[Fiction] Babylon Reborn: Upper Level

Velvet

The upper level of Club Babylon is comprised largely of open space, with a broad expanse of dark hardwood flooring surrounding a large stage and DJ booth opposite the spiral stairs leading both up and down. The lighting is dim, even moreso than on the other floors of the club, though pulses of scarlet and violet light flash intermittently through the room in a seductive visual counterpoint to the steady beat of the music.

There is a bar here, too, though smaller and rather more informal, and clusters of small black mosaic cafe tables line the walls on a narrow strip of heavily-patterned carpet in countless shades of crimson... No doubt to minimize the damage from any overindulgent or exuberant patrons.

The decor here remains at least superficially true to the theme utilized elsewhere in the building, with Babylonian-influenced designs traced on the dark walls in gold and brilliant stained-glass double doors leading out onto the spacious balcony that overlooks North Clark Street. The throbbing pulse of the music, the lighting, and the rather pared-down furnishings however create a slightly darker, more modern atmosphere in keeping with this floor's intended purpose.

I nod appreciatively. Eufiber, huh? I'd never touch the stuff, myself, but if it helps her look that good, I ain't complainin'. I gotta admit, I had that creepy, hirsute little troll Buendia pegged for a fairy, a moron, and a hedonistic little shitstain for sure, but then you meet the guy you realize that this is something that happened to him, talk about wish fulfillment aside. I don't what goes on inside Ani's head that this is what came out, bit I figure any guy who repairs his own car can't be all bad.

I give the goddess a peck on the cheek and cradle her hip in my mitt. "And don't you just look spectacular in it, too." We crawl up the spiral staircase, the bass din of the upper floor beginning to numb our ears the second we start. I admit the place doesn't look half bad, but I'm beginning to think the downstairs lounge might be more my speed. Hey, fuck it, Erin wants a drink and some dancing, and I'm here to oblige her tonight. We can always slip downstairs later on. Patting her on the hip, a few degress too south to be anything approaching platonic, I tell her "I'll catch up in a second, doll. Whaddya have?"

Stellar raised a eyebrow slightly, a small smirk on her lips as the man who is usually full of piss and vinegar in the chatroom, breading, insulting, and talking down to everybody actually paid her compliment.

“My, my. Keep this up and you might just ruin your reputation.” Stellar commented jokingly as they headed up the spiral stairs. With each step she could hear and feel the bass as it gradually caused her hips to subconsciously sway in time with it.

She let the pat slide, shooting Machina and sideways smirk as he took her drink order.

“I’ll take a Mojito.”

[App 3, M-App 2, 6 successes on style, Cha 3, M-Char 1, Almost Live, Awe Inspiring, Soothe all active.]

• 2 weeks later...

A Mojito? Fuck me. Gentleman conisseur of drink that I was, I'd had a few in my day. What anyone saw in them was beyond me, but I'd do my duty, for certain. Fuck it, Papa liked 'em, figure they can't be all bad.

I playfully pat the goddess on the shoulder as I beeline for the bar, smiling back, "You got it. Meet up with you in a sec."

She hits the dance floor, I hit the counter. The barkeep is a wise-looking fella probably about my age, or at least the age I ought to look. "Barkeep!", I call out to his back, to which he turns around with a smile that speaks of polite professionalism and unspoken recognition of a kindred spirit. He probably makes me for older than I am; the body says I'm green, but the posture speaks volumes, and he's got me pegged as a nova, just from my bein' here.

"Sure thing, boss. What'll y'have?"

Not to be outdone, I crack a grin and answer him, "A mojito for my lovely date, and one of whatever the girliest drink in the house is."

The good sport's clearly chuckling inside at my request, and nods appreciatively. "You got it. Two mojitos comin' up, there, chief."

I smile back through my teeth and light up. The old hat fills two glasses, crushes some mint and swaggers the cocktails my way. I throw him a fifty and head for one of the smaller tables not meant for more than a couple that's closer to where Erin is making the rest of the amateurs look like awkward high school kids at prom and take a seat, making sure her eyes catch mine as I do. Another drag. I sit and take a sip of my drink. "Huh. Not too shabby", I mutter to myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Stellar enjoyed herself as her date fetched the drinks. She always enjoyed dancing and now with her new superhuman coordination and grace, there were times that she even impressed herself. Tonight though, she was taking it easy, not wanting to work up a sweat after having just arrived and so she maneuvered over to the table Machina had claimed and took a seat.

“Thank you.” she told him with a smile as she took the glass and sipped it a few times, bringing a pleased smile to her lips.

“So.. what do you think of the place?” she asked as she looked about for a moment, taking in the décor.

[App 3, M-App 2, 6 successes on style, Cha 3, M-Char 1, Almost Live, Awe Inspiring, Soothe all active.]

• 3 weeks later...

I make a show of lookin' around the joint like I'm scrutinizin' it, but really what I'm doing is more like appreciating. Jugs had class, I had to hand it to her. The ground floor was for the rabble, no doubt about it. The lower floor, from what I hear, must be seedy. Seedy enough that I'd enjoy it if I was on my own, anyhow. But the upper floor was pure class. I confess to myself that I'm not old enough to have enjoyed this kind of thing when it was new, but this place has some timeless charm that I can appreciate, even if the dipshit kinder can't. I scrunch up my chin and nod. "I haveta admit. I like the joint. If it was closer to home, I might even frequent it."

My fingers find the double-shot of whisky I ordered as an afterthought to the mojito. I give Erin a passing glint of my eye, sniff the drink briskly, and cross myself - spectacles, testicles, watch, wallet - before slugging it down and slamming the empty vessel on the table. I glance a quick one around to see if there are any Australians in the crowd; nobody takes the bait. Too bad. In fact, it looks to me like all eyes are on my date. A couple of toughs dotted throughout the room are undressing her with their eyes, and wearin' what she is, they ain't got a lot of work ahead of them. Can't say I rest any blame on 'em, I mean, hell, I think she looks dynamite, too. In spite of that, I find myself smirking and begging for trouble. After a sec, my eyes wander back to my date, who I can tell catches my intent well enough. I flash her a cagey grin. "Heh. Sorry. Old habits."

Stellar looked into her drink for a moment and shifted a little, letting her diaphanous gown sway and dance lightly along the faint currents made by the moving bodies on the floor, each small movement of the material offering a faint promise of exposed flesh, though it always managed to keep her just teasingly concealed.

“Old habits, eh? So how is it that I have managed to break you of some of those old habit? I mean, I have even managed to coax Vulcan from his cave, and that is something that I seemed to gather was no small feet, especially given you general disdain for most of the population.”

Stellar grinned faintly as she looked at Machina and took another drink of her mojito before lifting the glass to press it to her temple, enjoying the cool caress of the glass on her flesh warmed from the dancing.

“You picked me up with your nifty belt and did the whole hot rod thing on the way in. We’re here and have hardly said a word and I have danced by myself/ So level with me. What’s the deal? Just shy? Or are you just a slow starter who needs some time to feel comfortable before he can relax a bit and have some fun?” Stellar asked as the small stars sparkled around her, warmly lighting her face making her look almost like some angel or a dream given flesh as she smiled warmly.

Archived