[Fiction] [AU] Shells [Mature themes]

z-Carver

**The conceit of this story is the assumption that Carver and Mythic met in January of 2016 instead of September of 2015.**

Eventually, this fiction will contain mature themes of sex and violence. You have been warned.

Glasses clinked, champagne bubbled and people laughed, but through all the gaiety and partying, Carver was dead. Her body still moved; her eyes still flashed with bright blades and she still clung to the arm of the handsome man at her side, but everything else was gone. Too many betrayals and too much pain had hollowed her out, until just a shell was left behind.

Matt told his wrestling buddies another joke, and Carver laughed right along with them, even if she didn’t understand the humor. The important thing was that she stroked his ego with each giggle, and every bounce of her chest brushed her barely-concealed breast against his shirt front. From the way Matt smirked at her occasionally, her tactics were working quite well.

As usual, things were working out just as Arachne had planned. Carver wasn’t sure what the Terat had in mind for Matthew “Crimson Light” Simpson, but she was sure it wouldn’t be pleasant. Arachne had less love for the XWF than Carver did, which didn’t help her with her assignment. Still, her mentor had asked for a favor, and so Carver did as she was asked.

“Hey, doll,” Matt said with a smile as he kissed her on the cheek, “the boys and I need to talk some business. So how about you rub elbows with the rich and the powerful, huh?”

“Sure thing,” Carver said, letting her lips curl into a seductive smile. Light’s hands stroked her ass before he stepped away, leaving her gritting her teeth at the rude handling. I hate that man, she fumed silently before she turned and wandered away into the crowd.

Most of the people avoided her; no one really knew her. The men had all seen her come in with Light, and none of them wanted trouble over a hollow-eyed piece of tail, and the women were hesitant to approach the stranger. Those that spoke to her did so in passing; idle chit-chat that meant nothing. She wandered aimlessly, quietly noting bits of interest here and there that might relate to Light. Eventually she found a darkened room; with a sigh, she slipped inside, letting her mask drop for a moment-

A presence in the room scared her badly; she was slipping if she hadn’t noticed him before now. A thin, pale man looked up from a paperback book, his eyes catching and refracting light like a cat’s. Carver’s alarm disintegrated after she had a good look at him; this kid, despite being a nova, was no threat.

“Oh, you scared me!” she exclaimed, pressing a hand to her chest above her ample display of breast. The dress was scandalous, and Arachne’s choice; the white fabric was nearly painted over her torso, defying gravity as there were no shoulder straps or sides to hold it up. Her body was bare from her underarms to her thighs, where the full skirt flowed around her legs, concealing a little more of her body. Carver felt almost naked in this thing. But it certainly drew attention, which was the point.

“You’d be the first,” the kid said glumly, then shook his head. “Sorry… bad night.” He tried to smile but fell short of the mark.

He looked so sad and lonely, and Carver felt a stir of empathy, something that she hadn’t felt in a while. “Come out to the party,” Carver coaxed. “At least there’d be other people there.”

“I’ve already been to the party… I’m here, hiding from it,” the kid said, running a hand through blonde hair.

“That’s ok,” Carver said, moving to stand in front of him, “you can’t have fun at every party.”

The kid shrugged. “I didn’t want to be here anyway,” he said, looking at the floor. “Celeste said I should, though.”

Something in Carver stirred again as she looked at the kid; with a little smile, she waved him to one side on the love seat. “Make some room – I need off my feet for a bit. I’m Carver, by the way.”

“M uh Mythic,” he stumbled over the word as he scooted over on the cushion. Carver kicked her shoes off and gathered her skirt around her as she sat down, curling her feet under her body. “Harold, too… um, Harold Ander-“ His words cut off as her knees brushed his thigh. After a gulp, he finished, “Anderson.”

“Mythic?” Carver mused, taking another look at him. “You’re one of the wre- XWF Warriors, right?”

“Yeah, that’s me, the amazing Mythic,” he said, his voice shy and not at all right for the words coming out of his mouth.

“What’s your schtick?” Carver asking, knowing that ‘schtick’ was the wrong word but fairly sure he wouldn’t care.

“I’m a shape-shifter,” he said, and Carver caught a glimmer of pride in his voice.

“Wow,” she said, an admiring grin slowly crossing her face, “that’s amazing. I wish I could do something cool like that.”

His blush had nearly faded, but it made a slight comeback as he softly stated, “I’m sure your stuff is cool, too. You’re a nova, and most of us are really cool. Not Sloppy Joe maybe, but…” He trailed off awkwardly.

Social graces kinda skipped over you, didn’t they, Mythic? Carver mused, strangely charmed by his self-consciousness. Let’s steer this conversation to something safer. “So what book could be so interesting that it keeps you hidden in here?” she asked, grabbing his wrist so that she could turn his hand and see the cover.

“Oh, um… This is A Game of Thrones,” Mythic said, the blood creeping up his face yet again. “It’s a really good book.”

“It must be, to hold your attention like this,” Carver grinned. He gave her the biggest smile she’s seen from his yet – still shy but a little more open. To try to encourage him, she said, “So, what’s it about?”

Wow, you know how to ask the hard questions,” Mythic laughed, scratching the back of his head. “It’s a fantasy novel, but not a stupid or clichéd one. And really, it’s best to read it.”

“Do you really think I’d like it?” Carver said, mostly to humor him and keep him from introverting again.

Mythic gave her a real smile; talking about something he was so interested in had loosened him up. “I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t like this book,” he said. “Even better, it was started before 1998, so you’re reading it and going, ‘Wow, this is great’ and then you remember this guy wasn’t a nova when he wrote it.”

“It sounds good,” Carver said, taking another look at the cover. “I’ll have to remember to look for it.” It wouldn’t happen – she didn’t have the time to read it, much less buy it. But there was no reason to bum Mythic out with that detail.

“Here, borrow mine,” Mythic said, holding the book toward her.

“I… thank you, but…” Carver was the one off guard now, fumbling with her words. She carefully took the creased, battered book, not wanting to say no, knowing that she should. “How will I return it to you? How do you know that I will return it?”

Mythic barely maintained eye contact as he almost mumbled, “I think you’ll return it. You seem like a nice person.”

Oh, if only you knew. “Ok,” Carver said, fighting off the warm fuzzies his words had generated. “Well, just so that you know I’m not disappearing, would you like to meet tomorrow? I’m touring the Met, and I wouldn’t mind the company at all.”

“You want me to come with you? I mean, sure!” Mythic replied, his face almost glowing with joy. “Sure, I’d love to go!”

“Great,” Carver grinned, “I want to compare theirs to mine.”

“You’re an artist?” Mythic asked, looking suddenly more interested. “I mean, a real one?”

“I’m in town for a showing I have in a few days,” Carver said, rare pride suffusing her voice. “I scu-“

A sudden, familiar chant reached their ears, and Carver began to chant with it as she bounced to her feet. Grabbing Mythic’s empty hands, she pulled him up to stand in front of her. “Come on!” she shouted, eyes flashing eagerly. “Count! Five! Four!”

Mythic blushed and stammered, but he managed to finally join her on, “One!

“Happy New Year!” Carver exclaimed, releasing his hands. He started to calm down, but Carver wasn’t done. Her hands slid up his face to cup his jaw line; she started to lean toward him and Mythic’s expression changed to shock. His jaw dropped open just as her warm lips met his.

Carver had meant to just kiss Mythic, but once she started, she couldn’t stop kissing him. Her tongue slipped into the opening offered by his surprised lips; with a shudder of pleasure, Mythic’s eyes slid closed and his hand came to rest on her hips. When his hands touched her bare skin, they both moaned.

What is wrong with me? Carver wondered, even as she stepped against his body, taking him into her arms. His own closed around her as they clung to one another in the embrace, taking what the other was offering. In all too short a time, Mythic needed to breathe, and they broke the kiss, coming back to awareness to the sound of drunk wrestlers singing “Auld Lang Song.”

Carver composed herself, turning away from him with the pretense of putting her shoes back on. But before she was done, Light appeared in the doorway. “There you are!” he grinned, snatching her up in his arms. “I’ve been looking for you!” His voice lowered. “The ball has been attended to, and now there are other spheres the need your attention, doll.”

“Sure, let me get my things and say bye,” Carver said, moving back to the couch and picking up the book. She gave Mythic a hug and whispered, “Met, one o’clock.” Stepping back, she said, “Thanks for the company. It was quite enjoyable.” And then she was gone in a swirl of white cloth.

Light’s arm was heavy across her stomach, but it didn’t bother Carver as she lay still and silent next to him. The fine cotton sheets caressed her naked body, but they brought no more pleasure than Light’s touch had earlier tonight. She would wait out the night, unable to sleep, unable to leave just in case Light wanted her again. Arachne had been clear on the services and access she was to give to Light.

Her former irritation with Light had solidified into true hatred. Light had thought that her flashing eyes during sex were for excitement or desire, but it was barely contained rage. How dare he question her spending time with Mythic at the party? How dare he call Mythic a spineless loser! Her thoughts were wild, heated and violent – and irrational.

Her dark thoughts gradually led back to just Mythic. That kiss had been alive and real in a way that few other things had been lately. But he wasn’t here; instead, a selfish man was next to her, deep in sleep after possessing her body. But just her body; her mind was with another man, and her heart was long gone, killed by more betrayal than one person should ever know.

The book, she remembered, a natural place to go given her thoughts of Mythic. Easing away from Light a little, she dropped her hand off the bed, finding it on the floor where she had dropped it with her eufiber. A frown creased her face when she realized she’d bent the cover. Lovely, Carver, she thought to herself, running her fingers over the crease, wondering if she should replace the book.

She’d ask him tomorrow. For now, she opened up the book and started to read, the darkness no barrier to her sensitive eyes.

“We should head back,” Gared urged as the woods grew dark around them. “The wildlings are dead.”

“Do the dead frighten you?” Ser Waymar Royce asked…

Just before she lost herself in the story, Carver wondered what Mythic was doing now.

Harold sat on the edge of the bed, staring at the floor. His head was in his hands, his elbows on his knees. His body was languid, almost loose as the endorphins still racing through his system left his muscles relaxed. The after echoes of pleasure still raced through his frame, leaving lingering mouse-tails of bliss. He felt warm and at ease.

But he was utterly miserable. Is that all there is? he wondered, his eyes staring unblinking at the deep-pile carpet. Is it supposed to be this empty? Why would I have looked forward to this?

