World of Darkness: Balance of Power - XP Rules

Daven_OOC NPCRM #1

All threads will be split in to three categories: Fiction, Plot, Meta-Plot.

Fiction: These are the character story threads started by you guys. They will be rules light and unless someone is abusing powers or does start a actual fight ST's will not be too hard on keeping track of expenditures in them. These threads will also be plot light but not always without it. If the ST or the player sees a opportunity for plot they can discuss it happening in the thread though if the player is hoping to keep the thread mostly to two or three people the plot will also usually be very specific. Also unless there is a very good reason for the most part cross venue will not be allowed in these threads. 99.9% of the time ST's will not start fiction threads they will only monitor them and post in them as needed.

Fiction threads can award anywhere from 0-4 xp to the characters involved.

Plot: These are the main storyline threads. At any given time each venue will have at least one plot thread active. At the beginning of each of these threads every character will have full blood/essence etc, and full willpower. In these threads we will track expenditures for power use and general character use but will still be easy on passage of time usage (vampires spending blood to wake up and such). As many powers in WoD last for a "scene" it will be up to the ST's if enough time or events have passed to mark when a scene power must be reactivated. These threads will be focused on plot but still meant for a particular venue and cross-venue will only be allowed in semi-rare situations.

Plot threads can award anywhere from 3-7 xp. This will be decided by mostly the length and accomplishments of the thread. To use dead rising as a example Chapter10a: Hell would be a 7 xp thread.

Meta-Plot: These will be the big stories that affect the majority of Venues. These threads will be nothing but plot and will be where we most heavily keep to rules. We will mark passage of time and werewolves will have to keep up their totem sacrifices, vampires will spend vitae for waking up, changelings will have to keep track of contracts if required. Although I know this sounds like a pain we as the ST's will keep track and will keep players informed so that you guys can keep your main focus on the story. Unlike plot your stores and willpower will be announced at the beginning of the thread. Some will have you start out at full while at some we may say everyone is down two willpower and at half strength for vitae/essence/mana.

Due to the obvious major natures of Meta-Plots they will award 6-10 xp at the end.

XP gains from multiple sources. For each chapter (plot or meta-plot period) a character can gain up to 15xp.

Example: My vampire is involved in two fictions during chapter 1. The first gets him 2xp, the second gets him 4xp. Chapter 1 has three parts and again my character is involved in 2. For one part the ST awards 5 xp and for another 3. This means at the end of chapter 1 I have acquired 14xp on my character.

Now in the above example even if my character got pulled in to a third fiction thread and was awarded 2 more xp for it in that time he would only get 1 more xp and be capped at 15. In case anyone is thinking this sounds like a large amount of xp remember the period of time is decided by the plot threads. So if a plot chapter ends up taking four months we do want your character to get some advancement.

Cross-Venue: Specifically cross-venue is defined as a character being a physical part of a thread. If in the first two chapters your werewolf gets the cell phone number of a local vampire we are not saying you can't call him. However without good reason we will not allow the werewolves to start tracking down vampire havens. Exchange of information is allowed across the venues as long as it is kept within reason.

Kudos XP: At the end of each plot thread we will award out 1 bonus xp to three characters. These will be decided by both the ST's and the players. This bonus point can go beyond the 15 cap.

At the end of each meta-plot thread we will award 2 bonus xp to three to five characters. Again this will be decided by players and ST's and agian can go over cap.

Archived