Aberrant: No Good Deed - Prologue: Iron Rose and Tomas and Davian [Mature]

Iron Rose

Davian shook the youth's hand and smiled at his poise and etiquette. His own demeanor was one of easy confidence and was decidedly less chill now that they were out of Kusonoki's office. "Davian, and you're quite right, Tomas. There's little reason Lexatech should be suffering severely enough for that display of....well, that display from Kusonoki. Either he's suddenly turned into a remarkably stupid businessman, or there's quite a bit more to this than it appears."

"I'll be having my accountants look over their books, as well as making inquiries into the activities of Lexatech over the past several years. You are invited to look over any of my findings, though I would suggest we conduct two separate investigations and then compare notes." The last comment could have been directed to either one of them, he'd let Ms. Connelly and her 'advisor' decide their pecking order with him on their own.

The sounds of the party were starting to reach them now; Davian glanced in the direction of the sound, his own reluctance at being open to public consumption flickering briefly over his expression.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomas smiled and nodded in agreement with Davian's suggestion, then tilted his head to one side as he studied the other metahuman. "Forgive me for the assumption, but it seems your feelings about these gatherings are a close mirror for mine and Ms Connelly's." He smiled then, an expression that said You are less alone than you think. The beautiful young man gestured down the corridor towards the party.

"Perhaps we can keep one another sane in this human herd. Can't let them think we disdain their company, now can we." His lips quirked in a smile as irony fairly dripped from his voice.

"Must we?" The complaint was murmured mostly to himself; he held out an arm to Rianna, effectively placing himself and Tomas on either side of her.

"At least the evening should pass more pleasantly in such luminous company," he said smoothly. "If you are in agreement, Ms. Connolly?"

She nodded when he spoke of separate investigations. When talk turned to the party she smiled. "Flanked by present company is pretty much the only way I could salvage this evening."

She chuckles. "I confess I'm relieved that Tomas and I aren't the only metahumans here. Things are always so boring at these parties, he and I are usually alone."

She took an arm from each of them, her eyes gleaming with mischief. "I have a feeling that tonight will be anything but boring."

Davian looked past Rianna to Tomas at her comment, his expression both agreeing with the statement and trying to decide if the two of them as gentlemen should take the comment up as a challenge. He arched a brow at the moon-pale youth, silently asking his opinion.

Tomas's response was an enigmatic half-smile and a slight shrug. "Let us see what the evening brings. At the very least we can entertain ourselves at the expense of our lessers." he said quietly.

There wasn't overly much entertainment to be had, to be fair. Those in attendance, regardless of gender, were either grasping corporates or vacuous arm-candy. After about an hour of their further company, the three metahumans were all in agreement that enough of a show of courtesy had been put on for Kusonoki's benefit.

Of more interest was each other. There was some understanding between the three, a shared chord amidst the cacophony of the thundering herd around them. By unspoken consent, they had appropriated one of the couches in a corner of the room for most of that obligatory hour and talked. Mostly small-talk, yet concealed within was respectful fencing, a delicate probing of one another's motives. Davian and Rianna swapped business talk, with Tomas occasionally volunteering opinion in his quietly melodious tones.

By the tick of the 60th minute passing, the three metahumans were out of the doors of the hotel and in their respective limos, having traded contact details and firm pledges to stay in touch. It was not friendship, but it was a sense of fellow-feeling that they shared as they parted ways warmly.

Slowly the two limos pulled out into the night-time streets, headed down street in tandem for a few blocks before the time would come for them to go their seperate directions.

Unfortunately, a traffic crash right at that spot where the limos would have parted blocked off all passing through. In a matter of a few moments, a new route was plotted, leading both long black cars through dilapidated city side streets.

Then a crack, sounding at first like a car backfiring, rang through the air. The first sign to Tomas and Rianna that anything was wrong was the less mistakable sound of glass shattering. Suddenly, their car took on an extra burst of speed and swerved to the right, smashing hard into Davian's limo. Both cars stopped hard.

