm sure there's some nova that needs it and this give them a way to get what they need so they don't rip up Manhatten or kill people indiscriminately on a whim. But there can't be that many novas like that. Novas come randomly from the population so that means there can't be that many damaged novas that absolutely need this kind of thing.

So what's the deal?

"Damaged"?

The concept of the Mercenary has been around for almost as long as human civilization. People tend to gravitate to occupations they are skilled at. If that occupation is combat?

My only problem with the elite phenomenon is not so much the mercenaries, but some of the contractors. And by contractor I do not mean DeVries or groups like it.

Originally Posted By: Leliel
"Damaged"?
Yeah. Damaged. I don't buy into that mercenary crap. I don't buy it because having a node means being one of the proveably gifted in the world and you're no longer competing, most of the time, with the rest of the planet. You're competing with other novas and mostly because the love/hate extremes of the planet's relationship with any particular nova doesn't allow for a middle ground.

And I'm a little surprised someone with a "T" bent in their philosophy would offer up the human history of mercenaries as if it explained something about nova choosing to become soldiers. Which I don't have a problem with other than not getting it. Don't really have a problem with the customers either. You offer a service and somebody is going to take you up on what you're offering, what they think you're offering or what they think they can get you to offer. That's life in the big city.

I mentioned the history of mercenaries since it seemed relevant to the matter. Also, many of the traditional motivations that drew baselines into mercenary work apply to the One Race as well.

Desire to fight, Greed, Adrenaline rush, Power....

All of these and more apply to both baseline and nova as well.

What I personally object to as a Terat is the use of Elites to serve baseline causes, and especially to kill other members of the One Race.

Since that's not likely to change in the near future you would probably be better off working to meet the needs of the novas that get into this sort of garbage rather than expressing disapproval on the clients. This mercenary trash isn't even legal but somehow manages to go on anyway.

Oh, I have to say this topic is most amusing. My, I wish i had the time to explain such matter, I think I could important a few things, but I will settle with saying some basic things.

One the none-mercenary is a new idea in war fair.At least compared to the mercenary. Before you can have a non-mercenary you must have a solid since of nationalism, witch is an idea that only dates back a few hundred years. Even with such notions mercenaries were the norm on battle fields until the out break of industrial based war.

The non-mercenary could arguably been fading from the world long before novas were around. By this I mean that most industrial (rich) nations had armies based on those who joined for many reasons. They volunteered for this task. Most of them were poor, and as such it could be said they joined for the money. Sounds like a mercenary to me.

Oh look, it's attempting to wax humorous! How cute.

You are so droll my dear. But sadly, I am going to have to decline your oh so generous attempt at a pass. I know you’re crushed to be turned down by the magnificence that is the Outrageous One but I gave up Sushi and appetizers long ago.

I'm afraid you'll have to go troll for Xanadu elsewhere my pretty.

That's it? That's your comeback? Your response to being crushed by my rejection is to run back to your wife?

Oh you poor little girl. And here I thought you have a little fight in you, a little spunk. Well it wouldn't be the first time I've been dissapointed by a woman.

Oh the backpedaling is so adorable darling. Although I am hardly suprised. I mean I can only imagine how that little wifey of yours would love the fact that you threw yourself at a complete stranger, and a man at that.

Tell me pooky, are you happy at home, does that little soccer mommy you've shacked up with do it for you? Really? Does she make you feel like your on fire?

I thought not.

Originally Posted By: Roderick Peep
Oh the backpedaling is so adorable darling. Although I am hardly suprised. I mean I can only imagine how that little wifey of yours would love the fact that you threw yourself at a complete stranger, and a man at that.

Tell me pooky, are you happy at home, does that little soccer mommy you've shacked up with do it for you? Really? Does she make you feel like your on fire?

I thought not.

You. Rock. Dude.

I won't even call you 'Bo Peep'. smile

Would it shock you to find out that you are not the center of my world and that gender is issue I no longer really consider? You know sex isn't even why I am with her, I would say love but that doesn't really apply to me either, it is something else. You most likely wouldn't understand, but then again you think of beauty and lock it up in a physical form. You think of pleasure and stuff it into small box.

I have to tell you this much, you do not even know why I call you a copy of something that was once lovely. I honestly hope you know, but if you do not I honestly think you would not understand.

As for my feelings.She is fire. She makes me feel real. It is the only way to be. Sailor boi she is the only woman I have slept with, trust me when I say she sets blazes within me hotter than any fire you will get from the "beef cakes" you are drooling over.

Sorry for the delay, I had to attend to an interesting meeting on micro banking loans and the impact they have on third world revolutions.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Roderick Peep
Hey now there is nothing wrong with Elites. All sweaty and grunting and buldging with muscles!

Some of those slabs of beefcake can invade my territory any day!

You know, it's nice that folks have reactions other than "you murderers!" every once in awhile. Thanks.

Archived