World of Darkness: Attrition - Shattered

z021

((Continued from Beast's Laughter, Angel's Tears))

Oneca beeped the Lamborghini unlocked for both of them and slid into the driver's seat. Usually she'd be taking much more time to enjoy the expensive, sleek, and undeniably sexy car, but the task at hand was somber enough to keep her well on track. Her mind was wandering back and forth over the conversation from downstairs, picking it apart and storing anything interesting somewhere safe.

She started the engine and glanced over at Hunt, "Where to?"

The couple strode through the kitchen as casually as everyone one before them. Lucien approached Lou and stated deadpan. "I need a gun."

The corner of the paper collapsed to reveal Lou's inquisitive arched brow (you all know the one). "Legal or non?" Was his reply.

"Non." He didn't falter in his apparent resolve to aquire a weapon.

The paper was folded a few times and before it hit the table Lou spoke again. "Regular, or hunting elephant?"

Unaccustomed to gun lingo Lucien decided that to save time with deciphering he'd go with the east answer. "Regular."

Lou handed him the 9mm pistol he had lying out on the table. He was Lucien's bodyguard, everyone knew he packed, so the sight of his gun out in the open didn't raising to many brows. "Here, it's unregistered."

"Aren't you even going to ask what's for?"

"Nope." The aging father figure looked up at him and grinned. "Just glad your balls finally dropped. Give' em hell, kid."

Lucien smiled, but didn't say anything else.

He placed the gun in the center console as he watched the displays light up within the car.

"Santa Monica." He said. "I need a bird's eye view of the city."

As the sleek, black Lamborghini sped from the drive way he was already on the web via his cell phone looking up information about to night's events. "Thank you, by the way, for driving."

Oneca nodded, her eyes flicking over to the gun only for a moment. It was obvious she didn't much like the thing. "No problem. Head for the Ferris wheel, then?"

At his return nod she pulled out of the driveway and headed to the San Diego freeway, her mind still combing through everything that was said. They had just taken the exit onto the Santa Monica freeway when Oneca suddenly braked and pulled the car onto the shoulder. She sat there for a moment, her breath slightly too fast and her entire body tense.

"Lucien? Back at the house - in the basement. That oath you had us swear," she swallowed, still staring ahead. "After Morgan did whatever it was that she did, you said something. You said that we were all bound now, bound under the laws of Arcadia." She finally turned to look at him, her eyes haunted. "What do you kno-what do you have to-"

She took a deep breath and tried again. "What do you know about Arcadia?"

The hum of the engine and the sounds of the cars rushing by seemed fill up the car with a strange, expectant drone as she waited for him to answer.

"I know it's the land of the Fae, a beautiful world where anything is possible. Chaotic and wyld, a place of enchanting magic." He said kindly, not sure where to start. "Aside from that, I'm not really sure how to describe it. Morgan knows much more about Arcadia than I do, if you really want to know, I'm sure she'd sit down and talk."

He looked to her and she could feel his stare, that charming, inquisitive stare that seemed to be taking in every inch of her and coming back for more. "Pardon my saying so, but that's an odd question to ask. I'm not one to pry Oneca," He truly loved saying hr name, it seemed to roll from his tongue adding elegance she never knew it possessed. "but you seem like someone who needs to talk. We all have secrets, and I shan't pry where I'm not welcome."

She'd never heard a voice sound so honest.

Oneca's entire body shivered at the mention of the Fae, her breath still coming in uneven gulps; her hands were clenched around the steering wheel.

Very softly she answered him, "My sister. She's there, in Arcadia. At least, that's what she said she was taking Saja. She...she said I could visit her, if I could find out how to get there. She even gave me directions." She closed her eyes, reciting from some deep buried memory, "Past thorns and vines and the pathless maze, through the Gate of Forgotten Stars. Past the domain of the Lords of Endless Reflection, and...." She trailed off.

"I must sound crazy to you." She looked away, her posture going from tense near-panic to a defeated slump. "I-I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything."

