Aberrant RPG - Characters in Aberrant d20

Kirby1024

Surprisingly, very little comment has been made on the release of Aberrant d20. In a bid to stimulate conversation, I'm beginning this thread. I ask people to share starting Aberrant d20 Characters (ie, from Levels 1-3), to show the possibilities of the system.

To begin, I present Allison "Media" Hendriksson. Allison is built using 32-point point-buy:

Name: Allison "Media" Hendriksson

Race/Template: Human/Superhuman

Level/Class: L3 (Entertainer 3)

Allegiance: Individualist

Abilities

STR 10

DEX 10

CON 14 (inc Template bonus +2)

WIS 14

INT 15

CHA 18 (inc M-CHA bonus +2)

Quantum: 2

Power Points: 19

BAB: +2

AC: 11

Saves

Fortitude: +3 (+1 + Con Mod)

Reflex: +3 (+3 + Dex Mod)

Will: +5 (+3 + Wis Mod)

General Feats:

Persuasive

Investigator

Background Feats:

Recognized -> Celebrated

Celebrity

Well-Connected

Well-Off

Superhuman Feats & Enhancements

Mega-Charisma (Awe-Inspiring, Dreadful Mien)

Skills (* = Cross-class)

Bluff 6

Diplomacy 5

Gather Information 6

Profession(reporter) 6

Perform(act) 2

Listen 3

Knowledge(current affairs) 4

Knowledge(popular culture) 4

* Knowledge(business) 1

Speak Language 4

Sense Motive 6

* Research 2

Sleight of Hand 2

*Intimidate 3

Concept/History

Allison, before her eruption, was a beat reporter, one still idealistic with dreams of helping the downtrodden, and revealing the corruption of the world. After stumbling upon a Camparelli-Zukov prostitute ring, she was naturally showed the door in the classic Camparelli fashion - execution.

At the moment of her execution, she erupted. She gained such charm and power, that none of the executors could bear to fire a shot at her!

After the headache died down, Allison found that she had such appeal and presence, that almost anyone was willing to take her stories. She thus began her career as the "altruistic journalist" - using her immense appeal to highlight issues of the day to the worldwide audience, to great acclaim.

Out of curiosity, how did you generate the stats? Did you use the purchase method, or did you roll for them?

For me, I think a higher dice roll system, or more points in the purchase method is required. Kind of as a nod to the original system, where stats could so easily be raise to their peaks. I suggest rolling 5d6 and dropping the lowest 2, or even 6d6 and dropping the lowest 3. For the purchase method, go with the heroic build of 36+ points. I'm not sure if that's the way to go as of yet of course.

I'll use the point buy method with 36 points for now.

OK, here's what I came up with so far.

Name: Richie Bends “Face Plant”

Race/Template: Human/Nova

Character Class and Level: Entertainer 1/Aberrant 1/ Warrior 1

Allegiance: Free Agent

Str 15 [18]

Dex 14 [17]

Con 17 [20]

Int 13

Wis 11

Cha 14

Quantum: 3

Saves:

Fortitude: 7

Reflex: 5

Will: 2

BAB: 2

AC: 16 (+3 more can be added from Hardbody)

Hit Points: 33

General Feats:

Agile, Power Attack

Bonus Feats:

Acrobatic (Entertainer), Athletic (Human), Brawl (Warrior), Personal Firearms Proficiency (Warrior), Run (Warrior)

Background Feats:

Superhuman Feats:

Mega Dexterity, Mega Strength, Mega Constitution

Enhancements:

Physical Prodigy, Quantum Leap, Hardbody

Slots:

Extras:

Class Features:

Inspire Competence, Stories from the road

Skills:

Jump 12/15

Swim 11/14

Balance 9/12

Climb 8/11

Tumble 7/10

Escape Artist 9/12

Profession (Extreme Athlete) 6

Knowledge: Popular Culture 6

Drive 5

Aberrations:

Colored Skin (Skin has taken on the look and a bit of the texture of ‘Road Rash’ over large portions of his body)

