Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [CoQF] Building Plans [2.1]

Warren walked after Oz and sent back to Pip, "Define 'safe and away from us?' I'd thought that if they pass Oz's tests you'd just add them... I don't know, into the family net? Perhaps another like what you have with me? What are our options here?"

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Epiphany sighed, "The problem is Zia's empathy. She apparently doesn't have control of it, at least, she can't turn it off. She even tried to moderate Alex's mood when she got here, probably reflexively.

"That means that without the shielding I'm maintaining, she won't be able to help but feel the emotions of those around her. I don't know how far her range is, but I don't dare add her into the net without helping her learn to turn off the power or figuring out how to keep her from being overwhelmed. The net isn't designed to transmit emotions, but the close mental linkage might be a conduit for her abilities.

"Even beyond the fact that the emotions are likely to overwhelm her and we don't want that, we need to be practically cautious too. I don't think they were sent to spy on us, but if they were, even unknowing, what better spy than an empath? Because our greatest weakness is likely our emotional instabilities and the degree to which we emotionally respond to each other. If someone had access to that knowledge, they could easily work to divide us through infighting.

"I don't honestly believe that is what is happening here, but I'd be a fool not to take precautions. For now, we'll just have to deal with seeing if we can't room them somewhere far enough, and possibly with some form of shielding, to keep Zia from being able to get overly intrusive until we can find another solution." Epiphany really hated to be the damper on the situation. She knew that everyone was rejoicing at this win. But the practical part of her mind worried about how easy it was, how quickly things were happening. There was no other situation that would have lead the others into bringing outsiders to the island. Realistically, Pip believed that the shear speed at which it happened made it less likely the children were a plant. But the speed at which it happened virtually ensured the two novas and their guardian would be brought straight into the heart of their home. There was more than one way to spy on them, and while Alex had assured there were no transmitters on the trio, that didn't assure they weren't a danger.

Butch excused himself once the group made its way to Oz's lab. The orphans and their guardian added a new wrinkle to their plans. They would all need to come together and discuss next steps in addition to letting the others know what happened. Plus, Butch wanted to know what everyone else had discovered while they were out with Rousseau and then rescuing the children.

Butch opened his mind up to the network and sent a message:

"I think we need to have a meeting. I know we all love them sooo much, but it's necessary. We need to figure out what to do now that we have these orphans and their keeper here. The group that stayed behind needs to know what happened with Rousseau, and those of us who went need to know what happened while we were gone. We can also talk through what needs to happen next. I say we meet later on to discuss things. If Aunt Serenity's around, we can have her watch our guests while we meet. Pip, if anyone's not on the net, get the message to them the old fashioned way."

He made his way back to his room and sat on the edge of his bed waiting to see if his siblings would want to meet.

'Tommorow morning after breakfast would be better. We'll all be more objective about what happened then, and it's more important to get the children fed and settled before deciding anything more. One night of celebratory rest won't get us killed if Alex is half as clever in searching for and disarming bugs as she says she is,' countered Coraline over the link.

Warren evaluated what Pip and the others had said. Lots of news to fit into various puzzles... ideally out in space where he wouldn't have as many distractions. Later.

Warren made it to Oz's lab and just watched him work. Warren sent back, I like the kids, but first priority needs to be preventing other telepaths from finding us. The question is whether they're likely to look, and that's a question best asked to the other group... but 'R-rated' perhaps implies 'yes'.

I wonder if Alex can gadget up a damper? Or hopefully we're worrying too much about empathic feedback.

"I'd rather worry to much than find I've worried too little. Probably a random searching wouldn't locate us without taking alot of time, but if someone is tuned to these two, or in some other way was able to tag someone here, they would be able to find us much more easily.

"Though we don't yet have details, I'd guess the others left a death toll and whoever is behind the hunters will likely be looking for us now." Epiphany had been speaking to Warren, but switched her focus to project to everyone as she continued.

"We need to find someplace for the newcomers. Somewhere Zia's empathy isn't likely to become a problem. I can't keep everyone shielded indefinitely. And even supposing Alex was able to find and disable any and all bugs, we have to worry about telepaths who might know our new arrivals well enough to find them. I'd like to hope none of them are spies, but with some of the powers we know are out there, it's entirely possible to create a Manchurian without the awareness or acceptance of the person so used.

"I wish we had had more time, not rushed headlong into all of this. But since we didn't have that time, we need to rush to catch up to what happened and work on safe ways to protecting ourselves and those we rescue."

Knowing her words are likely to cause some hubbub with the others, Epiphany sends a short burst the Warren, "Let me know as soon as your up to a round trip to the moon. If we can get that set up quickly we might be able to put our three new friends there for now. It's the best option I can think of for right now."

Too much of what she'd said made too much sense.

Warren replied, "...meditation I think. One hour, perhaps two."

Under what he'd sent was another, less a thought than an impression. There was another solution... but Warren viewed it as dangerous enough that he didn't want to touch it.

"Well. Unless any of you have a Marsbase you've been hiding from us for whatever reason, here is the safest place for these children we've rescued. And I for one won't stand for tossing them back out into the cold mercies of Powers That Be even Madame Rousieu couldn't protect them from. They're like us and need us and more importantly they need healing and normality from those of us feeling like they can give that right now."

There was a pause and a final irratated warning, "If none of you feel you can give that, I'll be in my room ready to give what I can after satisfying my muse."

He heard everything on the network, but remained in his room. The frustration over the blood was gone, but Darrik had to think about the social long-term. Collecting allies, making arrangements with Madame Rosseau and others, etc.

Although was one arrangement with Sophia Rosseau that he imagined, being more private than others. Darrik sighed with the more common (now) feeling of sexual frustration and let the covering eufiber roll away from his groin.

Archived