Behind him, Celeste stirred and turned over, murmuring in her sleep. Harold glanced back; her sheet had caught under her arm and her breasts were exposed. His body didn’t stir at all, and he turned back to the floor. Her fingers trailing down his back wasn’t entirely unexpected, but they caused him to jump and there was no pleasure in this cajoling fingertips. “Come back to bed, sweetie,” she whispered, kissing the back of his neck. “Don’t you want to be warm and cuddly with me?”

No, he wanted to say, but he just nodded and lay back on the bed. She curled up against his side, but Harold didn’t enjoy the slide of her bare skin over his. Despite having just lost his virginity, despite the beautiful woman curled up against him, his thoughts were plagued by flashing gray eyes and a passionate, amazing kiss.

One o’clock took forever to arrive, leaving Carver wishing she’d asked to meet him earlier. But that did give her time to do her duty to Arachne and satiate Light, leaving her free for the whole day. Her excitement left her almost giddy; she was emotionally drunk at the thought of meeting with him.

She didn’t stop to think about why.

A flash of yellow hair caught her eye, and Carver stood on tiptoe to see better. This time it wasn’t a false alert; Mythic’s lean form was jogging up the steps. His pale face was down, but his body language told her enough: he was unhappy. Concern suffused her but she hid it; when Mythic looked up at her, all he saw was a huge smile and a big wave. To her delight, all signs of gloominess disappeared in an instant as he returned her greeting.

“Hey,” she said, giving him a hug as he reached her. He started with a bit of surprise, but recovered quickly, arms closing around her waist.

“Hi!” he said, a slight blush creeping over his features. Carver found herself reluctant to release him; he felt so warm and firm in her arms… so right.

That feeling was more than a little scary, and Carver stepped out of the hug, her fingers brushing down the length of his arm as she released him. “Come on,” Carver said, taking his hand and tugging him forward. Her other hand pulled two slips of paper from her pocket and fanned them. “I got our tickets already.”

“Oh, uh, great!” Mythic said, smiling as he followed her through the doors. Once inside, he grabbed a map and held it up for them both to see. “What first?” He recalled what she had started to say last night, and he asked, “Wait, you said you were an artist. What’s your medium?”

Carver had leaned against him, putting an arm around him so that she could stand right next to him. “I sculpt,” Carver grinned, holding up a hand and showing him her claws. “What’s your medium?”

“What- how did you… I mean, are you a telepath?” Mythic asked, blushing hotly.

“No,” Carver giggled. “Only another artist would use the term ‘medium.’ I just guessed. So, spill it. Whadda do?”

“I’m not really an artist,” Mythic said, looking embarrassed. “I just doodle some.”

“I’ll show you mine if you show me yours,” Carver grinned proudly at her lame double-entendre, and grinned wider at Mythic’s wide-eyed blush.

“Um, if you want,” he said, not looking at all pleased with the notion. Carver wasn’t sure why; most novas who turned their minds toward something excelled at their tasks. Either he really was that bad, or he was really shy about his work. If it’s the latter, I’ll make sure he knows how good he is, Carver silently vowed.

“Oh,” Carver said, turning to meet his eyes directly, “I want.” The tension in her racketed up suddenly; she wanted him so badly that it was a taste on her tongue, like the bubble of champagne from the party last night. She wanted to kiss him again, to drown in him again and to feel his fingers over her bare hips. The thought of feeling that again darkened her eyes with desire, and left her breathing faster.

Mythic turned away first, looking uncertain. That left Carver uncertain as well; what was she trying to do here? She didn’t want to seduce him; she just wanted to see him smile. She sensed a deep hurt in him, and she didn’t like it. She let it be for now, walking with him into the depths of the museum, but her mind continued to work over the issue.

Their time in the museum flowed by effortlessly, and Carver and Mythic lost themselves to the moment. Finally, they ended up in front of a statue of two lovers almost entwined with scant inches between them. Together, the two novas stopped, studying the art – and in far more subtle ways, each other. Carver reached out and took his hand silently, slipping her fingers into his. He didn’t stop her or fight her; he just gently squeezed her hand.

“Mythic,” Carver murmured, then fell silent. What was she trying to say? She turned to him and he faced her, his blue eyes wide. “Do you… want…?”

“Yes?” Mythic asked, aware that they were both leaning forward ever so slightly.

Carver still wasn’t sure what she wanted from him; thoughts were coming to her mind, but she shoved them – that was way too forward. “Dinner? With me? Tonight?”

“Yes,” Mythic said, blushing a little. “Yes, I’d… that would be great.”

They were novas; both could have gotten in the door at almost any restaurant in town. But Mythic mentioned a diner that he loved, and Carver had no desire to say no. The diner staff knew him, and showed them to his table, clearly reserved for Mythic. The waitress, Myrrhia, grinned broadly as she set a glass of soda in front of him. “What will it be, Harold? And who’s this friend?”

The “this friend” wasn’t lost on Carver, who swallowed the sudden jealousy that rose in her heart. Who else had Mythic brought here? “This is Carver,” Mythic said softly.

“Got a thing for those ‘c-names’ dontcha?” Myrrhia said jovially, but Carver was catching something in the woman’s voice that was off.

Mythic looked both embarrassed and distraught; Carver frowned with worry as she saw his pain. The desire to know more about these other ‘c-names’ increased, but this was not the time. “Looks like it,” Carver said, turning on her charm. “In fact, I think you’ve made him blush.”

Myrrhia chuckled. “Ok, then I think my job is done,” she said, holding up her pad. “What can I get you two?”

“Four hamburgers,” Mythic said, then flushed. “Um,” he mumbled, “sorry. I should have let you go first.”

“No, no problem,” Carver grinned. Turning to Myrrhia, she said, “Just a hamburger for me, and a chocolate milk shake.” Myrrhia took the orders and left, and Carver casually asked, “So how many other ‘c-names’ have you brought here?”

Mythic frowned and looked out the window. His fingers began to shred a napkin. Carver wasn’t sure he was going to answer her, but he finally mumbled, “Just Celeste.”

“Who’s that?” Carver asked, taking a sip of the water. She had meant to stop there, but she heard herself say, “Your girlfriend?”

Mythic looked down at the table. “Kinda,” he said finally.

Carver could see his reluctance, and with an unusual – though it was becoming usual where Mythic was involved – kindness, she switched the subject. Though, she quietly mused, perhaps it was as much that she didn’t want to hear about Celeste. “So I read over two-hundred pages in the book,” she said.

“Really?” he asked, his entire body perking up. “Where are you at?” The shredded napkin was forgotten as an animated discussion about the book began. Carver really had enjoyed the story, so it wasn’t hard to keep up her side of the conversation. Mythic was careful not to give too much away, but they talked enthusiastically for a while about what Carver had read.

Myrrhia had cleared away their dishes a long time ago, and they had continued talking for a while. They had even paid before they were done talking about the book. Finally, they hit a moment of silence, and Carver requested, “Show me your art, please, Mythic.”

He looked away from her, the pleasure draining out of his face as the darkened night outside cast his reflection back at them. “It’s at home,” he said softly, “and I don’t think that Celeste would like me taking you there.”

Celeste again, Carver growled internally, but she kept her outer demeanor calm. “She would object to you having a friend over?” Carver asked casually.

Mythic shrugged and looked uncomfortable. The napkin, ignored until now, was attacked again, his fingers tearing it into squares again. “She’s kinda private,” was the only remark he offered.

Carver watched for a moment. Something about this was setting off every alarm she had. Finally, she tried to dig just a little, “Does she know you who you spent today with?” Mythic didn’t need to answer. “Why? If you couldn’t tell her, then why come at all?”

Mythic lifted his face slowly. “Because,” he said, his voice almost hoarse with tension and rampant emotions, “I wanted to see you. Besides,” he added in a poor attempt at lightening the mood, “I need to get my book back, right?”

“I’m not done,” Carver smiled, letting it curve into a teasing expression. She slid her elbows forward until she was hunched over the booth’s table, as close as she could get to him. “Are you going to take it back anyway?”

“No,” Mythic smiled, mirroring her position on the table. Their elbows were almost touching, and their faces were not that far away, either. “I’ll let you finish it.”

“Good,” Carver said. An idea came to her, and she bit her lip, unknowingly looking incredibly seductive. “Even if I can’t see yours, would you want a private showing of mine?”

“Ye-uh, your art, right?” Mythic asked a little nervously.

“What else could I be talking about?” Carver grinned and winked at him. She held out her hand. “What do you say?”

Carver avoided touching him on their trek across town and while she got them into the gallery; until she learned what this thing with ‘Celeste’ was, she wasn’t sure she should get involved. She kept that ideal in her head until they stood in front of her first sculpture, the two lovers. The minotaur and the woman strained against each other, the despair on their faces clear. The mood of the piece was of two lovers fighting each other despite hating doing so.

Their hands crept into each other’s, weaving their fingers together silently. “Your work is incredible,” Mythic whispered, his eyes locked on the statue. “I expect to see them start to move.”

“It’s sad,” Carver sighed, “it became such a sad piece.”

“Was it not supposed to be?” Mythic quickly asked, finally looking at her.

“I guess,” Carver shrugged. “I mean it was kinda suggested to be that way by the guy whose opinion I asked. But that seemed so sad… I consciously tried to steer it away from there, but that aura still came through.”

The next piece was Webs, and they stood silently before it for a long beat. “I understand it,” Mythic said after a long moment, and neither one said anything else.

They worked through the darkened gallery, the art all the more powerful for the half-lit gloom that permeated the room. Finally, at the end of the display, the two stopped, turning toward each other again. The darkness pushed in around them, urging them toward one another; hearing almost a siren song in her mind, Carver leaned forward, her lips tingling with anticipation. Mythic stepped away from her, drawing a deep breath, and Carver stopped. He has a girlfriend, remember? she chided herself. She needed a way to reduce the tension, and she grinned as an idea came to her. “Wait here,” she said and hurried off.

Within just a few moments, she was back with a drawing pad and a set of pencils. “Here, you can’t show me your art, so draw me something,” she said, handing him the pad and pencils.

“I… just like that?” Mythic protested, even as he took them. Carver nodded encouragingly, and with a sigh, Mythic straddled a bench, lying the pad down in front of his legs. For several long moments, he stared at the paper; shaking his head, he straightened back up and stared at Carver. “It’s… I just can’t, not without inspiration.”

