World of Darkness: Attrition - Peer Pressure [Complete]

William Rose

I walked into the locker room and started putting my pads and stuff into my locker. Around me the other guys on the team were doing the same or already coming out the showers. “Tony, what’s your deal man?” I looked at Ted with an expression of complete bewilderment. “Are you gonna get a piece of that hot little cheerleader …you know man, ‘Anita the Latina’?” I rolled my eyes at the nickname, and shook my head with a negative reply. “Oh come on … start quarterback and head cheerleader … its like a fuckin rule that you gotta tap that man. And we all know you play by the rules man.”

I sighed, but before I could reply Jimmy added, “Yeah and with the season starting you’ll be going into that self imposed dry streak again.” For a moment everything stopped then the other guys bust out laughing. I couldn’t help but laugh too. It wasn’t precisely accurate but it wasn’t far from the truth. I had to maintain a ‘B’ average to keep the scholarship and during the season between classes and school I didn’t exactly have a lot of free time. Maybe if I were a little brighter.

I shrugged as I replied, “I dunno man she’s cute and all but you know how superficial those girls are.” I got a lot of very odd looks and so quickly added, “Besides with the party on Friday I’m sure there’ll be plenty of chances to dip the wick.” That set off another round of laughter and I smiled.

Big Tim one of the offensive guards slapped me on the back as he walked by. “Give the man a break, it’s not like he’s got to worry about a lack of ladies lining up to take a ride. And if Big Easy here needs to spend most of his time studying in order to stay on the team, well I’m all for it. I got your back buddy.” Tim always had my back, he was one of the best OGs in college football and had saved my ass from being sacked plenty of times.

“Thank man,” I said with a nod to Tim. Tim was enough of a friend that he actually understood why I didn’t just chase tail all the live long day. Tim was from Nebraska and he’d lived through a tornado ripping his family’s house to shreds. He understood what I’d been through with Katrina. After experiences like that your priorities change, it becomes less important to rack up a laundry list of conquests and more important to find somebody you can connect with.

Of course all of this made me think about Ashe. It was true, I was sick of the superficial girls and more so of the way that my status made a lot of the girls on campus assume things about me or act differently around me. As a result I’d started looking online. I know it sounds lame but at least there you can get to know somebody before they know who you are. For a few months now, maybe five or six, I’d been conversing via chat and email with a girl calling herself Ashe. To her I was LA_Guy73 not exactly a spectacular online ID but it’s doubtful she’d figure it out being that we were in Los Angeles. Ashe had everything that a cheerleader like Anita lacked, she was kind, sweet, and had a depth of character that you wouldn’t find in a vapid attention monger. I had no clue what she looked like or who she really was but that hadn’t stopped me from starting to fall in love, I only hoped she felt the same way.

Anita came out of the showers and walked into the locker room a white towel wrapped around her body and another one around her head which she was untying. Kelly was just undressing herself to take a shower and smiled mischievously at Anita. “Are you going to date whatshisnameagain?”

Anita rolled her eyes and said, “Antoine”

“They call him Big Easy!”, yelled Krissy from the shower obviously having eavesdropped on the conversation. “I wonder why they gave him that nickname…”, she giggled.

Now Anita frowned, “Do you girls have only one thing on your minds?”

Kelly kept her smile and answered, “Gotta enjoy life as long as you can, Anita. You’ll learn soon enough. Besides that, its like a fucking rule – the star Quarterback and the head Cheerleader.”

Anita shrugged and said, “I don’t know, Kelly, he is really handsome but you know how those guys are. Besides Football there isn’t much to talk about with them. I’m looking for someone who has more in common with me.” who can see past how I look, she added mentally.

“You’re going to end up a bitter virgin, Anita if you keep that attitude.”, said Kelly before she disappeared into the showers.

Anita waved her off and started to comb her hair. Of course that made her think about LA_Guy73 – not the most spectacular online ID but it seemed honest enough to her. She just made up an identity that sounded mysterious and was easy to remember – Ashe. And most likely that would make him believe that it was short for Ashley. His honesty reflected not only in his choice of online ID but also the way he thought. He was unlike any of the other guys she had met before. He was not focused on knowing about her measurements and what would make her go to bed with him. And if she would do a threesome, or maybe foursome, if she brought some of her friends from the team with her. He never mentioned anything about that. Instead they talked… for hours about everything. Of course he didn’t know who she was and she wanted to keep it that way. She was too afraid that once he knew who she was his behaviour would change. Being a local celebrity and famous and always standing in the spotlight had made her sensitive to other peoples real intentions. Especially men. She could handle the bitch-talk and envious stares of the other girls but what bothered her the most was that some guys didn’t even think of her as a human being – more of a thing to possess. A prize to claim. Someone to adorn their vest like a medal of achievement.

