Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - A Count in Kinshasa [5.11]

Quantum Fire

Time Period: One Week After Jungle Storms

The Count Raoul Orzaiz, one of the most charming and persuasive nova's in existence, and a personal friend of Divis Mal, as well as a trust member of Teragen. Unlike many of his fellows, the count remains devoid of aberrations, though his quantum and powers have grown somewhat over the last 20 years, he remains a nova athlete as he calls himself, but his charm and poise have grown, and he still tends to remain poised and self confident.

Today, he sent a message to Darrik, sense his regular appearance in the city of Kinshasa, and invitation to a small party in his private estate in the city, and a chance to talk.. with an invitation to bring a date or two if he likes also. In the city, sense Utopia was a little less welcome in Einherjar's back yard, at least the Count could have a little more privacy.. and he remained obediant to the laws set down by Einherjar's government.

Darrik had recognized soon enough from the message that it likely was meant for Shadowheart, given his public appearances as such. The vibe he tended to give off from that time had been the kind that might appeal to Terats. On the other hand, Orzaiz might merely be contacting a fellow nova, one who might have similar comparisons to the good Count too. And given the general coverage of Kinshasa and the Congo, Gwen could have some fun for herself too, already feeling cooped up in the submarine.

In any case, Darrik popped out with Gwen and Agatha a small distance away from the front gates, his eufiber set in a semi-formal attire of cashmere pants and dark green collared shirt. Gwen was wearing a long sea blue dress that accentuated her curves quite enticingly well, Darrik noted appreciatively. Agatha's eufiber took a form-fitting crimson dress similar to Gwen's.

It was a funny thing, being able to walk down the streets without as much worry. The same old drawing of eyes, sexuality shifts, dissolved couples and the like followed in their wake.

It wasn't completely 100% safe, but only a fool would attack someone on the counts personal estate in Kinshasa, that could piss of not just him, but also Enherjar, and no one was so stupid as to want to push the Chief of Chiefs into a situation where he had Teragen had such common cause, so it was a relatively safe location for a small get together of invited guests. The Count met each of the several dozen guests, all nova's, personally, with his lovely wife, Charlotte Holden, also called the Ghost Countess, making one of her incredibly rare appearances at his side.

Everyone invited was a nova, some of them were like Count for that matter, devoid of aberrations or any hint of strangeness, but not all of them, in fact, the majority of them had fur or feathers, wings, golden skin or moved with inhuman grace, nothing overstated, Epiphany would actually not stand out at all in this crowd, outside of her exceptional charisma and beauty.

"So, the renowned and enigmatic Shadowheart at last graces us with your presence, with a lovely lady on each arm, welcome to my humble jungle abode." With charm and suave he kissed the hands of each of the women on either side of him. "I must say, you have excellent taste."

At which point Gwen smiled slightly and Agatha raised an eyebrow, both of them turned slightly to look at Charlette, who smiled slightly. "Don't worry about me ladies, he looks plenty, but he's never had reason to roam sense we made our relationship official."

"And why should I?" The Count smiled at Charlette and took her hand. "Please, join the party, drink, dance, listen to the music, there will be plenty of time to talk later this evening."

"Of course." Darrik agreed, though he had to add with superb panache, "Though I should repeat your words back, for you are quite blessed to have your wife. I think we'll explore the festivities now, if you will..." As Agatha and Gwen followed him towards the gatherings, Darrik assessed some details that he noted, the deep levels of his people sense kicking in by reflex. Orzaiz was every inch the gracious and excellent host, very good at keeping his cards to his chest... not that Darrik couldn't work through it- but a good deal work would be required, should as the Count hinted, there be a serious discussion later.

Interestingly, Charlotte Holden, though she too hid it well, seemed nervous. As if the public appearance was discomforting her.

But that was bare nanoseconds of thought, and he had more than a great deal of time to share with his lovers and the guests. "I think music and dancing is reasonable for a start... but what do you think?" Darrik inquired of his girlfriends, with a dazzling smile.

Gweneve looked around a moment, then smiled broadly. "Il est bon d'être, je commençais à ressentir un peu étroit dans le sous-marin, ne pas que je ne suis pas reconnaissants et désireux de rester pour l'amour des enfants, mais il se sent presque comme une prison. Je vous remercie de m'apporter aime, viennent, Let's dance et profitez nous-mêmes."

