Aberrant RPG - Mastery Question/ Concerns

Asche

basic definition for Mastery 1 as in the APG for effect: 'The powers effect is doubled."

OK now the question. Blastra* has Quantum 6 and Mastery on her Quantum bolts. She also has the Armor Piercing and area affect extras. ( she has 2 different Bolts). Does Mastery increase the effect of the Extras as well? If not, why not? The Extra's could be defined as the effect of the power could they not?

This would mean that the AP extra would ignore 4 points of soak per skill success and the area affect useage would also double.

I am leaning toward allowing mastery this application but am weary and concerned about play balance. Thus I am at your Storyteller Think-Tank's whim. Please help. confused

*the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

You could argue it either way:

(1) Mastery is an extra, albeit a very specialized one. It therefore has the same relationship with the extras that any other extra would have. It's intended to add to the intrinsic power, not the power and other extras.

(2) At Q6, a certain number of extras become 'free' and do not count as adding to the intrinsic power level, which would otherwise raise the quantum level of the ability. Essentially by becoming Q6 you have re-written your possessed powers slightly in light of your finesse with control of your quantum energies and these lesser extras are no longer really extras.

Since these extras are 'free' (provided you don't go over what's allowed by Q6 without raising the power levels) they become part of the core power. Therefore the improvements by gained by mastery affect the spiffy things that the lesser extras provide.

Having said all of that, since you specifically asked for ST inputs, this is an area where there are no blanket answers because ultimately this isn't a question of logic or fairness. This is going to affect playability and therefore any ST should take a careful look at how mastered powers are going to effect the troupe and the campaign.

Just as an ST may refuse to allow certain power combination because they are problematic, they need to look at the effect any specific efforts with mastery are going to have.

Example: Half the characters in my troupe have used variations on Quantum Construct at one time or another. Despite that; there was one player that was never allowed to use it. Why? Because he was the prat that would inevitably decide to overrun New York with a plague of quantum cockroaches or have an energy King Kong climb skyscrapers.

Except when we were specifically playing cinematic games, in which case anyone could have anything they wanted.

Quote:
(2) At Q6, a certain number of extras become 'free' and do not count as adding to the intrinsic power level, which would otherwise raise the quantum level of the ability. Essentially by becoming Q6 you have re-written your possessed powers slightly in light of your finesse with control of your quantum energies and these lesser extras are no longer really extras.

What becomes Free? Idont have my books readily accessible right now.. please elaborate.

The reference you want is in the APG pg 120 in the grey sidebar. At Q1 - Q5, adding an extra to a power automatically increases the level of the power by 1 for each extra you add and no extras can be added to a level 3 power. At Q6 and above, that changes.

The chart on page 120 shows the number of extras that can be added to the power without increasing the power in level, and of course you can now add extras to a level 3 power which was impossible prior to reaching Q6.

The argument is that if an extra is added and does not increase the level of the power then you have effectively rewritten the power and simply changed the quantum level required for using that power. An example of that is the Biomanipulation power from WWPI which is a level 3 in all respects with the exception of requiring a minimum quantum level of Q8 to use, if I remember correctly.

When I say 'free', I am saying that the extra is being added without resorting to twinkery involving weaknesses and yet still does not change the level of the power. The only way this is possible is the increase in Quantum of the character, which represents a greater control of quantum abilities as opposed to the newtonian view of "more power".

And you're welcome.

[ 05-20-2002: Message edited by: Jack Chance ]

• 1 month later...

One thing to remember when when you have Quantum 6 and above is that while you may be able to add an EXTRA to a power for free without having to raide that power's effective level, this does not apply to the Mastery EXTRA. Mastery explicitly says it always raises the effective level of a power and does not apply to this Quantum 6+ freebie EXTRA rule.

If you want game balance then i would say the mastery should only apply to the power's effect and not the extra's effect. But if you want to go with cold hard logic, then consider this:

DANTE is a plasma spewing nova with an aggravated quantum bolt. Later he buys the area extra (now he projects a sheet of plasma as opposed to a bolt. I think we would be correct in assuming that the entire area of effect has the advantage of causing aggravated damage. So by this line of reasoning we see that the rule for an extra applies to the power and it's extras. So a mastery would double the effect of the extras as well. The question there, however is HOW do you double the effect of some extras? Reduced quantum cost, Aggravated, impervious, MIRV

Which is why mastery, more than most powers and extras, needs to be considered carefully by the player and the ST to ensure its going to fit within the context of the campaign. The ST really needs to review not only what the mastery is capable of but also what application would break the campaign and/or detract from the entire troupes fun.

I'm a big believer in cooperation among the troupe since the day our ST bemoaned the fact that his 'mystery' scenario wasn't working because we were shortcutting all the corners with quantum poweres. It was interesting to see the look on his face when asked the question;

"Dave, what did you think was going to happen with three telepaths, one precog and two espers?"

The troupe has to work together or its just not going to go well.

On the idea of game balance... I have to say I disagree with the rationale but you're right to say its a matter of concern. In my mind its not a case of game balance per se but rather the nature of what mastery does. If that gives the ST pause then they need to toss it out of the campaign. If it will fit within the campaign and its allowed then why hobble it?

The effect on the extras is why this one and only extra always increases the level of the power. As always mileage may vary from campaign to campaign though.

Thank you all for your concern and ideas, It has helped me come to a decision on many aspects of Mastery in my Existence.

Jack: I am sorry I did not notice your grace sooner. Thank you.

[ 06-27-2002: Message edited by: Asche Lonn ]

Archived