Tomas glanced out the windows for a second as the air immediately around his body seemed to come alive with shifting, flickering shadows, some of which seemed to be whispering or chuckling in dry, barely-perceptible voices. He scanned the ground then looked upwards, to the rooftops lining the side streets.

Click to reveal..

Activating FF: 2 Quantum

1d10=7, 1d10=2, 1d10=8, 1d10=10

3 succs

Total of +10 soak.

Perception & Awareness to look for trouble:

1d10=6, 1d10=8, 1d10=7, 1d10=9, 1d10=3, 1d10=9

4 succs

Rianna Swore even as she activated her own defensive shielding. She was glad the shield was invisible unlike Tomas's.

She started looking at windows then switched to street level.

Click to reveal..
Forcefield -3 qp 23/26

(19:57:00) ChatBot: (Iron_Rose) rolls 5d10 and gets 10,4,6,5,2 1 success +6/6 soak

per+awa

(19:58:21) ChatBot: (Iron_Rose) rolls 6d10 and gets 1,8,3,5,5,9

2 successes

Davian fished his cellphone out of his pocket immediately after the impact, dialing one of the numbers he'd collected earlier in the night. Rianna's cellphone chimed into the tense silence of the shared limo.

Davian scanned the scene outside the tinted windows as he waited for her to pick up.

Click to reveal..
Perc + Awareness Roll:

1d10=8, 1d10=6, 1d10=1, 1d10=3, 1d10=4, 1d10=10, 1d10=7

Popping 10's for Observant quality:

1d10=5

2 successes.

"Sniper." It was half question and half statement and mostly startlement. Apparently the young Layton heir wasn't used to being shot at. "I'm afraid you'll most likely have more luck in that department than I. Shall I call the authorities, or do you wish to handle this more quietly?"

Other mysterious sounds could be heard faintly over the phone, like moving cloth and the click of something plastic.

As Rianna spoke to Davian, Tomas looked over at her. "This will only take me a minute or two. Trust me and stay here: doubtless the sniper will want you or Davian to step out of the limos. Don't give him a clear shot."

With that, the shadows around Tomas seemed to crawl and writhe over his body before enveloping him, the emerald green of his eyes the last thing visible before he disappeared utterly.

Click to reveal..

Rolling Perception & Transmit, spending 1 WP to gain auto success.

Spending 3 quantum.

(02:16:55) ChatBot: (Tomas) rolls 5d10 and gets 8,10,3,4,3.

(02:17:11) ChatBot: (Tomas) rolls 1d10 and gets 5.

3 succs total.

1 minute to Transmit. Emerging in the shadows behind the sniper.

As they waited, another shot fired, and the sound of a bullet scything through glass caught Davian's ear, before the bullet sliced into his shoulder, though he quickly realized it only to be a flesh wound.

Tomas flashed into a simplistic apartment room, but the surroundings he noticed less than the swarthy man holding the rifle. The man swore and and raised the gun again. "Why aren't they getting out?"

Click to reveal..

Invisible Castle and Beta Chat are down, so trust these rolls with real dice.

Sniper aiming for Davian.

11d10-> 5,5,5,1,2,8,1,6,6,3,1.

1 sux. Davian hit.

Damage: 8d10-> 7,3,6,8,8,2,4,8.

4 dmg sux - 3 L soak=

Davian takes 1 level of Lethal.

Rianna could hear the shattering glass, a sickly thud, and the sharp intake of air as Davian was hit.

"Like hell," gritted through his teeth as he registered the slight movement in a window that was probably his shooter. There was a sound like wind on the highway an then Riana could hear faintly, "...ey getting out?"

Tomas had just spotted his quarry when suddenly the two of them were not so alone in the room. Where he had traversed shadows, Davian simply appeared without fanfare or sound directly behind the dark-hued man. There was blood staining down the expensive blue silk of his shirt and one arm was held close to his side; his expression was cold and death as he reached for the human.

Click to reveal..
To spot the shooter (Invisible Castle was down, read this from the bottom up):

10's popped for Observant quality

Roll(2d10)+0:

1,4,+0

Total:5

Roll(7d10)+0:

10,1,4,10,6,7,7,+0

Total:45

NOTES

-------------------------

This field records your latest roll at its top.