Concept/History:

Richie was a small time skater trying to break into the business. He was better than average, but certainly not road show material. He tried very hard, and followed more experienced skaters and their entourages as much as possible. He tried to learn the tricks and make a living but the most he usually amounted to was getting money for food and bus for helping break down equipment and stuff, as well as scraping by on the generosity of better skaters. It was at one show when he managed to get through the qualifying round, that he thought he had a chance. His first televised performance, this was his moment. At the end of the performance he became a household word (at least among skaters and extreme sports fans) for having the most hellacious face plant and accident pretty much that anyone had ever seen. No one thought he’d even survive. His natural toughness came through and he made it on. From then on he had a small amount of fame, got invited to more shows and even did an interview or two with skater magazines and such. However he also became the equivalent of a rodeo clown. He was invited to the tournaments mainly in the hopes that he’d have more accidents, and he didn’t disappoint in that department. He also participated in a number of stunt and practical joke videos of rather high danger, and he was often the victim in them. That’s where he got the nickname ‘Face Plant’. He didn’t mind. Though he knew his ‘luck’ would run out eventually.

It did, and a whole new world opened up for him. He had gotten to the point where he could almost force a terrible looking accident and still be OK. Almost. He woke up in the hospital after falling nearly twenty feet off of a ramp and into a rack of bikes. His list of injuries included most of his bones being broken, as well as a shattered spine and crushed face. However, the only thing he felt was a bad headache. He was fully healed and never felt better in his life, and was then told he had erupted. He was approached by a variety of individuals eager to help him cash in on his eruption, to all of them he said “No way dude! I’m in fat city now!”. His skin has started to take on the color and texture he often had while a baseline; rashes and scabs.

He can’t compete in normal events any more, but still gets invited for stunts now and then. Now he’s looking for a bigger thrill and a new way to get his kicks and some of that money Tony Hawk made so easily(?). The XWF did make an offer that he’s been considering for a bit…

Quote:
Originally posted by Interceptor:
Out of curiosity, how did you generate the stats? Did you use the purchase method, or did you roll for them?
I used the 32 point point-buy system, although since these characters aren't necessarily there to be played with, it doesn't matter which system you end up using.

One of the reasons I began this thread is to show how Character concepts that are reasonably common in Aberrant Storyteller can be built in d20 system. I'm reasonably impressed as to how my first character went, and I was curious to see how other character concepts ended up working in the system.

I have had the book for a week now and from my reading there seems to be someting you missed about character generation. Correct me if i am wrong, but 1 of the character levels has to be used to buy superhuman level. So the the Entertainer would read (superhuman lvl:1 and Entertainer lvl:2)and face plant needs to change one of his levels to superhuman lvl also.

Just my two cents here but i think that is how the generation goes. On another note anyone know where to get a Charater sheet? Been looking for a week now.

Actually Brian, Superhuman is a template. You either are one or you aren't. You can, however, opt to take a level or 2 in "Superhuman." This just gives you access to level 2 and 3 powers respectively.

Think of Superhuman levels like Paragon Levels from the Unearthed Arcana book (If you have it).

Just like A! the sheet will likely be out shortly. There's probably far more important issues in the book to be upset about. Not that I'm saying this isn't important, but considering the fact that the whole system went such an overhaul, I would think that would be of greater importance and maybe consternation, than a character sheet that will undoubtedly be showing up soon.

Amongst other things, Lack of Character Sheet is always pretty visible - it hamstrings quite badly people who are up and ready to try running a game. I remember when Adventure! d20 came out, and I was up and roaring to do a playtest, and Before the sheet came out, I had to make do mangling Spycraft Character sheets (which was by no means a perfect solutions).

I find it curious that WW don't put the sheet in; Obviously they're pressed for space in the book, but surely they could remove an ad and throw in the Character sheet?

Considering Character Sheets are always spiffy to look at, and tend to get people excited about a game, the delay in making the character sheet doesn't seem to make sense.