Translation: It's good to be out, I was starting to feel a little cramped in the submarine, not that I'm not grateful and willing to stay for the sake of the children, but it feels almost like a prison. Thank you for bringing me, love, come, let's dance and enjoy ourselves.

Agatha looked around herself intrigued and interested in what was going on. "Wow, it's like the who's who of the more respectable teragen crowd, though I see a lot of other nova's here that aren't quite associated with Teragen, I wonder what sort of business deals, intrigue and other discussions will be going down here tonight."

Darrik nodded, aware of the likely plotting, scheming and other behind the scenes discussions that would be prevalent now and soon. "No doubt some worth our interest... but let's enjoy ourselves for now. Just remember, all of us have ears for hearing as well as decoration-" his fingers traced the whorls of Agatha and Gwen's ears, "-although it's quite good decoration if you ask me. And three makes better for a tango."

He led the two forth to the dance floor, and they began a sultry tango indeed.

The dance went on for long enough, and as the three of them came to a spot at last, both of his girls were panting a bit, with arms around his neck, but more then that, about a dozen unattached woman, and half that many men were presently surrounding them, all of them talking and trying to get Darrik's attention, words to the effect of that was marvelous, he was an excellent dancer, and just about all of them asking him for a dance themselves.

Dark, seductive, even maybe with an edge of danger about him, he'd more or less half seduced the crowd already, and the women closest to him were all but stripping their clothes off to get his attention, or interest. To most of them, both the males and the females expressing interest, he seemed to be a dark dream come to life, and his movements were enough to give dreamy thoughts of what he'd be like in bed.

It wasn't intentional of course, but lack of intention didn't help Darrik much, he drew interest like honey drew flies, especially when he relaxed a bit, and in a crowd like this, that could be both good and bad.

And there it was. Darrik found himself almost overwhelmed, though he gave no sign of it, his face merely a slightly surprised but calm mask. Of course, he was not a homosexual, but in general the sheer number and nova-ness of his newfound admirers shocked him. The Apotheosis had practically bound Agatha and Gwen to Darrik, though that had been well buried under true love- sometimes the power boost came as a curse in his case rather than a blessing.

He glanced at Gwen and Agatha, who were more than a little uncomfortable with the upsurge of suitors, and mouthed 'Get some rest.' He could handle the crowd here. Then he turned back to the men and women and raised a hand for silence. They immediately obeyed. "Thank you for the compliments. I'm sure I can accommodate you all if you wish dances. However, it'll be two at a time and a bit shorter, to get you all in."

Darrik knew they would be mildly disappointed at those conditions, but he flashed a dark smile and extended a hand to two of the closest women. "If you two madmoiselles, please?" The overjoyed two who were indicated each took a hand and they whirled away.

And so it was with the other men and the women. Darrik matched sets and mixed it up, two men, a man and a women, two females... and so on and so forth in rapid progressions. Apparently, such lengths demanded close and rapid dancing that at moments seemed like the attentive dancers were competing to arouse Darrik's interest in them.

He knew Agatha and Gwen would be glowering from the sidelines, and he didn't blame them. Eventually, it came down to the last pair- but then as Darrik was graciously ushering off a leonine man with golden fur, and an inhumanly graceful emerald-skinned woman, another figure stepped up and requested a dance. There was two notable differences in this case.

One, the woman's interest was there but subdued and mixed with appraisal and curiosity. Two, she was one of those famous beauties up there with Bombshell and Harmonic, infamous for her company. So Darrik assented to a dance with Narcosis, who seemed more perceptive than the rest.

"You're not exactly the intentional Don Juan, are you Shadowheart?" Due to her age and experience, this was no question she understood. "Not so much, anymore." Darrik commented, "But that effect on others I have had to live with. The novas with, well, nova-class appearances all do. Mine is just more pronounced and less under control. I hope it doesn't impede the party, I'd hate to be a problematic guest for Count Orzaiz."

Narcosis chuckled and smiled wryly. "I doubt Raoul will be much concerned. He understands it well."

"Indeed, some members of Teragen have even chosen to embrace that effect willingly, making it a part of their further evolution." It was the count approaching as he spoke, a glass of champagne in his hand, and handing Darrik a glass of his own, and he smiled, it was clear some of his superhuman charisma was in order as he turned to the crowd of dancers and some of the musicians.

