Trinity RPG - The hole in the heart of Africa

jameson (ST)

Hoepfully that post title will get some people to look at this.

I was looking at Stellar Frontiers last night and in re-reading the Transportal ability (Warping 5) I noticed that the power said this was done outside of atmo. to avoid the backlash and mass transfer problems that doing it inside atmo. would cause.

However the story at the start of the book indicates that Atwan created a massive transportal to take the Upeo order and a great deal of it's assets away from earth when faced by the attack of the other orders.

Being that as Psi 10 with a WEAR a normal psion (i.e. not a proxy) could create a transportal with a spherical diameter of ~5 km I can only imagine that there would have been a major hole in the african continent as well as a good portion of atmosphere removed as well.

The easiest was to resolve this w/o the population of the earth knowing that an UN-natural disaster had befallen Africa is to say that Atwan was able to selectivly apply Transportal to only the matter she chose to (Well within the undefined bounds of a Proxy's power).

I was thinking though, what if she hadn't or what if some other Upeo had created the transprotal. What kind of ecological disaster and changes would we see?? Further it would be impossible to cover this up, how would the world react and could AEON create a cover story (Abberant attack most likely) which could hide the true events?

Just wondering if anybody else ever thought of this and what ideas people have for the aftermath.

I'm pretty sure Atwan was able to make the transportal work without damaging the surrounding area.

She also managed to teleport away the psi energy from within the base when she left; that's why clairsentients weren't able to detect where she went and that's why psi worked so poorly within the area.

Quote:
She also managed to teleport away the psi energy from within the base when she left; that's why clairsentients weren't able to detect where she went and that's why psi worked so poorly within the area.
Oh, I don't think she 'teleported the psi energy' anywhere. I think she used so much power that she 'burned' the local noetic continuum.

She didn't take the Psi with her, she just so badly strained the fabric of spacetime with her desperate 11th hour stunt that the area became Psi-dead.

And what tends to show up when Psi is weak, or absent? smile

No wonder they keep the area cordoned off, it must be like a *magnet* to Aberrants!

Archived