Carver didn’t let herself think about what she was doing; she slipped onto the bench behind him and began to rub tense muscles. Is he tense because I’m asking him to draw, or is something else going on here? Only one way to find out: “So what can I do to inspire you? Would using me as a subject inspire?”

She couldn’t see his face, and she hoped he wasn’t rolling his eyes at her. It didn’t sound like he was when he said, “Yeah. Yeah, you would inspire me.”

“How do you want me to pose?” she whispered, her breath warm on his ear. Her fingers found and worked into a particularly tight muscle, forcing it to relax.

His head tilted back a little, bringing her lips closer to his ear. “How do you want to?”

“You’re the artist,” Carver answered softly. “Your choice.”

“Standing or lying on your side,” Mythic murmured back turning slightly to look at her, “something natural-looking and comfortable.”

“There’s a couch right over there,” Carver said, pointing out a darker corner. “Let me move it into our limited lighting.”

Mythic jumped up and helped her anyway, and soon Carver was stretched out comfortably, her head lying on her arm. “This brings back memories,” Carver joked, settling her hand into a comfortable position.

“Did you pose for an art class or something?” Mythic asked, not yet drawing. Instead, his eyes roamed over her, the couch; everything that would be in his final picture was being soaked in by his eyes. Carver could feel him internalizing the image of her, making it real in his mind so that he could make it real on paper.

“No,” Carver smiled, “I’ve never posed. But I was just thinking about sculpting the nude models in college.”

It was a casual remark, but it changed everything, just by putting the thoughts of bare skin into their minds. “I’ve never done a nude before,” Mythic said. “I’ve never had a class either – I took literature in college.” He glanced at Carver again, not as a subject this time, but as a preamble to a question. “Is it weird? Drawing a nude person?”

“No, I always liked it,” Carver smiled, her expression becoming distant and dreamy. “There is something pure about the human form that I like sculpting. Plus, it’s the best way to learn anatomy.” Her face became somber and she nervously licked her lips. Her jaw clenched for a moment; then she whispered, “Would you like a nude model?”

My pants. Are shrinking. By the second. Her? Nude!? For me?!? In truth, the comfortable khakis weren’t shrinking; Mythic was simply outgrowing their capacity. Which left him in a bind – and in a pinch. He started to stand up, hoping that would adjust things, but a glance downward made him realize that he couldn’t do that. He opted to slide the board over his lap and try to make small adjustments.

But if just the thought of her n-n-nu- yeah… gets me this worked up, what would seeing her be like? And then there was Celeste. She was his girlfriend, right?

“Yeah,” he said softly, and his pants became well and truly painful, which helped a bit.

“Okay,” she whispered, and those silver-gray eyes locked onto his. Her white, button-down shirt and khaki shorts melted away slowly down her body, revealing her flesh in a shy, hesitant motion. The eufiber – that’s what it had to be – crept around to her back. Otherwise, she hadn’t moved, but now she lay naked before him.

He couldn’t breathe. She was angelic, soft and heavenly on the couch; her head was pillowed on her arm and her arm was draped over her hip. Her fair skin caught what little light was in the room, causing her to almost glow. Her curves were amazing, perfect, and suddenly drawing was the last thing on his mind. But with great personal effort, Mythic picked up the pencil and paper and began to draw.

She came to life under his fingers, gazing at him with sleepy tolerance, with that hint that she’s just waiting for him to come to her and take her. And god he wanted to take her. Even the pain from his constricting clothing and the distraction from drawing couldn’t take away that hot edge of desire burning in him. Time and graphite flowed away, covering more and more of the pad as Mythic worked with a fevered intensity. Something was going to happen when he was done, he could feel it, and he raced toward it madly. What it was, was nebulous, unknown, but he strived for it fanatically.

When he turned the pad around, Carver gasped and sat up. She reached back for her eufiber, forming it into a robe and slipping into it as she crossed the room. “Mythic… that’s incredible! It seems almost real! Like,” she blushed hotly and said softly, “like I’m going to get up off the paper and come toward you.”

“You already have,” Mythic muttered. The pad slid to the floor as he took that last step between them, catching her in his arms. His lips found and pressed to hers as he pulled her tight enough against him to make them both grunt. Her robe was pulled down her shoulders with desperate hands, hands that quieted only when they found full, round flesh and cupped it in his hands. His fingers found those pleasurable points on the mounds of flesh, drawing a moan out of Carver. It was Mythic’s turn to groan when her fingers slid up the front of his pants, finding what he had hidden until now. Somehow, that tingling stroke was perfect, everything a caress should be, even with the sensation being muted by the pants. His fingers tweaked and rolled over firm flesh, and he knew how to touch her. He knew that this motion would be good, and this one alright and this one great. He just knew, just as she seemed to know on him.

The OpNet device in his pocket buzzed a certain tune, the only thing that could have snapped Mythic out of this moment. With a frown, he disengaged from Carver with alacrity, leaving her looking forlorn and befuddled. As Mythic stepped away and answered the phone, she pulled the robe over her shoulders.

“Yeah,” he said to the person; his eyes darted to Carver as he said, “Oh, I just lost track of time, Celeste. Yeah, I didn’t realize it was after midnight. No, no, you don’t have to go to bed alone… I’ll be home soon.” A long moment of silence was answered with, “I’m sorry to hear that. I’ll be right there to hold you, ok?” His body stiffened and he whispered, “Yeah, I… love you too.”

“Gotta go?” Carver asked softly, her robe already becoming street clothing.

“Yeah,” Mythic said, looking at the floor, noting that his pants fit perfectly again. “Management cut one of her roles in an upcoming event. She’s really upset about it. She… she needs me.”

“Ok, then,” Carver said. After a moment, she said, “I’ll call you, later. About the book?”

“Yeah,” Mythic looked up at her, smiling a touch. “Yeah.” Carver showed him out, silent and subdued. Great, not only did I scare Celeste half-to-death, I treated Carver like a piece of meat. Like an animal. Can’t I do anything right? “I’m sorry.”

“Yeah, me too,” Carver said softly, locking the door behind them. “I’ll call you.”

“Yeah.” Brown wings grew out of Mythic’s back as his form became more avian. With a snap of air, he was gone.

Carver had given up on normalcy. She wasn’t normal, and never would be; she was no longer constrained by human foibles or ideas of “proper.” But even this was a little weird.

She leapt over the alley, landing on the next roof over without a sound. Mythic was an almost indistinct black blob above and ahead of her. It was taking every effort she had to keep up with him – he was fast on the wing.

She wondered if he would see her, but not many saw her when she didn’t want to be seen. The black bodysuit was one with the shadows; the only thing that stuck out was the tube on her back and despite the flaw it created, she wouldn’t leave it behind. Inside… inside was a treasure.

He had made her beautiful.

The form on the couch had been sultry and sleepy, as if she had already made love that evening but was ready for still more. And the body – so lush, so seductive – on the paper… it made Carver blush just to think about it. It didn’t help that it looked like a grayscale version of her that would get up off the page. It was just an amazing bit of work. Of her. Nude.

Fortunately, he didn’t go very far; he quickly angled up and alighted with supernatural grace on a balcony. There was something so wonderfully erotic about the muscles swelling in his shoulders, about the way his feet moved to catch himself as he quickly landed. He appeared to take no joy in it; his face was grim as he yanked open the door and stepped inside.

Carver looked down; there were four lanes of traffic between her and Mythic’s building. She didn’t have any of her tools, and it was a long jump. With a growl, she backed up and prepared herself for the jump. She took a running start and leapt into the air.

It was as close as she came to flying, though most flights didn’t come to a jarring stop on the side of a building. Carver hung by her claws on the side of the building, swinging lightly. With a grunt, she secured herself to the wall and began to climb rapidly. She angled toward the balcony, and soundlessly slipped over the side. She ended in a crouch by the door, peering into the room.

Mythic was holding a weeping woman, and Carver felt her gut churn. With effort, she remained in place. But she couldn’t hear anything, and that ate through her patience. As carefully as she could, she wedged the door open enough to break the soundproof seal.

“-Minerva was more popular with the fans, and then I get home and you weren’t here!” the woman, who could only be Celeste, sobbed. She lifted her head to look at Mythic, and Carver got her first real look at her. She was slim and delicate, with auburn hair falling in soft waves and enchanting blue eyes. But for all her beauty, there were small flaws that left her imperfect. She just wasn’t delicate enough or round enough or just enough – and there was an aura about her that was a little off-putting.

Carver hated her within seconds.

“I was just with a friend,” Mythic said softly, rubbing her back. “I didn’t know you’d want me here so bad.”

“Why wouldn’t I?” Celeste said, her voice just shy of accusing. “Are you telling me I shouldn’t want you here?”

“No!” Mythic said, his voice thick with guilt. “No, no, Celeste. It’s just… you haven’t been really mindful of where I was recently.”

“You were here,” Celeste said, “whenever I came home, you were here. And I come to depend on that. Now I can’t.”

“You can,” Mythic insisted, stroking her hair, even as he looked conflicted. “I’m here for you.”

“Are you?” she asked, and Carver’s stomach curled. What, you think he’s lying, needy bitch? Carver growled to herself.

“Yes,” Mythic said, smiling before rubbing his nose against hers.

Celeste turned her face away, rubbing at her nose. “Your face is all greasy,” she complained. Standing up, she hurried into the bathroom, returning with a cotton ball. She rubbed it over his nose before standing back. “Better. And now…”

While Carver was still fuming over that precious little display, Celeste leaned into Mythic. She began to whisper in his ear, tugging at his shirt. Carver’s eyes widened in disbelief and she got angrier as Mythic’s shirt was removed. Oh, NO you ain’t, whore! That’s MY hard on, bitch!

But yes she was. Before Carver’s enraged eyes, they stripped and tumbled into bed together. At first, Carver was angry, but before too long, her eyes were locked on Mythic’s form, the surprisingly well-built body hidden under his clothes. Wow. But her appreciation of him was rubbed out by her increased irritation with Celeste; Carver wanted to go into there, claws swinging. She had to grip the balcony to hold herself in place.

She wasn’t sure she could continue to watch, but Carver began to phase Celeste out in her mind, until Celeste was just an object that Mythic was using. Carver’s hungry eyes watched him thrust in and out of the shell under him, and her body became hot and aching, longing to be under him, to be the receptacle for his affections. Her fingers started to stray over her own body, but that touch jerked her out of her bewitchment.