"Ladies, Gentlemen, feel free to continue dancing and enjoying yourselves, tonight Shadowheart graced us with his presence and beauty, let us now allow him and his ladies to move on to other matters." He held out a open hand to Gwen and Agatha, and Charlette came up beside them, encouraging them to join her as the three of them moved to join the three most poweful nova's in the room, there were a few envious glances as they did.

He then turned and began to lead them to a quieter room. "I would introduce folks, but it seems you have met most of them."

Suddenly thankful for the escape- Darrik tipped back a portion of the rich, finely aged champagne and smiled graciously. "Danced with them too. Thank you for the excellent glass." A note of seriousness was in his voice, as he recognized here coming was the to be told reason for his invitation. "How many actively belong to the Teragen?"

"Here.. tonight? About a third, another third are exploring the options, the rest are mostly just here on my invitation, or to spy on me and my fellow terats, more or less, I still invited them, better the spy before you the spy you never see. Now, would you like retire for a quieter discussion or is it more to your taste to talk here, out in the open, shadowheart? Or do you prefer Darrik?"

Well, given the gadding about of late, Darrik didn't doubt that Orzaiz would have determined his name somehow or other. And the meat of the point, Darrik knew, would be coming soon, and he had to be focused fully on playing his game of cat and mouse with the Count over facts and truths. "Darrik will do. A private discussion would be better as well. Can't underestimate other novas and their senses."

"Very good, if you would follow me." The count lead Darrik and the others though several rooms, and upon entering one of the more private rooms, he hit a switch on one side of the room, and there was a soft humm of sorts for a moment, then a light came on. One thing Darrik would notice however is that any sounds of the party from outside were now completely silenced, only the sounds within the room could be heard.

The room was actually a very large, and there were several individuals int he room themselves. "Sin Eater, Chang.. Carnal, thank you for waiting for us.. " He turned to Darrik and his ladies. "Welcome to my sanctuary within the city, while the generator continues no sound can escape this place."

The Mirror Queen sat in the room, feeling oddly alone despite sharing it with two other people. Though Sin-Eater and Carnal were seated on the other side nearby each other, only Sin-Eater was much of a conversationalist thus far, and where Chang was concerned that conversation composed mostly of acidic sarcasm and subtle barbs.

Ever since Meh’Lindi jumped from The Harvesters to The Mirror Queen’s faction of the Pandaimonion, Sin-Eater seemed to have grown suspicious about her motives. Here and now she saw a chance to win over the heart of a young Terat, and she intended to give The Mirror Queen no chance at all to get in on the action. She was content to let Sin-Eater have the floor and be as charming and seductive as she wished. She saw no reason to fight over Carnal. The battle of hearts and minds – as Narcosis liked to term it – was not won with a single victory, and he would likely want to speak to her about something sooner or later.

She felt unfairly done by, though. People had left The Pandaimonion, too, and The Mirror Queen did not begrudge it. Terats made their own choices. Meh’Lindi was tainted, yes, but self-hate drove her to The Harvesters, not a philosophical hunger to act out the Bible’s more colourful passages. Sin-Eater and other Harvesters had visited the Terat in her rather odd choice of home in Ibiza: the basement of ‘Meh’lindi’s Bowls and Grill’. So far she seemed happy to try her various limbs at weaving.

There was more a Nova could do with teeth and claws than kill. The Mirror Queen felt the world needed to see that, and see the results of their efforts. So far, Meh’Lindi agreed, much to Sin-Eater’s disgust. Leviathan will be cross with me when he hatches, she thought idly. And if he’s not, he certainly will be when Sin-Eater is done with him, if she hasn’t completely gone over to Orzais by then.

The Mirror Queen had been silent for some time now, allowing Sin-Eater and Carnal to talk while she listened to the party outside and the world beyond even that. She knew of or had met many of the guests at some point, most of them in another of Orzais’ parties or at a Pandaimonion event in the Rainbow Room. Their talk was not especially interesting until she heard Orzais and Narcosis talking with Darrik.

She listened to him as he made his way around the party, falling as still as death. The sound of people slipping from their clothes to throw themselves at the newcomer made her lip quirk in a private smile. From the glance Sin-Eater tossed her way, it seemed she thought it mockery.

