World of Darkness: Balance of Power - Confessio (12/28/09) [finis]

Lavinia Foscari

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Word had spread that the city had attracted quite a few newcomers which either haven't shown up at court yet or simply have missed out on the opportunities to present themselves. Lavinia wasn't very fond of this situation because it left the option open that they were unalligned and thus trying to assume a neutral position.

In her eyes the unalligned were only barely tolerable. They represented a threat to society's stability and seemed to challenge authority by their mere existence. She understood the necessity for travelling and respected the Gangrel for their prerogative but beyond that she lacked the understanding for spending ones Requiem without the safety of a covenant. She would make sure to probe the visitors and make sure their intentions were the purests and wouldn't pose a danger to the court.

Her request was relayed to the Prince's Hound that she wanted to talk to him and her servant made sure that it was an urgent matter.

The chorus was singing softly in the background of the large catholic church which Lavinia has chosen as meeting place. She was kneeling infront of St. Mary, a large hood concealing her face while her hands held an old rosary. Her servants would guide her guest to her, once he arrived...

Lady Foscari wishes to speak with you. This is an urgent matter. Mel wasn't really sure what this was about. Though Lavinia Foscari had close links with the Prince and Sheriff York, their positions were quite different. It had to be politics. Not that the Haunt didn't keep his ears open, but he didn't participate in it, other than perhaps indirectly by following his orders given by Prince Gruskov or York.

Of course, lack of social or political interest notwithstanding, he didn't feel it advisable to offend Lavinia. Hence he'd come in to hear her out, clad in a clean but obviously used sports jacket, shirt, and pants that appeared to be from Salvation Army.

After the servant led Mel Ganker over, he quietly knelt beside Foscari and nodded. "Personally, in a past life, I was a Lutheran." He murmured quietly.

The approaching Nosferatu made Lavinia's skin itch. The Prince did well in pronouncing him his Hound.

"God works in mysterious ways.", the Harpy spoke quietly and finished the last line of er prayer.

Without shifting her position or showing any sign of actually acknowledging his presence the first lady of the court continued to speak as if she was still in deep prayer.

"It has come to our attention that more and more guests have arrived in our beloved parish. We must confess that it unsettles us if the rumors are right and we hoped you'd be so kind to share your knowledge with us?", her words sounded less like a request and implied that she wouldn't accept denying her.

Mel ignored the tone in her voice. "'Course they're still coming." he replied quietly. "They show up at the court, do the intros, go on their way. Not as if it's my business, unless they do something extremely wrong later on."

He did know more, but he wondered if he could squeeze something out of Lavinia. Something making his job easier in the future.

Underneath her hood she smiled. He was starting to play and it entertained her for the moment which was a welcomed change.

"You see - what is right or wrong is for us to decide. You must understand any disturbance that may challenge the authority of our court endangers the wellbeing of our kind. We understand that you're unwilling to share without knowing my reasons for suspicion. While we respect the wandering kindred fully it is the unalligned - those unwilling to join our ranks, be that the first or second estate that troubles us. One or two may be tolerable but any number beyond that and they pose an unspoken challenge to our status quo.", she was giving him a rather detailed insight of her personal standing on the unalligned but keeping that secret would've been impossible anyway.

Mel chuckled quietly, in a manner that sparked a shock of involuntary nervousness in the Daeva. Slowly and slightly, he shook his head a little.

"Well, you don't seem to understand them. For every outsider who wants to kick down the court, two or three don't want anything to do with the Danse. The majority want to go their own way, not tangled up with us. If they wanted to get in our way, they wouldn't be independents. Those that are left, who do... I'd like to see them try." The final sentence was spoken with a nasty grimace playing over Mel's face.

"The unaligned by nature are not always the brightest Mr. Ganker. If they thought rationally then they most likely would be in a covenant by now." Arch-Bishop York stood behind the two of them. How a man like him ever could sneak up on people was a wonder sometimes.

"Also, I can assure you Mr. Ganker, Bishop Foscari and I have had more than enough experiences to understand the unaligned. I believe the harpy of this city is giving you an order."

As usual there was almost no emotion to his voice. He never raised the level he spoke at but more seemed to be speaking as if this casual conversation were no more important than the weather. It was usually best to assume that what ever he said he considered serious.

Mel remained calm and still during the Sheriff's surprise showing, but he inwardly growled at being pushed around like this. "I was one of them before joining up with our esteemed leader in Chicago, Sheriff." Though Lavinia was surprised, Ganker had always called York Sheriff ever since the arrival in KC, before that, Father York.

"There's several, I understand. They present themselves, set up shop, etc, etc. Like I said, it's not as if it's my business." The last word was carefully stressed.

Mel did know more than he'd let on previously, but only a name or two. And since no trouble was coming from them, he wasn't likely to be involved with dealing with the unaligned anytime soon.

Lavinia slowly arose offering Mel her hand watching his etiquette carefully. He took her hand but didn't kiss it which obviously upset her. Lavinia retracted her hand quickly while her voice adopted a coldly undertone.

"That sheds a whole new light on you, Mr. Ganker. But I don't think that the Prince has pronounced you Hound for your insightful wisdom but for your physical qualities. The question is not about what you believe we understand about the unaligned - it is what we deem necessary or not. In that regard it's your business the moment we take interest in it. Our intentions are of course of the purest animus... and we don't want any lost sheep to wander alone without purpose. The Lancea Sanctum shall give them purpose and direction, so is Longinus' will.", Lavinia has taken her place aside the Arch-Bishop standing there perfectly still and casting her gaze on Mel, her face still hidden under her hood.

Mel chillingly showed a severe nonchalance in his eyes and face.

"Your intentions may be very well. But as I am the Hound of the Prince, why involve me? It's my business when the Prince decides it to be so. But if this is a Lancea Sanctum business, then don't try ordering me around. I don't get stuck in politics if I can help it. There's been no trouble now, harass them, and you'll have your problem then."

He nodded to both of them. "I wouldn't be a Hound if I were stupid." he warned. "Sheriff, Lady Foscari, good night." With that, he started to turn and walk back down the aisle.

York gave Mel a nod as he turned and left. He also put a hand on Lavinia's shoulder to keep her from saying anything else. After Mel was gone he turned to her.

"He is correct. You must learn to separate the will of the prince and the will of the Longinnus. Either you are acting as Harpy to Gregor or as Bishop to the lance. As harpy and sheriff we can not see to the will of the covenant unless it is also the will shared by the prince."

Lavinia felt Yorks hand on her shoulder and refrained from giving Mel a verypersonal good-bye.Instead she sighed and reached with one hand to touch Mathew's.

"Longinus doesn't make any difference, my love. And I very well know my boundaries. This wasn't a court meeting. I never addressed him as the Prince's Hound, neither did I mention my concerns as Harpy of Gregors... He did come to this place - he accepted my conditions the moment he entered the Church. But like he said - he wouldn't be Hound if he was stupid...", there was a cruel ring in her voice. She had thoroughly enjoy this short meeting and acquired the information she was searching for.

Archived