Avatar the Last Airbender: A Second Chance - Chapter 1c: Misfortunate Encounters

Running through the storm was a horrible thing to do it had been several times by now that the poor soul had crashed face first into the mud that covered the earth city of Ba Sing Se, not a single soul was on sight and the rain drowned most of it´s screams down, desperate it ran towards the only flame light it could find.

Running like a bull, the mud covered soul trampled over the doors and skid to a halt on the ground, barely with any breath he managed to eak out. "Help him, he is in trouble."

Jer had remained in the inn, sipping the last of his tea and relaxing. Though, he maintained reservations himself, the expedition seemed interesting, and perhaps the others would let him in. He'd see.

Then, a crack sounded as he caught sight of an exhausted, mud-covered man, barrel through the doors and collapse.

The patrons starting in shock, but Jer was already out of his seat and moving to the downed figure.

"Damn, why must a poor soul be out in a night like this?" Jer asked in empathy, as he lifted up the mud-covered visitor. "Get a tea and soup for him," Jer shouted to the innkeeper "On me!"

He stopped as if putting something together in his head, then turned while supporting the staggering man. "Who's in trouble?"

"My boy...My little Yip, he is outside the city walls! I came in through a crack on the wall, nobody could answer me, someone caught him outside the city, please help him, oh spirits please help him!" the man begged at Jer´s feet "Please help him!"

Those words took the heart out of any resistance Jer might have had to going out in the storm, but frankly, he had no interest in letting anything happen to a child in a storm like this. He could remember the terror of the storms as a boy, and felt that boy-Jer call him to help.

"I will. I promise." Jer turned and darted for his room, pulling out his custom-sheathed axe, for he doubted the city guards would be as hard-hearted as to cause this kind of trouble. Extra clothing he disdained for time, and trust in his fortitude.

Returning to the main public room, he went to the pained visitor. "Right, which side of the city were you at?"

"To the east of here, the wall is close by, there is a merchant road that´s not much used anymore." the man swallowed a big gulp of air, his mad race through the city had tired him out "I was coming back home with my son through it when something, no, someone took him to the forest towards the mountains at the north of the city."

"Please find him, he is the only thing I have left."

Lightning rolled through the sky, illuminating the tall spires and walls of Ba Sing Se, the great wall seemingly unpassable except for a fine crack, the guards were nowhere to be seen around the door, but the door itself was left ajar, as ajar as a great stone column can be, something was obviously amiss with the great door of ba sing se.

Still, the door was left ajar enough for Jer to be able to leave through the crack, the rain rolling through the streets and some of the waterways had already overflown filled with filthy water and garbage from the streets.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it saved time, but something like this was undoubtedly sometime to mention somewhere, after all, nothing good came of guards abandoning their posts without a good reason. Jer went through the crack, heedless of the dirt and water. He didn't really ever have special clothes that needed protecting from the elements.

Leaving Ba Sing Se was like leaving a crowded room and into an open field, the difference was almost oppressing, of course that was mostly when you leave with a clear weather, on this night with the heavy rain and the storm clouds, only the flashing of thunder lighted up the things around Jer, things he figured were truly wrong.

All around Jer, the guards that were to be posted on the great door of the city, were strewn as if attacked by some large force, large tracts of land were missing, but the guards seemed all to be alive, ruling out bandits or pirates, whatever it had been it had left a very obvious trail into the forest, advancing some shadowy steps, Jer could hear a very faint crying come from within the canopy, and a scream calling FATHER from within.

Why did he get into this? Jer was doubting and fearful for a brief moment, and he wanted nothing more than to return back to the shelter of the great city of Ba Sing Se. But the scream exorcised his fears, and he doggedly moved out to and into the forest.

But though he was raging mad at that which was threatening a child, he retained caution and subtlety enough to advance with stealth rather than charge in.

Click to reveal..

