Aberrant RPG - Aberrations and Willpower

Rorschach

The rules state that when a characters tries to resist Mental Disorders (like some Mental Aberrations), his Willpower is reduced by an amount equal to his Taint.

I would ask something: do you consider Hormonal Imbalance as Mental Disorders?

'Cause Rage seems almost unplayable. Lemme explain:

1) Rage is NOT a Mental Disorder. Characters can resist with Willpower. Let me tell you your nova will probalby NEVER get angry : even with a "poor" willpower of 4 to 5, he 'll probably handle to get at least ONE success. So, it looks like a "free aberration" you know.

2) Rage is a Mental Disorder. Ok, good luck boy! Considering an Hormonal imbalanced nova is at least Taint 6, she would need at least Willpower8 just to throw TWO dice. When you read Rage, you understand any provocation will end as a maelstrom of violence. What a wonderful game en perspective!!!

I think this aberration very fun, and I want to allow my players to get it, but not this ways.

Any idea?

I always thought of Hormonal Imbalance (Rage) as a Mental Disorder, even though hormones are made in virtually every tissue in the body. It's more of a genetic disorder, something that isn't covered by the Flaw system. Still, HI® is a tough aberration to take, just like HI(L), which is why I would be hesitant to take them as a player and hesitant to allow them as a ST. For all practical purposes, I'd treat it like a mental disorder, because I'd sooner err on the side of too much than too little.

I treat it as a mental disorder.

Which means that yes, a nova with a willpower lower than his Taint score will be getting into a hell of a lot of fights. That's the point of the aberration. Though since most of the novas who would get that aberration are combat junkies, most of them don't need to worry about getting into constant fights until T2M shows up to put them down.

Remember, they can spend a willpower point to get that automatic success, thus controlling the rage brought on by that situation. Eventually, they will become known as someone with a hair-trigger, homocidal temper and people will walk on egg shells around them (if they chose to hang around them, that is.)

Also, remember these two points:

Taint 6 is pretty bad.

Eventually, novas become too dangerous for normal people to co-habitate with, thus the Aberrant War.

Archived