Aberrant RPG - Mega-Attributes & Comic Book Characters

Black Death

Hello all. A couple of years ago I tried running an Aberrant game based of the X-Men movies and it went well for a while. We had fun, but eventually moved on to another game.

Well with the new movie looming on the horizon, my players wanted to start a new X-Men game in a more high-powered Ultimate X-Men styled setting, which I am ALL for doing. I sat down and started modeling some of the more well-known characters to use as NPCs, when I stumbled across a problem that I hadn't really encountered before - Mega-Attributes.

Sure some are gimmes - the Juggernaught having Mega-Strength, Wolverine having Mega-Stamina & Perception. But might Charles Xavier possess some Mental and/or Social Mega-Attributes? Or could Magneto possibly possess Mega-Perception with enhancements like Electromagnetic Vision or Ultraperipheral Perception? And what about those delicious mutant babes possessing Mega-Appearance? wink Or perhaps even the Unearthly Beauty aberration?

I know that this is all ultimately up to how I decide to make the characters, but any inut would be appreciated. Thanks.

Don't get me wrong - I like Mutants & Masterminds, but I tend to run my X-Men games a tad more realistically than the four-color type of game that makes M&M shine. Another reason why I don't run it in M&M is because I that like using Quantum and Taint.

X-Comics are full of folks who could easily be considered to be Tainted (Nightcrawler, Mystique, & many others of odd appearance. Even Magneto has been potrayed as being driven mad by his powers in the past) and the use of Quantum makes a great gauge for a mutant or nova's level of power and ability. In the game, I allow players to buy whatever level of Quantum Powers they desire, but if their Quantum level isn't met by their power's Quantum minimum, they use the power at a +1 difficulty for every point of disparity there is.

I also like mutants not being able to constantly use their powers, as represented by their Quantum Pool.

Just a matter of taste I suppose.

Well, at the request of my players I designed an Aberrant game world that is just a bastardised version of The X-Universe. It is possible, and a lot of fun.

To answer you question, yes. Prof-X and anyother person with a Quantum score would possess Mega-atts.

It's actually a no-brainer to figure out who has what, don't read the ability, read the enhancements. If you read something that that character obviously would have, boom, ya got it.

Examples: Magneto would have Dreadful Mien... Prof-X would have Natural Empath... just go from there.

Archived