Stealth roll, if applicable

2d6+9=18

Using abilities not really believable from somebody as Jer, he managed to slink through the shadows left by the canopy until about five hundred meters down the way a man dressed like a monk in brown and blue robes.

"Silence child, you should be happy you will be trained on our monastery. A talent like yours can´t be wasted being a merchant son." the monk seemed to be busy trying to start a fire under the canopy, and a small boy seemed to be shivering in the ground, he was hugging his knees to his chest and rocking slightly, on a closer inspection it seemed his feet had been rooted to the ground to avoid any kind of escape attempt. "You won´t be complaining once you learn how to master your abilities, I know I stopped complaining once I saw the results I was getting."

It shocked Jer to see a monk kidnapping a child. His outrage grew a little bit more, but unfortunately (in this case), his long experience as a bounty hunter allowed him to highlight the strength of his opponent.

Physically, the man was as tough as him, an apparently low-level master of Earthbending, and judging by the placement of the scars he DID have, was a good defender as well. Not an easy target, and he supposed he might just have to talk the man out of this.

Nevertheless, he drew his axe, but had it pointing to the ground like a walking stick. Moving to the monk, he broke in sternly, "I however complain that a monk would even contemplate kidnapping a child. This boy-" he gestured to the shivering kid, "-belongs to his father and IS going back to his father. I hope you realize this is the only good thing to do."

• 2 weeks later...

The monk looked up the usually physically imposing man, but being evenly matched he lacked part of his intimidating nature.

"This boy has a gift that his father refuses to accept or allow him to develop, he could turn into a great earth bender master. Bending is an art that is quickly losing it´s essence, unless the properly talented are trained on the old arts, nobody will be left to remember them." looking up and down on the imposing bounty hunter, the monk looked directly at him. "Of course, a charitable donation to the old arts could also make up for the loss of a talented young boy like this one, do you think his father would be willing to pay it up?"

Jer started at the monk for less than a moment before his hand slipped to the axe, and he, focused on a technique taught to him some time back, swiped at the monk's legs with a briefly glowing axehead.

Then, he leaped to the boy, another quick swipe freeing the child from the rock, ad Jer hurled the boy over a shoulder before starting to run away, beginning a desperate race back to Ba Sing Se.

Click to reveal..

(18:55:57) ChatBot: (Jer) logs into the Chat.

(19:00:35) (Jer): 3 Actions

(19:00:39) (Jer): 3 Defenses

(19:01:07) (Jer): Defenses

(19:01:10) (Jer): +11

(19:01:15) ChatBot: (Jer) rolls 2d6 and gets 1,2.

(19:01:19) ChatBot: (Jer) rolls 2d6 and gets 3,2.

(19:01:24) ChatBot: (Jer) rolls 2d6 and gets 1,3.

(19:01:40) (Jer): 14,16,15

(19:02:53) (Jer): Actions

(19:03:16) (Jer): First Action: Chi-Savaging Slice at the Hoodlum Monk's Legs

(19:04:49) (Jer): Second Action: Slice open the rock without hurting the boy, TN 8 according to Kult

(19:10:23) ChatBot: (Jer) rolls 2d6 and gets 1,3.

(19:11:35) (Jer): First Attack: 19-1=18, If hit, does 95 dmg and 15 EP from Enervating 3 ([40x2]+10)

(19:11:47) (Jer): Second Action

(19:11:50) ChatBot: (Jer) rolls 2d6 and gets 4,3.

(19:11:57) (Jer): sux. smile

(19:12:16) (Jer): Third Action: grab the boy and run the dingus away

EP Spent: 5

HP: 160

• 2 weeks later...

As Jer ran trough the forest, the kid felt limp on his shoulder as he ran through the dark forest.

"You will pay for this young man! Just let me get up from here!" the voice of the monk trailed off in the distance as Jer ran faster ahead of himself, the rain was not a big impediment for somebody accustomed to it like him, he was close to getting out of the forest when a tremendous wave of mud rose from the ground, standing in front of vaguely formed mound appeared, soon it grew arms as it stood roughly doubly as tall as him.