That is… so not me, Carver thought. She was so unnerved she fled, hopping over the wall and dropped several floors before sinking her claws in to catch herself. Still confused and unfulfilled, she hurried back to where she was staying, in Light’s apartment.

“Where the fuck have you been?” Light demanded, coming up off the couch as Carver walked in the front door. “It’s after one!”

“None of your business,” Carver told him, setting the tube down in a corner. Hopefully, if she didn’t pay much attention to it, Light wouldn’t either.

He quickly proved his full attention was on her. Carver’s hair whipped in a wild arc as he grabbed her by the arm and jerked her around to face him. “I was worried,” he said. His voice softened as he added, “I was scared that you had been hurt.”

Carver looked at his handsome face, so full and masculine, and she felt nothing. Even his thick red hair, hanging around his face so seductively, didn’t stir her libido. “I can take care of myself,” Carver coldly informed him. “I am an adult.”

“I don’t know,” Light snapped back, his legendary temper flaring, “you’re acting like a big baby right now.”

Claws would have been too much. But her growing rage and frustration needed an outlet, and Carver gave in. The back of her hand caught him across those fair, Irish cheeks in one of the most insulting attacks ever conceived – the pimp-slap. It didn’t hurt Light, but it started the fight without question as Light snarled and punched her.

Carver hadn’t been quite expecting that he’d strike her back, but when his knuckles split her lip against her teeth, she simply smiled. Oh, but this is going to feel good, she grinned as she threw herself into the fight. Both of them were able to keep their senses enough to hold back the lethal attacks they both possessed, but they were unrestrained with their fists and bodies. Back and forth they went, smashing into each other and the apartment with total abandon.

But Light ended it rather decisively when he managed to get her face-down on the floor, her arms wrenched behind her back with a thigh against her crotch, holding her tight against his leg. Carver snarled and started to twist away from his grip, but he suddenly groaned, “Oh, my god. You’re completely aroused. I can feel it through your shorts. Does this turn you on?”

It wasn’t from the fight, but the residual moisture and heat from watching Mythic. But it gave her a twisted thought: Light had felt bad that she hadn’t come last time, and he had said he was going to make a greater effort next time. But she didn’t want to feel pleasure from him; she didn’t want to scream under his body. So in a heated, begging voice, she whispered, “Yes, please. Hurt me.”

And he did. He really liked angry sex; in fact, he didn’t even notice when he dislocated her shoulder.

Light and Carver made quite the pair when they showed up at the charity party the next night; both still had healing bruises and cuts, and Carver’s right arm was still in the sling. Dr. Martin had told her that it would probably need to be immobilized for three days, and she was obeying the doctor’s orders. She had thought he was going to use quantum to heal her, but when he found out how they had gotten hurt, he had told them that they could heal naturally. I think he was casting judgment on us, Carver thought with amusement.

Tonight, she had gone for something simple in her style; the party was more casual for one thing and she was in too much pain to really visualize something elaborate. But she didn’t try to hide herself either; the low back on her black, sheath dress displayed the vivid blood bruise from the edge of the coffee table, as well as the teeth marks high on her shoulder. Light’s injuries were a little more hidden, but his black eye was still a thick purple swelling on his face.

They both got wide-eyed double-takes as they entered the party; after a few moments, Light’s friends began to drift over, unspoken questions in every casual greeting. Carver remained mostly silent, letting Light take the lead in addressing people. But her eyes noted things quietly, keeping her mind on the task of spying on Light for Arachne. Mustn’t forget why I’m here, Carver reminded herself.

But her mission was forgotten when she saw Celeste and Mythic across the room. She saw him the moment before he turned and saw her, and she got the rather carnal pleasure of watching his startled look morph into rage. He almost, almost rushed to her. He actually took a step, but Celeste’s hand grabbed his arm, stopping him. Carver grimaced at the woman as she pulled Mythic away.

It was inevitable that they would have to talk; Celeste had Mythic talk to everyone, and all too soon, Carver found herself looking up at those blue eyes, watching his jaw and fists clench as his eyes caressed her broken and bruised skin. “What happened to you two?” Celeste asked, half-joking. Her arm slipped around Mythic’s waist, and Carver raised an eyebrow at the proprietary motion.

“We had a little too much fun,” Light said, grinning broadly and winking scandalously at her. “Carver here is an animal in bed.”

Mythic turned an impressive shade of purple; Carver merely looked coldly at Light and said, “I can break the other one, too.” Light just chuckled and turned her so that he could kiss her cheek; doing so just happened to show Mythic and Celeste the slowly-healing bite on her shoulder.

"Don't have too much fun for yourself - someone might have their fun with you." Mythic’s statement seemed out of character, but there was no doubting his sincerity. Celeste shot him a concerned, unsure look; the angry lines in Carver’s face softened as she gave him a small smile.

Light just chuckled. “Come on, Anderson, lighten up,” he said, clapping the smaller nova on an arm. “It’s not like I made her do something she didn’t want to do. You had fun, didn’t you, doll?”

Before Carver could answer, Celeste began to tug on Mythic’s arm. “I see someone we need to talk to,” she said with a tight smile. “Have a good night!”

But that wasn’t the end of things; as the party progressed, people ebbed and flowed like water, and even Celeste and Light could not claim their prizes all night. Carver was struggling to hold a plate of food in her restrained hand, while she picked and choose food with the other. The effort of holding the plate level was making her arm throb, the slowly-healing tendons and muscles complaining about this exertion.

Hands took the plate and tongs from her, and Carver looked up to see Mythic. The long silence is thick with emotions; finally, Mythic simply asked, “Did you really want him to do this?”

It was harder than she thought it would be to lift her eyes to him and say, “Yes, I did.”

Why?” he hissed, frustration rampant in his voice. “I know you don’t like that.”

“You do?” Carver asked, half amused, half concerned. This was weird.

“No,” he murmured softly, his blue eyes wide and intense, “you liked what I was doing to you.”

Carver flushed at the memory, her body reacting as well, drawing Mythic’s eyes down to the outward sign of her arousal. Those peaks in the cloth caused him to clench his jaw until it looked painful. “Yes,” she admitted, “I liked it very much.”

“Then why isn’t Light doing that to you?” he asked gruffly, pulling his eyes away from her. His anxious fingers began to grab food, putting it on the plate.

Since food was the last thing on her mind, Carver ignored that he was effectively ordering for her. She wasn’t sure he was aware of what he was doing. “I don’t find his touch pleasurable,” she whispered, dropping some sticks of celery on the plate with her good hand.

Mythic’s hand curled around her fingers, trapping them gently in a cage that she never wanted to escape. “Then why do you let him touch you?” he asked, his voice tight and intense. “Why do you let him even try?”

“It’s complicated,” Carver said softly. She was startled by the depth of emotion in Mythic’s eyes, as if this mattered quite a bit to him. “I… it’s complicated.”

“It can be really simple,” Mythic insisted, dropping her hand as someone came too close.

“If you understood…” Carver trailed off wearily.

“Then tell me, and I will understand,” Mythic said. His blue eyes implored her silently.

Carver took the plate from him and gave him a sweet smile. “No, I can’t, and you don’t know how sorry I am for that,” she said. She walked away quickly, before he stopped her. She couldn’t stand for long against that warmth and concern, not without shattering and telling him things that she should not.

But he had shown her that empathy, and she would not forget it. And she had just the idea for how to repay his kindness. But she couldn’t implement it immediately. First, she had to wait for Light to send her away again.

Her moment came and she slipped away, all on her own. It wasn’t like this would make her feel like more of a whore. She sold her body to Light on Arache’s behalf, buying his confidence with her sex. This is the first time in a long time that she used her body as coin on her own terms.

She didn’t have much time, so she wove through the crowd with determination, her eyes searching out all the corners and groups. Carver was seeking one certain face-

When she saw it, she angled straight that direction. He was on the edge of a loose knot of people, looking like he was trying to be part of them, but unsure how to fully enter. As he lingered awkwardly on the outer edge, she brushed up against him. “Follow me,” she muttered as her mouth brushed by his ear. She didn’t pause to see if he followed, she just walked toward her destination. Despite trying not to look back, she peeked over her shoulder at the exit door. He was following, and her heart began to pound.

The garden was dark. There would be other couples out here, taking advantage of the darkness, but they would be blind to Carver and Mythic, just as Carver and Mythic would be blind to him. It was the courtesy that allowed these hidden couplings to occur.

Mythic stepped out into the dark, and Carver took his hand. He blinked at her in surprise, and between his second and third blink, his eyes became refractive. She put a finger to his lips to keep him quiet, even as she quickly tugged him deeper into the decorative foliage.

When she thought they were deep enough in the cover, she pulled him tight against her. His grunt of surprise was cut short by her heady kiss; his surprise stopped him for only a second before his hands found her body and caressed her. Before, when they had come together, they had been hesitant enough to allow moments like this to slip away, but Carver allowed no vacillation this time. Her lips were bold and firm, her hands strong and unwavering.

Mythic replied with enthusiasm, his hands traveling over her body. Even in his wild, barely-restrained fervor, he was unfailingly gentle, his hands avoiding still-tender flesh and her left shoulder. He found her remaining pain-free hot spots, caressing them as she did the same for him.

After long moments of tasting him and enjoying him, Carver slid down his body, tugging at his pants. With gasping, wild breaths he helped, revealing his body to the night – and to her. They didn’t have much time, but Carver still took a moment to just look at him, to see his firmness and fullness as he hung before her. She looked past that sensitive flesh to see him gazing at her, his eyes half-wild, half-tender. His hand reached down and stroked her face; she smiled, holding that expression as she licked up his length. His sudden gasp of pleasure was the most delightful sound in the world to her, but it was nothing to the strangled sound he made when she took him fully in her mouth.

Her tongue played over his sensitive tip, drawing near-whispers of words from him. When she took him in as deeply as she could without warning, he did cry out, his fingers clenching her hair. Her hands joined her lips, extending the pleasure for him. She quickly set up a rhythmic motion, driving him toward his climax relentlessly. When he came, she drunk him down without hesitation, enjoying the warmth of him sliding into her stomach.

With one last stroke of her tongue to clean him, she helped him back into his clothes. He pulled her close again, kissing her, his hand sliding up under the edge of her skirt. “No,” she murmured. “That was just for you, to thank you.”