And Interceptor, please, elucidate us on the more important issues to be angry about!

Well, I mainly didn't want to make it sound like I was marginalizing the character sheet issue, by saying it was trivial or something. It's not trivial, but for me it's only a mild annoyance at best. I've played many a game with just notebook paper for my character sheets.

As far as what's more important (to me), sure let me list a few.

1. Experience. From what I understand, due to the OGL, they can't reprint or modify the experience table, including how one determines CR and XP awards. This doesn't work too well for me, because quite obviously this isn't a perfect match. In theory, a level 10 Baseline Entertainer should be a challenging encounter for 4 10th level Novas! While if you tried, you might be able to make it challenging (a Michaelite leaders and his minions plus lots of planning), quite simply that is not a great challenge. It makes it very difficult to advance levels with a shoddy experience table. This is my biggest gripe.

2. General rule confusion. For example, it doesn't specifically say that your character is unplayable when he gets more Aberrant levels than regular levels. It just says he becomes an Aberrant, the scourge of humanity. From my background in ST Aberrant it's reasonable to assume that the character suffers the fate of Novas that reach 10 permanent Taint, but clarification would be nice, especially since it is now D20. Another rule issue can be found on the Quantum Vampire power. Take a look at page 180 and tell me that's not confusing. They also mention somewhere Menagerie (an A! Background Feat) but don't explain it.

3. No Aristocrat Core class, no Criminal Mastermind Prestige Class. No Prestige class that is specifically Novas only. Crusader comes close, but is still not Nova only.

4. Unable to achieve the high peak that ST Aberrant characters could get immediately after character creation. And no ability to modify your character with Nova points, basically to tweak them a bit. Instead you get a Con bonus and that's it.

5. The need for the D&D core books to make sense out of this, but not for some reason D20 Modern, which is more appropriate, and it already borrows from in the first place, like the Wealth system.

6. No Mega-Appearance or Mega Wits or Mega Manipulation Enhancements. It would have been nice if some of the Enhancements for those Megas transferred over to close approximations for the Megas (all of manipulation and appearance Enhancements transferring over to Charisma for example).

Those are just a few off the top of my head. I feel these issues, to me, are more important than a Character sheet. The sheet, while convenient, doesn't need to stop the game or even slow it down IMO.

Well, a few of those are perfectly explainable with conversion issues and design philosophy

1. That's probably valid - The Superhuman template does add considerably amounts of power to a character. For those intending to use other d20 material, it may have been useful for a ECL adjustment.

And no, a single 10th-level Entertainer vs 4 other 10th level characters would never have been an equal CR going by d20 rules. Now, if there were 4, you're getting better, and if the 4 were actually 10th-level Soldiers, you'd be about right. Remember that the number of adversaries adjusts the required CR of an encounter, both ways - more players in a group increase the CR required to challenge them, while more enemies increases the CR. I don't think this is a valid beef.

3. To be frank, Adventure! d20 had no Inspired-Only templates either - Even Mastermind wasn't Inspired-Only. The Prestige Classes in all d20 games (including D&D) are non-template specific - they're more walks of life than anything else. I don't recall any D&D Prestige classes that required a specific template, myself.

Also, the Mastermind Class isn't particularly appropriate for the Adventure setting, seeing as none of the antagonists in Aberrant can really fit under that Class. Aristocrat, I think, you may have a more solid argument with, but even then, the Aristocrat fits far better with Adventure! than it does Aberrant.

4. Well... L3 Characters aren't necessarily supposed to be as flexible as Starting Storyteller characters - I had the same issue with Adventure! d20. I suspect it's an artifact of the fact that it is d20. Unless you really want to warp the system, there isn't room for nova points here. It's done reasonably well, but I don't think it was their intention to perfectly mimic Aberrant d20...

