Trinity RPG - Interview with Bates

Blue Thunder

A few months ago I had the fortune of getting into contact with Andrew Bates himself. We shared e-mails a few times discussing Aeon, specifically about the new psi order that was planned for Trinity: Bright Continent (which is currenty in the development stage as an e-book). The questions he answered were (and are) to remain a secret until the project is completed or near completion. But there was one question I asked that didn't deal with BC directly, and I felt that the answer was too important to just keep secret.

Quote:

Me: Were there going to be any new Trinity-era terms for mersmerists, stalwarts, or daredevils? Nippon has their own version of daredevils called Superiors (from the unofficial Asia Ascendant released by Baugh) but they aren't the same.

Bates: Nope; the terms exist already. Mesmerists are psions (or proto-psions, really). Stalwarts are novas/aberrants. Daredevils wouldn't even be labeled as such -- they're norms (heroic norms, sure, but norms nonetheless -- remember, daredevil abilities are based entirely on game mechanics; they are non-powered far as the setting is concerned). I haven't read Asia Ascendant so I can't speak to the "superiors", but I hope they're non-powered types like daredevils. There shouldn't be yet another powered type running around the setting.

The key is "Mesmerists are psions (or proto-psions, really). Stalwarts are novas/aberrants." There has long been debate as to whether or not the Inspired are actually psions and novas, and whether or not telluric energy is real or just a term for both the quantum and subquantum forces the Inspired manipulate. I really wish I had asked Bates to clarify, since his comment can still be open to interpretaton.

I'd personally always felt that mesmerists and stalwarts were differently wired than psiads and novas (essentally different, but manpulating the same forces), but Bates' comment has me thinking that the rules for the Inspired are just thematic in nature; that mesmerists are weak psiads and stalwarts are weak novas.

So...interpret his words however you wish.

This makes sense to me. As the games were concieved to be parts of the same timeline/universe/story it always seemed odd that the inspired would be fundamentally different from novas and psions. The rules differences aside it seemed strange that a memserist was not just a proto-proto-psion (or whatever) or that a Stalwart would be different from a low powered nova.

I'm pretty interested in this new project. If you ever need help proofing or editing drop me a line (sadly I don't have the free time required to offer to actually write material).

• 2 weeks later...

No date is set. The project is still in the beginning stages, and it's going at a slow pace since we all have work and such. We do it in what little free time we have.

Eon is also working on the Mega-Physical e-book for Aberrant. I can't access that sub-forum since I'm not part of the project, but they still seem to be working on it...but no date is set or that either, I don't think.

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Thunder:
It confuses me how Asia Ascendant suggests that you can play as Inspied using the Adventure rules. I guess that this is a point where Bates and Baugh saw things diferently.
Oh, FYI, I don't remember where I saw it, but Bates did mention that apparently the entire Process 418 plotline was all Baugh's idea. The line had been removed from his hands at that point.

Well, Process 418 was created in Luna Rising. It just wasn't given any form...it was just an open plot hook to be filled in later. Bates didn't write Process 418 in Luna Rising, or the Venezuelan Phenomenon (the latter part was Baugh).

On a side note, I'd like to say that Luna Rising was and still is the most well-written and interesting of all the order books. How ironic that it was the first.

Archived