Mutants & Masterminds: Future Imperfect - Staying Alive

Joani

(ooc: Continued from - Nightmare before Christmas and Collateral Damage )

Savannah felt the urgency in Simon’s voice but her eyes remained up in the sky slowly making out shapes which she initially thought to be just one object. To her it seemed as if a flying man/machine was firing some kind of projectile or missle which was quickly heading towards the general direction of the MIC behind them.

Simon kept his focus on the street ahead one hand tightly interlocked with his sister’s hand as he guided her forward, away from the MIC. He could feel the distraction and confusion coming from her and struggled to shake it of.

“We don’t have time for this – concentrate...“, he told her looking back at her for just a spare second.

Savannah looked at him and the huge shadow behind him while they both felt the ground shake. She had a silent scream painted on her face and Simon felt the anxiety sweeping over him before he realized why she was paralyzed with fear. As he turned around the world around him had slowed down as if to mock him in this last seconds of his life. Several cars had crashed and some huge, 9 foot-monster, or so it seemed to him aimed with large weapons in their direction.

A schoolbus was flipping over and was directly above them and for a moment he wondered why he hadn’t heard the noise and how it suddenly got there. The large vehicle broke apart a few feet above them and the shadow engulfed the twins... darkness followed.

Click to reveal..
You both get a HP for GM Fiat and I’m not talking about the Italian carbrand...

The Hospital was running at capacity. Kevin had gone into survival-mode, carefully gauging his limit without pushing it. He healed where his power was most needed and assigned minor surgeries to any capable staff with enough medical knowledge and skill. The war vetaran had no time to actually assess how bad the situation really was.

Miriam was dealing with people, scared and confused people who asked all kinds of question. Kids seperated from their parents wanted to know where their parents were, elderly people who thought the next world war was upon them. Kevin was in OP 1 when Miriam entered, her face white behind her two gurneys side-by-side to create a larger space – either an extreme obese person was under the blanket or something else had happened.

„Calm down, Miriam. We’ll deal with everything just like we did till now. We’re going to make it, just make sure we have enough supplies.“, Kevin spoke to her reassuringly.

„Now tell me what we’ve got here.“, he asked as he approached the gurneys and slowly removed the blanket. Underneath he saw a boy and a girl, barely adults clutching dearly eachother. They were both semi-conscious and their legs were obviously broken. But what worried him most was the large steel girder that went through their abdomens, connecting the twins in a cruel fashion. The girl was panting, eyes unfocused and desperate while the boy seemed to be lucid enough to answer questions. There was blood but not as much as one would expect – Kevin knew that removing the Girder would probably kill them unless...

With grim determination he nodded at Miriam, „I see... please prepare everything for surgery, I think I can safe them but we have to be quick.“

Miriam nodded still somewhat under shock but having a task helped her to remain functional, she nodded at Kevin and then left the OP 1, searching for anyone who could assisst Kevin and preparing everything he’d need for such a complicated procedure.

Click to reveal..
Alright – SG – I need 2 rolls from you, all vs. DC 25 using your medical knowledge/treatment skill. The twins are considered to be dying if you want to use your healing power.

@Twins – you are both conscious and can talk but can’t move. You can’t remember how you got here and someone must’ve given you some kind of sedative because you barely feel any pain, everything is numb. Any use of your powers requires a powercheck vs. DC 20 first, failure my worsen your condition which would mean death.

Kevin took a deep breath. There was so much that he wished he could do for these two. Proper anesthesia was impossible without electricity, as was breathing or heart/lung machines. There was only so much that he could do. Stabilize and transport would be his preference, and the best thing for the kids, but with everything going on, it didn't look like that was an option.

So he started improvising a way to see what the internal damage was. As he was doing that, he tried to apply his healing touch, but as badly as it was needed, it wouldn't work. Somewhat confused by that, he continued working and a little while later as the situation worsened, he tried using his power again.

And again it didn't work, but by this time he was starting to get desperate, so he decided to push himself. And push himself he did. Using his power twice in a row brought a sweat of exertion to his forehead, and pushing his power beyond the safe limit hurt the rest of him. Pain racked his body as the Virus he had did its' thing. He went weak in the knees and almost collapsed, dropping his instruments on the metal of the table and dropping to his knees. His nose started bleeding before his head hit the table, but from behind his surgical mask, no one would've been able to tell.

Everybody who heard the clatter and saw him collapse came rushing towards him, trying to see what was wrong with him and if they could help. When asked about his nose, he told them that he must've broken it when his head hit the table. Assuring everyone that he was ok, he went to the sink, shoved paper towels up his nose, got a clean face mask, re-scrubbed, and went back to work on the worst case that he had seen in decades.

Click to reveal..
Treatment 1 for Twins Roll: 14 +13 Modifier -25 DC = +2 PASS.

Treatment roll 2 for twins Roll: 4 +13 Modifier -25 DC = -8 FAIL.

Treatment roll 2 for Twins (second chance) Roll: 14 +13 Modifier -25 DC = +2 PASS.

Power roll to stabilize twins Roll: 1 +4 Modifier -10 DC = -5 FAIL.

Second Power Roll to stabilize twins Roll: 4 +4 Modifier -10 DC = -2 FAIL.

Third power roll to heal twins - extra effort Roll: 3 +6 Modifier -10 DC = -1 FAIL.

Resisting virus' effect Roll: 2 +8 Modifier -21 DC = -11 FAIL.

Injury x1 (-1 toughness), Staggered (single std action/turn & -1 speed rnk), Fatigued (-1 speed rnk)

It had taken them both several minutes to figure out what was going on; neither of them remembered anything beyond the bus and in the chaos of the hospital it was hard to concentrate. When they were moved to an OR, the twins finally came around enough to understand what had happened to them. All Kevin saw of them was two teens staring at each other wide-eyed as he worked.