“Did we say something amusing?” She asked, smiling a much less sincere smile.

“Unlikely,” The Mirror Queen replied, and returned to silence.

Not long after that, Darrik made his entrance along with the Count, and Chang looked up to study this remarkable man for whom all the girls and all the boys were so eager to strip. He seemed to be entirely worth it, beautiful beyond words, almost beyond song, though she felt her mind racing to seek the song to do it. Her body came alive in moments, and she straightened up in her chair, suddenly uncomfortable.

Chang felt her shaft stir and twitch. It threatened to bulge against her long gown, but she mastered herself and calmed her rushing pulse. Idly she put one hand across her chest, keeping her cock against her body and under her third breast, though it had swelled a little and now pushed more between her centre and left breasts.

Well, now, she thought, this should be interesting.

The Count pushed a button on the wall, and all of a sudden Chang could hear nothing outside the room. The silence came on so suddenly that she winced. Birdsong echoed in her ears, along with the rush of a distant waterfall. The silence felt queer to her, and unnatural. Still, she understood the need for it. The world was a far cry from welcoming to the Teragen.

“Silence,” she said, “for me, the rarest of dishes. No surprise I’d be served it here, Raoul.” The Count gave a nod, ever the picture of courtesy. The Mirror Queen turned to Darrik. “And welcome to you, though I’m sure you’re growing quite bored of female attention by now.”

Sin-Eater Darrik had heard of, and Carnal was a clear unknown to Darrik, though his presence here suggested he might be a rising star of some import. But White Rain.... Darrik found his eyes quite interested and studying her for a long moment. Comparative to Epiphany, and Butch, and others with such things as wings and bug eyes- an additional breast and an over-sized hermaphrodite cock seemed to pale beside those. Not to mention Darrik saw how they blended male and female in an attractive way.

For the first time, he entertained the thought of searching a way to shift his gender back and forth through quantum. But he set that aside for now, and courteously nodded to all. "Well, thank you, though I consider it less boredom, more wondering if I have too much of a good think. I am Darrik, or as you may know, Shadowheart. I appreciate that you find my presence meriting leaders of the Teragen... and I imagine why... but I can not know for certain until you kindly explain."

"Welcome, Shadowheart, besides extending an invitation to join us, at our heart, Teragen seeks to free nova's from baseline limits and chains, but we also seek to prevent the exploitation of our own, which is really what this about. The mother hunters, who hunt nova mothers and their children, we would seek alliance with you and yours with regards to protecting fertile nova's" He nodded slightly in Gwen's direction, sense Gwen and Agatha had accompanied Darrik. "and nova children, something that even Sin Eater and the Mirror Queen agree with as being important, even with other tensions."

Sin Eater gave Chang a slight smile, she could work with the other woman after all, even with the tensions between them, some of which were sexual after all, Sin Eater herself was somewhat beautiful then mortal (About mega-2), but she could also become more hideous, a horror beyond human imagination, sense her last Chrysalis, she was terrifying in that form. Not that she had used it more then a few times, but it had certainly caused some of the harvesters complaining that she was too human in appearance to back off, and back off fast. Still, while she was slightly annoyed with Chang at the moment, she wasn't antagonistic about it, Levathon might have been, but Sin Eater was willing to let that kind of thing go... eventually.

"Carnal here has made it a project of his to rescue and protect nova children from those who would harm them, as well as appose other forms of harm and enslavement, he's a 2nd generation nova himself, of Teras... but as the most active member of the Children, in that area, I thought he might be a welcome addition to this meeting."

Darrik crossed his fingers while giving everyone a mask of a speculative look. Most interesting. He would have to put it out to the siblings, though there were very few who he expected to say yes or even consider the offer. "I can certainly agree with that sort of rescue venture, and I will put the offer out to those I know... they are very much independent-minded. I will consider your offer of membership as well. At the moment I can promise some information on Proteus and their motherhunting operations soon."

The offer, tempted him. He had power, which they had reason enough to court him for... but he wondered if he could get a personal question of curiosity answered. "Relating to the matter of my allies... I would inquire as to if the 2nd generation nova Norman is known to be among the Teragen?"