"Oneca," He said softly. "I'm a man for whom distance is but an illusion. The astral Twilight is my playground and dreams are mine to sculpt as I see fit. Reality shows me it's boundaries every day, and each day I shatter them with renewed resolve."

He chuckled trying to add some levity. "'Crazy' is just what we do around here. Sure beats the hell out of a poker night."

Oneca gave a up the ghost of a laugh. She rubbed her hands over her face, smearing away the beginning of tears from the adrenaline drop she was feeling now. "I don't know, I'd take a poker night if it meant getting the real Saja back."

She slowly comported herself and got them back on the freeway headed for the Ferris Wheel. "I am sorry about...about being so abrupt. It's been a hell of a week. I guess I'm used to being on top of things, and now I feel like the Xander of the Scooby Gang." She winced internally at that, not sure if she hoped Lucien watched Buffy or not.

"She was, taken?" He asked her. Knowing nothing of the Fae, or the hell they spawn, Lucien was certainly in the dark on this subject. "By whom? And if there's one thing I've learned, anything is possible. If she was taken from you, we'll get her back."

She didn't miss the 'we'll' part of his sentence.

"Left here, shortcut." He pointed up ahead to a rather easy to miss intersection.

Oneca nodded and got them in the right lane before the intersection. "She said she was called the Lady of Perfect Tears and that she was a High Lady of the Fae in Arcadia. I don't really know what all that means, but I made sure I never forgot it. J-just in case I could find a way there, so I'd know who to look for."

They could see the Ferris wheel now, meaning they were only a minute or two away from their destination. She peered up at it when they stopped at a red light. "How are you going to be able to see broken windows from all the way up there?"

"Lady of Perfect Tears." He repeated, filing it away, before he chuckled again. "As I said, distance is but an illusion. I'm going to bring the windows to us. You don't seem the type for romantic views fro ma Ferris Wheel. Shame, because you going to love this one."

His grin was a mile wide, the playboy was plotting something.

Oneca shook her head and tried to smile for him. She wondered if he liked guys, too; he reminded her a great deal of Remy.

She pulled into the parking of the pier and got them settled into a space. "I've to tell you, heights are an odd thing with me. Sometimes I'm fine, sometimes I accidentally light the ticket stubs on fire." She seemed absolutely serious as she said this.

He opened his mouth like he had something witty to say then just let his pointed finger just fall to his side. "You'll have to explain that to me later. But don't worry."

They ran from the car to the Ferris Wheel, past the people who gathered at the pier. It was late, but in the World of Darkness no one ever slept it seemed. The crowed was thinned and mostly comprised of college and high school kids all out enjoying the night life. After meeting Sarah several months ago he now looked and wondered how many were like her.

"If you get scared, just say so, I'll hold your hand."

The line was fairly short at this point, it took only a minute or two before they were in a car and headed up. Oneca did actually take Lucien's hand as the metal contraption stuttered a time or two before getting it's bearings and moving them swiftly into the Santa Monica night air.

"So, what are you going to do? You said distance didn't matter to you. Are you clairvoyant?"

"Not exactly." He said. He looked about, why she wasn't sure, it was only the two of them in the little cart. "Look, given what you've seen and heard this evening, and by virtue that you've won over Declan's respect," He didn't use the word trust, a guy like Declan didn't trust anyone, he respected them until they gave him reason not to. With respect came something akin to trust, but the wild Uratha soul could never truly understand the concept of not looking over one's shoulder. "I'll share something with you."

"I'm a Warlock." He said calmly. He didn't offer up much more than that. "No, what I'm going to do is not clairvoyance, it's magic. I'm going to scan the entire city in just a few moments, hopefully It'll help us find the center of the action while Declan and the others search for something of Swara's so we can locate her."

They reached the top and thankfully at the late hour all the couples got a little extra cozy time at the time. While Lucien's chances weren't looking good with the attractive Oneca, he figured the quicker he got this spell off and scanned the area, the more time they'd have to cozy up.

