[OpNet] WWSD

Satyr

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Originally posted by Regina Newcastle:
Not me.

Let me back you up a step; for starters, I don't believe in any "spiritual" abilities, and I'm frankly a little embarrassed for people who do.

Then I'm afraid that we can't discuss this. The spiritual aspect of many people's lives are very important to them, and to their sense of awareness. Removing the imparct of spiritual "abilities" from the conversation means that you're not addressing all the sides of sentience.

Quote:
Not in any meaningful way. You would disagree with me because you're originating from a completely different moral compass, and as I said before, such an undertaking would be little more than an exercise in pedantry unless you were to put it into action. And I'm not yet prepared to start a culling purge. I guess you'll have to take me by my word that by my reckoning, it's all very mathematical. However, I'm presently the arbiter of nobody's fate.

That's too bad. I was really interested in what you had to say on the issue. smile And I don't mean that as a mockery - I was truly interested in the hypothetical discussion that would surely follow.

Quote:
Intolerable is a provisional subjective, of course, but society requires consensus to function.
From the beginning, I wasn't advocating murdering baselines, no matter how ignorant, in much the same way that I wouldn't eradicate warring tribes of chimpanzees. However, I also would not permit said chimpanzees to sup at my table and threaten my life.
Did I say that I would allow them to threaten my life? I believe that I have been very clear that I think that CoMA has the right to say whatever they want, so long as they don't try to attack anyone.

And no, you haven't advocated killing baselines, just almost equated them with chimps. By doing so, it reinforces the belief that some novas have regarding our "rights" regarding baselines. We don't have the right to kill or punish them for mouthing off, no matter what Divis Mal may say.

Quote:
Originally posted by Carver:
Then I'm afraid that we can't discuss this. The spiritual aspect of many people's lives are very important to them, and to their sense of awareness. Removing the imparct of spiritual "abilities" from the conversation means that you're not addressing all the sides of sentience.
Not at all. After all, my view of the world accounts for cognitive dissonance, delusions, and mental illness.
Just because something is important to someone doesn't make it real or factual, any more than believing you are Napoleon makes it so.

Quote:
That's too bad. I was really interested in what you had to say on the issue. smile And I don't mean that as a mockery - I was truly interested in the hypothetical discussion that would surely follow.
Alright. Start a new Topic and we'll discuss it.

Quote:
Did I say that I would allow them to threaten my life? I believe that I have been very clear that I think that CoMA has the right to say whatever they want, so long as they don't try to attack anyone.

And no, you haven't advocated killing baselines, just almost equated them with chimps. By doing so, it reinforces the belief that some novas have regarding our "rights" regarding baselines. We don't have the right to kill or punish them for mouthing off, no matter what Divis Mal may say.
And I respectfully disagree (to an extent), but that's an issue for the aforementioned hypothetical topic.

In general I do not care what baselines say. There is however the concept of incitement to commit violence. If they ever try and do anything about their whacko beliefs, I reserve the right to scatter their atoms over the landscape.

The PC Utopia Wannabes of the 90's had a point about "hate speech" (albeit they took it to an extreme). The question is what is that extreme?

Archived