Aberrant: Ba'alt - Re: Nova?'s, Power levels, and superpowers

Narrator

DRPG=Diceless RPG= YUCK!!

At least from my experiance. I have read about the setting a tad and have learned some things. Trumps, or somthing like them do exist in rarity in this reality, but as of yet the players have not needed it. Someone always has telepathy..lol

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have I told you how much I HATE your Trumps. I have some serious scars from what you did to my Garou character. My Silver Fang still goes pee when she smells anything remotely to the Trump you used on her. She has another derangement to her list. I think I owe you a couple of demerrats for that one.

Amber types are just absurdly nasty... altering reality at will is a powerhouse ability. "I don't like you so I'm going to alter reality so that your powers don't function. If I'm really feeling unpleasent I'll do so for the universe." And they commonly view creatures that can't alter reality as not being "real".

Quote:
Does that universe allow for mutiple universes to exist at once? That is the only way that i can think of escaping these "gods".
See, that's the problem ... they know alternate universes exist ... they call them "Shadow" and walk through them at will. Whenever someone gets fed up with home, they take off to find a nice, private universe for whatever they're in the mood for, hang around for a few centuries until they get bored/homesick, and leave again. You'd actually have a better time hiding from some of them by staying in the same universe than you would trying to switch universes, because that would leave a trail they could follow.

Don't forget the 'fast universe' concept. If an Amberite wants to pick up a useful skill, train an army, heal up to full strength, or otherwise do something that takes time, he can just wander off to a fast time stream, spend a couple weeks doing whatever, then return home after something like a single subjective hour's passed.

And between that, and immortality, they have plenty of time to pick up skills ... so they're all master swordsmen, surgeons, or whatever else you might care to come up with. (c:

Quote:
You'd actually have a better time hiding from some of them by staying in the same universe than you would trying to switch universes, because that would leave a trail they could follow.
Ignoring teleportation since most of them can't do that, hiding in a reality *still* won't help. It isn't a matter of following a trail, they can just go to where you are. They leave this universe, and then alter reality until they are next to you (that's the way they think about it, in reality they are moving through reality but there isn't much difference).

The only reason this doesn't work for them much in the books is they often hang out in "real" places, where reality can't be tampered with in this way.

Wow! There is actually a game out there that you can have any number of God like powers, where you can bend reality to your whim depending on your power level, people worship you as if you were a diety, and potentially you can do whatever you want because your power continues to grow and grown with time?!

I wonder where we can play a game like that... style_emoticons

Quote:
I tried reading the Chronicles of Amber once many years ago but found it too try and dropped it after only a few chapters. Then I read Dune and loved it... I guess that tells you something..

He who controls the spice controls the universe?

style_emoticons

Quote:
<!--quoteo(post=543:date=Jul 28 2006, 11&#58;31 AM:name=Narrator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Narrator &#064; Jul 28 2006, 11&#58;31 AM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
I tried reading the Chronicles of Amber once many years ago but found it too try and dropped it after only a few chapters. Then I read Dune and loved it... I guess that tells you something..

style_emoticons
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

...desert power.

The Spice must flow.

Quote:
<!--quoteo(post=546:date=Jul 28 2006, 11&#58;57 AM:name=Rama)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rama &#064; Jul 28 2006, 11&#58;57 AM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
<!--quoteo(post=543:date=Jul 28 2006, 11&#58;31 AM:name=Narrator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Narrator &#064; Jul 28 2006, 11&#58;31 AM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

style_emoticons

...desert power.

The Spice must flow.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> ... dessert power. The soft-serve must flow. style_emoticons

Quote:
<!--quoteo(post=567:date=Aug 1 2006, 12&#58;00 AM:name=Jedi Richard Thorne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jedi Richard Thorne &#064; Aug 1 2006, 12&#58;00 AM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While Richard would certainly like to take a padawan or two under his wing to train, he actually has no way to identify who would be appropriate and who wouldn't...
Ask Allison to pick someone for you.

I think the problem is that you're not really a Jedi. You're a Nova...with delusions. style_emoticons

Thus, if there IS a Force, you couldn't train someone, cuz you don't have it. A force-sensitive person would have to train YOU first. style_emoticons

On the other hand, I guess if you carefully molded someone's worldview, and then forced them to erupt, you MIGHT get another Jedi on your hands. But given the random and highly subconscious nature of most eruptions, the caps on that might should be a mile high and flashing in different colors. You might also wind up with a four armed anthropomorphic rhino who farts cyanide gas. style_emoticons

I think the main issue as far as I see it is that your character is deluded as to the source of his powers. He's a fluke...a one in a million long shot. He can't train others to emulate that.

Now...if I'm wrong, you're not a Nova, and you CAN train others...everything I said is wrong. Since Asche uses the same system to describe all abilities of any origin, that could well be the case. Speak to the ST for what is real. style_emoticons

Quote:
<!--quoteo(post=570:date=Jul 31 2006, 07&#58;14 PM:name=Chronos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chronos &#064; Jul 31 2006, 07&#58;14 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
<!--quoteo(post=567:date=Aug 1 2006, 12&#58;00 AM:name=Jedi Richard Thorne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jedi Richard Thorne &#064; Aug 1 2006, 12&#58;00 AM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While Richard would certainly like to take a padawan or two under his wing to train, he actually has no way to identify who would be appropriate and who wouldn't...
Ask Allison to pick someone for you.

