World of Darkness: Attrition - Covering Places [Complete]

z-Amber Wren

December 22, 2008

Amber eased into the Hisil, fighting shivers in the cold air. Her skin was bare as she looked around the "basement" of her building, its empty shell arcing high over her head. Quickly, she shifted down into Urshul, letting the mass and fur of the near-wolf warm her up. She gave her coat a violent shake and leapt up, clearing the edge of the building in a single bound.

Around her, spirits moved and eddied, eyeing her suspiciously. Even the local ones, the ones who knew her - or as well as spirits could know one of Luna's children - were warily watching her. That concern changed into naked interest when she teased forth a bit of spirit-stuff, a fluff of essence that dangled from the tip of her paw.

<Spirits. A moment of time for a pinch of power,> Amber said in the garbled tongue of the spirits. Several drifted closer, and Amber added, <For those that go east of here, to a large park, near where lust and sex abide.>

A momentary slithering echoed as the spirits figured out who she meant; then one small bird settled before her, its glass-eyes focused on the essence. <What, destroyer, breaker of worlds, do you want?>

It was pointless to argue that she'd had nothing to do with the destruction of Pangea. Spirits didn't understand individuality; to many of them, she was as responsible for the destruction of Paradise as the First Children. <Near the sex-place, a dead one walks.> The spirit didn't so much as bat an eye - vampires were part of the world, and were mostly like humans to the spirits. <And where it pretends to patrol, there may be spirits. I ask that you tell me if the spirits there get out of hand. And by that, I mean, you'll assess it knowing that you'll get paid only if you tell the truth.>

The spirit eyed her. <You'll feed me? For information?>

Amber nodded gravely. The spirit spread its wings and shot off into the air. Amber smiled. She couldn't watch Sarah's territory, and she wouldn't, but she'd be damned if she wasn't going to make sure the spirits there stayed in their place. Satisfied, she started her own patrol.

Archived