Sieg, don't be an idio-

I'm not. It's just math, Jer. You're stronger. If it comes to a choi-

It won't. I won't let it! Her mental voice was as fierce and strong as her body was currently crumpled. I can't live without you, Sieg. We're one and the same. Always.

And I'm you're brother. I can't let you die. I promised Mom and Dad I'd keep you saf-

The doctor's collapse interrupted the silent argument, both twins wincing as the doctor took his tray and instruments down with him. Simon reached out carefully and brushed his hand over Savannah's arm, moving them both as little as possible. It'll be alright, Jeraldine. Somehow, it'll be alright. Will..will you sing me that song I liked when I was little? The one Oma taught us?

She nodded and began to "sing", the memory of her actual singing filling their minds while the doctor scrubbed himself down for the second time. She was still singing in his mind when the doctor finally came back into the room and to their side; Simon had managed to keep her mind on the song and not a small corner of his thoughts. His voice came out in a rough croak, "Save her."

Click to reveal.. (Music)
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

He could feel the combined rush of anger and terror that surged through her. She was more afraid of living without him than of dying, and the doctor working on them could see the fear written on her face. Her voice cracked slightly as she spoke, and the effort it took for her to do so at all was apparent in her voice.

"Sh-shut.. UP."

Just shut up! We're NOT going to die, do you hear me? If you die I'll - I'll kill you! And I'll kill this doctor for not saving you. And the nurses too. And Mom and Dad for making you make that promise. And then you'll have to freeze in Hel for causing me to kill all those people. And I'll freeze in Hel for doing it, and that'll REALLY suck, now won't it?!

For a moment it almost seemed to Kevin that she was glaring angrily at the young man, even as she clung tighter to him instinctively. Then her gaze flickered up to the doctor, her gaze surprisingly determined for someone so injured, and her words were more like a command than a request.

"Don't let.. us.. die."

He started to laugh, then coughed when his lungs wouldn't move right. Tears streamed down his face as he scrunched his face in pain.

At..at least we'd..be together. He tried to laugh again and shifted dangerously on the girder when he started coughing again, Besides...we could totally...take Hel.

His odd humor set off, he gasped out, "Please."

Kevin had one of the nurses wipe the sweat off his brow. It was coming more swiftly now as he fought the after effects of his failed power use. He didn't know what it was, but apparently something in these two kept him from using his powers. Maybe they were mutants, or knew a mutant who had put some form of 'protection' on them. Either way it made his job more difficult.

But he was their only hope, and he wasn't going to fail them.

He grabbed one foot on each of them with a bloodied glove covered hand. His voice was strained as he spoke. "Don't worry you two. You're both going to make it. It's not as bad as all that."

He then turned around and yelled out to Miriam. "Miriam! I need everybody you can spare and a couple that you can't! We need to get this beam out of these two!"

For the first time since she had known Kevin Miriam was visibly shaken and afraid. Until now he had managed to deal with every situation and there was no doubt he would this time, too – but never before had she seen him like this. She knew he had some experience going way back and that granted him a certain air of authority and serenity no matter how grim the situation seemed to be. She saw him dealing with injuries and wounds that would under different circumstances cause further complications but somehow he always managed to keep a steady hand and presumably do the right thing at the right time. So far he has never lost a patient.

Ashenwhite she turned around and got two more assisstants into the OR to help him with the beam. She couldn’t imagine how the kids got into that situation in the first place and on second thought she didn’t want to know. Once done with Kevin’s order she stepped outside shaking visibly from the excess adrenaline.

Click to reveal..
Alright – You get a second try for your treatment roll vs. DC 20 this time. You get a circumstantial bonus of +2 on your roll from the assisstants helping you. The whole process will take about 1 hour after which the twins are safe and seperated. They’ll still have trouble moving much, though.

Kevin ordered and operated. His hands shook with both the after effects of the virus and the mounting pressure of the surgery. He tried and he tried harder, but he was still loosing them. He didn't have the beep beep beep of the heart monitor to tell him, but he could tell. He couldn't stand the thought of loosing these two... especially after he promised them that it would be ok.

He even tried to apply a bit of his healing power, futile as he knew it would be. And, of course, it didn't work, not on these two.

So, when all else seemed to fail, he just took a step back mentally, stopped trying so hard, and just started doing. His hands knew where to go, his eyes what to look at. All his decades of practice had prepared him for this, so he just did it...

... And an hour later, the beam was removed. It would take a while for these two to heal, especially since his healing power wouldn't work on them, but the beam was out and they were stable. They were well on their way to recovery.

Click to reveal..
Treatment roll on twins Roll: 3 +13 Modifier +2 Circumstance Bonus -20 DC = -2 FAIL.

Second Chance Treatment roll on twins Roll: 2 +13 Modifier +2 Circumstance Bonus -20 DC = -3 FAIL.

Healing use on twins Roll: 4 +4 Modifier -10 DC = -2 FAIL.

Treatment Skill Mastery, take 10, +13 skill, +2 circumstantial = 25, 2 levels of sux.

Simon struggled to stay awake, the exhaustion of the surgery along with the sedative taking its toll on his system, but he did manage to smile at his sister. See. I told you we'd be fine.

Savannah managed a tiny return grin, Jerk.

You can't punch yet. I'm still hurt.

Keep telling yourself that.

Simon managed to lift his head and seek out the man they'd seen before. "Doctor...? What happened? We- I don't remember much. There was a bus. In the air."