“What?” he whispered, frowning as he held her tighter. “Why? Why can’t I give you pleasure too?”

“No time,” Carver murmured, wanting thank him all over again for that response. “Maybe… maybe later, ok? Now, I have to get back or I’ll be missed. You, too.”

“Wait,” he whispered, catching her arm as she started to leave. “I want… I want to see you again.”

“If we can,” Carver whispered. You may not like me very much after I get done with your girlfriend. Because I’m pretty sure she’s not going to take me up on my reasonable offer. She gave him one last kiss and melted away into the shadows before working her way back into the party.

Celeste was concerned. There were more accurate words for what she was feeling, but ‘concerned’ was what she had chosen. ‘Terrified’ and ‘pissed’ implied things she wasn’t ready to deal with at this moment. Something was happening with Mythic, and her meal ticket was in jeopardy. There was a distance there, and as she watched him help the nova with the strange hair, she realized two things: it was more serious than she had realized, and this other woman was responsible.

And it was pissing her off that this Cut-up or whatever her name was shaking things up. Celeste had dumped a lot of energy and effort into Mythic, taking him under her wing, getting him away from Jamie and moving him in with her; she had even slept with him! And for some clown-haired whore to walk up and think that she could steal Mythic away was infuriating. It wouldn’t have been a big deal, but that stupid nerd seemed receptive. Hadn’t Celeste given him popularity and a nice place to live? Hadn’t she fucked him, for fuck’s sake?

No matter, she decided as she stepped up to the bathroom mirror and checked her hair. Mythic was hers, and that was final. A green and red blur behind her flashed in the mirror, and Celeste’s gaze snapped to the reflection just over her shoulder. There was a long silence as the two women regarded each other; Celeste finally said, “You’re Cupper, aren’t you?”

“And you’re the woman who is manipulating Mythic,” the pale-skinned Carver said. Celeste blinked, surprised that the woman was being so forward and succinct. And she hadn’t even risen to the bait Celeste had offered, which was unsettling. The next statement cleared away all of Celeste’s confusion. “Stop it. Now.”

Celeste turned around, laughing. “Aren’t you the funny clown-haired little whore?” The tightening of her eyes let Celeste know that the remark had hit home. “Mythic is mine. And you can’t have him.”

“This isn’t about owning him,” Carver said, her voice soft with menace. “He’s a person. You don’t get to own him. I don’t get to own him. I’m being nice by letting you end it. Because if I have to end it, it’s going to get messy.”

“Is that a threat, Stop-n-Go?” Celeste sneered. “Please, say yes; I want to show you what I do to those who threaten me.”

“I’m not threatening physical violence,” Carver said with an evil smirk that certainly promised violence. “I’m giving you twenty-four hours to tell Mythic the truth: that you are a lying, conniving bitch who has blinded him. And if you haven’t, I will.”

“You’ll never see him again,” Celeste said with a smile, “because when I tell him that you threatened me, then he’ll never speak to you again.”

Carver just laughed, shaking her head. She was still laughing as she walked away from Celeste, leaving the beautiful woman fuming.

• 2 weeks later...

Carver wanted to keep her promise to Celeste, but Arachne interfered. Carver had two nights before her art show, and Arachne wanted her back in Chicago; it seemed that White Rat had returned from his exile. Grudgingly, Carver made her excuses to Light, citing family business. She tried to call Mythic, but was unable to reach him. This worried her, but she had no time to fret about it; instead, she was caught up in aiding Joe, showing him what had passed in his absence and catching him up on her work with his homeless.

It felt strange to be working as Ghost again; like a creeping cancer, the pain of her multiple betrayals came back. Ghost was surprised – she hadn’t even noticed it was gone until it came back. What had changed for her? Was it just being away from her home and all the memories? Or was it a someone instead of a something?

She had no time to give it much consideration. She worked on other projects for Arachne in addition to White Rat, remaining on the move night and day. She literally was warped back to New York by Twister with an hour left to get ready for her gallery show. Carver showered and rushed out the door of her hotel still shifting her eufiber.

The showing was everything one would expect of an art show – long and interesting only to those who were drawn to art. Normally, Carver would have had a wonderful time; she was very glad that she hadn’t brought Light as her escort. He would have looked nice on her arm, but she would have been worried about what would come out of his mouth. But one thing was on her mind: Celeste must be thinking that she had gotten a free ride. She was out there, hurting Mythic, and Carver cursed every drawn out second of the art show. When she was busy with Arachne’s tasks, she hadn’t noticed; now, these three hours dragged by.

By the end of the evening, she had accumulated another small fortune. She didn’t care. Money meant very little to her; Cade’s betrayal had taken all the love of seeing people love her art enough to buy it out of her. So when she left, it was with winged feet that didn’t seem to touch the ground. She’d touch base with Light later; for now, she had to check in on Celeste.

This time, Carver would be ready. She would get her tools, and scaling the side of Mythic’s building would be easy. But first, she had to break into somewhere else.

Getting into the XWF Records Facility wasn’t hard; most of their contracts and similar documents were public knowledge anyway. The hard part was understanding the damned things.

A pile of contracts was in front of her, and Carver struggled to decipher the legal lingo. There was a piece of the puzzle missing here – Celeste was using Mythic for a reason, and Carver wanted to know why. With a sigh, she set down Mythic’s thick contract and rubbed at her eyes, tired from the strain. A thought occurred to her, and with a renewed determination, she turned back to the cabinet.

Digging through the ‘C’s’ quickly brought her to ‘Celeste.’ With a silent chortle of glee, Carver noted that this bunch of papers was noticeably slimmer. With a concentrated frown, she began to read. Thirty minutes later, she paused, reread the last line and grabbed Mythic’s contract, flipping to a section near the back. “Sonovabitch,” she growled as she began to stuff papers back in their folders.

Yeah. It was past time to talk to Celeste.

Where was Carver? The question ate at Mythic as the days went by without word from her. Her art show was probably keeping her busy; according to N!, it had happened tonight. They had even shown some pictures from it, and how his heart had pounded when she had appeared on the screen. It was a little scary, but he loved it, too.

The clock on the wall chimed midnight, drawing Mythic’s attention to it. Celeste was supposed to be home soon, he noted idly, a knot forming in his stomach at the thought. With a sigh, he let The Storm of Swords fall against his chest. Should he feel that way about his girlfriend?

She was his girlfriend, right? She’d been the first person to talk to him. They’d lived together for months, and had had sex three times now. That made them a couple, right? Mythic just didn’t have any knowledge of such things, but he’d always thought there was more to it than this. And she had said she loved him… but did he believe it? Did he love her?

Mythic pulled his phone off the coffee table and flipped it on, looking for any missed calls. He was looking for calls from Celeste, of course. Not Carver. Regardless of whom he was hoping had called, no one had. He started to close the screen, but stopped. Some impulse, or maybe the memory of the emotions in flashing gray eyes, prompted him to check the caller history on Carver’s number. To his shock, her number had been blocked two days ago.

I didn’t do that! Anger shook his fingers as he unblocked the number, hoping this wouldn’t create a rift between himself and Carver. A quick call to her proved fruitless; she didn’t answer her phone. Was it because she wasn’t around her phone? Did she have it off? Or was she going to ignore him after days of thinking he was ignoring her?

The key scraping in the lock finished hardening the knot into a rock, and Mythic sat up on the couch, his face tight with anger. Celeste came into the room, dropping her bags inside the door. “You would not believe what Minerva told me today,” Celeste said, her face twisted into a scandalous smile, but that faded when she saw the expression on Mythic’s face. “Honey, what’s wrong?”

“I’m just upset at a screw-up with my phone. One of my friends got blocked,” Mythic said, his voice tense as he rose to his feet. Her quick hug wasn’t returned, but she didn’t notice or comment.

“Really?” Celeste said, unconcerned. “At least you found it, right?”

“Yeah,” Mythic said, his anger faltering as he failed to see any clues in her demeanor. “I know I didn’t do it – were you messing with my phone?”

Now there was a tiny falter, but not enough to say for sure. “Yeah, a couple of days ago,” Celeste said, heading for the bedroom.

Mythic followed her, his anger returning. “Why? That’s my phone!”

“I know,” Celeste turned to him, her hair falling in a lovely cloud around her face. She looked embarrassed and said, “I… was jealous. I just checked to see who you’ve been talking to.”

“That’s none of your business,” Mythic snapped, stepping back as she reached for him.

“I know,” Celeste said softly, “but love makes us do crazy things, right?” Her voice was soft and soothing, and Mythic felt himself calming suddenly. She came to him, slipping her arms around him and murmuring, “I know I shouldn’t have, but I just wanted to see. If I accidentally blocked someone, I’m sorry – that wasn’t my intention. I’ve just felt you being… distant lately, and I was scared I’m losing you.” She brushed her lips against his; when she got no reaction, she said, “What can I do to convince you to forgive me?”

“I don’t know,” Mythic sighed. “I can’t think of anything.”

“I have an idea,” she murmured, pulling him toward the bed. Reluctantly, Mythic followed her, his body slowly responding to what she was doing. He was just starting to get into the groove when she ruined it – ruined everything.

“Since you shapeshift,” she whispered as their bare skin was just starting to press together, “can you make it bigger? And a little different, just so that it’s better than normal?”

His heart sank as one thought shot through his brain – he wasn’t good enough at this; she needed something more than him. She was his girlfriend, and with a heavy heart, he started to trigger the changes. But Mythic had no chance to respond verbally; the balcony door shattered inward as he opened his mouth.

With Ghost’s tools, climbing Mythic’s building was a piece of cake. She scaled her way to the familiar balcony, the shadows and the wind her only companions. Peering in through the window, she could just make out Mythic on the couch, messing with his phone. While her phone rang in her hotel room, she smiled and started to push the door open. But the door was locked, and the lock slowed her down; it was a very high-grade electronic lock, and it repelled her efforts. She was just thinking she was going to have to knock and get Mythic to let her in when Celeste arrived home.

Carver settled back on her heels. She wanted to observe this, but the problem was that she couldn’t hear. The door was soundproof and without flaw; no sound passed though. Well, if it is soundproof, I guess I’ll have to un-proof it. A wicked claw appeared on her fingertip and she grimly shoved it through the sealant around the door, breaking the seal nicely. With her ear next to the tear, she was able to hear well enough to follow the conversation.

