Alternative Psi Powers

Grizzly

I think this one could last some time and I have to make some explanations beforehand. ::devil

We have been playing TRINITY for quite a long time now, going through the campaign and the Alien-Encounter stories. At the beginning, we started with those core book powers, adding the alternative powers of the "Order"-books when they where published. After some time all players with aptitudes not included in the additional books so far ( before AuAu) started complaining. So we tried the freeform rules from TPG. Because we had two newbies in roleplaying the whole thing go nuts, because they got quite some problems with those rules. ::confused ::smiley4

So we tried an other way. When reaching a new mode level, the core book power is received for free. If someone wants an alternative power, he pays (mode level)XP for it. For those who hadn´t any alternative powers we made it possible to make some for themselves. The new power had been introduced to the group and when everybody agreed to it, it came into play. ::thumbsup

Till now, the whole thing runs quite smooth and adds more diversity to the core rules.

If there is any interest, I can put those Powers in here. (At least for Clairsentience, because that are those I have made. For the other aptitudes I have to ask the others.) ::teleport

I just want to hear some objective voices to them, perhaps there are some points that should be corrected (overpowered, underpowered, some other points of interest or any other mistake I have made with them) ::devilangel

OK! You asked for it! ::biggrin

Some of the stuff hasn´t been gametested yet, so they are still "experimental"

Naturally, these powers are not very interesting for freestyle users. But perhaps they can be inspiring for them. ::smile

Here is the first one:

Psychonavigation

• • Avoidance: Most people who can track down others are adept in the opposite, too. Avoidance helps in loosing following persons or to avoid running in one of those nasty security guards on site. It is like a kind of noetic „early warning system“ with yourself in the center that shows you those persons you want to avoid in some timely advance, enabling you to get out of sight early enough. Another usefull aspect of avoidance is the fact that you can use it in a crowded place, too. Knowing other people moves a subtle moment in advance enables you to dodge through the crowd unhampered, speeding your progress to the best.

System : Spend one Psi and roll Psi. Each success rolled equals an additional die that your character receives to Stealth and Intrusion or to Athletics if you want to move through a crowded place faster without needing to use your „ellbows“. The effect lasts for a scene. At four dots in Psychonavigation, you can expand this effect on a small group of ( Psi/2 ) additional persons. Unfortunately, this effect is only effective when all these people are not further than ( Psi ) meters away from your character and your character must be able to communicate with all of them to guide the entire group. At five dots, double the number of additional persons and the effective range.

I have converted this one from one of the examples at the TPG. It is quite an old one for me, but one of the most usefull powers. ::smokin

The best example for this power was in one of my favourite movies, Minority Report,later(made it up long before the movie was made). The scene, where Anderson (Tom Cruise) is on the run with the female Precog and she helps him to escape. (If you haven´t seen the movie yet, it is a great movie, worth watching!)

Here are two others.

Psychonavigation

• • • Sharpshooter: Never forget that the possibility of knowing your targets movements in advance could give you an edge in ranged combat situations. Sharpshooter uses a kind of Dowsing effect to follow the movements of an aquired target, mantaining the lock even if the target cannot be seen or heard. However, Sharpshooter cannot penetrate thick structures like bulkheads, stone walls or solid rock.

System : Spend one Psi point and roll Psi. Any success adds one die to the accuracy of your weapon, the maximum of additional dice equals your Psychonavigation rating. To be able to use those additional dice, you have to make a free Psi roll per target. Success means a valid lock on the target. The effect lasts for Psi rounds. At four dots of Psychonavigation the duration of the effects lasts for Psi *2 rounds and at five dots for an entire scene.

Made this one up when I saw the description of the Sureshot-Gauntlet in the Technology Manual. It is based on a Clairsentience effect, so CLears should be able to generate a similar power on their own. ::unsure

Psychonavigation

• • • • Zen-Gunnery: Clear combat pilots and Gunners have a Reputation as deadly enemies and this technique is one of the reasons behind it. It combines part of the techniques Dowsing, Farseeing and Sharpshooter to a deadly package. A Clear who wants to learn Zen-Gunnery must have learned these three techniques must have quite some abilities in the Telesthesia Mode. Zen-Gunnery does not funktion with missile weapons of any kind, using selfguiding projectiles interferes with this technique, because it adds too much additional variations.

System : Spend two Psi and one Willpower and roll Psi. Every success adds one die to the accuracy of your weapons, the maximum of additional dice equals your Psychonavigation rating. To be able to use those additional dice, you have to make a free Psi roll per target. Success means a valid lock on the target. The effect lasts for Psi *2 rounds. Zen-Gunnery has a Range of Psi times 10 km. At Psychonavigation 5 you can use Zen-Gunnery on multiple targets simultaneously. The maximum is the characters permanent Psi score. The range increases to Psi times 50 km. Your character must have at least three dots in Telesthesia to be able to use Zen-Gunnery.

OK. This one is new and we haven´t been able to test it in play, so far. The name isn´t very good, perhaps you have a better idea. ::rolleyes

Would be nice to get some replies.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
No interest? No response.

Think, I close this one.

Sorry I didn't see this post sooner and that no one else replied. I think they were some great variations and I would love to see more. I wish I had more time to come up with those things, we have had slight variations but nothing worth typing up. My players are too content and I haven't been a player in a long while, when I am one of my favorite things to do is come up with new variations of existing powers.

Sorry no one else was interested.

Archived