Kevin wiped his forehead. It had been a long day, and it was just going to get longer. He was going to go get some rest, since he hadn't needed sleep for many decades, when the boy spoke up.

Kevin leaned in closer to make sure he heard everything the boy said. Once he was finished, Kevin patted his head and stroked the hair out of his face. His voice was calm and reassuring, gentle and caring. "Shh, quiet. Rest now. Short term amnesia is common right before you get knocked unconscious. When you got here you two were joined by a big metal beam. You're lucky you survived the trauma, but once you got to me you weren't in any danger anymore."

Kevin paused to digest the enormous lie he had just told in the name of bedside manner.

"Just you rest. I'll take good care of you two, you've got nothing to worry about." And with that he gave each of their hands a reassuring squeeze, then walked out into the dark, busy hallway.

He shuffled around until he found Mirriam, his face now as ashen as hers had been, but much more drained. "I'll be in my room on the cot. I just need a few hours to recover. You all should be able to handle it from here, but if you absolutely, positively need me, come get me, ok?" He finished, his breathing heavy from having spoken so much.

He could smell that she had been smoking although he knew she quit that a while ago. Things were indeed grim. She nodded at him trying to put on a friendly smile but it was very short lived. „I’ll let you sleep – you did more than enough. You’re a hero, Kevin.“, the smile she added to that lasted longer and he sensed she meant it from the bottom of her heart.

Only one hour later his rest was violently interrupted. Mirriam had barely time to knock on the door as she was shoved in Kevin’s cot. He saw the silhouettes of Soldiers, probably US Army or National Guard, at least he hoped they were.

„Kevin!“, Mirriam screamed before she got dragged out.

„Hey you, wake up! You’re a Doctor?“, the Soldier who entered the cot asked Kevin rather harshly. He had his Assault Rifle secured but ready in check, his index finger just needed to flex to give off a shot but it wasn’t pointed at him.

The door to the ICU was opened against the protest of several assisstants. „Their condition is highly unstable. You can’t just walk in here, you risk further complications!“

But the soldiers didn’t care. Simon and Savannah could see several men in US-Army uniform entering the room, they were all armed to the teeth and seemed very eager to jump into action.

„What happened to these kids?“, the Sergeant asked one of the Nurses.

„They were impaled... by a girder. I think they got into an accident.“, said the Nurses very nervous and intimidated by the open display of weapons.

„Where happened this? Over at the MIC?“, the Sergeant implored.

„I have no idea... they got transported here. It’s been several hours now. The Kids really need rest.“

The Sergeant stared at them and then at the Nurse...

Savannah's eyes - closed before in blissful, healing sleep - were now open, and wide with fear. Every move they'd made over the last several years, every instinct they'd honed, had been to avoid this moment.. and now here it was. She was utterly terrified, mostly because it had arrived when they were at their most helpless - she wasn't even sure she could stand, much less make it out of the hospital under her own power - and she knew her brother felt the same.

Sieg, what do we do? Can you talk us out of this?!

Simon could feel his sister's panic, and knew her immediate instinct was to lash out and blast them all, buy them enough time to get away, somehow. Whether they were capable of it or not was a different matter altogether...

I'll try. Be ready, if it doesn't work, but don't do anything until I say go, okay?

He sat up very carefully, wincing in pain, and peered blearily at the soldier. "We weren't at the MIC, sir. We were, uh, I think I could find it on a map. Just exploring the city. We haven't been in 'Vegas all that long. We've been backpacking around the country...gap year, y'know?"

"Um, did something happen at the MIC? All I remember is a bus, like, exploding or something and then we woke up here." He ran a hand through his sweat-and-dirt streaked hair, "I'll try to answer any questions you have, sir, but everything's still kind of fuzzy. Please let my sister rest, though. She's been through a lot."

Simon had always found lying to be much more effective if you mixed a liberal dollop of the truth in.

Click to reveal..

The Sergeant looked at them for a long moment not saying anything for a while.

„Don’t worry about your sister, kid. I can tell you’ve been through a lot of trouble.“, he sighed nodding at his Corporal.

„Jackson, take two men and guard the entrance. Only medical staff may enter and get me that Doctor who did this.“

The Corporal nodded and gave them a long look, as if he wanted to say something but decided against it. He left the room leaving only Simon, Savannah and the Sergeant behind.

Click to reveal.. (Insight Check opposed vs. Simon's Deception roll)

„My name is Sergeant Hicks and while I appreciate your effort and fully understand that you’re trying to protect your sister I don’t buy your story. The Military is looking for a young man and his sister and you two are a perfect match but it would only make sense if you were Mutants since the siblings we’re looking for are Mutants.“, he paused briefly winking at Simon trying to encourage him.

„I just want to talk to your Doctor and hear his story. I’m not going to hand out two seriously injured and absolutely helpless kids to the Government, don’t worry.“, even though he had called Simon’s bluff Sergeant Hicks didn’t seem to be too eager to follow his orders. That was a good sign.

Kevin hadn't had to sleep in a long time, and his body, racked as it was by the virus, still didn't require it. Otherwise he would've been even more surprised than he already was. When Miriam was shoved through the door, Kevin had just enough time to catch her before she fell completely on her. He gave her a little squeeze that he hoped was reassuring, and then she was yanked out.

The soldier that replaced her was rather harsh in his questioning. He seemed rushed and stressed, but he was still out of line. So, as calmly as he could, Kevin raised an eyebrow and knowing the answer simply asked, "Are we under attack?"

The response was a little confused, but mostly impatient. "No." He looked about to say something else, but Kevin's motion cut him short.