Modified results that would produce a number less than one display as one.

4 successes on perception

Teleport:

10's popped for Observant quality

Roll(2d10)+0:

4,2,+0

Total:6

Roll(7d10)+0:

1,10,4,3,7,3,10,+0

Total:38

NOTES

This field records your latest roll at its top.

Modified results that would produce a number less than one display as one.

3 successes to make it into the room.

The darkness around Tomas roiled and shifted, faint whispers reaching the ears of both Davian and the swarthy man with the rifle, who started to turn, too late.

With a twinned hissing screech that sounded for all the world like razorblades being dragged down a steam pipe, two elongated, scaled forms that looked to be only partially solid burst from the shadows near the slim youth's body. They appeared to be a cross between scaled serpents and moray eels, thick as a strong man's arm, their eyes balefires of green above mouth filled with unnaturally metallic, razor-sharp teeth which dripped viscous drool. The scales on their backs formed serrated ridges sharper than a bandsaw as they slashed through the air towards the rifleman.

One shadow-serpent's teeth sheared through the gun, severing it neatly as the other coiled around the man like a python, that nightmare face level with the human's as it's jaws gaped and it let out another screeching hiss of malevolent bloodlust. The other swayed back to join it, pressing it's maw up close to the assassin's face and letting loose a low, menacing hiss of it's own.

Click to reveal..

Multiple action: going for gun and the assassin. +1 bonus to multiple action due to multiple limbs.

Darkling rolls 7 dice to Attack with tentacle1 (no rerolls) 5,8,2,10,2,5,3

Darkling rolls 1 die to Attack with tentacle1 Mega dice

2 succs total

Gun sheared in half by the creature's jaws

Darkling rolls 6 dice to Attack with tentacle2 1,5,7,2,8,6

2 succs

Darkling rolls 1 die to Attack with tentacle2 Mega-dice

3 succs

5 succs total.

Dude grappled (unless he dodges)

Click to reveal..

Tomas, I know we originally agreed M-Int = M-Str for this, but I forgot M-Str gives extra sux. I consider that degree overpowered. So M-Int in place of M-Str, but otherwise treated as normal. ST fiat here.

Somehow, exerting tremendous will and energy, the man tore himself free of the snakes with a cracking sound. Snatching frantically at a holster, the assassin pulled out a gun and fired at Tomas, clearly a threat. The shot bounced off the shadows guarding Tomas though, shocking the man.

Click to reveal..

Resisted roll: Tomas Int+Brawl vs.
(19:03:53) ChatBot: (Tomas) rolls 7d10 and gets 2,4,4,2,4,3,10.
(19:04:08) ChatBot: (Tomas) rolls 1d10 and gets 2.
Mega: 5.
1 for Tomas.

(novus) rolls 6d10 and gets 3,6,3,1,10,3. + 1 WP for auto succ.
2 for the assassin. He breaks free.

--
Assassin draws special gun, shoots Tomas, as the closer threat, -3 for multiple actions.
(19:51:12) ChatBot: (novus) rolls 3d10 and gets 9,10,4.

Tomas' forcefield blocks this. Davian is up.

Click to reveal..
1d10=10, 1d10=7, 1d10=3, 1d10=10, 1d10=4, 1d10=2, 1d10=8

Coordinated quality:
1d10=1, 1d10=5

4 successes to pin the man

[Jeremy] 8:51 pm: 9,6,10,4,5,7. Str+Brawl
resisting.

So one total success on the pin.

Davian flashed a look of irritated predator that was starkly at odds with mild and introverted dinner parter Tomas had encountered earlier in the evening. Perhaps being shot had awakened something primal in the man or perhaps, as with most things in Tomas' experience, things were not quite as they seemed. Regardless, the wounded metahuman slid smoothly behind the frantic gunman, pinning the man's arms behind his back in the most painful lock he knew. Pain lanced through his own shoulder as the man wriggled and strained against him, but he ignored it.