"You can`t pass, I won`t allow it." the mound spoke in a deep baritone, the voice itself sounded terrible like hearing a very distant echo inside of a cave. "Nobody gets in or out of Ba Sin Se tonight!"

Jer's eyes widened in horror, such a thing shocked even the hard-boiled man, but he brought the kid to the ground before advancing with drawn axe. "Really? I'll clear a path through you then!"

The intention to attack, many would call foolhardy, but chances of getting around didn't really look better.

Jer howled and darted forward, spinning, slashing and tossing up and down his axe in a fast, astounding effective and workable style, hacking at the muddy thing.

Click to reveal..

Rolling for Jer

(16:45:23) (Jer): Initiative: +8

(16:45:28) ChatBot: (Jer) rolls 2d6 and gets 3,5.

(16:45:40) (Jer): Init Total: 16

(16:54:45) (Jer): Rolling for Mud Thing to save time: +6 Init

(16:54:49) ChatBot: (Jer) rolls 2d6 and gets 6,1.

(16:55:04) (Jer): Thing total: 13

Order:

Jer

Mud Thing

(16:57:15) (Jer): ok...

(16:57:30) (Jer): 3 actions- x3 Repeat Rain Strike

(16:57:39) (Jer): Attack +15

(16:57:48) ChatBot: (Jer) rolls 2d6 and gets 5,3.

(16:57:52) ChatBot: (Jer) rolls 2d6 and gets 6,3.

(16:57:56) ChatBot: (Jer) rolls 2d6 and gets 1,6.

(16:58:19) (Jer): Totals: 23,24,22

(16:59:02) (Jer): Technique Effect: 65 dmg each, every attack has Autofire

(16:59:06) (Jer): 3 defenses

(16:59:29) (Jer): +11

(16:59:35) ChatBot: (Jer) rolls 2d6 and gets 1,2.

(16:59:38) ChatBot: (Jer) rolls 2d6 and gets 5,6.

(16:59:42) ChatBot: (Jer) rolls 2d6 and gets 2,3.

(16:59:54) (Jer): Totals: 14, 22, 16

EP Spent: 17

HP: 160/160

The mud beast roared as Jer`s strikes bit into it`s body, while not being flesh and blood, each axe strike was strong enough to cut through a regular sized tree, and while its bulk decreased with the assault, Jer could see how the rain was it`s ally as it sucked up more mud from the ground to manage it`s bulk.

Lifting up one of its arms, the creature expelled three huge blobs of earth into the sky, which slowly started falling in Jer`s direction. Take your leave! Nobody goes in tonight!

Click to reveal..

Defense: 3 Melee defense

(17:58:28) ChatBot: (Mudthing) rolls 2d6 and gets 4,2.

(17:58:29) ChatBot: (Mudthing) rolls 2d6 and gets 5,1.

(17:58:30) ChatBot: (Mudthing) rolls 2d6 and gets 1,2.

(17:59:49) (Mudthing): Totals: 16, 16, 13

(17:59:56) (Mudthing): All hit

Attack: 3 Ranged

(18:14:33) ChatBot: (Mudthing) rolls 2d6 and gets 4,2.

(18:14:34) ChatBot: (Mudthing) rolls 2d6 and gets 2,5.

(18:14:35) ChatBot: (Mudthing) rolls 2d6 and gets 5,6.

(18:15:13) (Mudthing): Ranged Attacks, Total: 18, 19, 23

The first blob of earth slammed onto Jer, wrapping him in place, and his struggling form was frozen in place for the next two to hit. The blows hammered his body, and punishment lanced his taxed structure.

No... can't die... Gotta bring it down...

With more desperate energy, he broke open out of his mud cocoon, and swang more and more at the lessened creature, looking to bring it down before it could do the same to him.