Ah, Count, thought The Mirror Queen, friend or no, you’ve always got those knives sharpened to stick in my back, haven’t you? It did not bother her. He was the consummate manipulator and had taught her most of what she understood about the games of the Teragen. Not explicitly, of course, but through positioning and instructive encounters.

She understood the subtext of his words easily enough. He buried them in the middle, ‘nova children, something that even Sin Eater and the Mirror Queen agree with as being important, even with other tensions.’ Translation: ‘These two are more concerned with their petty rivalry than the concerns of the next generation, but I, Count Orzais, am not so inclined.’ Such things were the Count’s speciality. It was why he endeavoured to hold the parties as often as not; it allowed him to frame any debate in his favour just through the power of a carefully worded introduction.

The Mirror Queen let it go uncontested. She often did. Learning to understand the games played amongst the Pantheon in no way increased her desire to play them. But it turned them from humiliation into an amusement, and another way to appreciate the wonders of Nova.

She glanced over at Carnal when Orzais spoke of him. The world was his oyster, it seemed. All evidence coming out of Bounty’s nursery spoke to Mal’s intention for the children to be brought up in Teras from the day of their birth. If successful, it seemed almost certain that they would replace the current Pantheon the moment Mal felt them able. Or otherwise, they would earn a place on it through raw power.

When Darrik spoke, The Mirror Queen’s attentions flicked back to him and remained, even though she idly paid attention to the tremors of the people outside and the regular beat of their feet upon the dance floor. She had no need of sound to tell what was happening. People betrayed more in the rhythm of their footsteps than they knew, especially in a group.

"Relating to the matter of my allies... I would inquire as to if the 2nd generation nova Norman is known to be among the Teragen?"

“Why, yes he is,” The Mirror Queen said, focusing her glowing eyes, the left indigo and the right bright scarlet, upon him. “He is known as Surge for the most part, and leads his own faction in the Teragen. Mostly children, though I believe he’s recruited one or two other young and excitable things who may have erupted recently.”

When he was introduced, Carnal cleared his throat and stood up to address the assemblage, beginning with a slight bowing nod of his hairless head. He had an exotic look to him, blending caucasian and middle eastern features flawlessly. He appearance was definitely augmented by his quantum signature beyond the pale of baselines, but among this grouping he seemed rather plain, if impressively dressed. His suit was immaculate and perfectly fitted. The jacket and trousers were cut from a dark olive cloth with a cream colored shirt tucked behind a light brown vest and accented by a necktie the color of brushed gold, all in the most couture style of course. Small golden earrings and cufflinks brought out his golden amber eyes but aside from his too symmetrical features and poreless skin, he looked remarkably untainted. There was however, something dangerous about him, something sinister hiding just beneath his tastefully restrained smile.

"Thank you good Count for the introduction. It is an honor to be included amongst such luminaries of our kind. As Raoul has mentioned, I feel that protecting our future should be our primary concern, one that transcends lines of factions and allegiance. Fortunately my parents had the foresight to hide their pregnancy, though in the end, it did not save them from our enemies. Many others however do not share such sheltered anonymity. I'm well aware of my privileged upbringing and would like to pay my blessings forward. Although I am young, and humbled by the present company, I believe I may be of value to our shared interests."

At the mention of Norman he looked to the Count with a casual glance that yet spoke volumes, the main thrust of which was the question. How much do they know of Surge and what transpired at the Nursery...how much to reveal now?

"I see. Thank you." Darrik said in response to White Rain when she had told him about Norman. Did Cora know though? Quite possibly, and it certainly explain Norman's tight-lipped attitude towards his history and such. Still, with the wheels in his head turning, he decided to add another question. "If you see me as a Terat... what do you see?" The philosophical question had a point. In a community where the shades of ideology and metaphor set factions, seeing what they were looking for in his joining- a warrior, a spokesman- what role the elders wished for him to play for them in the scheme of things...

The Mirror Queen gave no obvious response when Carnal spoke. His words were true enough, bland in a way that defied anything but simplistic agreement. She noticed him glance over to Orzais when Surge’s name came up, and wondered what that might indicate. It could hardly be a surprise to hear a Pantheon member talking about one of her peers.

Darrik seemed quite uninterested in Carnal’s words, preferring a common line of enquiry. The Mirror Queen wondered what he might have heard before coming to them. From the sound of things he was short on details. Not a huge surprise. Wherever he came from, Darrik was not from the Nursery, and few outside the Teragen knew much about the organization and even less about their beliefs.