He held out his hand, palm up and simply stared for a brief moment before the space between the two began to ripple slightly. For the briefest of moments Oneca wasn't sure she actually saw what she saw, but then it happened again. She'd felt the simple weight of the Enchanter's oath earlier but or the first time she was seeing real magic at work. Thus far not even Declan had seen what Lucien was capable of, but Oneca was getting a decent eyeful.

In a sudden burst the ripple cleared, like soap applied to bowl of floating pepper reality yielded and displayed for them the entire city that lay before Lucien and his guest in a reflecting portal of thin air.

Through the streets they soared without ever leaving the cart. Where he looked at the city the portal reflected that and gave Oneca a perfect view of the area. "As I look upon the city, tell me where the boundaries of broken windows are. Is it a radius, a cube? Anything you can discern, and from there we'll try and centralize where The Howl came from."

Oneca gasped at the illusion unfolding in front of them. There'd had a thaumaturgist at the Chantry for a couple of months once, which was the closest she could think of to a 'Warlock'. He'd had to do chants and use all sorts of odd materials before he could do anything supernatural, though. Lucien just seemed to wave his hand and make whatever he wanted happen. Peter would love to meet him.

She lost herself in watching the city fly by for a few minutes before remembering that they were actually looking for something. It took somewhere between five and ten minutes before she was sure she had the edges of it. "Okay, I've got it now. There, the cemetery next to the campus. Wasn't that one of the places the others were going to look at?"

"Yes." The scrying portal constricted closed like an iris spiraling shut. "Good work, that will certainly help us speed things up."

He flipped open his cell phone and tapped away at the keys, looking up briefly to shoot Oneca a wink and a grin.

A moment later Morgan's cell phone chimed:

"Got something. Oneca thinks checking the cemetery first is the best option. Pass it along to the others."

He snapped it shut and leaned back. With a jerk the Ferris Wheel started its slow spin once more. "So, you seeing anybody?" He asked casually. With nothing to do but wait, he figured a little smalltalk couldn't hurt.

She blushed. An honest-to-god and completely caught off-guard blush. "Um, I'm not, but...it's complicated. I'm not really allowed to...to have anyone that's more than a friend."

It really was quite beautiful out tonight and the slow movement of the Ferris Wheel created just enough of a breeze to mix perfectly with the sea salt smell of the air. Oneca didn't want to ruin the mood; they'd accomplished the first part of their mission and she'd gotten to see the most impressive display of magic in her life. Somewhere well hidden a small spark of hope had kindled in her, a hope that maybe these strange and wondrous people she'd met over the last week might be able to set her free. She smiled at Lucien, "I'll make you a promise, though: you help me change that, and I owe you a date."

"I don't think I've ever had to work for a date before," he mused. She let her guard down a bit it seemed and for that he was grateful. Although they all came from their own walks of strangeness, they'd need to learn some measure of trust for one another. Lucien was sure that Oneca was afraid to form any lasting bonds and her mind's resonance seemed filled with regret, but suddenly alive with hope. Lucien liked hope. Without hope, nothing really seemed to matter and what sort of a life was that? "But go out with me because you want to, not because you feel you owe me something."

"So tell me? What does one have to do to win the hand of the lovely Oneca Baharr, hmm?"

"My father always says that the best things in life are the ones you have to work the hardest for." Flirting was good, it helped push away the darker shadows in life. "As for my hand, if that's what you're after, I'd say a good place to start is-"

The Ferris Wheel jerked to a stop then, sending their car into a pendulum and ending Oneca's sentence in a frightened squeek. After a moment of pure terror she started to giggle, then laugh. "Y'know, all this stuff we're dealing and I'm terrified of the Ferris Wheel."

They shared a laugh as the car slowly stopped swaying. "Yeah, I feel that way myself sometimes. Sometimes things get so weird I start to accept them as normalcy, then 'normal' comes up and catches me by surprise. Those are some interesting moments, let me tell you."

"So, you were saying?" He said as he looked down to the upcoming pier. "Where should one start, hmm?"