Gotcha, she thought gleefully when Mythic’s mood clearly shifted for no reason. Should I approach him now? What will I say – “Your girlfriend has been manipulating your emotions to control you, just like she did a couple of nights ago in the privacy of your home, which I violated to determine that she was indeed manipulating you.” I don’t think that will work.

But all thoughts were knocked from her head when she heard Celeste’s request. An image of Mythic’s naked length hung in her mind’s eye, and Carver knew red, hot rage. He’s perfect! How dare she think otherwise?

There were no more thoughts. Her fingers caught the top of the doorframe; her feet silently kicked off of the glass doors as she swung her body high. Her feet led the arc back, slamming into the glass doors with all her strength and weight. The double-paneled glass gave with an ominous crash, showering the near side of the room with glass. The bed was far enough away that the worst of the glass littered the floor between the bed and the door. Before either nova could react, Carver had leapt onto the bed.

Mythic was pushed further onto the bed by her black-clad form; even as he reacted, her red and green hair snapped in the air between them. That was enough to make him take another look at her, and Carver saw the flash of recognition even as she pulled Celeste to the floor by her hair. “How dare you!” she snarled, her voice cold and cruel. It was all Ghost as she pushed the other woman to the floor and pinned her with her legs. Night-cold hands wrapped around Celeste’s throat as Carver hissed, “Who are you to tear him down like that? And to use your emotional powers on him-”

As Carver had hoped, a soothing calm rolled over her, and she felt her rage abate slowly. With a murderous snarl, she threw off the effects with a desperate abandon, digging her thumbs into Celeste’s throat. “Manipulative bitch!” she sneered at her. “You can’t win – you can’t have Mythic unless you cheat! You have to use your powers to keep him dependant on you!”

“Carver? Wha… what are you talking about?” Mythic quietly interjected, moving a little closer to the two women. Carver could read the indecision in his face and his very naked body.

She can’t stop the heated lust in her eyes as she looked at him, but she did manage to stick to business. “Do you have a copy of your contract here?”

Mythic nodded and Celeste made a noise of protest. Carver cut off that noise with a pointed, super-powerful squeeze. “You can talk after Mythic has read a few things,” Carver grunted, “if he wants to speak with you. But if he talks to you, then the first time I get the feeling that you’re laying the whammy on him or me, I’ll cut your head off.”

Mythic had retrieved a familiar sheaf of papers from a file cabinet, and now he was sitting down on the bed to read them. “What am I looking for?” he asked softly, his voice tense and uncertain.

“Section fourteen, subsection nine, clause four,” Carver said. Under her hands, Celeste writhed, and Carver squeezed until she had earned a strangled noise from the pretty nova. Carver grinned cruelly, enjoying this little game of squeeze and release; she had nothing better to do while Mythic read the contract.

“I don’t understand this,” Mythic finally said, drawing both women’s eyes to him. “This… I didn’t negotiate for this. This never came up in the discussion!”

“Did you get help from someone in your negotiations?” Carver asked softly, her voice flat with the effort not to gloat. The look of fear on Celeste’s face told Carver exactly who helped.

“How… can they even specify this? I don’t… can’t believe this is legal!” Mythic snapped, slapping his hand against the paper. “How can they stipulate who I am seen in public with?”

“All I want to know is why,” Carver said softly, gazing down at the woman under her. “Why Mythic?”

But her blue eyes glared back at her and no answer was forthcoming – until Mythic, a sheet now wrapped around his waist, knelt down and asked, “Why me? I was just one of the wrestlers, just some nerd from the Island. Why did you pick me?”

“Because,” Celeste gasped, “I love you.”

“No lies,” Carver snarled. “What you’ve shown him isn’t love!” A memory of a half-heard remark resurfaced, and Carver hissed, “It’s because he’s the most unique shapeshifter in the world, isn’t it? No other shapeshifters can breathe fire or ice; none of them can create fear, or claws like Mythic can. He’s rising to the top, and you were going to use that contract to ride to the top with him. You’d always be on his arm at the XWF functions, always be around him when he’s in the spotlight. He wouldn’t have been able to take his real girlfriend, because he would have to take you. What a tiny, soulless bitch you are.”

“Har-cough Harold,” Celeste gagged as Carver’s thumbs tightened again. “Please…”

“Say the word, Mythic, and I’ll let her go,” Carver said softly, looking up at him.

“And if I don’t give the word?” he asked, his blue eyes locking with hers.

Carver felt herself become still and silent as she let the answer creep into her eyes. The only thing she said aloud was, “I cut solid rock with my claws.”

“Muhhh…” Celeste gurgled, her fist grabbing Mythic’s sheet and pulling at him. “Pleehhh.”

And he looked away from her, staring resolutely into a corner.

Carver’s grin became a death-mask as her eyes began to flash. The pressure on Celeste’s neck eased for a moment; the woman drew one breath before the pressure came back – and brought a terrible pain with it. The woman tried to scream, but Carver knew her business; her thumb claws sank into Celeste’s voice box, missing the major veins and arteries in the throat. The hissing, gurgling noises coming from Celeste weren’t loud enough to be a problem as Carver began to carve designs in the woman’s body. The shallow cuts she made didn’t allow Celeste to bleed out, or at least not bleed to death quickly.

Mythic had looked away from her, but when Carver glanced up at him, she found his eyes on her, watching her cut up the woman with whom he had just been lying naked. But his eyes weren’t unsure or afraid like Carver had thought they’d be; they were heated and passionate, and Carver glanced down to the front of his sheet. She wasn’t surprised to see his excitement clearly distorting the sheet wrapped around him. “Mythic,” she murmured, “let me see you.”

His blue eyes slid to Celeste, whimpering underneath Carver’s inhumanly strong body. His eyes were uncertain before they hardened; thin fingers grasped the sheet and flipped it to one side.

Carver sighed as she took in his sitting form, with his firm length proudly jutting forward. “Come here,” she whispered. “Let me taste you.”

“Oh, no,” he murmured, “I still owe you for last time.” Using the sheet to clear the glass, he moved around behind her, his fingers sliding over her thinly-clad body. Carver shivered as he followed his hands with his mouth, kissing her back, thighs and even over the round globes of her ass, his breath hot even through the catsuit. Without thought, her clothes melted away, revealing her body to Mythic.

“Oh, god,” she heard him murmur, but his fingers found her most pleasurable of buds, and she could hear nothing over her moans as he used her own moisture to create paradise of slick wetness between her legs. And knowing that Celeste was watching her find pleasure at Mythic’s fingers only heightened her own delight.

Her claws continued her lazy work, but Celeste was finally succumbing to shock. With a soft, sad sigh – that had not taken nearly long enough – she murmured, “We’re losing her. I can stop and let her recover some… oh, that’s nice… or we can go for the big finish and get down to some real fun. Mmmm… What do you think?”

“I don’t care about her anymore,” Mythic said, his voice shaking with desire. His hands ran up her sides, caressing her breasts just as he had done a few nights ago. “I just want you.”

“Let me take care of this, then,” Carver said with a cold smile. After all the fighting and fun, it seemed so anticlimactic to just end it, but Carver had something else that interested her far more. Her thumbs dug into Celeste’s bloody neck, and this time, they didn’t miss vital organs. A shudder passed through the nova, but Carver didn’t notice, for Mythic had snatched her up and moved them both to the bed.

Carver was put on her back as Mythic curled over her, kissing her passionately. Her hands were bloody, and she held them in the air, trying to not get the bed dirty. His naked body pressed against hers, and she slipped her legs around his waist, opening herself to him. “No,” he whispered between kisses, “I can’t… not yet. Soon.”

Tired of holding her hands in the air, she stuck one of her blood-red thumbs in her mouth, sucking it clean. Mythic watched her with tentative, hungry eyes as she worked her lips and tongue over her skin. “Would you like?” she asked, answering the curious yet hesitant desire in his eyes. She held her other dirty thumb toward him. “Nothing tastes better than the blood of your defeated enemies.”

Slowly, he brought her face to her hand, his fingers still moving absently over her body as he approached. She only needed to give him one nod and smile to encourage him to close his lips around her finger. The look of curiosity became one of pleasure as he worked his tongue over her skin, cleaning it for her.

Without asking, they both leaned in for another kiss, tasting Celeste over each other’s mouths. Carver and Mythic kissed harder, leaning into one another, their hands starting to explore each other with a new vigor. “Wait,” Mythic said, pulling himself back. “Just a minute, or I can’t… I want…” Without another word, he scooted down her body, positioning himself between her legs.

“Oh god,” Carver whispered as his breath brushed over her skin and hair; when he actually touched her, her pleasured cry was wordless. His tongue parted and stroked her flesh, sending a dizzying wave of sensation over her body. His fingers worked into her body, shaking her legs as they twitched around his body. She felt lost, adrift; her hands sought a place to hold, and found Mythic. Her fingers slid into his hair, caressing the only part of him that she could reach.

As she started to stiffen, just a little, he slowed his manipulations and turned his head to the side so that one blue eye was on her face. His tongue paused; his fingers withdrew almost completely. Then he thrust back into her as his tongue went into overdrive, and Carver’s back arched as she screamed her pleasure. Mythic didn’t let her ride it out; he kept the motions up, right up until she stopped shaking and pleaded, “Oh, god, too much… please…” And that was when he moved between her legs and pressed himself into her.

“God!” Carver half-roared, half-groaned, grabbing him as he settled over her. Mythic’s eyes were squeezed shut; his whole body shook as he slid fully into her hot, amazing body. Carver caught his face and kissed him, ignoring the taste of herself on him so that she could frantically dart her tongue into his accepting mouth.

When he withdrew, his eyes opened, and Carver’s heart, so long tired and empty, flared to life with fire and passion, and matched the awed and heated look in Mythic’s eyes. When he returned to her, they locked their eyes, each amazed by the passion they found there. The rhythm built between them slowly, rising in a carefully constructed spiral that bound them in an irreversible pattern. By the time that Mythic held himself still, emptying himself deep into her body, they were bound, and though neither of them acknowledged it yet, their course had been set.

He was flying. Three hours and six more positions later, he was soaring above his body. And he could go again, if he wished to; for this woman lying tangled with his own body, he could have given her more, much more. Unfortunately, as Carver had just pointed out, they had other problems with which to deal.

