World of Darkness: Attrition - Liquid Haze and Clarity

Emma L. Carter

Emma Lynn Carter strode down South Bundy Drive, taking her in view of Liquid Haze, the coffee bar that her cousin Graham had offered to meet her at. She kept her head low in an attempt to remain hidden. The sun seemed to be an annoyance, but it didn't really affect her skin. She was as pale as ever, but kept looking healthy. She'd accidentally opened up to him the night before but couldn't back track, so she just kept on going. It felt terrifying to open up, but it was something that had to be done.

She drew closer and closer to the coffee bar so she checked her watch. Wednesday, August 20th, 2008., 1907 HRS it read. She was seven minutes late and wondered exactly how punctual her cousin was, meanwhile trying to judge what his persistence may be if she alludes to her secret of Faery. Furthermore, it was unnerving to think that any Lost around could see her for her true wooden self and the Hedgespun outfit that she displayed upon her body might cause the wrong impression. To the mortal eye it merely looked like a black skirt with a short-sleeve black blouse with a unzipped hooded sweatshirt, but in the eyes of a Changeling it would be something entirely more meaningful. The skirt would be impossibly complex, with beautiful folds and tears. The shirt would glow with horrifying colors and the sweat shirt would only exaggerate how much she didn't want to be spoken to. It looked as if it may have been threaded with shards of bone. In her hair she wore a rose, it was threaded into the back of her hair. It added to her pale exterior.

She entered the shop, pulling a hand out of her pocket to lower her hood. She didn't immediately spot Graham but was sure she would do so while waiting in line.

Graham looked at his watch as he sprinted down South Bundy Drive, Damnit, ten minutes late. I hope she hasn't left yet. As he arrived outside Liquid Haze, he stopped and straightened his shirt. He walked in, and glanced around the coffeehouse. Graham noticed Emma waiting on line, and slowly makes his way over to her.

"Heya, Emma. How're you?" He noticed they were next in line. Graham turns to the barista and orders a Caramel Latte. He turns back to Emma, "What's up?"

As she waited the line became more and more tedious. People were ordering things they obviously couldn't pronounce and not a year with constant attempts could help them. She was seeing them as what she believed they were, and that was just another hapless person on this planet who cannot see the greater things at work. They were the hunted for the Gentry hunters who took them as they pleased. In the middle of one of these hateful thoughts Graham made his appearance. She half-smiled. It almost seemed like she wanted to be there, however much she did or didn't wasn't clear though. Although through all that it was plain to see that she was happy to see him. She orders a regular coffee, not really getting why somebody could want boiled cream. She hands the barista enough money for the both of them and spoke softly. "Hi Graham." Her heart was pounding for the words that nearly came pouring out of her mouth. "I'm alright, actually." She wasn't.

"..." She wasn't actually sure what she was supposed to say next. Whether or not he just wanted to meet, shut her up last night with little regard to his future, or if he actually wanted to help her with her social-emotional problems was beyond her. "Did we want to stay here or leave?"

"We could leave and go to my place. It's nearby." Graham smiled and sipped from his Latte.

Emma nodded, "Sure."

Graham headed for the door, Emma right behind him. They slowly made their way back up South Bundy and to his apartment. He heads down the stairs and unlocked the door. As he peeks in, he notices the mess and closes the door quickly. "Can you wait here for a minute? I need to clean up a bit." He scoots in past the door, which he opened a crack, and he begins to throw the dirty clothes into his hamper. Graham also hides his robe and small map of the city. He sprays the air with neutra-air scented with fresh linen. His small kitchen area is already clean. He then opens the door and lets Emma in.

She waited outside patiently. He was already doing more for her than she'd do for him. She didn't hide her messes nor did she care if people saw them. It was part of who she was. Still, to each his own, and she waited. Thoughts of their last meeting ran through her mind, dulled by the time it has been since then. The place was a little bigger than she expected but it was nothing extraordinary. She wasn't exactly sure how she wanted to start any conversation. She slowly sipped on the coffee while taking a quick look at the apartment than back at Graham. "So.. " She said a little awkwardly.

"I'm curious as to why you thought we should meet, Graham. I mean, its not that seeing you is a bad thing, but it just seemed a little out of the blue." She continued smiling, albeit a forced smile.

"Do i have to have a reason to talk to my cousin?" Graham smiled and looked down at his Latte. "Okay, i have a reason. I'm worried about you. You shouldn't have to seal yourself off from social interaction. Why do you do that? What is it about you that's got you scared of the world?" Graham looked Emma right in the eyes as he asked the last question.

