Aberrant RPG - I need help with the rules for this...

Chronogeist

RePost from WW forums-

I have an idea for a PC.

He has homunculus, quantum imprint and aberration transfer (mostly so he can dump his mid-level "no mouth" aberration on his annoying girlfriend).

The visual effect is that his homunculus power switheroo's one or more of the target's limbs (the ones associated with the power he's imprinting) with his own, should i add a reflexive disrupt?

Or maybe add dots in a level 3 variable quantum vampire (choose what you want to suck when you use it but can only have onetrait/target sucked at a time, or maybe a weird specifcation "powers emitted from hands" maybe?). That would eliminate the need for Q-Imprint but it seems a little strong. Then again it never seemed to do Rogue much good in X-Men, what do you think?

Also, I want him to be able to cannibalize corpses (or living people too slow or weak to stop him) for parts to replace anything he loses, so for instance, he can Dio the body of a fallen foe (attach his still living head to their carcass), would that just be a gruesome regeneration enhancement or an extra for homunculus?

it seems weak for an extra on an already relatively weak level 3 power(though the ability to have my foot emulate the guy's Qbolt while my hand generates his forcefield is neat)

To save time i've already decided that stealing a whole carcass results in homuncu-boy's Q signature being unprepared to manage extra limbs or tissues his own body doesn't have so they immediately rot off or wither away (unless he uses QImprint when he body snatches then one of them may last a little while). His aberrations also rapidly overtake the body.

This is an interesting character...let's take the various abilities one at a time:

Quote:
Originally posted by Chronogeist:

He has homunculus, quantum imprint and aberration transfer (mostly so he can dump his mid-level "no mouth" aberration on his annoying girlfriend).

I'm going to vote right now to drop that last bit. It sounds silly and out-of-flavor for the AB universe.

The visual effect is that his homunculus power switheroo's one or more of the target's limbs (the ones associated with the power he's imprinting) with his own, should i add a reflexive disrupt?

That's not homunculous. Homunculous is using a limb remotely, not attaching it to someone else. If you want to control someone else' limbs, use Dominate.

Or maybe add dots in a level 3 variable quantum vampire (choose what you want to suck when you use it but can only have onetrait/target sucked at a time, or maybe a weird specifcation "powers emitted from hands" maybe?). That would eliminate the need for Q-Imprint but it seems a little strong. Then again it never seemed to do Rogue much good in X-Men, what do you think?

Rogue would be Q-vamping stamina while she Q-imprinted powers. Having Q-vamp steal something that you can choose on the fly is too powerful for just an extra. As for the 'trading arms' bit, that's just kinda hard to justify. It means you can pretty much rip the arms off of any nova you want to (including, say, Pax). Having it be the 'special effect' on another ability doesn't go anywhere near justifying it. Now if you want your own body to 'morph into something similar to theirs when you start using their power, that would be a pretty cool visual. But I don't think you could get away with ripping someone else' limbs off in combat just for using a power/group of powers.

Also, I want him to be able to cannibalize corpses (or living people too slow or weak to stop him) for parts to replace anything he loses, so for instance, he can Dio the body of a fallen foe (attach his still living head to their carcass), would that just be a gruesome regeneration enhancement or an extra for homunculus?

Now that could be cool. Either a weakened version of healing or a tainted version of regen that requires you to cannibalize dead bodies (not living, by the way, unless you want to add a simultaneous damaging power that has to be used alongside the healing on someone else). This could be very cool, and once someone is dead, I have no problem with a nova that can pull off their limbs and use them.

it seems weak for an extra on an already relatively weak level 3 power(though the ability to have my foot emulate the guy's Qbolt while my hand generates his forcefield is neat)

Homunculus only affects your own body parts, as far as I can remember. I'd stay away from extras that allow you to homunculous other people in any way. I wouldn't accept such a thing in my games. You could try it as Dominate/parasitic posession (with the weakness? only on dead bodies). Or you could go with my above suggestion.

To save time i've already decided that stealing a whole carcass results in homuncu-boy's Q signature being unprepared to manage extra limbs or tissues his own body doesn't have so they immediately rot off or wither away (unless he uses QImprint when he body snatches then one of them may last a little while). His aberrations also rapidly overtake the body.

Yeah, definitely Parasitic posession instead of homunculous for this.

The only problem I've got with the character is the ability to rip an opponent's limbs off. Even if they're unconscious and not fighting back, I wouldn't allow that. Not until they're dead. At that point, ripping off limbs is gruesome, but not an instantly debilitating effect.

Thanks for the input, I will pass the corpse harvesting as Cannibalistic Regeneration.

Now, there was no "arm ripping off" power. I was trying to say that the means of Quantum Imprint was that he traded his parts for theirs temporarily (I guess more of a special effect), allowing him to use powers associated with those parts, Like he grabs them and one of their eyes turns into one of his black orbs while his eye turns into one of their glowing greens and he can use their Radio-Optic Blast QBolt, or his hand swaps out with theirs and he gets a claw attack. When the Power turns off they just revert to their normal state so it was more a special effect, i wasn't sure if I *should* find a way to strip them of the associated powers since the F/X might imply it. I guess I was more looking for thematic critique on that one, my bad.

Also his aberration transfer power was not justified as "Power to shut up GF", the last bit i added to lighten the experience for the reader. it's another offensive power based on the idea of replacing their parts with his own, a nova without adaptability, Shapeshift or some other way to not have to breathe is likely to have a hard time with no mouth and no nose, and aside from the level of lethal, a baseline with blck orbs for eyes is just blind.

Ahh that's another question, No mouth and no Nose, 2 seperate midlevels or just one? He can still talk (thru the sinuses in his eyes) so there isn't a lot of mechanical penalties, but he looks like a Major freakshow.

Parasitic Dominate was something he was going to work his way into, but for this discussion I was only referring to supplanting the head of a Corpse. However, for dead opponents who have Body-Modifications, I think I could make a case for being able to bypass "training times" to buy those types of powers if they're on a stolen carcass. Hmmm, If I had enough XP I might even be able to make a case for buying a serious Quantum Power that was posessed by a corpse provided I could buy it at the level the guy had it when he died...

Lastly, Homunculi body parts have your powers but each is considered a seperate 'self'. So if you throw your foot at them it can Q Imprint, and then your hand can Q-Imprint. They all pull of the same QPool but you can emulate multiple powers simultaneously...

And I just realized this guy is very much like the Creeper from "Jeepers Creepers"

Quote:
pg. 202 paragraph 5

A "small creature" homunculus has no quantum powers, but is otherwise considered to have half ratings in the character's normal Traits (i.e., if the character has a Strength of 4 the homunculus has a Strength of 2). half normal soak and a Bite/Claw attack of Str+1 lethal damage. The player may shift points around if he likes (reducing Strength to add to Dexterity, for example). If killed, the main character takes one automatic health level of lethal damage.
If I'm reading your stuff right (and I may not be), Chronogeist, I don't think the Homunculus power will work out the way you want it to.

Archived