Aberrant RPG - How Would You...?

Cody

Heres a question for you insightful folks. How would you handle creating a character that was very versatile or powerful with a particular quantum power but for the character concept didn't want the abilities that high levels of attributes and mega-attributes would give?

An high intellect/mega-intellect score goes well with a power like cyber-kinetic but what about the character that is just extremely good at quantum construct? The player would want a decent die pool but not the abilities that go along with buying high levels of manipulation and mega-manipulation.

How would you handle that?

Change the rules. One variant I've heard of that I don't necessarily disagree with is to change the value of MegaStats when using powers dice pools. The dice of powers have the 2,2,2,3 sucesses for rolls of 7-10 and MegaStats only get the base 1. However, so as not to hamstring megastats completely, if the role is limited strictly to the Megastat dice pool (throwing a punch, doing a business deal, being perceptive) or involves the use of a Megastat enhancement, then the MegaStats 2,2,2,3 success option is restored.

It makes dots in a power more useful and allows you to have the character who is good at say, Telekinesis but isn't SpiderMan agility wise.

Just change the mega stat assoicated with the power to something that makes more sense with the character concept.

Or use strengths & weaknesses to customize the power so that the character can get the effect wanted without rolling tons of dice.

For example you might take 5 levels of weakness on your Q-Construct power reducing it to a level 2 power. Buy 5 dots of it (15 NP), 1 dot of Force Field (3 NP), 1 dot of Mega Stamina (3 NP), and increase his Manipulation attribute by 3 (1 NP). That gives you a base of 10 dice to throw around and 8 Nova Points left to spend without going crazy on the Mega Manipulation and without loading up on Taint. You will probably spend 5 more NP buing up Quantum unless you take Flaws and buy all 4 required Quantum with Freebie point. Your Q-Construct might be limited with the weaknesses, but your PC will be good at it.

You could even take the above example and change the attribute to something else to get a similar number of dice and spend 3 NP on the matching mega attribute.

James 'Prodigy' Meehan

I think I'm missing something simple in your explanation cuz it doesn't quite make sense to me. It sounds like your variant is designed to lessen the impact of mega stats? That would make it easier to run my character concept but penalize other players wouldn't it?

Sandy Davis- Miss-Fortune

I see what you're getting at but it doesn't really help me with the problem at hand. It works very well with the example you use but what about the nova with warp? Does his perception shoot through the roof only when he opens a warp gate? It gets a little hard to explain IC.

Meridian

Changing the stat might work. Though I need to define the FX and think about it. The other way is a little involved but sounds workable too.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cody:
James 'Prodigy' Meehan
I think I'm missing something simple in your explanation cuz it doesn't quite make sense to me. It sounds like your variant is designed to lessen the impact of mega stats? That would make it easier to run my character concept but penalize other players wouldn't it?
It was just a suggestion. As I said, MegaStats would work as cannon in any role in which you were using enhancements (Discerning Mind, Quantum Attunement, etc) or using them in an Attributes/Abilities only related role (fighting, hacking, inventing, rapporting, intimidating, etc) so they still have their place.

Yes, it would reduce their effectiveness but at the same time it increases the effectiveness in the dots of powers (So you don't have someone having a single dot of Quantum Vampire and pouring the rest in to MegaStamina even though the concept doesn't lend itself to high soak and endurance.) Basically it helps your situation, but it's not a completer cure all. If I had one of those I'd be writing my own games.

Archived