She gave Sin-Eater a moment to offer an answer, but saw the woman fixing her with a calculating stare. For now she would listen. No doubt Sin-Eater planned some sort of play on Darrik’s allegiance, and Orzais most likely saved his own for later as well. The last word in a man’s ear often carried more weight than the first.

The Mirror Queen considered how best to frame her reply. After a moment, she leaned forward, “I believe you misunderstand, Darrik. How we see you is comparatively unimportant. How do you see yourself? The whole point of the Teragen is to allow Novas to learn more about their own nature and walk their own path, free of baseline interference or direction. The purpose of our factions is not to define you, but to help you define yourself while surrounded by others with the same broad goals. Are you angered by baseline interference in your life? Do the many crimes against our kind burn your cheeks and kindle a fire in your heart? Then Nova Vigilance will surround you with many others who feel the same way. Such is the purpose of our factions.

“As for Teras itself, how you feel about yourself is likewise paramount. Are you as beautiful as you seem, a paragon and marvel who personifies all that is wondrous in Nova? Or perhaps like myself a sign of things to come? Or like Sin-Eater over there, is your outward beauty a shield behind which a monstrous heart lurks, waiting for the right time to stir? You’ll notice she’s smiling,” The Mirror Queen said of Sin-Eater, who now wore a self-satisfied smile. “There’s nothing wrong with being a monster, Darrik. Not here. It’s about being who you are. And if you don’t know, well, we’ll do our best to help you change that.”

She relaxed back into her chair-self, wondering how her words might impact the young Nova, not to mention how Orzais would book end them.

"I see." Darrik knew that there were politics, but perhaps they wanted him to frame himself before trying to make a grab. He would have to think on that. In the meantime he turned his head to Carnal and inclined his head. "I apologize for not immediately, Carnal. Two things at once, one issue in my mouth at a time. Generally, yes, the future of novakind is one all factions look to, and- you've not talked to Sophia Rosseau and the Aberrants? You might find you'd have certainly common ground on that. Indeed, myself and my allies have been working with her on multiple occasions."

Sin Eater rose from her seat and moved toward the others, first to Orzaiz, giving her friend a smile before turning her gaze and attention onto Chang, and she approached the other woman directly, until she was right in front of her and she reached out to put her hand on Chang, though it didn't appear so on the surface of things, Chang would certainly notice the gentle stroke of her fingertips over... "Monster, Marvel, Portent, each of us are here within, and each of with seeds of the other, we all have our agenda's, and our own purposes, but the core of the philosophy of teras is here, if your interested in us at all Darrik." She leaned closer so as to allow Chang to hear her whisper. "I have nothing against you personally, Mirror Queen, simply the agenda of your faction, and your connection to that.. well, to Narcosis.. perhaps we can talk privately later.." The tone held a hint of promise to it, just a hint, as Sin Eater moved away, to approach Darrik.

"If you seek to understand the essence of taint and how it changes and evolves us, I certainly can help you further understand that, young nova, I have a great deal to teach, my young student here.. " She gestured to Carnal. "Has learned a good deal from me."

Ah, the mysterious Sophia Rosseau, thought The Mirror Queen, as Darrik addressed Carnal. The name popped up frequently in messages and information she received. Details were sketchy bordering on non-existent, though. Darrik did not seem to be aware of the issues between Aberrants and Teragen, though. There was a lake of bad blood between the two groups now, though most of it seemed to be born from Geryon’s hatred of Andre Corbin. After some of the stunts he pulled with Epoch, The Mirror Queen doubted that those bridges could be easily rebuilt. Does it make me a poor Terat to have toasted at the news of Epoch’s death, I wonder?

Then Sin-Eater spoke and rose from her seat. The Mirror Queen followed her movements across the room, studying her closely.

She saw the twitch of muscle in Sin-Eater’s shoulders and arm, already knew she would be reaching out to touch her before her arm had moved. When the Terat traced her fingertips across The Mirror Queen’s central nipple, though, she was genuinely surprised.

The touch held an odd tenderness that felt in part like a handshake – respectful, appreciative, and assuredly non-combative. The Mirror Queen saw Raoul watching from the periphery of her vision, and wondered if he had talked Sin-Eater into this.