5. That's for legal reasons. the d20 license specifically states that they aren't allowed to repeat the core rules.

6. There's only 5 Abilities in d20, as opposed to the nine in Storyteller - And believe it or not, they've mapped it all absolutely perfectly. Charisma in d20 is supposed to encompass all social ability, so naturally, all the Mega-Social stats will merge there. Same with Wisdom - it encompasses what Storyteller puts under Wits and Perception. So merging those two was pretty obvious too. So... They actually have put everything in where it's supposed to go. I don't think this is an entirely valid beef.

And, of course, I can understand why so many of the M-App enhancements didn't cross over - they were always a part of Shapeshift in the first place! I'm saddened by the loss of a few nice M-Cha enhancements, but I suspect space and equal time stuff came first.

"And no, a single 10th-level Entertainer vs 4 other 10th level characters would never have been an equal CR going by d20 rules. Now, if there were 4, you're getting better, and if the 4 were actually 10th-level Soldiers, you'd be about right. Remember that the number of adversaries adjusts the required CR of an encounter, both ways - more players in a group increase the CR required to challenge them, while more enemies increases the CR. I don't think this is a valid beef."

Actually a Core class has a CR equal to it's level, and that CR is based off of an encounter for a group. A 1st level Fighter is a CR 1 for a group of 4 PCs, regardless of their level. A 5th level Rogue is a CR 5. Ergo a 10th level Entertainer as a core class in theory is supposed to be a 10 CR encounter for either a group or a single person (the single person has a harder time obvioulsy, but doesn't need to divide the XP received) even if they are Novas and the Entertainer isn't (that's my beef it just wasn't addressed, but I'm not sure they're allowed to by the OGL anyway). The rewards are geared to be divided by a group of four. That doesn't mean it will be a large bounty for four people, but that is how it's designed. In all honesty a way to address this might be to say that Baseline CRs are reduced by 1 or 2, and Novas or similar (Inspired, Mitoids, Psiads/Psions) have the normal CR.

"3. To be frank, Adventure! d20 had no Inspired-Only templates either - Even Mastermind wasn't Inspired-Only. The Prestige Classes in all d20 games (including D&D) are non-template specific - they're more walks of life than anything else. I don't recall any D&D Prestige classes that required a specific template, myself"

I know, I just like Prestige Classes. But there are Prestige Classes that require Templates, or Template like things, most commonly Race. Also Types and Subtypes.

"Also, the Mastermind Class isn't particularly appropriate for the Adventure setting, seeing as none of the antagonists in Aberrant can really fit under that Class. Aristocrat, I think, you may have a more solid argument with, but even then, the Aristocrat fits far better with Adventure! than it does Aberrant."

Aristocrat I think is needed, Rauol Orzaiz comes to mind. The Mastermind was a cool PrC I thought, and I wouldn't have a problem including it. I think my gripe is that there were less Classes (Core and PrC) overall. Future supplements (hopefully there will be some) I'm sure will include some new PrCs.

"4. Well... L3 Characters aren't necessarily supposed to be as flexible as Starting Storyteller characters - I had the same issue with Adventure! d20. I suspect it's an artifact of the fact that it is d20. Unless you really want to warp the system, there isn't room for nova points here. It's done reasonably well, but I don't think it was their intention to perfectly mimic Aberrant d20..."

This gripe is pretty minor for me actually. I was more giving voice to what a lot of others are saying. I don't have much of a problem with it. They can't say too much due to the OGL, but some options at character creation would be useful. Like saying you get X amount of extra points if using the character build option or something. But I think it's very balanced, for an Aberrant game in D20 that is.

"5. That's for legal reasons. the d20 license specifically states that they aren't allowed to repeat the core rules."

I know. My point is that the D20 Modern rules are more or less complete by themselves, and also are for a modern setting. It would require less Core books as a reference if the D20 Modern book was used I believe. But that would also mean less money for WotC probably. D20 Modern is a better fit that's all. This is really just a gripe, I don't expect it to be resolved.