Click to reveal..
(13:05:28) (Jer): Jer: First action is to break the tangle, which is pretty much an auto-hit and destory

(13:05:38) (Jer): and x2 Repeat Rains

(13:05:43) ChatBot: (Jer) rolls 2d6 and gets 2,4.

(13:05:47) ChatBot: (Jer) rolls 2d6 and gets 5,2.

(13:05:59) (Jer): Totals: 21,22

(13:06:20) (Jer): Defenses:

(13:06:25) ChatBot: (Jer) rolls 2d6 and gets 4,5.

(13:06:29) ChatBot: (Jer) rolls 2d6 and gets 6,6.

(13:06:33) ChatBot: (Jer) rolls 2d6 and gets 3,1.

(13:06:56) (Jer): Totals: 20,23,15

(13:07:38) (Jer): Current HP: 103/160, EP: 115/140

"You are not getting throug-" the monster recoiled from the renewed assault by Jer. "Get out!" a great wave of mud was lifted from the ground as it collapses upon itself in an outward explosion, it was not strong enough to damage anything, but the whole of the terrain was covered in a thick mud up to about half the calf. "Do not go in!"

The mud had already covered a great deal of the entrance to the wall, without an earth bender the entrance would be impossible.

Click to reveal..

Melee Defense:

(00:28:09) ChatBot: (Mudthing) rolls 2d6 and gets 2,5.

(00:28:10) ChatBot: (Mudthing) rolls 2d6 and gets 3,2.

(00:28:58) ChatBot: (Mudthing) rolls 2d6 and gets 4,2.

(00:54:30) (Mudthing): Totals: 17, 15, 16. Both hit.

Jer bent over, panting in exhausted relief as he surveyed the remains of the... what the heck was that thing? This is something to tell the others, assuming that they believe this story. Then, he straightened up, and found his axe was caught in the mud.

Scowling, he wrenched it out and took equally difficult steps around, working his way just a few steps back to find the kid. "Kid? I got the monster."

"I'm a bounty hunter, so some say I am. Others think I'm the worst man in the world, except they're the bad guys I stop. Name's Jer. Your dad needed someone to help find you, and I'd promised I'd bring you back, Yip. Now let's-" Jer's satisfied and calm voice trailed off as he saw the mounds of earth and mud blocking the entrance to Ba Sing Se.

"Okay, what's left of the monster is blocking the entrance." He admitted. The entrance. Was that what left the guards strewn about?

"I think that's what attacked the guards at the door." He told Yip. "Let's see if they're awake and have some Earthbenders who can get us in."

Lifting and sheathing his axe, he smiled at the boy and led him onward, a brief bit of literal calm in the storm, though both had the weirdness and the uncertainty of this night weighing at the back of their minds.

The thunder kept rolling on the sky, as a heavy rain fell down on the great city of Ba Sing Se, as Jer carried the little Yip into what used to be an entrance to it, now covered into rock hard mud, guards were strewn around the entrance, still unconscious since the last time Jer passed through.

A particularly strong flash of lightning shot through the sky, illuminating the whole area almost like daylight, thats when Jer realized somebody else was with the two of them.

"Young man, you seem to have hurt my little pet." a male voice carried the words, with a deep loud voice cutting clear through the storm. "I do not like this fact, but he will get better, and the door is still sealed. Give it another turn to the sand clock, and you will see that you will be allowed into the city." The voice was not menacing at all, it sounded like a bureaucrat giving an explanation to a regular citizen.

From the mud, a much small version of the creature Jer had just defeated emerged, and moved towards the man. "Ah I knew you were stronger than that, good boy. Come with me I will get you some food." The figure stood up still looking straight at Jer, and then reached with his hand to his forehead. "...You people STILL use sand clocks right?" the question loaded with confusion.

Jer sighed, sorrowfully before gingerly letting down the boy to the ground, who too was shocked at the visitor. One hand drifted tensely to his axe handle, but did not draw it forward. He was weary, tired, though if push came to shove, he would fight. "Sand clock..." After a moment, he realized what the figure was saying.