At the soldier's response, Kevin gave a short nod and then slowly stood up to his full height. He was only six feet, around the same size as the soldier, but Kevin had close to 100 years in the service and nearly 60 as a commanding officer. So he stared the soldier down. His next words had the edge of command. "Soldier, is that how you treat a civilian, whom you're sworn to protect, when we're not under attack?"

The confusion turned to unsureness, but the tension, and the pressure remained. "I'm not the one that decides that. The Sergent asked for you so I came to get you. Mutants have gone out of control, so the National Guard is locking down the city. Uncle Sam is the one that decided this." He tried to be polite, ish, but that was enough for Kevin.

Kevin's reply had a tone of finality to it. "I can see that you're under a lot of stress, but that's no reason to take out your frustrations on innocent civilians. Apologize to Mrs. Miriam for your conduct and I'll go see your S.O." Kevin paused for effect. "...and I won't tell him of your unbecoming conduct. Deal?"

The soldier sighed and nodded, setting his rifle down just long enough to apologize to Miriam. Then he looked expectantly over his shoulder expecting Kevin to follow, which he did, at a measured pace. It didn't take him long to realize that he was being led to the ICU, which concerned him more and more the closer they got.

Absolutely helpless, my ass. I'll show him "absolutely helpless"...

Jeraldine..

Yeah, yeah. I know.

Savannah scowled slightly, also sitting up slowly and wincing slightly. Her voice sounded tired and weak, but she channeled a little bit of her actual fear and anger into her response, in order to look the part of a normal, petulant teenager.

"We're a perfect match? So, what - you're looking for two blonde teenage siblings in Las Vegas? Cause that's so rare. I mean, really, this is stupid - we're obviously not mutants. If we had some kind of mutant power, you think we'd be in the hospital, all messed up like this? You should be out trying to find the mutie freaks, not bothering us."

Click to reveal.. (Deception Roll)

Click to reveal.. (Insight vs. Savannah's Deception Roll)

Sergeant Hicks raised his arms in defense.

„Hey hey hey, calm down... I know you’re not the kids we’re looking for. We’re looking for twins, true, but not for you.“, he looked at the door hesitating briefly then saw that someone was approaching and decided to wait.

The Corporal from earlier opened the door and guided Kevin to the gurneys where Sergeant Hicks greeted him with a short nod but a polite smile on his face.

„Corporal, you can wait outside, make sure that no one enters this room, understood?“

The Corporal nodded and left without a word.

„Good, I am Sergeant Hicks from the US-Army in charge of this bunch of National Guardists. I apologize for any inconvenience you encounter – these people would rather be with their families and celebrate christmas. We’re all humans after all.“, he smiled winking at Simon and Savannah.

„I’ve heard you saved these kids, Doctor... Bridges?“, he looked at a notebook of his and raised an eyebrow. „Did I get that right?“

Overall Sergeant Hicks appeared very polite and friendly. He has a handsome face and remarkably grey eyes. Unlike the other Soldiers he doesn’t seem to be on the verge of losing his composure.

"Sergent, hmmm, yes..." Kevin muttered to himself as he scratched his chin. Even though they were both part of the 'Allies', the British and the American troops never did get a long too well, probably something to do with that whole revolution and 1812 thing.. That, plus the fact that he was retired made his General pretty much useless against this active American Sergent on American soil.

So he figured he'd play along, until he figured out what was going on. But, just to be on the safe side, he did throw up a forcefield around each of the doors. It wasn't necessary to go full out and risk the V, just enough to give pause and keep others out... and besides, he could decide who and what could pass, plus he could get rid of it with a thought. If things went well, he'd drop it and no one would be the wiser, otherwise... well he had found it was a good precaution.

In actual response, Kevin was about as pleasant as he could be given the circumstances. "Well, I helped. Jose, Amelia, John and a whole slew of others helped to," he said as he pointed back through the doors at the darkened lobby that was stuffed way past fire marshal rated capacity.

In a more serious tone he continued, looking straight at the Sergent. "But I'm guessing that's not what you meant. Yes, sir, I was the chief surgeon that worked on these two, a pair that I might remind you should be resting after coming that close to death. Now are you going to leave them alone so that they can recover or are you going to make me pull rank? Because might I remind you, especially in a hospital, even a lowly nurse can order a 5 star general around and be obeyed... sir."

It might have been a stretch, it might not, but the simple fact of the matter is that when it comes to medical issues, doctors had complete, or nigh complete authority.

Simon reached out to put an arm around his sister, as if he was trying to shield her from the soldiers.

Heh. I like this doctor. He reminds me of Dad.

Mn. Sorry. Why do you think they're looking for us? We haven't even done anything since Grand Junction, and that's two states and four months away. We certainly didn't start all this crap with the MIC here.

I don't know....maybe it's not us? I mean, really. There have to be other sibling mutants that are blonde and at least close to the same age.

Great. We're going to get caught because someone else screwed up?

We're not going to get caught, Sieg. We've been in-

-...-

-okay, maybe not worse, but we're not sunk yet. Just...just be ready, in case this goes south.

Always.

Savannah took his hand, twining their fingers together to complete the look of scared and injured teens just wanting this all to be over.

Hicks sighed and nodded at Kevin. "No need to do that, Doc. Like I said, my men preferred not being on this mission at all and the sooner we get to find those kids the Government is looking for the faster they can get back to their families."

The Sergeant was walking towards the door making sure no one was listening. When he turned around he put the gun aside and took off his helmet. "You don't have to worry guys, my report won't include this. I sympathize with the Mutants and don't see any unnecessary roughness to be used just to get a point through. Unfortunately something went very wrong today at the MIC and we're trying to do some damage control here. I requested supplies and a full military medical pod. This will turn the hospital effectively into our main medical hub here. We should be able to deal with all injuries and wounded. I won't question your authority Doc and nothing will happen to the kids. With some luck we get through this without further losses. Too many have died already. What a fucked up Christmas."