LA_Guy73 had everything she dreamt of. To her he appeared perfect and she was slowly figuring out that he must’ve been one of her fellow students. Probably a senior, too and she started to make some research who he could be though she already had her suspects in mind… among which Antoine was the most promising suspect.

She had started making some investigations about him and figured out his classes and schedule. She even changed her own courses to match his schedule as good as possible. She hoped that she was right about him because she already felt how she fell more and more in love with him.

Monday the 4th

I walk into the locker room but say nothing. The other guys all stop and look their eyes watch me as I move to my locker and start getting changed. The question that they all want to ask, to hear my response to, hangs in the air like so much fog. It seems to absorb any and all conversation quieting the room which should be alive with chatter and bragging. I can feel their eyes staring at me, none of them seem to want to ask and yet they all want to hear the answer. Finally Ted mans up and finds his balls, “Tony! Word is you scored a three way with Krissy and Kelly man. You gonna tell us about it or just wait until the rest of these guys forget to breath and pass out?” That brought a wave of chuckles around the room that was quickly followed by a chorus of “yeahs”. I smiled to myself, I like Ted because he’s outspoken and he has the stones to do the stuff that even this bunch of misfits won’t always do.

The room got quiet again quickly and I decided that it was do or die time. Can’t tell them what really happened but I won’t lie outright either. Time for a bluff. I turned, a sly smile on my lips and, I hoped, a twinkle in my eye. “A gentleman never tells boys, you know that!” I grinned widely and winked. The room all but burst into noise as “Oh shit yeahs” and “Go Big Easy” met with catcalls and laughter. Thank god they bought it.

I continued to put my equipment on while the other guys chatted it up. Somebody asked me if it was as hot as they could imagine; “Come on, look at those two, it was hotter than your weak ass imagination could come up with,” came my reply. Similar questions followed and I gave evasive answers as best I could which only seemed to enhance the whole lie for them.

Jimmy noted, “Guys, if this is how Brawlin kicks off his season long dry spell I don’t know that I can fault him!” That brought on a fresh round of hoots hollers and cat calls. I simply smiled. Until he added, “Tony, man, any truth that you tried to take some other chick home and Anita the Latina got pissed? I heard that there was one hell of a catfight man.”

I shook my head, “No nothing like that. Turns out this chick was on PCP or some shit, but no they didn’t go and tear each others clothes off fighting over me. I guess Anita was jealous. I swear those cheerleaders think that they are allowed final approval of any girl I want to bang.” It was the truth as I saw it. It was also an evasive answer. Anita was acting weird Friday night and I still hadn’t figured out why. It wasn’t some cheerleader possessive thing, she had looked at my like I had disappointed her personally. I shook my head and grabbed my helmet before closing the locker door. “You sad fuckers want any more info you’re gonna have to get through my offensive line and sack my ass!” I challenged them as I left to head to the field. Behind me cries of “oh snap!” met with “You’re on big man!” from the defensive and offensive lines.

Monday 4th

She walked into the locker room and started to get changed for their training session. Today they wanted to finish the last steps of the human pyramid which was supposed to be the highlight of their routine. The girls where chattering next row and Anita could hear Kelly and Kristy brag about Big Easy.

“He is so un – be – liveable.”, enthused Kelly showing with her hands his supposed size and Kristy only giggled. Instantly the other girls broke out into laughter and even more chattering.

“Hey Anita, did you get a piece of Big Easy, yet?”, asked Allison one of the smaller and petite girl of the squad.

The question didn’t do much to raise Anita’s moody condition. She walked passed the girls without really looking at any of them and answered a bit acid-tongued, “Antoine didn’t seem to have a good time at the party. I wonder what really happened…”

What followed were howls and bitchy remarks about Anita’s ice-queen behaviour and that she’d never find a decent boyfriend.

The girls started with basic warm-ups before they went to rehearse their routine. The Season was about to begin and this year they wanted to make sure that they had something unique and special up their sleeves. Anita was obviously not really present. She couldn’t clear her mind and concentrating on the routine was virtually impossible. She kept missing her cues and basically fucked up the whole routine while she constantly thought about Antoine. She had to find out if he was him else she felt she would lose her mind.

