Aberrant RPG - Aspergers' Syndrome Flaw

Ghostwriter

Aspergers' Syndrome is a unique disability that is related to autism. It affects a person socially, physically and mentally, yet its sufferers are often highly intelligent.

System: This Flaw has a prerequisite of Intelligence 3 before it can be taken. It immediately grants a +1 - +3 difficulty on all social rolls depending on the severity of the disability, and +1 difficulty at least on all Wits and Rapport rolls. The 5-point version also means that you must take a heightened and/or dulled sense of your choice - at 3 points, you may only take one or the other.

Since the Merits/Flaws submission page isn't working, I thought I'd submit my Aspergers' Flaw here. I've decided not to include physical problems, as my clumsiness could just be me. Feel free to tell me what you think.

Codex

• 1 month later...

On the difficulty front I would point out that even a +1 difficulty is BAD. The average person has a dice pool of 2~4 dice. Needing a 7 or better, that would mean that, on average, they would fail to interact socially on a daily basis. At +3, all social actions would be prohibatively difficult.

Okay, I'm changing this to an Autism/Aspergers' Syndrome Flaw:

System: At three points, you have Aspergers' Syndrome, and you must have a prereq of Int 3 before you can consider taking it. All rolls involving Rapport and Etiquette are at +1 difficulty, while one sense must be heightened or dulled (one die off all rolls affecting that sense, or one die added.) This can be a mixed blessing, as it can involve a low pain threshold (one die off all Resistance rolls) or difficulty to deal with intense sensations (roll Willpower at standard difficulty to 'snap out of it.')

At five dots, you have full blown autism. All Social and Perception rolls are at +2 difficulty at least. At the ST's discretion, other modifiers may be added to other Attributes. In addition, at least one sense must be enhanced or dulled, as mentioned above.

Please, tell me what you think of the new and improved version.

Thanks,

Codex

I think full blow Autism should be nearly deabilitating, as it is in RL. Interesting for an NPC, less so for a PC.

Mind you, in another game, I had a villian with it. He grew in power and ability by drawing off man-made and natural disasters, and his autism would disappear. Unfortunately, he had to sustain the destruction to keep his enhanced operating ability.

Also, his trials were interesting.

Archived