Hicks sounded genuine and really concerned about the twins' well-being. He surely had his orders but chain of command seemed a bit loose at the moment and he was taking advantage of that.

"I help you, if you help me, ok?", he offered extending his hand to Kevin.

When the Sergent agreed to not make Kevin nodded and quietly said "good." He listened to his speech, and as he talked Kevin decided to make his forcefield permiable by people so that the Sergant would be able to leave but things like bullets and such wouldn't be able to fly back through.

When Hicks extended his hand, Kevin looked down at it, and for a moment it seemed as though he was going to refuse, but just as the awkwardness reached its' peak, Kevin finally took the hand and shook it. His voice was still very professional as he spoke. "Ok. I don't know what you're talking about, but OK. Now the only question is where to set up the base, because this place is about to burst at the seams. Plus just about any regular hospital would be better stocked and equipped than this free hospital. No offense to it, this is a great place, it's just not designed, equipped or staffed for this, much less what you're talking about."

Click to reveal..
For the "I don't know what you're talking about" comment if needed.

Deception Roll: 12 +6 Modifier = +18

"No, this is going to be our base of operations. I don't want the hospital to be closer to the city's center and thus closer to the MIC. Once the Medical Pod has arrived we will secure parts of the streets and claim that ground. It'll provide enough room and equipment to deal with the injuries sustained during the riot. It'll also make it easier for me to keep tabs on you - and the kids.", he looked at Simon and Savannah.

"Don't worry, the General is not looking for blonde twins. The description just doesn't fit. As far as I know they are both dark haired, dark eyes and the boy must be older than you while the girl is younger than your sister.", he nodded and then faced Kevin again.

"I'll leave you alone now. You look like you need some rest. I will take care of the guards and make sure no one enters this ICU without my permission. Now I must excuse myself, there's still a lot to do, and I have to make some calls.", Hicks put his helmet back on and took his gun waiting just long enough for any last requests before he left.

Kevin stood his ground, not giving an inch. The Sergent seemed nice enough, but he would honestly feel better if they were nice enough further away.

"Thank you for the rest, it's been an understandably long day. But, actually Sergent, if you could tell your men that they are to stay in the lobby or outside of the hospital altogether, except by express permission by you, Miriam, or myself, that would be even better. We have injured all throughout the building, because we were the closest and took the majority of the wounded, despite the fact that other hospitals were better equipped.

And, believe me, I understand your desire to be close to the MIC, but I've seen battlefield medicine, and trust me, St. Mary's or Mercy hospital just down the street would both be better options. You can have all the tents and supplies that you want, but nothing compares to having actual facilities to work with. Just being outside makes the entire operation non-sterile. Trust me on this, you'll loose a lot less people if you take the medical pods and set up at one of those two other locations. I'll even come with you and help supervise and offer whatever aid I can, once my duties are finished or otherwise taken care of here." He glanced back towards the twins and then back to the Sergent.

"Besides, if these aren't the two that you're looking for, why do you need to keep tabs on them, or me for that matter?" Throughout it all, Kevin managed to keep an even, professional tone, though his curiosity did come out at the end. He hadn't, couldn't use any of his healing abilities on the twins, it seemed as though they had some sort of resistance to it. It had been strictly his skill and experience that had saved them.

Maybe it seemed miraculous or lucky enough to be like healing, but he literally and actually hadn't done anything with them that a really good doctor wouldn't have been able to do. So Kevin was understandably curious as to why the Sergent felt the need to keep an eye on him as well, he was just their doctor.

Maybe it was just guilty through association...

Hicks was almost through the door and shut it again to answer.

"Trust me, it's easier this way. St. Mary's or Mercy, while being better suited would fall out of my jurisdiction to deal with. See, I'm 'just' a Sergeant - The Major and Captain are at those Hospitals. The closer I get to them, the less 'freedom' I have to deal with 'issues'. I can organise transports to the other facilities for those who need better treatment. Can we agree on that? As compromise?"

Kevin nodded wearily. "Fine. So long as there is somewhere better for the more critically injured cases." Kevin watched as the Sergent agreed and left. He then turned and walked over to the twins.

"It's going to be ok you two. I'm going to make sure that you're able to recover, and then once that's over, you'll be able to go free. I'll make sure of it."

The twins had fallen asleep shortly after Kevin reassured them that everything was going to be alright.

In the meantime Sgt. Hicks was busy in organising the arrival of several Helicopters which transported the Medical Pod with field personell. Even though Kevin had justifiable concerns about sterility of the Military Med-Pod he had to admit that a handful of experienced Field Medics would surely improve the general situation and relief those who were seriously overworked – like him.

Unfortunately the temporary calm was violently interrupted by news of an attack at Nellis Air Force Base.

„Where’s Doc Bridges?!“, Hicks yelled, one hand listening into the radio which continously reported about seriously injured soldiers at Nellis. „Dammit...“, he cursed to himself.

Miriam woke Kevin up from his powernap and he could right away that something was wrong. „That Sgt. Hicks is looking for you – something or someone attacked Nellis Air Force Base and I think some soldiers have been seriously wounded. I have no idea what is going on, though.“

Click to reveal..
I put the Twins to sleep because both Mala and Kylie have reported to be absent for the next 10 days or so. Their condition will be stable but I will "force" them into a coma until I hear from the Players again, else SG would be forced to wait, too.

