World of Darkness: Attrition - Waking Up

Astra D.

I remember dreaming.

It wasn’t just a dream, but the dream, the only one that ever really mattered. The only one I can still recall perfectly, the only one in which I was really aware, an active participant in my own subconscious journeys.

It’s the only dream I’ve ever had that wasn’t just some bizarre nocturnal fantasy, some strange and phantasmagorical hallucination to be wiped away by the comfortable amnesia of morning’s arrival.

No, this dream was special. Not just because of what happened while I dreamed, mind you, but because when I had it?

I was dead.

How’s that for an attention-grabber?

I don’t really expect you to believe me, of course. You’ll raise an eyebrow, or roll your eyes, and think to yourself, “Sure. And there was probably a long tunnel, and a bright light, and everyone you’ve ever known and loved was waiting there for you at the end.” You’ll think about the parties my friends and I have gone to, and wonder what sort of bio-chemical goodies we’ve ingested, and chalk it up to a pretty wicked trip.

You’d also be completely, one-hundred and fifty percent wrong.

I guess that calling it “a” dream is a little misleading. You see, when I first started having the dream, I thought more or less the same thing you’re probably thinking right now. I assumed that the things I was seeing were just my brain’s way of dealing with the nights we spent partying and passing out on Loki’s couch with the television on. There were a lot of nights like that, honestly, so it made sense at the time. Looking back now, I wish I’d paid more attention to what I saw, taken it a bit more seriously. Maybe things would’ve turned out differently. Hell, you’d think I’d be able to tell now, if it would have changed anything, but I don’t think I’ll ever really know for sure.

I’m rambling, I know. Let me get back on track, and when I’m done, then you can tell me I’m crazy. And, trust me. I know you will.

Archived