"6. There's only 5 Abilities in d20, as opposed to the nine in Storyteller - And believe it or not, they've mapped it all absolutely perfectly. Charisma in d20 is supposed to encompass all social ability, so naturally, all the Mega-Social stats will merge there. Same with Wisdom - it encompasses what Storyteller puts under Wits and Perception. So merging those two was pretty obvious too. So... They actually have put everything in where it's supposed to go. I don't think this is an entirely valid beef"

You're confusing me here. My point is that they didn't merge them when I felt they could. And what do you mean by there's only 5 Abilities? That part really threw me. So you mean like, Gather Information, Sense Motive, Bluff, Intimidate, Perform? My point is, that since Charisma is all of the social things, they could have put some (or all) of the Manip and App mega Enhancements in there as Enhancements for Mega Charisma, basically providing different powers. Mega Wits was similarly ignored I feel. But you have a point in that maybe doing so would make things needlessly complex or futz with the D20 system too much.

But still, these points to me were all more important than the missing character sheet. I can see why some are upset over it, it seems like we get cheated by this no doubt. But it really doesn't bother me too much.

In Adventure, and Aberratn you get roughly the same amount of knacks and power slots. But powers in aberrant cost anywhere form one too three power slots(or more if you want full range of thrid level powers).

Now compare a nova to say a mage. At level 10 a mage can throw a fire ball that does 10d6 damage... A nova does half that. In the end It boils down to this, spell casters can do do more and better things than novas, but not as many times without rest, but they do not need as much rest. So do we flat out say if your are playing a spll caster, you are a god?Or do we say that the setting and rules do not mix?

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Cherry:
In Adventure, and Aberratn you get roughly the same amount of knacks and power slots. But powers in aberrant cost anywhere form one too three power slots(or more if you want full range of thrid level powers).

Now compare a nova to say a mage. At level 10 a mage can throw a fire ball that does 10d6 damage... A nova does half that. In the end It boils down to this, spell casters can do do more and better things than novas, but not as many times without rest, but they do not need as much rest. So do we flat out say if your are playing a spll caster, you are a god?Or do we say that the setting and rules do not mix?
The settings and the rules don't mix. I mean, there's nothing really "epic" about the superpowers in Aberrant. The high end characters (like Mal) need to be thoroughly cobjobbed.

The one thing I've really found Aberrant to be good for was for super-tough folks. Something less Iron Man or Hulk, and more Captain America or Batman. That's cool and all, but it's far from the "Epic" advertised.

Well, since this thread was startd to showcase characters built with the system rather than a soapbox to stand on and bitch about it; I think I'll showcase a few characters I've built with it.

As an aside my troop and I have modified the Superhuman template slightly. All characters gain 3 power slots rather than 1 when they erupt. That being said, here is the first character...

The Iron Shadow

Race/Template: Human/Superhuman

Classes/levels: Investigator 1/Superhuman 1/Aberrant 1

Allegience: Individualist

Abilities

Strength: 14 (16)

Dexterity: 14 (16)

Constitution: 15

Intelligence: 15

Wisdom: 14

Charisma: 10

Quantum: 2

Hit Points: 31

BAB: +2

AC: 14

Saves:

Fortitude: +6

Reflex: +5

Will: +5

General Feats:

Personal Firearms Proficiency

Persuasive

Combat Martial Arts

Background Feats:

Shadowy Past

Mega Feats and Enhancements:

Mega Strength (Quantum Leap)

Mega Dexterity (Cat Footed)

Skills: (Includes ability and Feat bonuses)

Balance: 4

Bluff: 4

Climb: 4

Computer Use: 3

Disable Device: 3

Drive: 5

Gather information: 4

Intimidate: 8

Investigate 6

Know: Behavioral Sciences 3

Know: Civics 3

Know: Current Events 3

Know: Popular Culture 3

Know: Streetwise 5

Listen 6

Move Silently 7

Profession - Police 4

Research 5

Search 6

Sense Motive 3

Spot 6

Swim 4

Powers:

Force Field

Invulnerability (Piercing, Slashing, Bludgeoning)

Aberrations:

Aberrant Eyes

Background:

Harry Blake is a third generation cop who had just recieved his promotion to detective. His eruption took place a couple of days after a congradulatory party thrown by his family when his supposedly senile grandfather let him in on a family secret.