Oneca looked thoughtful as they neared the platform and got out of the car, "Well, being fire-proof is probably one good place to start. Declan didn't really tell you anything about me, did he?"

As they headed away from the pier she asked, "So, are we headed for the cemetery ourselves, too?"

"No, Declan has told me absolutely nothing about you, but I admit, I'm curious." Her skin was tingled slightly at Lucien's touch as she accepted the hand he offered to help her down the steps that led to the Ferris Wheel. Whenever you're ready to share, I'm all ears."

The walked towards the car, neither trying to look anxious about it, but they seriously had better places to be than the pier. "Where there's cemeteries there's bodies. That's not something I'd be particularly thrilled to see. I think we should wait to hear from them, then plan from there. What say you?"

Lucien seemed to doing his best to include her in all this madness, like she had some say, or her was genuinely interested in her input. The truth was that he certainly was interested and did care... because he'd never done this before and for all his intellect and calmness, he had no idea what he was doing.

But he sure looked good doing it. (Whatever it was...)

She squeezed his hand and nodded. "Alright. Well, while we wait, would you explain what being a Warlock means? I've met someone that did magic before, but not like that." She chuckled, "Peter finally had to ask them to move somewhere else after they screwed up some spell or whatever and turned one of the labs into a lightening storm for over a month. The whole place flooded once or twice a day."

She looked at him speculatively, taking in the nice view while she was at it. "Not like what you did, though. He had to prepare for days or even weeks before he could cast a spell."

"Well, being a Warlock means I am the inheritor of an ancient legacy of magic descended from the fallen city of Atlantis. I draw my power from practices that predate the existence of the world’s remnant civilizations. Specifically, my method of performing magic involves drawing energy from otherworldly realms that lie outside the ken of human existence." He gestured with his free hand, not wanting give up Oneca's attention to his other, to help put the proper inflection on his point. She could tell he was trying his hardest not to offend the friends she referred to a moment ago.

"For whatever reason, certain mortals have learned to tap into magic’s power, even to control it to a degree. Though they do not wield the awesome powers held by me or mine, or other supernatural beings, these mortals are capable of performing magic nonetheless, but it's not true magic. At least, no in my opinion." He shrugged.

She looked thoughtful as he spoke, and not at all offended. The guy she remembered had been clumsy and awkward in his magic, and she'd just seen proof of the ease Lucien did magic with. Atlantis? Huh. Weird. Guess Disney's gonna have to give up the rights to the name.

"You mean, like this?" She pulled the ticket stubs from the Ferris wheel ride out of her pocket and held them out in front of them both. The ends of the paper lit on fire, licking greedily down towards Oneca's fingers. She grinned up at him.

Click to reveal..

1 Willpower spent.

(21:57:13) ChatBot: (Oneca) rolls 6d10 and gets 1,8,10,9,9,6.

He looked at her curiously. "Very impressive. I can not manipulate the forces like fire, cold, or sound. I've yet to learn how, seems mighty difficult, but you pull it off gracefully." The ease with which she called on her ability was remarkably impressive. Much like him, she simply willed it to be and there it was, complete control never looked so good in tight fitting jeans and an even tighter t-shirt.

"You have a great gift Oneca," He loved her name. His passion for Latin nearly drove him to repeat it every time he addressed her. "You're not like me, so I'm curious, how do you do it?"

She shrugged, grinning sheepishly. She liked showing off, but she had to be careful about who she showed off to. "I don't know. I've always been able to, although I've gotten much better at it lately. I can start or stop fires now, and move the flames around how I want. That was the last thing I figured out how to do, and I can sometimes move things that aren't fire now, too."

"How about you? I mean other than the show up there," she motioned to the Ferris Wheel, "what else can you do, Mr. Warlock?"

He 'meh'ed with false modesty. "Nothing major. Certainly nothing as potent as fire, I assure you." He rocked her hand back and forth and decided not to bring up how far away the car was. This walk along the pier was turning out to be rather enlightening; and he certainly loved the view.