The girls started to get really agitated about Anita’s messing up the routine and for a moment it looked like a fight would break out between Anita and Kelly. Before things got nasty Anita broke out of the crowd and ran away. She couldn’t bare the embarrassment. What made things worse was that she had to run past the field where Antoine was to reach the locker rooms. She hoped he didn’t notice what happened.

As fate would have it Anita got half her wish. Antoine wasn't aware of the incident because he was getting some Gatorade on the sidelines. As fate would also have it Anita ran right into him on her mad dash to the locker rooms. "Ooof. What the ... oh, hey. Here let me help you up." Antoine dropped his helmet and reached down with his left hand to help Anita to her feet. "What's the rush princess? You gals finish up early or something?"

His voice was freindly enough and tinged with a casual lightness that he was known for. As he lifted Anita to her feet he saw her eyes were red. As much as he may have not cared for the cheerleaders as a whole Antoine was still a gentleman and he hated seeing women cry. Gently he asked, "I'm sorry, what's wrong? Are you ok?" His voice conveyed genuine concern though coming out of his stature and wearing pads and gear for football the incongruent nature was humorous, given different circumstances Anita may have been hard pressed to avoid a laugh, but today she was too upset to see the humor in the situation.

Originally Posted By: Antoine LaSalle

As fate would have it Anita got half her wish. Antoine wasn't aware of the incident because he was getting some Gatorade on the sidelines.

Epiphany (ooc: lyrics in italics taken from Staind “Epiphany”)

Your words they make just a whisper
Your face is so unclear
I try to pay attention
And the words just disappear
Cuz it's always raining in my head
Forget all the things i should have said

Anita wasn’t really aware whom she just bumped into until she heard his voice. She looked up to Antoine letting herself help to get on her feet again. Then everything slowed down around her and her heart beat twice as fast as it ever had. She felt her cheeks blushing and she struggled for an answer. It took her several attempts to say anything yet her mind raced incredibly fast with uncountable questions. Was Antoine really him? It seemed impossible to her but yet she felt how her heart made connections it shouldn’t. She was falling in love with Antoine. But what if he wasn’t him?

She shook her head but it didn’t help much to clear her thoughts.

So i speak to you in riddles
Cuz my words get in my way
I smoke the whole thing to my head
And feel it wash away
Cuz i can't take anymore of this
I wanna come apart
And did myself a little hole
Inside your precious heart
Cuz it's always raining in my head

Originally Posted By: Antoine LaSalle

As fate would also have it Anita ran right into him on her mad dash to the locker rooms. "Ooof. What the ... oh, hey. Here let me help you up." Antoine dropped his helmet and reached down with his left hand to help Anita to her feet. "What's the rush princess? You gals finish up early or something?"

His voice was freindly enough and tinged with a casual lightness that he was known for. As he lifted Anita to her feet he saw her eyes were red. As much as he may have not cared for the cheerleaders as a whole Antoine was still a gentleman and he hated seeing women cry. Gently he asked, "I'm sorry, what's wrong? Are you ok?" His voice conveyed genuine concern though coming out of his stature and wearing pads and gear for football the incongruent nature was humorous, given different circumstances Anita may have been hard pressed to avoid a laugh, but today she was too upset to see the humor in the situation.

“I’m… no. We are… just making a break. I need… a break. Are you? I mean?”, she looked embarrassed to her feet and back at him. “What did you just say?”

I am nothing more than
A little girl inside
That cries out for intention
That i always try to hide
Cuz i talk to you like children
Though i don't know how i feel
But i know i'll do the right thing
If the right thing is in fear
Cuz its always raining in my head

Why can’t he be him? She could tell him everything that was on her mind. She would close her eyes and let him embrace her while she would lean in close to listen to his beating heart and take in his precious scent. All the while she kept staring at him Anita didn’t realize that she was crying and weeping. She felt like breaking apart, she didn’t know how to go on.

"Uhh ..." Smooth, real smooth man ... Antoine bent over to pick up his helment allowing him enough time to at least figure out a plan of action. "I asked if you were ok ... buuuut ... I'm guessing I can answer that on my own now." Anita's expression gained a layer of confusion under the embarassment and tears. "Umm, you're crying so, like, you must not be ok... I think." Dude, what the hell? You may not be Mr. Smooth Operator but seriously what's your deal? ... Wait, you think she's pretty ... oohh, and you're still confused from Friday ... crap, you aren't listening are you? Hello!?! Antoine bumbled around a few other words before he was able to regain enough control to shove the gatorade cup into his face and take a drink. He stared at Anita over the rim of the cup wondering why she was crying, or, for that matter, why she wasn't just continuing to run off.

cuz it's always raining in my head

forget all the things I should have said

So i speak to you in riddles

Cuz my words get in my way

I smoke the whole thing to my head

And feel it wash away

"I... I can't.", she stuttered. "Oh Antoine...", she said with a warm voice and raised a hand up to touch his cheek. "Why?", why can't you be him?