After being shown a decade's worth of newspaper clippings Harrison finally came to believe that his His Grandpa had actually been a masked vigilante called "The Iron Shadow." While Harry had trouble believing his grandpa's tale about a "mystic" Tibetan potion that rendered it's drinker nearly invulnerable for a short period of time, he was finally convinced when the old man demonstrated the potion on himself.

When Harrison drank the potion, it was like drinking liquid fire. He felt like his whole body would burn to ash and his head would explode. He passed out.

Harry woke up a few hours later and found that the potion, whatever it was, had been the catalyst for his eruption and he now had a level of invulnerability along with a few superhuman enhancements. So far he hasn't publicly revealed the fact that he has erupted and continues to excel in his day job as a Homicide detective. At night however, he carries on his grandfather's crime fighting legacy as the new Iron Shadow.

Kane Knight:

I don't think so but then again, I haven't reaaly looked either. Character sheets are, IMHO, a window dressing that only uses up valuable page space.

Docteur_fox:

That page was actually originally printed in the players guide. While I haven't gone through all of the background material with a fine tooth comb, I have noticed several modifications to the timeline. They take into account events that happened after the core book was printed.

Okay, now that that is out of the way; my group and I are about to start a small 2008 based story arc using the D20 rules. It's going to be a short game because we want to playtest some modifications to the character creation process.

The two main modifiers we are testing out are: 3 powerslots to start, +1 ever other level rather than the 1 Novas normally get. Also Mega Attribute feats add the character's Quantum to the relevent stat bonus rather than the actual stat. We are still trying to hammer out a decent Mega Strength chart but for the purposes of this playtest we can live without it.

Also, I've asked that each of the players use a different core class then everyone else (I have 4 players, so with the inclusion of a character for me, it all works out).

Here is the character roster;

Travis "Chronos" Murray: Travis was a 97 year old janitor before erupting with the ability to alter the flow of time. During his eruption he happened to devolve himself back into a 24 year old, loosing much of his memories and life experiences in the process. He has Time Control and Mega Charisma. Scoundral 1/Superhuman 2

Artemis "Artemis" Jones: Artemis is an investigator working for the RCMP and she erupted while working to track down and capture a serial child killer. She has Telepathy, Mind Scanning, Telekinesis, Mega Dexterity and Mega Wisdom. Investigator 2/Superhuman 1

Kayliegh Gibson: Kayliegh is a University student working to achieve her PhD in Biology. She erupted during an attempted date rape. Kayliegh gained the Healing power along with the Quills and Tendril Body Modifications. She also has Mega Intelligence. Scholar 3

Brent "Lancer" Bell: Brent was a private in the Canadian Armed Forces before erupting during a training excercise. Now he is the poster child for Canadian Novas and is being pushed further and further into the spotlight. Brent gained Energy Absorption, Quantum Bolt and Mega Dexterity from his eruption. Warrior 2/Superhuman 1

Simon Whitechapel Simon was a high school student who was training to be a professional gymnast and martial artist before his eruption. He erupted with all of his statistics at the Mega level. Entertainer 2/Warroer 1 (My character).

All of the characters have now been inducted into Operation: Northern Guard. This is a quasi-military program designed to utilize Novas in the defence of Canada and it's interests. It bears similarities to both Project: Utopia and other National teams such as Nippontai.

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn:
Kane Knight:
I don't think so but then again, I haven't reaaly looked either. Character sheets are, IMHO, a window dressing that only uses up valuable page space.
Thewy're also a great organisational tool when you have a troop with a short attention span.

Since I GM most of the time, I got used to drafting up most of my characters on scratch paper. I have tons of notecards around with NPCs and mooks and bit players of all sorts.

However, it's much easier to plan out a Player Character, or a group of them, when you have those pretty window dressings to look at.

Archived