"Thank him," Davian purred into the assassin's ear. "He has extended your lifespan by several minutes. Should you answer my questions promptly, thoroughly, and convincingly then you might also spare yourself the agony I would otherwise make your death. Struggle from me, hesitate in answer, twitch in the wrong way, and you will expire at my pleasure and your horror. Do you understand?"

Tomas moved forward with casual slowness, the twin serpents flanking him in the gloom. At times their substance seemed to be ethereal and shadowy, but then one or the other would come more clearly into view, scales gleaming like darkly-polished steel, teeth like tempered glass. Shadows flickered and played around the youth's body as though tenebrous fingers were caressing him lovingly. The air around him was full of whispers, inhuman sibilant chuckles, and half-perceivable shapes: dark on dark. The serpents that seemed to be extensions of him, attached indefinably to his body... or was it his soul, coiled around the assassin in a mock-amorous gesture, cruel razor-sharp teeth inches from the soft skin of his face.

"That suits me just fine, flatscan." Tomas told the sniper with a twist of cold humor on his lips. "Did you know that if a man is strung up upside down, he won't faint when you flay him? He'll remain awake throughout. At least, that's what I've read on the matter. The more ignorance you display, the more time I will take to explore that." Green eyes sparkled with malevolent, inhuman laughter.

"Now, you pustule of ape-filth... What was your objective here tonight? Who were the targets? Who hired you and sent you on this fool's errand? I don't need the origin of the contract for you, just the person that passed it to you, your clearing-house."

Davian tightened his grip on the man, just enough add emphasis to Tomas' words. He was fighting a odd internal war of his own between panic and anger at the other metahuman's presence; he wasn't used to an audience...or an accomplice. It unnerved him far more than the pale youth's dark powers.

He stayed quiet, knowing that in these situations a man's worst enemy was often their own imagination.

The dark youth earned himself a glare from the assassin, then the man wheezed as Davian tightened up. "Guy said he was from the Research Group, some codename like that. Besides," his voice grew defiant, "dead is dead. And if you do any of that shit to me, I don't think any amount of money or nothing will keep the police from putting the hammer on you. So I'm not afraid of that."

Tomas's laughter was low and sweet, dry whispered mockeries of the silvery sound seeming to echo from the shadows that shifted and moved around the three of them: him, Davian and the doomed assassin.

"You are such an idiot, even for a monkey. You think the police will even find you? How will they put any sort of 'hammer' on us without evidence." The demon prince's voice was pregnant with mockery as one of his serpents began to coil up the inside of the captive man's trouser leg. The assassin could feel the chill slither of scales over his skin, higher and higher. "You're correct that dead is dead, but death is merely the destination. The route it takes you to get there should concern you more: it can be very, very long. And painful." He looked at Davian, a playful glint in his shimmering green eyes. "I'll wager we can make him scream till his throat is bloody. What do you say?"

Davian hesitated, the internal war still undecided; but either Tomas would or wouldn't be a problem to solve - later. There was a more immediate correction to see to: his grip on the man shifted ever so slightly and was followed by a sickeningly wet and sharp sound.

"You didn't answer his questions and you weren't given permission to speak your opinions," Davian's tone was soft, almost caring as he explained. He pressed sharply enough on the broken finger to make the man's eyes water and elicit a strangled whimpering. "This is a warning. Fingers heal and sharp pain passes once your body begins producing enough adrenaline and endorphins. It doesn't respond so well to the pain of, say, removing a strip of skin a quarter inch wide down the length of your leg over the course of an hour. Humans heal quickly enough not to pass out during the process, but torture is meant to break the will completely."

He let go of the finger, but continued in the same soft and dangerous tone, "You are going to die, you have no control over that anymore. The only decisions left in your life are how much dignity and sanity you die with. Now. Answer his questions."

Suddenly, the assassin broke into hard laughter. Recovering in a moment, he chuckled. "No, no, no. I can live, or die, but I get the laugh in the end. You see, the Research Group is paying me, but my boss is someone else, who has an interest in helping. He's got more control over this than you over me. And he promised me, if anything happens to me, you'll wind up in jail. He's a good guy on that account. A regular bug-spreader, yunno?"