“What do we do with that?” Mythic asked softly, shifting so that he could see Celeste’s body. Part of him was horrified, but a larger part of him didn’t care, especially when Carver lazily draped herself across him to join him in looking.

“I can get rid of it, no problem,” she said, shrugging. “We’ll have to be smart and careful for a bit, but people, even novas, can and do disappear. I’ll just need to make some calls.”

“Calls?” Mythic said, holding her a little closer. “Can you really trust someone with that? I mean… you… we… If someone decided to use it against us…”

“No, they won’t know fully what happened,” Carver said. “I’ll get rid of the body, I just need someone to have her leave in the morning. I have a friend who is a copycat; if she’s seen leaving with luggage, you’ll have the perfect alibi.” She tilted her head back, and he saw the slightest bit of worry in her face. “I don’t want this to affect you, Mythic. I wouldn’t involve anyone who might get you in trouble.”

He slid his hand over her face, marveling at the smooth skin under his hand and the tender look in her eyes. The fact that she was concerned about him warmed him inside, and his fingers glided behind her head, pulling her close enough to kiss. She came to him willingly, her bare skin moving over his in a sensual slide. There was no hesitation, no holding back between them; this was what Mythic had dreamed sex would be like.

“So how are we getting rid of the uh, bo- her. It?” Mythic asked after they had parted for air.

“I’m going to cut up her body and have it moved out of here,” Carver said casually.

Mythic blinked. “And that will… work?”

“Trust me,” Carver smiled, winking. She gave him a quick kiss before hopping off the bed. “While I want to stay in bed with you for a few more hours, I need to get on this.” She stuck her foot into her pile of eufiber and it began to crawl up her leg. “I’ll be back in twenty minutes.”

It was a long time to the young shapeshifter, alone with Celeste’s body. He pulled his legs against his chest after a while, hugging them as he stared at the hollow coil that had contained the spirit of the woman he thought had loved him. She stared at the ceiling, eyes half-closed with a distant frown on her beautiful face. Finally, he could stare at it no longer, and he grabbed his clothes and went into the living room.

When Carver came back, he was futilely trying to get back into his book; after what had happened to him, not even George R. R. Martin could help him escape from his life. Mythic hopped eagerly off the couch as he heard movement in the bedroom and hurried to the room. Carver was constructing a moving box which appeared far too small to contain the body, but she had said something about cutting the body up. “So, um… how are we going to do this?”

“You don’t have to do anything, Mythic,” Carver said softly, setting the tape roll aside and placing the box on a clean part of the floor. “I can take care of this.”

Mythic reached out and grabbed her hand, stopping her and bringing her eyes up to his. “We started this together,” he insisted, his voice uncharacteristically firm, “and we’ll finish this together.”

Carver smiled. “Ok,” she said softly, leaning over to kiss him. Her lips were soft and perfect against his as they touched, and he felt another piece of him melt; even out of bed, she was warm and willing. It was so different from what he had felt with Celeste, and his heart sang with joy. Of course, there was still some hard times ahead; she had to break up with Light, and that wouldn’t be easy, but Mythic would be here for her. And of course, they had to get rid of the body first.

He helped Carver through the gruesome process. First, they lined the box with multiple trash bags; then they moved the body on top of a cotton sheet and tarp. The thick cotton sheet was layered almost like a diaper, soaking up the blood and fluids that are seeping from the body. “What about that?” Mythic asked, pointing to the bloody mess left on the carpet.

“Here,” Carver said, handing him a bottle. “Get a bowl or something and mix a cup of that with eight cups of cold water. If you want, you can use the liquid inside to start sponging up the blood. I don’t need another set of hands at this moment.” She gave him another smile, one which brought the blood rushing to his face.

“Sure,” he said, the excitement of having her here overwhelming the gruesome quality of their work. He did as she asked, finding the liquid to be a colorless, thick fluid with a smell reminiscent of vinegar. Coming back, he found Celeste’s body in pieces on the cotton. Carver was carefully lifting the torso, taking care to not drip blood or other fluids on the floor or the outside of the box. Mythic realized that she had more cotton in the bottom of the box, and more piled up to the side. “You’re really going to pack that in there, aren’t you?”

“Yep,” Carver answered, straightening up from setting the torso in the bottom of the box. “The Absorbitton will soak up the fluids and help keep from straining the box. The torso and thighs are the hardest to fit, and go in first. The head next, then the lower legs and arms, then hands and feet where you can fit them. And you keep throwing in Absorbitton so that it can keep soaking stuff up. And by the time you’re done, you have a body in a box that doesn’t look like it could hold a body.”

There was a long moment of silence; with a mixture of disbelief and admiration, Mythic asked, “How do you know that?”

“I had an interesting education after my eruption,” Carver said with a twist of her lips. “I once tanned the hide of an enemy who was obsessed with me sexually. He sent it to me as a gift.”

“Umm… wow,” Mythic said. “And you learned how to dispose bodies…?”

“No, not that day,” Carver said, “but Jager taught me later. Tanning was the first step.” She carefully fit the torso in before turning to him. “Here, let’s get you started on that carpet.”

Working together, they were done in a surprisingly short amount of time. It was stunning to Mythic how quickly the bloody mess became a bowl of red-tinted water, a neatly-taped box and a memory. They poured the water down the sink, rinsed the bowl and followed it with a dose of the mystery fluid. To his dismay, Carver mixed up more of the solution and proceeded to sponge down everything in the bedroom. Carver even got a chair and wiped the ceiling. She was meticulous and relentless.

“Shower time,” Carver announced, pouring the last bowlful down the sink; when Mythic stood uncertainly, Carver smiled and offered her hand. “Come on. It’s more fun when you have someone to clean your back.”

But before the fun was more business; the last of the mystery solution was worked into a foam and lathered through his clothing and her eufiber. They even washed their hair and skin with it. But once that was done, Carver turned to him with a smile and water-warmed hands, and Mythic found out why the shower was more fun with two.

Curled around Carver’s bare body and snuggled under the soft cotton sheets, Mythic watched the sun rise through the broken balcony window. It was perfect; a wonderful, magical sunrise and he knew in large part it was due to the terrifying, beautiful night he had just had. Carver was still and silent in his arms; he wasn’t sure if she was asleep or watching the vision of beauty with him. It didn’t matter – what was important was that she was here.

"We need to get moving," Carver whispered sadly. "I need you to do one more thing. Can you pack a bad of Celeste's things? Clothes and items she would take with her if she was going on a trip?"

"Yeah, I can," Mythic said, moving so that he could kiss her. Just as she had done all night, she turned easily and willingly toward him. He lost himself in the simple pleasure of merging their lips together, of the sweet joy of her body against his.

"Good," Carver murmured. "And when that's done, I need you to leave the building for a while; go for a walk. Make sure you seem angry and upset, like you had a fight with her."

"After last night, I'm not sure I can act like that," Mythic murmured, earning a blush from Carver. His finger traced softly over her skin, trying to delay their departures for a bit longer. "Why?"

"Because when you get back, she'll be gone on a trip, and she'll never come back," Carver murmured. She saw the question in his eyes, and she cut him off before he could ask. "My copycat friend will turn into her and then leave with her suitcase that you're going to pack... and a certain cardboard box."

It happened just like Carver had said it would. Mythic didn’t see the copycat; Carver made him wait in the bathroom while the copycat warped in, mimicked Celeste and left. “It’s better if he doesn’t see you,” she had explained, “and better if you can’t identify him later. You’re in as deeply as I want you, Mythic.”

“What about you?” he has asked, his voice and face displaying his worry.

“I’ll be fine,” Carver said with a smile. “I’m going to leave the way I came in.” She glanced at the shattered glass door. “Now, what was your story again?”

Mythic took a deep breath and began to recite the story they had worked up last night. He had been worried about how long Celeste had been gone. He had flown off his balcony to find her. He hadn’t entered any buildings, but had shapeshifted his way across the city looking for her in transit. When he still hadn’t found her, he tried to call her, but didn’t have his phone. He flew home to find her with someone else. He had shattered his own window flying through it in anger, but injuring himself had calmed him down so that he was rational. The person with her – whom Mythic had barely seen through the haze of red – had teleported away. He and Celeste had argued, and she had stormed out. Mythic assumed that she’d met up with her lover and was with him.

“Good,” Carver said, nodding when he was done. “Practice it all the time in your head, until you almost believe it. You’ve got some time before anyone starts to notice she’s gone.”

“What about you?” Mythic asked, sliding his arms around her for support and comfort. This wasn’t a pleasant topic he was about to broach. “What will you tell Light? Do you need me to come with you?” He grinned shyly as he added, “I shift into something that could fit in your poc… What’s wrong?”

“Mythic, I can’t tell Light anything,” Carver said softly. She looked on the verge of tears, but her voice didn’t waver as she whispered, “I can’t leave him. Not yet.”

For a moment, his world bottomed out, leaving him swaying on his feet. “So what was this, then?” Mythic said, gripping her arms, as holding tightly to her could keep her from leaving. “I know you don’t like him! Why are you going back there?”

“I can’t tell you,” Carver said softly, starting to pull back. Mythic’s fingers opened, letting her go, letting it go like he always did-

No. “No,” he said as his fingers tightened again, and there was a hard edge to his voice that he had never heard before. “No, no. You don’t love him. You shouldn’t stay with him. You don’t have to stay with me, but you shouldn’t stay with him.”

“Mythic, I have to,” Carver said, trying to pry his hands off her arms. “I can’t explain – please don’t ask. Just please – let me go.”

This wasn’t over, but as he looked into her flashing gray eyes that he wouldn’t get anywhere with this route. “Fine,” he said, letting go of her arms. He leaned in and gave her a kiss, asking, “When will I see you back?”

“As soon as I can,” Carver promised, returning the kiss. “I’ll call you, ok?”

“Sure,” Mythic said, gently cupping her face. “I’ll be waiting, Carver.” His voice held on last unspoken plea, and for one euphoric moment, he thought it had worked. Then something changed in her eyes, something he couldn’t see, and she was pulling away. For a moment, she was silhouetted against the morning sunlight; then she was gone and he was alone.

It was eating her alive. Carver spun and flipped through the early morning air, keeping a sharp look-out for other early-morning novas. This high in the air, the only person who could get close enough to identify her would be another nova.