"Ah, a hourglass. I believe they're still around." His head turned as much as possible to calmly but tired, yet coldly, stare at the man. "Sorry, I had to prevent the initial impulse to impolitely scream the obvious questions of 'Who you are', 'What is that thing', and 'Why block passage through Ba Sing Se.' I would also add: 'Why expect me to wait spirits-know how long to get back in?' I have a promise to keep."

The man looked at Jer intently, his interest seemed piqued. "Asking a man who is obviously hiding his face a question such as who he is, you are an interesting one."

Taking a strong step forward, from the ground arose a pair of walls around both Jer, Yip and the man, a ceiling forming over them to take them away from the rain. "Well, just give it time. It can`t take as long as you are picturing it would take."

"For now, why don`t you and the boy wait here? It would be a terrible thing if you were to go in. Bad things could happen, like they are happening right now."

Jer glanced back at the hooded man, regarding him curiously as well. His hand fell away as he discarded the decision to attack, battle didn't seem necessary at this point. "Fine." Jer dryly muttered, "I should thank you for the cover then." The thanks was sincere, but his voice regained the dry quality as he went on.

"Now," he continued, "I think we're well aware that bad things are happening. Heck, the Four Nations knows that. What's going on happened nearly twenty years ago, and we know this is just the beginning. What comes next is worse. Though, I don't think anything like your mud pet was seen last time."

His eyes bore down intently on the man, as Jer decided to take the chance at getting some more out of this. "You wouldn't happen to know what is causing this? The spiritual silence, the nasty weather, the disasters?"

"Oh of course I know whats causing it. We are." the man pulled back his hood, what greeted Jer was the figure of a man, covered by rocky formations all over it, his jaw specially had small strips of rock growing upwards like fangs covering the lower part of his face. "Such a silly question, that`s why I don`t want you to go in. Wouldn`t like a nice man like you getting wiped out."

The appearance of the... rock-man didn't bother Jer, honestly some thugs looked far worse than that, in his opinion. What did strike him, angrily like a thunderbolt, was the casual remark that everyone in the city was liable to be caught up in a Ba Sing Se-size disaster. Yip's father... those people I was possibly working with... the entire population...

"What?!" Trembling with visible and barely restrained rage, Jer snarled. "You are saying that you and whatever else of your kind are not only responsible for the disasters that have already happened, and now are going to destroy an entire city among other things! Why?"

Suddenly, it seemed that the notion to attack was very tempting again.

"Oh no, we are responsible for the weather only. One of your own is going to be dealing with the city." the earthmanthing pulled a pipe from within the folds of its cloak, and taking a tinder out of another bag, proceeded to light it up. "As for the why, possibly because she can. Maybe because she was asked to, or because she had her hand forced."

Taking a long drag, a long trail of black smoke came out, almost like burning charcoal. "I never got around to understanding you humans or your world, I only liked some of the things you got here." the long drag of black smoke still coming out. "If you TRULY want to go in I can open the path for you, but be honest. Do you think there is anything worth saving in that city?"

Jer nodded as if that was the most evident thing in the world. "I promised this kid's father I would bring him back, no matter what. And if the city is being attacked, then I want to get them out. They're worth saving. There are other people I intend to save too. So let me in."

His firm gaze showed a willingness to take the risk, despite the potential costs to life or limb.

"Even if the city falls... Though I can't imagine one person having the power to do so except the Avatar, and she disappeared a while-"

His face went pale for a moment. "No," he whispered, denying the possibility. "It can't be her." Then his firmness came back, with his rationality. "So as I said, let me back in. I have people to help."

The rock man took a drag from his smoking pipe once again and more of the thick black smoke came up. "Not a lot of men of your caliber are left around, probably since about several centuries ago." a strong stomp on the ground later a small opening had been created on the great wall of Ba Sing Se. "Go ahead young man, go appease your need for heroism and your thirst for honor. You humans don`t change much over the centuries when I think it over again."

