[OpNet] Would you if you could?

Symmetry

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam Grey:
And enjoy retirement; I hear that shit is pretty cool if you don't end up wearing plaid pants and playin' shuffle board.
I'm decades away from that. For now I'm still trying to figure out where I fit in, and enjoying having pretty much all day to figure it out. Also, I've been reading up on international law as it applies to those who teleport. There's a shocking lack of agreement from one country to the next. Some places, I'd arrive and the law would look the other way. Other places, I'd be beheaded. Yuck.

Quote:
Originally posted by Flicker:
I've been reading up on international law as it applies to those who teleport. There's a shocking lack of agreement from one country to the next.
Do what us simple folk do: don't tell anyone you're popping in and keep yer head low. wink

Quote:
That just seems so. . . I don't know, risky, I guess. I mean, if I start breaking those laws, what's separating me from being like the Teragen?
Alright, go through customs at the airport and just skip the whole plane ride stuff and teleport to the airport in the other country. Or just fly to those whacky places where they'd kill you for flickering in. Or hire a lawyer; I hear you've got money. :P

Quote:
That just seems so. . . I don't know, risky, I guess. I mean, if I start breaking those laws, what's separating me from being like the Teragen?
That's almost funny, Flicker. Teragen are a totaly different animal than the criminal archtype. Sure, some of them are psychopathic killers, but some ain't.

As to your problem, come to Chicago and talk to me at your convinence. I'll show you some kind people who will gladly show you around the globe for a nominal fee, if not for free. The world is full of nice folks willing to help out a friendly soul in need. You just need to know were to ask.

Thanks for the offer, Jager. It's intriguing. But really, it's a small detail in a picture that is too large for me to see all at once. The matter of boundaries is just one of a million new possibilities that I'd never had to think about before.

I guess it's a kind of New Nova Angst: now that I am a Nova, what kind will I be? It's a lot to take on all at once.

*sigh*

Years of experience, Sam. Years of experience. Those with the power have better things to do than chasing down customs violators. Those with the time to hunt down customs violators don't have the power. That is the reality.

Now, if you are doing other activities, then the question of resources devoted against you changes.

Living cautiously is good advice. Living in fear is not.

If you are worried about 'them' getting you, it is better to ensure they learn not to bother those that mean them no harm. If baselines can't learn that lesson on their own, we will have to teach them.

In case you didn't know; Yes, I am a member of the Teragen.

Quote:
Originally posted by TeleRhyde:
If you are worried about 'them' getting you, it is better to ensure they learn not to bother those that mean them no harm. If baselines can't learn that lesson on their own, we will have to teach them.
Pardon the big words, but that's a big ol' case of cognitive dissonance. Here's to hopin' you're trying to fool us folk instead of yourself.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam Grey:
Pardon the big words, but that's a big ol' case of cognitive dissonance. Here's to hopin' you're trying to fool us folk instead of yourself.
Do you know what cognitive dissonance means? It is a tool the mind uses to create new ways of thinking around existing problems that the mind can not normally deal with.
If you keep thinking in the old way and refusing to see the world has changed is foolish.
I thought you understood that the world was a dangerous place for novas.

Quote:
Originally posted by TeleRhyde:
Do you know what cognitive dissonance means? It is a tool the mind uses to create new ways of thinking around existing problems that the mind can not normally deal with.
It's also shorthand for the rationalizations that come up when we hear things that don't jive with our irrational beliefs. Believe you me, kid, I've got a fair understanding of how this world has changed in the last eighteen years. If not he last fifty years.

Archived