She came around her last corner and released her line, letting the tiny wench in the handle take up the slack in the cable. She’d collect it and the grappling claw later. But those thoughts were far from her mind; instead, she was more concerned about tumbling into the fake air conditioning vent on the building she had been swinging over. It was just big enough for her, and not catching the lip of the pipe was a test of her agility. Of course, catching the lip became a test of her durability and healing factor, so it was win-win, as far as her training went.

Carver still felt better when she slid into the pipe, pounding into the back side before twisting around the curve and falling downward. She was rattled back and forth as she dropped into the building, wincing at the hollow booming noises she was making. Automatically, she gathered herself, and when she cleared the empty pipe, she dropped into an easy crouch. It was a covert way for her to sneak into this building, but it was still nerve-wracking.

There was the soft sound of Arachne’s skirts swishing around her body, but Carver didn’t move immediately. She knelt for a long moment, listening to her body to see if she had injured herself further. Her right arm hadn’t been given the chance to heal completely after the angry sex with Light, and Carver was worried that it wouldn’t heal right if she didn’t start babying it soon. But she had no choice; things needed to get done.

“Jael, darling, welcome back to New York,” Arachne said, moving to give Carver a gentle kiss on the cheek. But when she drew back, there was a calculating glint in her eye. “There’s something different about you. What has happened?”

“I’ve met someone,” Carver said, never considering dissembling to this woman. A soft smile curved the nova’s full lips. “He’s… incredible. The things I feel when I’m with him… I don’t have words for it.”

Arachne gave the younger nova a thin smile, only saying, “I hope he turns out better than your last choices have. Now, let’s discuss what is next for Crimson Light, shall we?”

“Of course,” Carver said, immediately settling down into business. “I haven’t seen him in a few days, and I imagine that he’ll be missing me.”

“Actually, he’s been seen with escorts since you were gone,” Arachne said, frowning. “What a stupid man – he’s offered a treasure such as you, and the first time you’re away for more than an hour, he’s playing elsewhere. A fool. But we can turn this to our favor.”

“Of course we can,” Carver agreed quickly. “What do you want me to do?”

Arachne thought for a moment before saying, “Go back to him. Be kind to him; give him whatever he wants. Deny him nothing.”

Carver went still. “Arachne, please, no,” she said softly; her eyes met her mentor’s and she begged, “Please, don’t make me do this.” Tears seared her eyes, and she captured Arachne’s cold hands in her own. “Please, don’t make me stay with Light.” Her world spun, and she couldn’t breathe, a condition she had not experienced since her eruption. She was hyperventilating, panicked at the thought of being back with Light.

“Jael, darling, I need you to do this,” Arachne said, and Carver felt the truth of those words in her soul. “This boy you’ve met; he is unimportant.”

“No,” Carver said, shaking her head, trying to think. Why was it so hard to think? “Mythic… he’s… no. He’s important to me.”

“No, he’s not,” Arachne said, her face darkening with anger. Her fingers caught Carver by the chin, forcing the gray-eyed woman to match her gaze. “He’s nothing to you.” Her eyes narrowed; her fingers turned Carver’s skin white as they dug into her flesh. “He’s nothing.

Carver nodded slowly, her face crumbling as she accepted the truth. Tears streaked down her face, and Arachne’s expression softened. “There now, Jael. It’s ok, darling. You still have me.” And Carver wept all the harder as the hard-earned passion drained from her heart.

Carver’s tears were dried by a dry, spindly hand, and Arachne gazed down at her with soft, loving eyes. The ogre appeared behind Arachne and before Carver could do more than widen her eyes, the massive green hands closed over Arachne’s face. The telepath was pulled down onto her back; it was a moment of strange reversal for the couple.

“Mythic?” Carver gasped. Her claws were out, and she glanced sheepishly at them before they disappeared. “What are you doing to her?”

“What you did for me,” the ogre rumbled, his ugly face kind as he looked at her. “I’m freeing you, Carver.”

“Mythic, I don’t need saving from Arachne,” Carver gulped, a shaking hand reaching out to cup a huge, coarse cheek. “Let her up, please. She’s my friend.”

“She’s not, Carver,” he replied, his voice firm. The black hair was rough under her touch.

Arachne bucked against him, and Mythic released her with a roar of pain. Carver gasped as she saw her mentor had transformed into a nightmare; long, black, spindly legs supported a misshapen torso that was both arachnid and humanoid. Most of her head was still human, but her mouth and jaws were now curving, inhuman fangs.

Mythic pressed a massive hand to his arm; blood and black venom welled between his fingers. “Look into your heart, Carver,” he said in that deep, guttural voice. “You know, deep inside, what I mean to you, and what she’s saying is not true.”

“Jael, darling,” Arachne said, her voice a terrible hiss, “you know me. I am your friend.

And this time, Carver felt it: that twitch in her brain that pushed at her, bending her to another’s will. And deep inside, a cage in her mind was burst open, releasing that hidden part of her, the only part left that was strong enough to fight Arachne. “Yeah,” Jael said, speaking for the first time in years. “I know you, bitch.

Silver claws arced toward Arachne’s head; the bulbous mass jerked backwards as Carver danced forward. Willa and Jael worked as one for the first time in their life, united by the goal of killing the woman who had lied and tricked them for months.

A spindly foot snapped out and kicked Carver in the stomach, knocking her back in time for Mythic to rush at Arachne. The Terat spun and shot a sticky web from her stomach, catching him in her webbing. As the two novas started to recover, Arachne jerked aside a grate and ducked into the hole, skittering down the passage.

Mythic immediately reshaped himself into a gelatinous mass, slipping out of the sticky webbing easily. Carver was already throwing herself at the opening, trying to wiggle through a passage that wouldn’t fit her shoulders. “Carver, back! I can track her!” Mythic shouted in his human form, pulling on his lover’s elbow.

Carver shot out backwards, clearing the way for him. As he shifted into an anthropomorphic lizard-man and scuttled past her, she said, “I’ll go down on the stairs and try to track you!” Spinning, Carver shot out of the room and through the abandoned building.

Down, down! she lectured herself, dashing for the rickety stairs and taking them two at a time. Using the barricades to spin around corners without losing speed, she shot down two flights and then started to listen for thumps in the ductwork. A soft noise above her pulled her attention up and in desperation, Carver did the only thing she could think of: her claws appeared on the tips of her fingers, and she jammed them into the ducting, trying to impede the progress of those coming down the ducting.

Mythic pursued the fleeing Terat, who was just visible ahead of him. Despite how much he might strain, he couldn’t quite close the distance between them. Still, he didn’t give up, knowing that Carver was racing ahead and would stop the Terat before she got away.

The duct turned downward, and now it was a balance between keeping up the speed and not just falling. While falling would get him there faster-

Arachne stopped suddenly, thrashing and shrieking. Mythic could see the cold glint of long, silver claws in the duct ahead and could smell the sudden coppery scent of fresh blood. Carver! He really did have the best girlfriend in the world.

And this bitch had tried to take her away. This bitch had been forcing her to stay with Light, who had hurt her. Rage rose in him, and Mythic didn’t fight it. He wanted her to die.

He wanted her to die as painfully as possible. Like in a fire.

The lizard-man’s features melted away as flame rolled out and licked over Mythic’s changing form. “Carver! Get back!” he screamed as the heat began to warp the metal of the duct. He wasn’t sure if she heard him, but it didn’t matter because they began to fall as the duct became too hot for Arachne to touch. Screaming and burning, they fell together.

Carver jumped back at Mythic’s words, trusting him. She knew he had caught up with Arachne, and she was willing to trust him when he told her to get back. She was happy that she had when she saw the duct work start to glow red, and saw flames licking out of the holes her claws had made. The next sound she heard was the slam of two bodies together and the duct bowed as something very large filled it beyond capacity.

Whatever Mythic had turned into should be held and locked there, but it wasn’t. The heat and the weight of what he had turned into tore through the old flooring and walls, crushing the ductwork, tile, and plaster alike. Carver heard them fall further, and the entire building shook as they tore through the structure. Carver fell to one knee, unable to keep her balance on the rolling floor.

She started scrambling out of the room before the shaking stopped. She was to the staircase, sliding on hands and knees when flames roared out of the room, as if forced up the ductwork. Carver’s heart pounded as she clambered to her feet and took the stairs in broad leaps.

Halfway down, they ended on a landing over darkness; Carver didn’t hesitate. Mythic was down there somewhere, and she didn’t think about her own safety. She dropped onto her front, sliding over the edge and hooking her hands on the ragged rim as she went over. Her legs straightened and came around, keeping her momentum, and then she let go of the edge, falling into a tumbling roll.

Her night vision kicked in as she fell into darkness, giving her just enough time to see the concrete rubble rushing up at her. Carver added a twist to her spin and landed on her feet, catching herself on her hands. She gazed around the room, but her night vision faded away with a snap, because she didn’t need it anymore. Not when Mythic was burning as he wrestled with Arachne, not when he looked like a demon from hell giving judgment to the sinning.

And no one had sinned more than Arachne, in the world of Carver and Mythic. And to them, that was all that mattered.

Carver sat back and watched the show; clearly, Mythic had it in hand. Before too long, the remains of Arachne fluttered to the basement floor in a clatter of black bones and a whisper of ash. Mythic himself sank to his knees, panting as the flames were pulled back into his frame, which melted back down to his human form.

Carver stepped forward, moving to his side and taking him in her arms. “Thank you,” she whispered.

“I’d do it again, and again. Whatever it took,” he said to her, gently smoothing hair back from her face, “to see you safe and free.”

“As I would for you,” she murmured in answer, and kissed him. He tasted of brimstone and burnt flesh and Mythic, and Carver loved it, because it was him.

“Now what?” he asked, holding her close.

“Nothing. Anything. So long as we’re together,” Carver replied, smiling at him. Taking his hand, she helped him to his feet and started to find the way out with him.

“Actually, I’ve had a thought,” Mythic said as they limped out of the building.

“Yes?”

“We need to have a talk with Light. He hurt you,” Mythic said, and his voice was hard. “Like I warned him – be careful, because someone might have their fun with you. And I’m in the mood for some fun.” Carver’s grin was just as harsh as Mythic’s as she eagerly nodded.

Together, they were fulfilled, or so they thought. But they were still walking shells, empty and soulless. But they echoed into each other, filling and refilling sound into one another until they felt full and complete.

And for empty shells, false fulfillment was enough.

- The End -

Archived