"My portfolio consists of Space, and the Mind." He started. "Space I'm not all that good wit, yet, but let me tell you it's a riot practicing. As for the Mind, any mind, well, it's my playground. I can make people see, do, and think whatever I desire. Telepathy is a lot of fun, especially with animals."

He stopped her and tugged her her hand, so the two of them faced one another. "It's a lot of responsibility to know that people entire lives can be rewritten with a thought. It seems hard for people to trust, and rightfully so, when they know I can simply make them do or think what they normally wouldn't. I'm not like that Oneca. I respect the minds of those around me, and I don't snoop. I might pick up an occasional stray thought, but I can't help that, it's who I am. I suppose what I mean is that I want you to know you can trust me. People," he stumbled over how to politely phrase it. "Like us, are to few. We need to stick together."

"Portfolio?" Her lips quirked at that. I guess he really does consider it an art.

When he stopped their stroll with his concerns, she took his other hand and squeezed them both. "It's a deal, then. I'll trust you not to change my mind for me, and you'll trust me not to set your pants on fire."

She studied his face for a heartbeat or two. "You'd like Peter, I think. You two would get along." She nodded to herself, "When we get him out of jail, I'd like to introduce you two, if you'd let me."

Her thoughtfulness was certainly welcome and he was thankful she understood what i twas he was trying to say. People these days seemed to paranoid over a little Telepathy now and again.

"Thank you for understanding." Lucien grinned a bit, not wanting to add about she'd set his pants ablaze months ago at the party where they'd first met. Time and a place... "Who is Peter? Why's he in jail, and what makes you think he and I would get along so well?"

Gripping her hand the two strolled down the pier. Feel free to text me back any time Morgan, he looked to Oneca who was positively radian in the moonlight. ... second though, take your time. Be thorough.

Her expression darkened, "He's being framed for murder and kidnapping. By Saja, I'm pretty sure."

She bit her lip and then shrugged; there was nothing she could do right this instance, and they were already in the middle of something else tonight. "And he's a telepath. He can't do anything else like you can, though. He's the one that brought us all together, at the Chantry. He gave us a place to be, well, if not normal then at least surrounded by others that understood. He's love to learn about you and these other Atlantean magic using people." She grinned fondly, "He'll corner you for hours, though."

"Well, unfortunately there's only so much I can tell. We've lasted this long simply because people don't know we exist, but to be fair, if he is a Sleep-Walker I'll share what I can." Lucien looked to her, concern drawing over his expression like a dark cloud. "Why would, Saja, who's your sister, am I right?" One thing about being an adept at of the Mind Arcana meant he was usually always paying attention, whether he meant to be or not. In this case he had been, but even his mind grew fuzzy over details on occasion. "Want to frame this peter guy?"

Drama, drama, drama, can we not so normal people have just one, normal day... please? Whoever is listening... please?

Oneca shook her head, her hand tightening on his unconsciously. "Saja, the real Saja, is somewhere in Arcadia. When she was kidnapped the -woman or whatever she is- made a...a replacement. The Saja I grew up with isn't human and isn't....isn't really my sister. She hates it when I make friends." She swallowed as if all of this was hard to say.

"And she has this fixation on kids. She-she's studying to be a pediatrician. I think....I...," she trailed off and was quiet for a few minutes. "It's just something she'd do. I know it."

"I....can't. She..." She shook her head, "I just can't. I did try to find Saja. The real one, I mean. I looked all over the woods where she was taken, and when I was 15 I started visiting every city named Arcadia in the US." She let out a small, bitter laugh at that.

"Well," His soothing tone certainly seemed sincere. "I'll not pry, as I said. But if your real sister is out there somewhere, I'm sure your new friends, myself included, would be willing to help you find her. Even if we have to scour Arcadia itself."

"Trust me, we're quite the outgoing types." He smiled, trying to bring some of the of the hope back to her voice.

Oneca favored him with a smile and leaned in to kiss his cheek. "You're sweet, Lucien, and I will take you up on it. Later. After tonight."

She started their stroll down the pier again, still holding his hand and looking out over the ocean.

Archived