"And you believe the promises of someone who sent you against metahumans with a shotgun? Somehow I doubt they'll miss you that much, and either way, you're still dead." Another wet snap accompanied his words as his tone turned more contemplative. "Are you perhaps suicidal?"

"This is tedious. Your transparent allusion to your 'boss' being all-powerful and all-knowing is quite frankly insulting, as well about as threatening as a child's threat of retribution from an older sibling. So let your employer seek to jail me for your demise: it would only bring me a step closer to him." Tomas moved closer to the pinioned man, the other serpent coiling around the helpless assassin's neck and slithering down the inside of his shirt. He looked at Davian. "We have a starting point. A mysterious 'Research Group'. It will suffice."

Green eyes turned back to the swaggering ape, narrowing in glittering malice as the whispering sounds in the shadows grew louder. "I have little doubt from your manner that you believe you are being watched over. Maybe we are being observed too, hmm? Let this be a demonstration, then." The beautiful, melodic voice dropped to a menacing hiss, sudden scornful rage transforming the ethereal features. "I laugh at your jails. I scorn your laws. I spit on your whole damned race."

The captive man jerked suddenly, a scream sounding from his lips as he felt sharp teeth. The serpent that had been working up his trouser leg snarled and bit again into the man's anus, razor-sharp teeth chewing slowly but unstoppably as the thing burrowed into his bowels, shredding the lower intestines unmercifully. The man was lifted out of Davian's grasp, screams rising in pitch, arms and legs kicking as blood and other tissue spattered like rain onto the floor beneath him. He was still very much alive, but dying painfully by inches. His eyes bulged, mouth working as though trying to form words where only screams were able to come forth.

Tomas's looked up at the spectacle, eyes alight, shining with terrible amusement and pleasure as the man's screams sent pleasant vibrations through his eardrums. The man flopped and thrashed, impaled on a living, biting nightmare instead of a stake. The green-eyed fiend laughed, drunk on his power as he threw his arms wide in invitation. "So where are your bold words, mud-creature?" He shouted over the screams and shrieks. "How much is your employer's promise worth now?! Tell us how to contact the Research Group and I will end this now. Or don't, and I will take my pleasure of you for as long as your fragile body holds out."

The assassin screamed in pain. "Damn you to hell!" Suddenly, Davian's cell phone rang, a counterpoint to the screams of pain. The businessman, though managing to hold onto the dying sniper, opened the phone surprisingly cooly.

Kusonoki's voice was harsh and grim. "Not restraining Rianna's companion was a bad choice Mr. Layton. You've given the SH-SWAT all the reason they need to go off the leash."

[OOC: SH-SWAT is the term for a SWAT team assigned on dealing with a superhuman mission.]

Davian hung up the phone and quickly texted a series of letters and numbers to two different numbers. All of his liquidatble assests would be moved to several secure, international banks or accounts not easily traced to him, and ownership of his companies and other holding would not be routed through a maze a dummy companies or split between a network of people loyal to him. He'd lose some capital and some time if this turned out to be less than necessary, but if it was it should keep his current projects and money in place through any sort of legal actions against him.

Kusonoki was moved to the top of his list of humans worth the time to kill, perferably after a great deal of pain and humiliation. After a moment he sent another text to the head of his legal team that simply said 'Kusonoki $/contract signed tonight/tried to kill me'. He glanced up at the assassin still keening over him.

"Tomas, we need to leave. Kusonoki has sicced the SH-SWAT on us, and right now it will be far more politically correct for them to pursue us over him in a public witch-hunt. I will....dispose...of that if you will move Rianna somewhere safe. I will call you when I am done to make further arrangements, if you and her wish to pool resources on this." Kusonoki was beginning to unravel everything Davian had spent the last five years building, but the man sounded as if they were putting together a luncheon for later in the week. He made a mental note to get a message to his parents; they'd want to hear from him but he had little illusions about what they would do, at least publically and probably privately, if presented with evidence from this evening.