Sin-Eater hid a private word to The Mirror Queen underneath her affirmation of the ways of Teras, and she appreciated it. The Mirror Queen’s path was devoid of hate and bitterness. Though she had a cautious streak several thousand miles long, she did not hold grudges.

The Mirror Queen watched as Sin-Eater skilfully directed Darrik’s attention to Carnal, before throwing a glance her way. There was expectation in Sin-Eater's eyes, a look that demanded a reply. The Mirror Queen offered a single, firm nod.

Sin-Eater would have her private talk, and they would see where they stood afterwards. For now she continued to hold her silence, and waited to see what Darrik and Carnal had to say for themselves.

Typhon watched Sin Eater's approach to White Rain with interest, noting her flirtatious subtext. He could not be certain if her interest in peacemaking was part of a feint or genuine attraction...most likely both but with a monster one could not be quite sure of what lay in wait beneath the surface...well, there were ways but one did not use such methods with a lover unless bidden. To do otherwise would be a breach of trust. Either way, he wondered if his lover and mentor would included him in the fun...after all, he had taught her a few things himself.

Private musings aside, he had been addressed and with a question at that. Turning his crystal clear gaze upon the attractive nova, Typhon allowed himself the pleasure of drinking in the beauty and presence Darrik presented. The auras of power surrounding the post-apotheosis was a heady thing, similar to the Chrysalis, yet more fundamental. The use of Taint, as Sin Eater had suggested was one key to enlightenment through Teras. Then of course, there was the Count. While many of the more inhuman Terats still harbored a grudge against the Count for keeping one foot in humanity, Typhon could see the wisdom in the approach. When fully expressed, one has an unmitigated effect upon one's environment. With no such safe setting to unfold, Novas who chose the path of Taint came into increased conflict with the morphogenic fields of mortals, creating a wake of static and even destruction. So long as baselines existed they shared the world. Surely there were monsters who favored genocide, but the fear of mutual destruction kept all but the most maddened from attempting it. Until such time as a true homeworld for Teras could be found, the Count stood at the gap, protecting his people from the terrified masses who would stamp us out given the slightest provocation. Historically speaking, worship could easily turn to hatred...something Darrik would do well to keep in mind.

"I'm afraid I have yet to know the pleasure of Miss Rouseau's acquaintance, nor her reclusive faction, having been until recently preoccupied with my own studies. I support what little I have heard however. Pax and his whores would see us all dead and disintegrated were it not for the world stage. That's why they use the mother-hunters. Utopia, the great Janus of our age..."

Raoul smiled a moment then turned to look to Darrik, and made a gesture with one hand to include everyone in the room. "So here you have it, a measure of our intent here, as well as a chance to see how we deal with one another, what questions do you, or your ladies have of us, Shadowheart?"

Darrik turned to glance at Agatha and Gwen. "Well, given that they've not been really entered into the conversation before.... it's only fair that they get some time to ask, yes?" His eyes focused on Carnal. "Though I wish to say first, that's a bit uncharitable. Pax, I can understand. Many Utopians would certainly leave in disgust if they learned of the dark underbelly."

"Then we should educate them..." Typhon answered darkly. "Find out where their loyalties truly lie. If they stay with full knowledge they become complicit in the crimes..."

Carnal's eyes passed briefly over Darrik's two gorgeous Nova escorts, then briefly at Sin Eater. Well...if she could have her fun...

"Now...I believe your were just about to introduce your fascinating companions. Greetings..." he gave a slight and chivalrous bow. "You had heard me introduced by my Terat epithet Carnal, and while I do enjoy living up to the moniker, you may if you wish address me by my given name, Typhon. At your service..."

If either or both of Darrik's dates extended their hands, Typhon would of course gently reciprocate the contact.

Gwen stepped forward and took his hand, as Agatha considered him for a long moment, then reached out and took his other hand, she wasn't as comfortable in this environment as Gwen and Darrik was, she had avoided contact with Teragen up tell now, but she was able to hide it well. Still, the amount of political maneuvering going on here had to be extremely high, and she was trained as a spy, so that meant adapting to different situations.

That was the shape of the night, actually, talk and discussion between Darrik and some other members of teragen, but the general gist of it was covered.

End of Thread

XP: 2 Standard, 2 Baseline, 2 Nova

Archived