Emma looked away from him, unable to look into his eyes. She'd told anyone about her Changeling past or the time she spent in Arcadia and now it was the untold topic of her conversation. Luckily, she was antisocial long before her time in Faery. Still though, the thought of telling him the truth did cross her mind.

"I never really opened myself up to socialization, I guess. From the time I was old enough to understand what a dangerous place the world could be I never really got out there, except for that time I made my pathetic attempt at running away." It sounded good enough in her head but she wasn't entirely sure if he would buy it. Her eyes still darted from him, though in doing this she noticed an amulet that caught her eye. It was hanging from the lamp and she moved closer for inspection. It seemed to have some writing on it she didn't understand and it looked like it had gears. "What is this?" She said with genuine astonishment.

Oh, FUCK! Graham got a deer in the headlights look on his face for a few seconds. How could I have forgotten to put that away? He then got up and walked over to Emma, holding out his hand as if asking for the amulet. "it's a little something I picked up. I found it interesting. Have you found anything interesting like this?" He chuckled, then looked sideways at Emma. "So, are you going to tell me the real reason? or do I have to read your mind." Graham looked completely serious at the mention of the mind reading.

She picked it up from its resting place on the lamp and stared into it. She loved it. She cracked a smile about him saying he'd read her mind. She tried to hold back a giggle but it escaped once she looked at him and saw his face. "Oh, yeah, right. And I can craft dreams." She said smiling, but realized it was a poor choice of words seeing as she actually could craft the dreams of sleeping mortals. After a moment she reluctantly laid the amulet in his outreached hand. Her laughter died down after a few moments without a smile from him. "You think you can read my mind, then go ahead." She said, daring.

"Actually, I can't... yet. But, it's a real possibility. Can you keep a very important secret?" He looked into Emma's face hopefully. When she nods, he puts on the amulet and sighs. Then he concentrates and unveils his nimbus to Emma. The sounds of a carpentry work site fill the air along with the smell of fresh sawdust. Graham's skin takes on the tone of fresh cut pine. He looks into Emma's eyes. "This is my secret. I am a mage. I can impose my will on the world, and have it react. Now tell me the truth. Why are you scared? aside from the normal reasons."

She looked into his eyes but could not tell if he was joking or not. It was pretty ridiculous but she'd heard things like this before from her Court. Mages? Her stomach felt empty in this moment and it was almost as if she was about to throw up. Sure, she had her own secrets, but that was old news to her. She was an alien and her cousin was a mage.

She remained silent in all of this. Her mind kept going back to a simple pledge that was taught to her. It allowed others to see Changelings for what they really are. She took a deep breath..

"I can show you, if you'd like.. " She said solemnly. He nodded

She closed her eyes, set down her coffee, and slowly took the rose from her hair while speaking. "By my true name, I grant you sight for one moon. See the things of dream and wonder with eyes opened like the blossom of the rose. By your true name, you grant me the right to ask a boon, with the cycle of that moon. Swear that you shall grant it to me, so long as it does not bring you harm. Swear that you will keep this knowledge beneath the rose. And let he who is forsworn in this wake to find the thorns of this oath in him. Madness and ill luck follow you if you are false; I shall grant thee a boon, and be followed by misfortune should I prove false. Do you agree?" She said, staring into his eyes. He nodded.

"Are you sure you want to see what's on the other side? Be sure. Say yes, and I'll show you the way to the people who've hidden themselves from you all along. You'll get one moon, one month. But be sure. Swear it on your name that you won't tell anyone else, or you'll wish you'd never met me." Her eyes were cold.

"Yes, I swear." He nodded. She took his hand and pricked it upon the rose thorn, along with her own. She let the blood fall upon the rose pedal and he took the hint and did the same. As he returned to look at Emma, her entire appearance had changed dramatically. Her hair was thick and course like horse hair as it fell from her head. Her skin had transformed into a white oak that needed a good polishing as the rings were as visible as day. Her clothes had even changed, looking more beautiful and elabirate than ever before. Her joints were well-crafted to give full flexibility but contained many cuts in the wood. Her eyes looked as if they were painted on, but still moved. She looked terrified for a wooden puppet.

"What are you?" He said to Emma. Not What happened to you? or Is that wood? but "What are you?". It made her feel even more alien than she already did. She didn't feel relieved that someone knew her secret but only more nervous of the mistake she may have just made. He was trying to comfort her but it really, really wasn't working. She pushed her way out of the hug, seeming almost panicked. "This was a mistake.. " She said, dropping the rose onto the ground. She moved towards the door, but stopped and turned. "You cannot tell anyone about this. Ever." She said, and took a deep breath. "And you're going to see more of us. I suggest pretending like you don't see it, for your sake and my own."

Archived