"Kusonoki." Tomas near-purred, then glanced up at the screaming man. His lips twitched with amusement. "Alea iacta est. A very clumsy move on his part. Compounded by getting so closely involved." He looked at Davian, speaking past the thrashing, shrieking human, who's voice nearly reached a falsetto as the serpent ate it's way deeper into his vitals.

"They won't want you. You did nothing save restrain this filth. Assault at worst, and understandable given your being shot. Rianna is blameless of everything except being shot at. You take her: I'll handle this and keep the SH-SWAT busy. I'm not so easy to find, nor so public a figure." Green eyes flicked up at the suspended man, showing reluctance to end the victim's pain so swiftly. "Go and hide, wall yourself in lawyers and media if you wish. Dazzle the searchlights with flashbulbs of publicity. Remember, you were attacked. And you never saw me before tonight."

With a suddenness that was shocking, the second serpent reared it's head and struck, shearing through bone and flesh, shredding the heart and lungs in a frenzy of blood and thrashing, razor-sharp spines and teeth making soup of the man's chest cavity. Blood and lumps of gore gouted from the man's mouth as he gave one last, choked-off scream, then went limp. Tomas, still holding the dripping corpse on the swaying, bobbing shadow serpents, turned towards the shadows and disappeared.

Davian flecked some of the human debris on him onto the floor and gave the room one last annoyed look. "Honestly, I'm getting tired of playing by their rules."

A moment later Rianna could hear a polite if insistent knocking at her limo door.

He emerged from the shadows, leaving behind the world of chill whispers and flitting gloom for the brighter, artificially-lit room beyond. He stayed in the shadows of the hallway, taking in his surroundings.

The party had broken up, the guests all having left. The music still played softly over the sound system, and glasses, plates and dicarded napkins were strewn around the room. Tomas was about to swallow his disappointment when he heard distant voices. His eyes glittered with inhuman joy.

At the far end of the room, talking quietly together on a couch, were Kusonoki and a short but trimly-built balding man. The couch was bracketed at either end by guards, waiting patiently for the talk to be concluded so that they could escort their boss home for the night.

All four men, therefore, were taken aback as a broken, torn mass hurtled across the room to land on the coffee table beside them. The sniper's body, bleeding from both ends and the torn-out cavity in the ruin that had been his chest, smashed the glass-topped table to shivering shards, spraying blood and loose globs of flesh into the air and onto the men around it.

"Good evening." The voice was beautiful as it was full of gleeful malice as Tomas stood in the dimly-lit doorway, a silhouette with shimmering green eyes. "Does that belong to either of you gentlemen?"

At the sight of the youth, and the casual manner in which he tossed the mangled corpse, Kusonoki and his guards fled with impressive speed, not bothering about the gore.

Only the balding man remained, unaffected, except for being rather annoyed about the departure of his partners. Flicking off some of the gore, he rose and regarded Tomas for a long moment.

"Mr. Ridley," he began, "you've demonstrated considerable boldness acting like this. I would have let you reply, but you've lost that privilege with Kusonoki going off like that."

Indeed, before Tomas could reply, the man fired a bolt of energy through the shadows surrounding Tomas, sending him sprawling and barely conscious. "Apparently, manners are in order."

Click to reveal..

Balding Guy used Analyze Weakness

(17:33:31) (novus_ST): first four dice are mega

(17:33:53) ChatBot: (novus_ST) rolls 9d10 and gets 7,2,6,10,3,8,7,5,8.

(17:34:39) (novus_ST): so Mega sux =5 + Reg dice sux 5 = 10 sux

His attacks on Tomas completely ignore the FF soak then.

Balding Guy fires Q-bolt.

(17:48:20) ChatBot: (novus_ST) rolls 7d10 and gets 5,8,7,4,4,3,7.

[9] auto + 5d10 (everything else pulled)

(17:48:45) ChatBot: (novus_ST) rolls 5d10 and gets 3,3,4,4,1.

9 succ - 3 B-soak = 6 bashing dealt to Tomas. Darkling is barely conscious and must shake off the effect of the attack.

BTW, this will be a future boss, just letting you know.

Archived