[Fiction] Philanthropy - The Sanguine Society

jameson (ST)

Since I totally dropped the ball last month I decided to put nose to the grindstone at lunch and drop this months first idea out there. It's a little short but I'm more of an idea man and less of a writer. Anywho ...

The Sanguine Society of Benevolent Novas

Who are we?

A group of like-minded, good-willed Novas who seek to help alleviate the shortage of blood available for transfusions world wide.

Blood for transfusions? What about synthetic blood?

Synthetic blood has two primary problems:

• Synthetic blood is very expensive and developing countries can seldom afford it
  • A small percentage of people, approximately 0.5% world wide, are allergic to the synthetic blood compounds.
On the other hand natural blood is donated freely to the Sanguine Society and has no allergic potential outside of blood-type compatibility.

What can I do to help?

Baselines and novas alike can go to any of our clinics world-wide and donate blood. Our blood banks are run by professionals who volunteer their time to draw blood.

Can anybody donate?

Any disease free baselines and any novas, whose blood is still baseline compatible, are able to donate. Novas with enhanced health and/or regenerative qualities may be able to donate more blood during each session and/or more often than normal.

Where can I donate?

We have clinics in every major metropolitan area and use novas with teleportation, flight, and superior running speed to courier the blood to any hospital that needs it.

I’d like to find out more!

Great, we appreciate your interest! You can find out more information on our OpNet site Sanguine.nva

~~~

Phil rolled his eyes as he finished reading the pamphlet. Talk about corny, he thought as he replaced the paper into the tray next to him. Still, at least there are novas out there besides Utopia that want to provide blanket humanitarian aide.

Phil looked around him at the others in the waiting room. He was clearly the only nova, or at the very least, the only nova who wasn’t dormed down. But it was good to see that it was busy. Since his eruption he had tried to do something productive but unfortunately his powers weren’t terribly useful to other people. Being able to regenerate at rates which were considered astonishingly fast for a nova was all good and fine but he lacked any other ability side from his inexhaustible stamina and his healing factor. He had actually tried to be a live crash test dummy but the scientists found that he was more resilient to damage than a normal human and, as such, was not a good model.

Thinking back on it his erupting had been probably one of the most anticlimactic things to happen to him. Granted he at least had his youth and a lifespan of god knew how long to look forward to, but he couldn’t help feeling a bit let down. Then a week ago he had heard how a new group was working to help the Red Cross with the seemingly ever-present problem of low blood reserves. He had contacted the Sanguine Society and told them about himself, they were very eager to meet with him. A few days later he had undergone a battery of tests which confirmed that he was pretty much the perfect blood donor. Type “O” Negative, he could donate blood that anybody could accept and between his inhuman stamina and his quantum born regenerative powers he was perfectly capable of donating literal gallons of blood at a time before he was too tired and needed to recuperate.

Now he had an arrangement with them that he would donate blood and act as a spokesperson for the Society. It was a pretty cushy job. He traveled to new clinic openings, made public appearances, and donated enough blood on his own to keep a whole army of surgeons happy. It wasn’t much but it was the best thing he could do and it felt good to be helping people.

Archived