Aberrant RPG - Mal and Mercer

Wakinyan

Do you think these two are still friends?

I can see that they might have had a falling out over beliefs about mankind as a whole but I was also pondering that maybe they are still friends and that all of this from the Nday event to the war is something the two have orchestrated together to strengthen humanity for something else that Mercer knows is coming in the future.

I have never read Adventure and only some of Trinity so I am not sure if this has been elaborated in either of those books. Has it?

What I have read of their relationship, I would guess that they are.

Something akin to Professor X and Magneto in X-men. Neither would actively try to kill the other, however they would both feel the world would be better off without the other, not that they would not morn the loss of their old friend.

They would also not betray the secrets that they share.

Mal back in the 1920's was in love in Mercer. However they had disagreements over how the Aeon council should try and change the world. Mercer believing it should stay in the background while Mal believing it come forward and take a laeding (as opposed to guiding) role in the world. Mal idea being at lot closer in my view to how Trinty Aeon council is than Mercer view.

I have had the thought that the hold Aberrant War and Novas was done in such away that it would force the Aeon council to come out and rule. After all they would be the only ones who could pull humanity back together after the war. It would also explain why Mal backed down the way he did, after what he wanted to do was force the Aeon council out not destory the planet. What away to get your own back for being turned down 100 years before.

• 4 weeks later...

Its ironic that well meaning Mercer and the Aeon Society would back Proteus... which effectively does to Novas what Mal (then Primoris) suggested doing to humans only Proteus does so on a more brutal, subvertive and inhumane level...

So what Mercer brushed off as mistreatment of humans he gave a triple stamp of approval when regarding Novas.

Kind of makes you wonder who is the bigger ego, Mal or Mercer... and, ironically, to think that Mercer forced Mals hand by refusing him the chance to lead baselines futures, scarcely half a century before Mercer decided that NOVAS futures must be lead instead. Isnt that kind of odd coming from a Nova himself?

My thoughts on it are that the Aeon society out-grew Mercer and spun off on its own. Proteus doesnt sound like something the Mercer we know from Adventure would back. It just doesnt make sense that a man who refused a superior intellect to lead humans would endorse humans making slaves out of superior intellects.

I also wonder if Mercer would buy into Teragen philosophy. Mals point of view changed alot from his days as Primoris, mostly concerning his desire to lead and shape baseline lives. He went from "Novas (Inspired) should lead humans to a better future" to "Novas should seek a better future unfettered by baselines" Would Mal respect Mercers outlook as "I choose to use my powers in a way that benefits baselines, that is "what thou will" to me"?

If someone has knowledge of Trinity and how the Trinity events relate to this, let me know. I dont know even a smidge of Trinity and Id like to piece it all together.

I have incredible doubts that Mercer actually likes Proteus around. I suspect that he no longer has the power to reign in Proteus, or is in the dark as to it's full purpose.

I mean, come on, it's been 90 years! The Aeon Society that Mercer began all those years ago is certainly not the one that exists today. I find it unlikely that Mercer holds nearly as much control over the society as he once did, for the good reason that he's not the kind to have set up Aeon to be a dictatorship. When he left, political forces would have forced Aeon into a new direction, and it would have only taken 10-20 years for that to happen.

As I've said previously on these boards, If Mercer still exists in the Aberrant era, he's either working frantically to rebuild an effective power base to try and reform Aeon's holdings, or he's realised that anything he could do would be too little, too late, and headed off to the Trinity era to work on the dream further off into the future.

Mercer is only one man, and I think people put far too much faith in him...

IIRC, Mercer's involvement with Aeon during the Aberrant era is outlined in the Player's Handbook. From the sound of it, he hates some of Utopia's and Proteus's actions and Project Pandora is the only group he knows he can fully trust.

And the change took 30 years (yay Player's Guide).

Archived