Aberrant RPG - How can I lose taint points?

I've been playing Aberrants for a real long time, and my character is about to accomplish a feat that few novas ever will, to buy the sixth quantum dot.

The problem is that I never was a rule fan, I play RPG to have fun, not to find mistakes on the book to make my character grow more powerful each day. Now my gamemaster says that if I buy my sixth quantum dot, a permanent taint point will come along. Is that true?

If so, how can I manage to lose, or spend, or something like that, in order to make my character remain taintless?

So far, my character never bought powers with half price paying with taint points because of its background. As he is a well trained martial artist, he never lost the control of the flow of energy, developing in harmony(that is the in-game excuse...). Living this way, he never lost touch with his human side.

Now I'm on this crossroad. Can any of you help me solve this puzzle?

Did any of this make sense to you???

If you are at Q=5, you already have a point of taint. You get one for each point above 4. You don't get aberrations until taint=4. Don't worry, if you never bought anything tainted, your taint score is only 2.

It *is* possible to remove perm taint, but the Teragen process is very, very, difficult. It will also involve you losing your humanity and getting lots of aberrations.

You can't lose it, burn it, or otherwise remove it from the character.

Taint is not a "bad thing" per se, rather it is the inevitable result of becoming something other than human. The Crysalis process David mentioned is a manner of making the inevitable work for you by guiding the form it will take rather than allowing random chance to control it. The only known example of permanent taint being removed takes place (will take place) in the 22nd century and is the result of a mysterious and uncontrolled event called the Venzuelean Phenomena. I should mention that the same event caused some that were minimally tainted to spontaneously express monstrous levels of taint as well.

The key, I believe, is to understand that your character is becoming something other than human and seeking to actively guide what he becomes. The is no "cure" because taint isn't a disease or a mistake.

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: Fortune ]

Quote:
Originally posted by Fortune:
You can't lose it, burn it, or otherwise remove it from the character.

Taint is not a "bad thing" per se, rather it is the inevitable result of becoming something other than human. The Crysalis process David mentioned is a manner of making the inevitable work for you by guiding the form it will take rather than allowing random chance to control it. The only known example of permanent taint being removed takes place (will take place) in the 22nd century and is the result of a mysterious and uncontrolled event called the Venzuelean Phenomena. I should mention that the same event caused some that were minimally tainted to spontaneously express monstrous levels of taint as well.

The key, I believe, is to understand that your character is becoming something other than human and seeking to actively guide what he becomes. The is no "cure" because taint isn't a disease or a mistake.

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: Fortune ]

This is incorrect. You can lose all the Taint, permanent or otherwise, you want through Chrysalis. It's expensive on the XP, and means being removed from play for some time but it can be done.

More importantly, however, you're going to aberrate from getting Chrysalis points prior to going into Chrysalis to remove the Taint. But you CAN remove the Taint.

You'll just keep the aberrations.

Thanks for everybody for your answers. Considering that my character tries to remain the more human he can, it is not probable that I will not go into crysalis, due to all the aberration I have to get prior to it.

So I will probably have to accept that my character is getting more in touch with his powers and being cast away from mankind and be glad I spent that points buying Dormancy 5.

About the aberrations that occur due to taint points, can I choose them, help my gamemaster or wait to see what I'll get?

Once again, thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragon Nest:
About the aberrations that occur due to taint points, can I choose them, help my gamemaster or wait to see what I'll get?

Depends on the GM. I think the rules state for the GM to pick what he wants, but some people might help you have a say in it. But you only get aberrations when you get 3 points of taint, so you shouldn't have to worry about that yet.

Archived