I think the problem is that you're not really a Jedi. You're a Nova...with delusions. style_emoticons

Thus, if there IS a Force, you couldn't train someone, cuz you don't have it. A force-sensitive person would have to train YOU first. style_emoticons <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Very insightful.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On the other hand, I guess if you carefully molded someone's worldview, and then forced them to erupt, you MIGHT get another Jedi on your hands. But given the random and highly subconscious nature of most eruptions, the caps on that might should be a mile high and flashing in different colors. You might also wind up with a four armed anthropomorphic rhino who farts cyanide gas. style_emoticons<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I am now concerned about your well being Whisper, please PM me your phone number and a councellor will be contacting you.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the main issue as far as I see it is that your character is deluded as to the source of his powers. He's a fluke...a one in a million long shot. He can't train others to emulate that.

Now...if I'm wrong, you're not a Nova, and you CAN train others...everything I said is wrong. Since Asche uses the same system to describe all abilities of any origin, that could well be the case. Speak to the ST for what is real. style_emoticons<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> I dont know how to make the last sentence there but it dont sound good. I do use the same system(mechanics) to describe all powers and talents but I am not really twisting the truth of novadom to make nova's not really nova's. Nova's will appear different to QA from Mages, Primals, Magi, Metafacultists, Noetics, Changelings, Shifting breeds, Kindred, etc.. SO I do try and keep them all seperate as far as power sources and definitions.

I dont know how to make the last sentence there but it dont sound good. I do use the same system(mechanics) to describe all powers and talents but I am not really twisting the truth of novadom to make nova's not really nova's. Nova's will appear different to QA from Mages, Primals, Magi, Metafacultists, Noetics, Changelings, Shifting breeds, Kindred, etc.. SO I do try and keep them all seperate as far as power sources and definitions.

--

Hee. I didn't mean to imply that this was a bad thing. Quite the contrary! Using the same set of mechanics ensures that our balancing is always fair and easy to assess. That is GOOD.

I only brought it up to say that I couldn't tell by looking at Rich's stats (his public stats) whether his powers were Nova-based or Force-based. There's no way for ME to tell. I have complete faith that YOU know. style_emoticons

It all depends on the paradigm of reality. In star wars, the force is a quasi-mystical energy field that "surrounds us, connects us, binds the galaxy together." "The rock, the tree, yes, even the ship."

In aberrant, quantum controls, manipulates and creates the 4 fundamental forces of physics: Gravity, EM and the strong and weak nuclear forces. Some like Chronos push it farther to control time/space (Rama also controls gravity as a function of the "curvature" or hyper-geometry of space/time) and those like the big and bad seem to be even more unfettered (Plank Scaling x 4+ Mastery! style_emoticons )

Clever Jack for suggesting Nova Proxy. style_emoticons very cool idea.

However despite the canon canned descriptions above, this is Narrators universe...apparently we have true magic (the spheres), garou and the changing breeds (the Gaian paradigm...spirit magic), Novas, Psionicists and the Technocracy (sphere magic as technology) along with psuedo-fae dream energies and probably alot more. IF narrator allows for "THE Force" to be a part of his paradigm you might ask him if that can be the basis for your powers, since us new kids didnt necessarily know all of the possible options for PC archetype. Of course you might want Richard to be a bit on the looney side! style_emoticonsstyle_emoticonsstyle_emoticons

Me...Im happy playing a "Super" Nova.

(UMM... Sorry Keeb for asking Richard the question. I didn't realize that there are so many of the "weaver" on the site and that many would want to know the fundamentals of the source of power. Argh! Can't it be they have the power because they just do???)

I am of the theory that it all depends on your paradigm. Maybe that is because I spent so many years playing in the WOD and that has really molded my RP experience.

I think it would be cool to stumble into the Star Wars Galaxy and see how the Jedi react to Richard.

And as far as I know, the 'Force' does exist in this universe. Richard could have played a Jedi instead of a Nova with delusions of being a Jedi.

COOL! style_emoticons For his ally is the Force...and a powerful ally it is! style_emoticons

And Kara, I prefer a balance of the full triat, Wyld, Weaver, and Wyrm ( style_emoticons oh my!)

Actually from Rama's Hindu/Buddhist perspective he would see them as modern incarnations of Vishnu (preserver), Shiva (destroyer) and Brahma (primal reality).

And of course one can "just have power" but just as in reality, everything has distictive characteristics allowing for study and identification. This becomes especially clear with abilities like Quantum Attunement, Psychometry, or gifts like "See the True Form."

Even mages use classification and identification in the study of their art, whether the spirit names of the dreamspeakers or the rites of the verbenna. It is one of the properties of our minds to develop symbols of complex and arcane languages...Angelic Enochian to Engineering mathematics....the unique power to Name. As Narrator has hinted at, Names have power (and biblicly was the first responsibility given to Adam.) In other words, a person "Named" nova will be vulnerable to certain detection (node pings) that a psion will not. In these cases, definitons count.

HOWEVER, aside from all that, I *DO* see your point about enjoying the game as it comes...more of a Bruce Lee, "Don't Think. Feel." approach.

Respect.

Archived