Oh - Kevin got another 2 full hours of rest

Kevin listened to Miriam as she explained the situation. He felt better than he had since this entire debacle started, and though he was still a little groggy, (the first time that he had actually slept in years, if not decades), he got the gist of it: attack on military base, people soldiers injured, situation: bad. As he set up, he sighed, long and deep. His voice, while sarcastic and ironically dour and morbid held a glimer of hope and the light in his eyes from doing good never left.

"Once more into the breech, my friend."

He stood up, walked over the Miriam and gave her a big hug. It wasn't romantic, and it didn't linger, but he squeezed her tight, then put his hands on her shoulders, held her out at arms length and looked straight into her eyes.

"Everything is going to be ok. What's happening now will pass, and eventually everything will go back to normal. Miriam, you are a wonderful woman, and right now we need you more than ever. I need you to coordinate the interface between the clinic and its' staff and the medical unit outside. If you need to use the soldiers, do it. I made sure the Sergent knew you were the authority around here, so if any of the soldiers doesn't listen to you, or you have any trouble whatsoever, any trouble at all, you come see me and I'll make certain that they're busted back down to a private on KP duty. Got that?" Kevin waited for an affirmative before adding, as he cracked his knuckles, "Ok, now lets go see what we've got!"

Click to reveal..
Kevin's condition after the surgery:

Injuryx1, Staggered, Fatigued

On his way to rest he is able to treat himself and remove the Dazed component of Staggered, leaving only:

Injuryx1(Virus), Hindered(Virus), Fatigued(EE)

After his first hour's rest he removes the Fatigued due to Extra Effort leaving only:

Injuryx1(virus), Hindered(Virus)

Both of these require 1hr rest normally, but they have a +1 time rank due to the virus, but they also have a -1 time rank due to Kevin being able to treat himself.

So, after only 2 more hours rest, he is fully recovered.(explanation for my future reference as much as for everyone else)

Simon blinked awake in pain, but forced himself to sit up. He could faintly hear the sounds of chaos going on outside the ICU. Next to him, Savannah sat up as well; his envious thoughts of her lack of pain were quickly extinguished by her concerned expression.

Are you sure...?

We've got to get out here before they think to run tests on us. They're going to be paranoid from everything going on.

She slipped off her bed and came around to his side, supporting him as they quietly made their way to a supply closet attached to the ICU that also had a door out to the hallway further down the hall. Simon had the presence of mind to knick a handful painkillers, bandages, and disinfectants from the supply closet as they passed through; it wouldn't last them all that long, but it might be enough to get them away and they could look at stealing more from a store.

The farther they got from the hospital, the better Simon felt; the painkillers were kicking in. He managed to move on his own now, the two of them using years of keeping unnoticed to move them through the streets, around soldiers, roadblocks, and panicked citizens. There were too many, though, and they found themselves constantly backtracking or going in circles until they finally realized: they were stuck. Unless they wanted to mark themselves as unquestionably mutants in the middle of a firefight riot, they weren't getting out of this section of Las Vegas any time soon.

Click to reveal..
Escape from hospital: Fort. vs. Dif. 10

Simon: *rolls* 1d20: 5+2: 7

Savannah: *rolls* 1d20: 17+6: 23

Further escape:

Simon -

Fort: *rolls* 1d20: 15+2: 17 - HP spent for better roll

Stealth: *rolls* 1d20: 12+7: 19

Savannah -

Fort: *rolls* 1d20: 15+6: 21

Stealth: *rolls* 1d20: 18+7: 25

Kevin was guided to Sgt. Hicks by two of his men. Hicks was gesturing wildly yelling half across the street at some of his men and then turning his attention back to the radio-unit from which he got status reports which didn’t do much to improve his mood.

„Hey Doc, good to see you. I’m sorry about this mess, I would’ve granted you more rest but unfortunately someone decided to attack Nellis Airforce Base. We are currently not sure who the attacker is and unfortunately suffered heavy losses. Two trucks are on their way to the Medical Pod, most are burn victims from the explosion caused by the Kerosine. I think we are now officially at war...“, the last sentence seemed to trouble Hicks most of all. Kevin could tell that Hicks didn’t like the idea of waging war against the mutants.

The first truck arrived shortly after and Hicks just gave Kevin a nod towards the Medical Pod. „I’ll try to keep you updated. If you need anything, let me know, I’ll be here.“

Miriam was already at the Truck talking to the driver and trying to organise more men to get the injured sorted. She had a good eye for that and decision had to be made fast since they decided over life and death of their patients. Two of the Field Medics joined Kevin introducing themselves as Jablonski and Abraham.

Click to reveal..
I’d like two Treatment rolls from you vs. DC 10 (the higher degrees of success you roll the better of course) to determine which patient should be treated first and how fast you can get to them. The Field Medics provide a +5 circumstantial modifier unless you stop them from helping you.

Simon and Savannah barely managed to find shelter when they saw several Military Trucks and APCs approaching. The APCs stopped just across the street and let out two dozen of heavily armored men in some kind of futuristic battlesuits. NPCs of Note

The men quickly scrambled chasing down the streets with Assault Rifles readied determined to shoot first and ask questions later. Just before they shut the door of the building they fled into Simon could see how those men suddenly faded into the background, as if they had turned invisible. The APCs remained on their position while the Trucks continued their way towards the Hospital. It looked like they were stuck for the moment unless they found a way to sneak past the APCs somehow...

Before Sgt. Hicks left, Kevin replied, first nodding towards the MIC. "From the looks of things, you declared war on them some time ago. But let's make sure who the attackers are first before we go flying off half cocked. Jumping to conclusions helps no one."