Antoine looked at her quizzically, "Umm ... Why? I'm thirsty I guess ... unless you mean why ... actually I don't know what you mean. Why what?" It was odd the way she was looking up at him and the way she touched him. Dude she's got the hots for you ... duh! You should totally ask her out, you could hit that after a single date I bet if the other cheerleaders are any indication. Bet she fiesty as hell in the mmphh... Antoine shoved down hard on the lecherous voice in his head squashing it silent. "Umm ... are you ok? Do you need somebody to talk to or something?"

Talk? With him? Reality was slowly catching up with her again and with it her emotional confusion ebbed away.

"I don't think you'd understand, Antoine. I know what you think of me and I can't blame you.", her voice was astonishing sober all of a sudden and she carefully wiped the tears away making sure to not mess up her makeup. This can't get any more embarrassing, Anita.

"I'm sure you are a nice guy, Antoine but... I can't. This...", she shook her head again as emotions swept over her again. She was too confused to remain in control for longer than a few seconds. Again tears welled up in her eyes and she really wanted to cry but held back struggling obviously with herself.

Antoine looked down at the tiny woman, the situation rapidly spiraling out of his ability to follow, "I'm ... I'm not sure what I think anymore. I thought you were ... nevermind. I ..."

A bullhorn blast interrupted him as the coach yelled, "LaSalle! Get you ass back out on the field, you can hit on cheerleaders all you want AFTER practice!"

Antoine rolled his eyes, "Heh, talk about timing huh?" He gave an easy chuckle but still regarded Anita with eyes that held concern and even a little sadness. "I ... gotta go ... but, maybe ... coffee or a drink? Later I mean ..." He started to backpedal out to the field and downed the last of the gatorade before throwing the cup toward the pile on the sideline. He was moving slow and kept his eyes on her waiting for a reaction or a reply, something. Maybe she's not the ice queen after all ...

A flare of hope spiked her heart as he offered to meet with her later and she nodded to him, "I... I'd love to..." kiss you

She saw him backpedal but keeping his eyes on her and she made a few steps forward to make sure he heard her, "I'll wait for you after practice.", a brief smile swept over her face and she even had to laugh for a second before another sob broke her smile again. She just stood there watching him holding her breath.

Antoine merely nodded as he shoved his helmet down onto his head and put the mouthpiece in. Just before turning to run back to his teammates he gave her a wave and a thumbs up. I wish I knew if I just agreed to a date or to let her cry on my shoulder. Either way, mama always said it never hurt to be nice to people when they are down ...

Anita slowly turned away from the field and walked back to the locker rooms. Even if Antoine wasn't her secret internet-crush he at least made her feel better for the moment. Maybe he wasn't such a jerk after all?

She quickly showered and made sure to be ready for Antoine by the end of his training. She didn't want to miss him and give him an excuse to not show up. It was really strange to her, somehow thinking about him made her jump beat faster - there was something about him that seemed too familiar. She would have to sent LA_Guy73 a PM once she got home. It was a risk she had to take because if Antoine wasn't LA_Guy73 then she'd be at point zero again and would start her research anew. That was a thought she didn't want to explore in further detail. She prayed that her feeling was right about him, as confusing as it was. Possibly maybe? Probably love.

Later that afternoon...

I'm threading my belt through my shorts as the other guys wash and change around me and wondering what the heck would cause Anita to cry like she had been. Her life seems pretty darn perfect from what I can tell. Rich parents, fame, good looks, and tons of friends. But it was abundantly clear that she was upset. I'm not sure what made me offer to go and talk. Part of me hoping it'll be nothing more than that. OK most of me. She may be very attractive but she doesn't seem my type. Somebody yells something and I snap out of my reverie.

"... I said, what were you and Anita talkin' 'bout Tony? You gonna finally go out with her?"

I shake my head and then stop, "Umm, kinda, I guess. We're gonna get coffee or something." Hooting, hollering, and catcalls... typical. "It's NOT a date guys, shit she's not my type." They don't believe me, and I can't blame them. I shake my head and close the locker, "Whatever guys, the season starts up soon enough, no point in dating somebody right before I have to go celibate again right?" Their laughter echoes in my ears and the hall as I head out. What use indeed, I'll have precious little time for a girlfriend for the next few months anyways.

Archived