• 3 weeks later...

"I'll take that as a complement, thanks. And I prefer to think of such qualities as something good we have managed to keep. Farewell, I hope you reconsider and get rid of this awful weather. I'll owe you for doing this for me." Jer remarked with genuine thankfulness.

"C'mon, Yip." Jer started urging the kid onward, "Let's get you to your dad and out of here. Then I can look for my partners and aid them."

Yip looked up at Jer "Yes, thank you!"

The rockmanthing seemed absorbed on his own thoughts by this point, the black smoke still coming from within it as it seemed to simulate breath.

Jer and little Yip went through the blocked door and things in Ba Sing Se where just like when Jer left it, the rain was blocking any kind of sun, the water in most streets was already ankle deep and earth benders kept trying to make the water ways deeper to accommodate it. Not a single soul was in the street during this ungodly weather, except for a young girl with hair white like snow and a heavy rain coat, she seemed to be very entertained by the rain as she played splashing water all over the place.

When Jer was about to barrel through the little girl called to him. "There was an Airbender with you earlier today Jer, where is she now?" the young girl was not menacing at all, she truly asked filled with wondering.

Jer slowed down his pace, eyes traveling over the young girl part-curiously, part-suspiciously, despite her manner. Though he hated to think in such a manner, the events of the night had put him on edge, added to the fact that the girl seemed to have summoned up personal details quite casually. Or maybe she'd seen them before.

"Well, little miss," Jer spoke in level tones that were increasingly harder over this night to maintain, "I don't know. I also don't know that we met before, am I wrong?"

...and half the world was just gone...

That line from the tavern conversation Jer suddenly remembered. Yana, was it? It sounded like she could sense spirits- What could she figure out from all this? As soon as he could track down Yip's father... Assuming he could find his partners after all...

• 3 weeks later...

"Oh Jer, it`s bad manners to lose sight of your friends. She is probably in danger right now." the little girl looked up at Jer, the mountain of a man to her towering above her, with the little kid besides him.

"You should hurry, I don`t know how much longer she will stay around." and as those words were finished, the little girl lost her form and turned into water that splashed on the floor as it hit it.

Jer closed his eyes, this was getting out of control. Spirits telling him this, that, Ba Sing Se in danger of getting smashed, and now he was being warned to rescue that Airbender girl and her bison. He still had Yip to bring back and she could be anywhere!

Restraining the urge to curse in front of an impressionable boy, Jer set his jaw and decided to do the first thing first. He led Yip onward to the inn as if the girl had said nothing whatsoever.

• 3 weeks later...

Running through the rain was no easy feat, specially on the kind of rain Ba Sing Se was being drowned in, streets were up to their ankles in water and the channels dug out by the Earth benders were already overflowing and in most cases spitting back the merciless amount of water being plummeted into them.

Jer managed to close the distance without being further interrupted by disturbing apparitions, monsters from beyond reality and inquisitive little girls, once inside little Yip was more than happy to run to the arms of his ecstatic father who through his tears was unable to thank Jer enough for his valiant efforts.

Once he had calmed down slightly, he offered Jer a bag of coins. "Please take them, this weather will make sure people hike prices for everything and they might be useful for an emergency." the man offered a heartfelt thanks as he left the sack behind on Jer`s hands, now the only thing left was the doubt on Jer if he truly wanted to go back out in the rain to run into the inn where he had left off the others in his ragtag group through the weather, an valiantly facing the possibility of braving more spirits like the rockman outside of the city.

He's darn right about that. Jer considered as he pocketed the bag of money. But all that happened, it's crazy.... Well, there's no ultimate harm if I'm wrong... except to what the others think of me. And if I'm right....

Things put in perspective, Jer walked back out into the pouring rain. Time to find the Airbender and her bison first, then the others.

Archived