Then his full attention was on Jablonski and Abraham. He spoke fast but his caring, command and experience still shown through. "Ok, I'm guessing you both have battlefield experience, correct?" He waited for them to both answer, and whether they did or not, he continued. "Ok, so, stabilize first. That'll save more lives than anything. Those that can be saved but not stabilized we work on first, then we start at the worst injured but stabilized and work to the least injured until we run out of patients. Sound good? Ok, let's go!"

With that, Kevin was off. He fell into his 'groove' with practiced ease, jumping head first and elbow deep into the blood and burns. He used his healing powers sparingly, but effectively, bringing back from the brink those who would otherwise be just past it, as well as helping him speed up the stabilization of patients so he could get to the treatment quicker. And, despite everything, he helped teach the two new medics under his care tips and tricks that he had picked up through the decades. Who knew how many lives each little tidbit that they picked up might save (that they would save, and that the people who they taught it to might save, etc.).

But, Kevin was careful to not overdo it. He was in the middle of what amounted to a military base, so he was definitely not going to tip his hand. The fewer eyes, the more leeway he had, like in the clinic. But here he was being watched like a hawk, so he played the part the best he could. The only thing that anybody should know by the time this was finished was that he was a really good doctor.

Click to reveal..
First Treatment roll for Soldiers Roll: 2 +13 Modifier +5 Circumstance Bonus -10 DC = +10 PASS.

3 deg of success

Second Treatment roll for Soldiers Roll: 2 +13 Modifier +5 Circumstance Bonus -10 DC = +10 PASS.

3 degree of success

Healing Power use on Soldiers Roll: 20 +4 Modifier -10 DC = +14 PASS.

3 degree of success

His two assisstants were seriously impressed by Kevin’s expertise and ability to assess the situation and act. Kevin’s years of experience especially under even worse conditions than this showed. Even Hicks was surprised that they managed to get the situation under control – he had half expected to lose some men but Kevin prevented that.

It had gotten dark by now and everyone could make out several halos in the distance. One specifically large one was in the north east, where Nellis Airforce base was located.

“If you don’t mind, Doc, I’d like to take you to the base and see what we can do there. I heard of some injured people who can’t be transported without risking more trauma. I hope you’re ok with this?”, Hicks was getting tired and it showed. He was coordinating several trucks coming and going from the Medical Pod and tried to not overburden his team with too many injured.

To Kevin’s surprise almost 70% of the people he treated were Military. He had expected to find far more civilian patients but either Hicks had taken care of that somehow or something else had happened. An attack on Nellis Airforce Base seemed insane, even for desperate Mutants...

Kevin kept a calm composure throughout the treatment of the injured. He had learned many decades ago that flying off the handle, getting stressed, emotional or anything other than calm resulted in people loosing their lives that didn't have to. But his almost zen like state was seriously damaged when Hicks asked him to go to the AFB. "What?! There are people seriously injured enough that they can't be transported and they're just sitting out at Nellis!?"

It wasn't often that his words outpaced his thinking, but this was one of those times. So he pulled himself back and Sgt. Hicks could see him visibly calm, and that was reflected in his voice. "I hope not. They are under the care of the base's physician I'm sure. And the only reason that these were transported was because there wasn't enough undamaged facilities to handle them.

Provided that that's the case, yes Sergent, I would be willing to save a few more lives tonight. Just know that I'm just human, and even the best of us need rest sometime... or we start making stupid mistakes."

In all honesty, Kevin hadn't had much time to think about who or what had attacked Nellis. Be they mutant or human, terrorists or dissidents, didn't matter. While Kevin cared about which side he was 'fighting' for, his primary concern was to keep injuries from turning into casualties, whichever side they happened to be on... and his job this night seemed to be far from over.

The twins watched the there-and-not-there soldiers with mounting fear.

What in all of Hel are those things?

I have no idea. Sieg, we have to hide. We can't get out of here. Not right now, and we can't take those things on if we don't know anything about them.

Simon shifted and stifled a groan of pain. No kidding.

They found a sturdy building, it looked like mostly an office building with a large and very silent reception area on the first floor. Whoever worked here, they'd already cleared out; the two made their way as quickly and quietly across the open space as they could, heading for the stairwells. Once inside the concrete shaft, they relaxed a little. Stairwells in most tall buildings were the safest place: made of concrete and essentially closed in emergency exits. They could take their time moving upward and make it to the roof where they'd have a better look at exactly what was going and some more options for escape if they had use them.

Hicks didn’t hesitate and handed Kevin a vest and a helmet. An armpatch showing the red cross completed his impromptu ‘uniform’ and one of his new assissitants handed him a military first aid unit – a rather large case which easily weighed 20 pounds.

A military jeep approached and Hicks got on it with Kevin. On their way to Nellis Kevin saw barricades established by the Military using APCs and Trucks – it looked like a scene from a CNN news broad cast from Iraq or Afghanistan... but this was Las Vegas.

The Jeep made its way north to Nellis Air Force base. Dark pillars of billowing smoke reached skywards and the exterior damage looked devastating. Whatever hit the base must’ve been terrible and of unimaginable force. Kevin had seen quiet a many things in his life and what he saw was comparable to his memories of past wars...

Hicks stepped off the Jeep and got himself a sitrep giving Kevin some time to assess the situation.

Click to reveal.. (For Kevin only)
It has gotten dark by now, the only light comes from several fires that have spread over the runways. The damage must’ve come from heavy artillery fire, there’s no other reasonable explanation aside from a Mutant with impressive blasting powers.

In the meantime the Twins tried to stay out of sight and hidden from the Extractors which quickly spread over the area. Even though Simon had kept his eyes on them he already lost track of how many and more importantly where they were.

As they reached the roof of the building they could see several halo’s of fire in the distance. It was hard to imagine but Las Vegas looked like it was under siege, it gave their situation a bizarre, almost surreal quality. This wasn’t really happening – maybe they were still in bed, lying in a coma and dreaming this?

Click to reveal.. (For the Twins only)
Perception Rolls please and another Stealth check. Thanks

Click to reveal.. (Stealth Roll)

Click to reveal.. (Perception Roll)

Savannah crept quietly behind Simon as they tried to remain hidden. Savannah was doing her best to block out the images of the destruction around them, focusing instead on trying to watch what was going on in the immediate area. But she was intent enough upon watching their surroundings that she wasn't paying quite enough attention to the surface under her feet. She stumbled, and though she tried to suppress it she still let out a muffled whimper of pain as Simon caught her and steadied her.

Kevin took the proffered vest and helmet and donned them with practiced ease. The red cross cuff looked like it belonged on his arm, and he carried the large case as if it were an extension of his arm.

On the way out to Nellis, Kevin was both quiet and still. He had seen much tragedy in his life, but it always got under his skin when it involved innocent civilians. Even Nellis, it was uncalled for. This far into the mainland of a country should be safe from foreign powers, but civilian terrorists... there was no place safe from them. That's why they were called terrorists, they were practitioners of terror, and their trade relied on the absence of safe zones and the unpredictability of their actions and attacks... of course, most of them would feel differently.

Kevin had seen, spoken with, and defended against innumerable terrorists. Most of them justified their actions by saying that they were at some kind of war. He'd heard Hicks mention being at war with the mutants, and while he didn't agree, he wondered what the ruling powers of this country thought. He wondered what the mutants thought. Ever since the introduction of the MIC's, there was a small but growing percentage of mutants who felt as though they were at war. Of course, the actions of these rouge individuals and small groups did nothing to help the plight of the mutant in the public eye. As much as he disapproved of their actions, he sympathized with their cause, and sometimes wondered what he would think or do if he didn't have the protection of the crown. If he didn't have a safe place to go back to, if he were hunted like an animal, if the friends that he had made all across the world were harassed, imprisoned, or worse simply because they knew him... if his future were a life of constantly running or imprisonment in a MIC or worse... how would he handle that? He had plenty of combat training, and he was nigh immortal... but he was a healer by nature.

What would he do?

Luckily or not, he didn't have long to think about it before they arrived. Once there he waited patiently yet with growing anxiousness to get to the injured. While waiting he tried to analyze the destruction, to see if he could figure out where the attack came from, how it progressed, and what it was that had attacked.

Simon and Savannah – The roofs of Las Vegas

While Simon was struggling to keep his senses together Savannah noticed some odd looking distortions not far away from their position. Simon managed to avoid making much noise as he stumbled forward seeking cover behind a ventilation shaft but Savannah unfortunately miscalculate her next step as her eyes remained glued on the blurry, roughly humanoid image just across the roof. The following cracking noise attracted their attention and Savannah didn’t have much time to curse before she saw one of the blurry shapes point at them followed by a gunshot that barely missed her.

Click to reveal.. (Perception check vs. Stealth check)
Click to reveal.. (Initiative)

OOC: The Extractors spotted you on the roof – Combat initiated. Please roll your Initiatives.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

The Airforce Base was seriously damaged and many buildings and aircrafts were burning or destroyed. If it had been some kind of mutant attack it sure looked a lot like someone used Military Grade weaponry from large caliber munitions to rockets and explosives. Kevin had seen the potential damage some mutants could cause, mostly energy controllers who could throw bolts of lightning or shoot fireballs but the devastation he saw paled in comparison. Let alone the thought it was caused by just one Mutant.

Hicks moved towards the mainbuilding and beckoned Kevin to come with him, “We can’t do much for the soldiers on the field, but those inside the building stll have a chance to survive. Also the General is trapped there so that’s our highest priority. I hope we’re not too late.”

They zigzagged their way to the large mainbuilding. The Commtower was lying in ruins and the tophalf had crashed just at the main entrance to the building making any access almost impossible. Soldiers were already removing debris but what they needed was some kind of construction vehicle that was powerful enough to remove large chunks of concrete and steel.

“We have contact with those trapped inside. Most of them are only lightly injured but the General is bleeding seriously and they don’t know how long he will make it. Any ideas to get inside?”

Kevin shook his head at the destruction. This would probably be blamed on mutants, but he had seen this kind of damage before. This was stereotypical combat damage... regular, human combat. The scene here at the base would be very different from what happened at the MIC when those mutants fought back.

As Hicks led Kevin away from the wounded and dying on the battlefield, Kevin's heart went out to those dying souls and their families. Maybe he would be able to get to them... but in all reality he hoped that that their passing was painless and swift for those he wouldn't be able to get to.

Once they were at the blocked entrance, Kevin was dumbfounded. They would rather him wait here to help one man (even if he was a general) while they cleared the way rather than let him save god knows how many soldiers out on the battlefield. The blatant disregard for human life staggered Kevin, but he tried to hide it as best he could from his response.

"I'm a doctor, not a combat engineer. If an opening can be made that is large and stable enough for me to squeeze through, then I'll be more than happy to dive through head first. Are there any walls, windows or ceilings that we could go through to bypass this debris and get to those inside quicker? If not, tell those inside to use strips of cloth to apply pressure to the General's wounds until we can get in there." He paused and took a minute to breath and recompose himself and also gave Hicks a chance to answer.

"Unless you know of an alternate route in, or expect to have an opening cleared within the next 5 minutes, I suggest you get me a fast jeep and let me help those that we can actually get to. It may be possible that I can at least stabilize some of them so that they won't die while we're trying to get them more complete care. You brought me here, now let me do my job."

• 4 weeks later...

Archived